Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
When will the first one open, and what will it mean for Habaneros and Cubans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
On my last visit, a bartender in Vedado swore to me that there are modular Starbucks and McDonald's on a cargo ship in Miami, waiting to go. I asked him if he'd work at one, and he responded with an emphatic "Pues sí." Personally, I don't look forward to seeing Havana become Coconut Grove South, but that's for selfish aesthetic reasons.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheImmigrant posted:

On my last visit, a bartender in Vedado swore to me

I didn't know you were Milton Friedman.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cuba has been buying soybean meal from the states for a few years now. I think it was arranged through the Venezuelans (who also buy US soybean meal). A couple of Starbucks or McDonalds, meh, there is already trade in bulk commodities going on.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

On my last visit, a bartender in Vedado swore to me that there are modular Starbucks and McDonald's on a cargo ship in Miami, waiting to go. I asked him if he'd work at one, and he responded with an emphatic "Pues sí." Personally, I don't look forward to seeing Havana become Coconut Grove South, but that's for selfish aesthetic reasons.

Try changing races and asking him again

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You mean Thomas.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

I think you mean Tom Friedman, Cuba doesn't have copper mines nearly robust enough to pique Milton's interest. :colbert:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The next few months will be really important for starbucks in Havana.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

I think you mean Tom Friedman, Cuba doesn't have copper mines nearly robust enough to pique Milton's interest. :colbert:

I thought there was BigCopper in Moa. Maybe it's nickel.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

TheImmigrant posted:

I thought there was BigCopper in Moa. Maybe it's nickel.

Honestly don't know (I think it is nickel, for what it's worth), I was just being a wiseass about Milton Friedman and the Chicago School and its influence on the policy reaction to Chile's nationalization of the copper industry.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

Honestly don't know (I think it is nickel, for what it's worth), I was just being a wiseass about Milton Friedman and the Chicago School and its influence on the policy reaction to Chile's nationalization of the copper industry.

It is nickel, I checked. Moa is a shining example of Marxist environmental policies. Seriously though, Havana is like a time warp. No advertising, no chains, very little business. The first time I visited, in 2002, I never could've predicted the status quo would still be in place a dozen years later. City of several million, a handful of restaurants open. Operating a restaurant is a capitalist endeavor, after all. Result is near-malnutrition for foreign visitors.

Seriously, stop making posts that demonstrate a grasp of history and economics. You'll be Probated.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stanos posted:

A bartender in Havana recently told me, "it's not that we are suffering under the embargo, no that's not the case at all -- it's that we, as Cubans, have an innovation gap." My curiosity was piqued. An innovation gap? "You see, we need to innovate ourselves out of this economic malaise -- we need to synergize, network, and join the Cloud."

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Rand alPaul posted:

A bartender in Havana recently told me, "it's not that we are suffering under the embargo, no that's not the case at all -- it's that we, as Cubans, have an innovation gap." My curiosity was piqued. An innovation gap? "You see, we need to innovate ourselves out of this economic malaise -- we need to synergize, network, and join the Cloud."

The solution was always Bitcoin

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
A democratic starbucks revolution in havana...but with bitcoin!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Canada already has some fast food joints up and running in Cuba IIRC.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The minute Fidel dies I'm going to Cuba and opening up a Taco Cabana franchise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Supposedly Raul is going to step down after this next term is over in 2019 I think? So it may happen sooner than that.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cool, I can get him to star in my commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Just come to New York and open one. We're ready.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FuzzySkinner posted:

Canada already has some fast food joints up and running in Cuba IIRC.

I've never seen one, but it's possible they're concentrated near resorts instead of in Havana.

TheImmigrant posted:

It is nickel, I checked. Moa is a shining example of Marxist environmental policies. Seriously though, Havana is like a time warp. No advertising, no chains, very little business. The first time I visited, in 2002, I never could've predicted the status quo would still be in place a dozen years later. City of several million, a handful of restaurants open. Operating a restaurant is a capitalist endeavor, after all. Result is near-malnutrition for foreign visitors.

Seriously, stop making posts that demonstrate a grasp of history and economics. You'll be Probated.

Apparently you should go back and/or educate yourself, because private restaurants are allowed, many have opened in just the past few years, and the quality of the food is excellent.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

Apparently you should go back and/or educate yourself, because private restaurants are allowed, many have opened in just the past few years, and the quality of the food is excellent.

When did this happen? When I visited in 2010 it seemed like every single restaurant served almost the same food.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

I've never seen one, but it's possible they're concentrated near resorts instead of in Havana.

Can they have employees yet? Can they serve beef and lobster yet?

Cuban food is tasty in theory - it's great in Miami. In Cuba, you live on expensive overstewed chicken and rice and beans. My best meals there were breakfasts in casas particulares.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geriatric Pirate posted:

When did this happen? When I visited in 2010 it seemed like every single restaurant served almost the same food.

It was already starting by 2010, but it seems like it really exploded in 2012. The top restaurants in Havana are certainly international-standard at this point, in both food quality and service, even if they're a way from getting Cuba's first Michelin star. My personal favourites are Paladar de Mercaderes in Habana Vieja and Doctor Cafe in Miramar. There's also Ivanchefjusto on the north end of Vieja, but I only went once so I can't really say it's up there with the others in terms of consistency (the one meal I had was delicious).

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

TheImmigrant posted:

Result is near-malnutrition for foreign visitors.

TheImmigrant posted:

Can they have employees yet? Can they serve beef and lobster yet?

Cuban food is tasty in theory - it's great in Miami. In Cuba, you live on expensive overstewed chicken and rice and beans. My best meals there were breakfasts in casas particulares.

Are you really trying to draw out pity for the welfare of the oppressed tourist class?

"Cuban airliners don't have first class. You can only ride coach and the cocktails are conspicuously absent of little drink umbrellas much to my umbrage"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But what will happen to my Hemingway Disneyland when they are allowed to join the modern economy?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

But what will happen to my Hemingway Disneyland when they are allowed to join the modern economy?
All the hipster eurotrash will have to go to some other country that has been totally ratfucked by colonialism so they can take pictures of people who make $1 a day with $800 phones and get their authentic multicultural experience as brought to them by Virgin Airlines.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Rodatose posted:

Are you really trying to draw out pity for the welfare of the oppressed tourist class?

"Cuban airliners don't have first class. You can only ride coach and the cocktails are conspicuously absent of little drink umbrellas much to my umbrage"

No. Unlike the average Cuban prole without access to hard currency, tourists get to eat bad chicken in addition to rice and beans. Even eating Bad Food (some of the worst I've had after visits to 60+ countries), the tourist in Cuba eats much better than locals who aren't nomenklatura.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TheImmigrant posted:

In Cuba, you live on expensive overstewed chicken and rice and beans. My best meals there were breakfasts in casas particulares.

congratulations you've discovered the diet of 75% of the caribbean and latin america

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

congratulations you've discovered the diet of 75% of the caribbean and latin america

At 500% the price you'd pay in Nicaragua or Guatemala.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

TheImmigrant posted:

At 500% the price you'd pay in Nicaragua or Guatemala.

maybe if you switched from being white back to being gay and black you'd get a better price, just a thought

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

It will be like the worst touristy parts of Thailand, but much more accessible because flights will only cost $80 and involve no jetlag, so you can go down for the weekend.

In other words, it will be a pretty awesome party spot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rodatose posted:

Cubana certainly has first-class on international flights, and their economy service is better than any airline in North America, just so you know. And, while there is still a lot of poverty in Cuba, there's a certain middle class, usually based on one of the few private businesses, the black market, working for a foreign company, or family remittances, that can very much afford to go to restaurants and clubs. It's not large as a percentage of the total population, but it's not insignificant either.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

PT6A posted:

Cubana certainly has first-class on international flights, and their economy service is better than any airline in North America, just so you know.
This is like half the developing world flag carriers in existence. For the most part it's bragging rights, but you get a few that are legit contenders on economic terms like Singapore, Qatar and Emirates. Still, draw names out of a hat and you'll get a better airline experience than the US in service terms. Sure, there's plenty of Egypt and India out there, but most of Southeast and East Asia, Latin America and pretty much anywhere but former Soviet Bloc countries in the developing world are going to seem like heaven compared to American carriers. Downside: you'll crash more statsically, but if you pick and choose, not so much!

Anyway, it helps a lot when your government muckety mucks ride for free on the flag carrier, they tend to like to keep the money flowing to keep the wheels greased so they can keep their cushy deal.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

Cubana certainly has first-class on international flights, and their economy service is better than any airline in North America, just so you know. And, while there is still a lot of poverty in Cuba, there's a certain middle class, usually based on one of the few private businesses, the black market, working for a foreign company, or family remittances, that can very much afford to go to restaurants and clubs. It's not large as a percentage of the total population, but it's not insignificant either.

Cubana flies rickety old Ilyushins and Tupolevs, often with Soviet livery that hasn't been changed in 30 years. They also have an abysmal safety record. But yeah, they do offer free rum-and-mango juice on the two hour flight from Mexico City.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Stanos posted:

The next few months will be really important for eating McDonald's.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
But, to put things back on track, it will be interesting to see how Cuba negotiates the inevitable rapprochement with the US.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Holidy in Cambodia pops up in my head every time I see this thread.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Holidy in Cambodia pops up in my head every time I see this thread.

The Che Brigade has moved on to fetishize Venezuela and Levatines with exotic headgear. Cuba is, like, so day before yesterday.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Headgear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TheImmigrant posted:

Cubana flies rickety old Ilyushins and Tupolevs, often with Soviet livery that hasn't been changed in 30 years. They also have an abysmal safety record. But yeah, they do offer free rum-and-mango juice on the two hour flight from Mexico City.

They do fly some Russian aircraft, but they are the IL-96, Tu-204, and An-158 (which is Ukrainian), all of which have been produced in post-Soviet times (some having only entered service in the past year or two). The older Soviet aircraft are being phased out, if there are any remaining at all. Many flights are operated with wet-leased aircraft from Western countries, and a big factor in the bad safety record is difficulty with maintenance owing to the US embargo. Unlike numerous airlines, they have not been banned or restricted from flying into the EU, which suggests their flight safety is adequate.

You are a terrible troll.

• Locked thread