Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Kommando
Nov 30, 2009

Seriously Clive, even you have to admit this is the most extraordinary bullshit.

Has made it to America, one confirmed infection. One death in London.

Click here for the full 842x558 image
http://coronamap.com/

MERS or Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (aka 'Saudi SARS') is a new type of Coronavirus that is currently identified as coming from bats and camels.

quote:

The Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV),[1] also termed EMC/2012 (HCoV-EMC/2012), is positive-sense, single-stranded RNA novel species of the genus Betacoronavirus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle...ome_coronavirus

This poo poo currently has killed over a hundred people and has a 27% mortality rate so far. It is gradually making its way through the middle east and out into europe. And has now made it to american soil. Has not made it to Australia yet.

quote:

Exclusive: Specter of SARS weighs on CDC as MERS virus lands in U.S

When the SARS outbreak arrived in Toronto on February 23, 2003, carried by a woman traveling from Hong Kong, the disease quickly spread to hospital workers and patients in area hospitals, ultimately infecting 257 individuals and killing 33 people.

It's a memory that hangs fresh in the mind of Dr Michael Bell, deputy director of the division of healthcare quality promotion at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Atlanta-based federal agency last week sent a team of infectious disease experts to Community Hospital in Munster, Indiana, to attend to the first confirmed U.S. case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome or MERS.

"We take this very seriously," Bell told Reuters in an exclusive interview. "In a worst-case scenario, this could spread rapidly."

MERS is caused by a coronavirus, a family of viruses that includes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome or SARS, which emerged in China in 2002-2003 and killed some 800 people.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...EA4308R20140504

World Health Organisation has declared it an emergent threat to humanity.
A researcher in the Middle East sent a sample to a colleague in the Netherlands who tried to patent the virus genome. What a cock.

This may be the next Bird Flu/SARS/Swineflu pandemic.

If you can read science talk this is a journal article on it
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3700179/

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ng-ready-or-not
Map of infection: http://coronamap.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDowell
Aug 1, 2008

Surely, Caligula was my greatest role

I hope this is the pandemic that wipes out most humans, but I doubt it.

Kommando
Nov 30, 2009

Seriously Clive, even you have to admit this is the most extraordinary bullshit.

Considering how your american news is poo poo and focused totally on how your new health insurance scheme is killing whole economies, I'd hate for you to all die of Camel Flu and miss the irony.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012
Who do I have to piss off to get a red title?

OK so what do you want us to do, OP?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

oh no one hundred loving deaths bring out the plague wagon and get ready for half the loving world to die

more people probably killed themselves in the last hour than this plague has killed since existing. hopefully you'll die of one or the other soon, op

McDowell
Aug 1, 2008

Surely, Caligula was my greatest role

We've had 10 + years of Pandemic Panic on the news so it's ho hum until the causalities pile up.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

I want to be the guy ringing the bell going "bring out your dead". anyone know if they got good bennies? linkedin proflies only pls

porkchop_express fucked around with this message at May 5, 2014 around 02:05

ALL-PRO SEXMAN
Nov 8, 2006

Veni, vidi, Lombardi.

i'm sure throwing acid at women and praying extra hard to allah will cure us

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

is this like sars where it's basically just a nasty cold for healthy people

Kommando
Nov 30, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

OK so what do you want us to do, OP?

COVER YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU SNEEZE.

It's polite.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

Kommando posted:

COVER YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU SNEEZE.

It's polite.

So you're nothing but a scaremongering shithead, gently caress off.

Feminition
Mar 14, 2008

To me,
my X-Men.

i caught swine flu when it first outbreaked in az so i'll keep y'all posted on how mers is like when it inevitably hits me

Pumpy Muffinz
Aug 11, 2008

Banned?

I really don't want my camel to kill me. I wouldn't like that

Fandyien
Feb 10, 2012

Delicious

so what steps can i take to prevent my camel from infecting me when i gently caress it?

Kommando
Nov 30, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

So you're nothing but a scaremongering shithead, gently caress off.

when scientists say "this is a real concern" noone cares
When newscasters say "END OF THE WORLD" everyone panics, and then stops caring.

wheres the happy medium of informed awareness?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

is this like sars where it's basically just a nasty cold for healthy people

probably like every other disease it will kill really old people or babies or people too retarded to go to the doctor so no real net loss

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

kmmandoue plz calm your plague boner

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Fandyien posted:

so what steps can i take to prevent my camel from infecting me when i gently caress it?

stick to anal for now until your sure

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

im a gay doug

time to start shakin with my left hand

Fandyien
Feb 10, 2012

Delicious

porkchop_express posted:

stick to anal for now until your sure

what about blowies

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/health/mers-camels/

quote:

Researchers from Columbia University, King Saud University and the New York-based EcoHealth Alliance managed to isolate live MERS virus from two single-humped camels, known as dromedaries.

Ok who humped a camel

Kommando
Nov 30, 2009

First real post in GBS, not sure of the etiquette of newsposts. Should this go in D&D instead?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

Kommando posted:

First real post in GBS, not sure of the etiquette of newsposts. Should this go in D&D instead?

it should go up your loving rear end so the coroner has a nice surprise after you kill yourself

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Feminition posted:

i caught swine flu when it first outbreaked in az so i'll keep y'all posted on how mers is like when it inevitably hits me

I caught it in the first big wave, and the flu itself wasn't bad. The symptoms weren't bad at all, really, just a bad cough, fever, and some aches. But- after I started getting over it I ended up getting pneumonia in both lungs and lost 15-20 pounds and it damaged my lungs.

loving swine flu.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 11, 2014

I don't think Muslim diseases have any affect on humans.

Fandyien
Feb 10, 2012

Delicious

Kommando posted:

nah

Kommando
Nov 30, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

I'm a stinkyhole who thinks children committing suicide is funny. I'm a stinkyhole. I'm a stinkyhole. I'm a stinkyhole.

Cheers redtext, have a great day mate. dont drink the camel milk.

This is good. ok then.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

Kommando posted:

Cheers redtext, have a great day mate. dont drink the camel milk.

This is good. ok then.

wow good job you can read more than just news articles keep it up and maybe you can copy paste a novel you've found

Fandyien
Feb 10, 2012

Delicious

whenever i hear about this i just think of a camel wheezing and struggling to walk

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a virtual My Little Pony avatar"

Rename DDRD to Your Camel Sucks

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Oh yeah.

I just need to know if Obama is for or against this before I can make any sort of decision on what we should do about it.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

Kommando posted:

GBS stands for General BullShit, is your post bullshit? No? Then it doesn't belong here.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Fandyien posted:

whenever i hear about this i just think of a camel wheezing and struggling to walk

and then some dude dry humping it.

Feminition
Mar 14, 2008

To me,
my X-Men.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I caught it in the first big wave, and the flu itself wasn't bad. The symptoms weren't bad at all, really, just a bad cough, fever, and some aches. But- after I started getting over it I ended up getting pneumonia in both lungs and lost 15-20 pounds and it damaged my lungs.

loving swine flu.

poo poo, yeah, i got the pneumonia thing! i was a teenager at the time, so i spent a fuckin week sitting in childs pose in front of the tv and getting the mucus knocked out of my lungs by my mother which was p awful

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8kUGETTFA

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

CRS (canadian respiratory syndrome) apparently linked to bear populations and human "contact"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ovXnZcb_A

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Discount apes for business or pleasure.

the best case scenario is that all cis die and the troons inherit the earth.

how ironic that the death of conventional genders comes from the most binary of animals (camel)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

EugeneJ posted:

Ok who humped a camel

every man in the middle east sheepishly raises hand

Pumpy Muffinz
Aug 11, 2008

Banned?

Business Gorillas posted:

the best case scenario is that all cis die and the troons inherit the earth.

how ironic that the death of conventional genders comes from the most binary of animals (camel)

ha ha you actually used cis like it's a real word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

ha ha you actually used cis like it's a real word

it is though. blame the ancient greeks

«3 »