Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

ThinkTank posted:

they'll take every opportunity to break your arm when the ref gets stuck in the corner staring at a wall.

there's blood rushing to my penis right now just thinking about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

cname posted:

As an internet scrub, I greatly enjoy all of the cut-scenes, even if you don't. As you angrily mash X from your armchair, you can rest assured that I'm comfortably unemployed, undereducated and have all the time in the world to experience everything EA Sports has to offer.

Am I simply unaware that you can skip cut-scenes/replays? Am I too busy treating my mother like a kitchen wench? The world may never know.

The cut scenes are for me to take a drink or for us to yell at THE MACHO MAN after he drunkenly passes out.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

For every minute spent watching the same entry cutscene from 2010, I spend a minute dumping the puck into the bench. That or I play keepies off behind the goal. There was also a pair of guys in an OTP game I played last night who would take a penalty any time they were on the ice, so it became the longest game ever. It was a pretty decent troll. They said they were going for a highest hit count, then I told them 32 isn't gonna cut it.

e: I bet Marchand's face is still a dead ringer in 15.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 7, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They really need to add a diving and slew footing / cheap shotting button. I want to be able to snap my head back when a guy tries to lift my stick.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I could have sworn that like NHL 97 on the PS1 had FMV bullshit of the announcers talking about the two teams in the game you were playing

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ginette Reno posted:

They really need to add a diving and slew footing / cheap shotting button. I want to be able to snap my head back when a guy tries to lift my stick.

I, too, want the Montreal Canadiens/Pittsburgh Penguins button.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Oh hey, St Louis actually kinda sorta looks like St Louis!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I can almost see Richards there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's a dead ringer for a SCF first period.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm generally pretty bad at sports games, but love hockey, so I was considering getting NHL15 for PS4 when it comes out. But I think it would be wise to try an older hockey game first to see if I can actually play worth a drat. Has there been a version of EA's or 2K's NHL games that everyone thought to be really good? I was looking at NHL 2K10 in the local used game store for 360 and review on it seemed to be decent.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No sense getting an old 2k game if you're looking at getting into the EA series. If I was in your shoes, I'd grab NHL 10 or 11 on Amazon.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Laderhan posted:

Oh hey, St Louis actually kinda sorta looks like St Louis!

Is that from Madame Tussaud's wax museum?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The Detroit Red Wings: 22-time Stanley Cup Champions

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Volkerball posted:

No sense getting an old 2k game if you're looking at getting into the EA series. If I was in your shoes, I'd grab NHL 10 or 11 on Amazon.

Well, I figured that if 2k10 was really good and NHL15 turns out to be crap, then I'd be happy staying with a previous-gen game :v:

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I would get the latest. I think nhl 14 was on discount with live gold while a go I'm not sure about that though. You'll get the same skill stick nhl as nhl 10, but with less glitchy mechanics (still glitchy) and better ai (still sucks) and easier transition to nhl 15 eventually.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

"Official E3 Gameplay Trailer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jEgFzpsPMA

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I always thought "gameplay trailer" meant there would be actual gameplay in the trailer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's all slow motion which is good, but there's no sepia so obviously they have no clue what gameplay actually is.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
There was nothing new in that trailer. We've seen all of those animations before. What a load of poo poo.

Oh I guess they have new goal celebrations and dynamic jerseys :jerkbag:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The cloth sure was dynamic.

Too dynamic actually, it looks like there are tiny fans all over the ice blowing at players chests. Their jerseys were rippling like flags in a light breeze, did EA actually watch a hockey game on TV before they decided this was a good idea?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
"Official E3 "Gameplay" Trailer"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Team crests are made up of a solid material and wouldn't bend in the middle like in that video. They look like they're silk screened beer league logos. For something they're hyping up so much, they really didn't think this through properly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to mention the animation itself, it's like year 2000 cloth simulation with a dozen triangles worth of resolution.

There's a reason we don't see realistic cloth simulation done real time in games, it's loving hard to do. These clowns acting like they're the ones who figured it out is pretty ridiculous.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"We didn't actually add anything that could be considered a new feature, so we made their clothing wave as they move, something literally no one asked for."

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I sure nailed the thread title.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Remember when NHL 2k7(?) launched as that series' first full-fledged next gen title? And they did Cinemotion with the stupid on-ice fog and players' breath being visible and all of that bullshit?

This is dumber than that, because 2k7 was otherwise a phenomenal game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE that's been slowed down so you can't tell the actual frame rate and see jankiness of animation oh and a poo poo load of color correction, filtering and resolution fanagling but dizzzzamn check out those islanders jerseys I can't wait omg hurry up and come out early so I can preorder poo poo for a gamemode that's basically an F2P model that you have to pay for that I can't stand playing! :jerkbag:

God drat I am so sick of EA.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Buying this might make me hate myself even more than when I bought that stupid rear end season pass

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

THE MACHO MAN posted:

when I bought that stupid rear end season pass

I'm gonna give all you young whipper snappers some life advice right here, right now:

Never buy the season pass.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Season Pass is for like 7 games.

I'm sure if you average those out it adds up to 1 good one.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Meh - buying the season pass for NHL alone is probably a dumb idea but if you're going to get another EA game like Fifa or Tiger it might be worth it.

What am I saying? It's never worth it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What does season pass do exactly? As far as I can tell it just unlocks things that should be free anyways considering the game costs $70 and an Xbox Live subscription costs about that too.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ThinkTank posted:

What does season pass do exactly? As far as I can tell it just unlocks things that should be free anyways considering the game costs $70 and an Xbox Live subscription costs about that too.

It's about useless unless you are REALLY into the HUT thing. Maybe some extra "limited edition" digital hockey gear for your guy.. (well as far as I can tell)

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

ThinkTank posted:

did EA actually watch a hockey game on TV before they decided this was a good idea?

Every time I play NHL14 I ask myself "Has anyone from EA ever seen a hockey game?"

Duke Chin posted:

Never buy the season pass.

B-b-but I need to play OTP before everyone else! I've got my poop sock ready for power leveling! My guild club is gonna grind scrubs during the season pass, early access week. Then when the week is over and all the plebs have access, we can have a leg up on the competition and make it to legend 3 before everyone else! I mean, I could just pay a Chinaman, but I'm a real gamer.

My toon...
Easton +6 stam gloves of vitality
Koho +2 shooting crit stick
T2 Bauer boots of skating
+4 Def Awareness int dynamic cloth jock strap

WTT +2 Angles blocker for RC (rebound control) glove of catching.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 10, 2014

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yeah basically you get access to EA's games a week early and if you play any of their Ultimate Team modes you get a few bonus packs.

You get Limited Edition gear (usually a glove, stick and skate set) from pre-ordering through certain retailers.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Look. I hate everything as much as you guys but you all are hypocrites. I'd like to see this game in actual motion and play before I poo poo my pants in anger.

And just so I make myself clear, I haven't bought an NHL since 2010! I'm in wait and see mode. I mean of course the trailer is going to be a slow motion bs fest.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

soggybagel posted:

And just so I make myself clear, I haven't bought an NHL since 2010! I'm in wait and see mode. I mean of course the trailer is going to be a slow motion bs fest.

I guess I'm just concerned when the one thing they've hyped as a new feature (that no one wants or cares about) looks like it was implemented really badly in the demo video designed exclusively to show it off. It's like taking a smart car for a test drive and running out of gas three minutes after leaving the dealership. It just gives you a bad first impression.

e: Actually bad example because people actually care about fuel economy. It would be like the sales guy hyping up the incredible touch screen centre console thing, then finding out it's designed around the Windows Phone operating system.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 10, 2014

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

ThinkTank posted:

I guess I'm just concerned when the one thing they've hyped as a new feature (that no one wants or cares about) looks like it was implemented really badly in the demo video designed exclusively to show it off.

They're hyping this REAL JERSEY TECHNOLOGY and UNPRECEDENTED PLAYER LIKENESSES stuff, and everything they've shown relating to these two selling points has been underwhelming. The jerseys look like everyone's constantly skating in a wind tunnel and out of the 6-10 player likenesses they've shown, like 3 looked like the real life counterpart.

For those of us who play the poo poo out of this game, this tells us that the rest of it is going to be NHL 14 with better graphics. Never give EA NHL the benefit of the doubt.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I honest to god hope they're focusing on graphical concepts to avoid saying "We're just gonna fix 14."

Sure, gently caress it, take my $65 and give me a fixed NHL 14 with not-so-updated rosters. Seriously, just please, actually fix it.

In reality, it's just gonna be

sba posted:

NHL 14 with better different graphics.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

cname posted:

I honest to god hope they're focusing on graphical concepts to avoid saying "We're just gonna fix 14."

Sure, gently caress it, take my $65 and give me a fixed NHL 14 with not-so-updated rosters. Seriously. Just please actually fix it.

I think that's the thing...they're going to slap a coat of paint on it this year, and next year is when actual "changes" might happen. The trailer looks a lot like NHL 14.5 to me. It's really early though, I think it's playable on the E3 floor today, so hopefully people will say it feels different.

• Locked thread