Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ya that's totally it bro

EA sure designed a great game where the smart defense is to pinch on every zone entry in order to try to prevent a goal that everyone agrees is glitchy as gently caress

heh they could fix that or something but damned if they do, damned if they don't am i rite?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Doctor Butts posted:

ya that's totally it bro

EA sure designed a great game where the smart defense is to pinch on every zone entry in order to try to prevent a goal that everyone agrees is glitchy as gently caress

I think he's saying (and I would agree) the smart defense is to not pinch.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You can't stop that goal without pinching in the first place unless you're supremely confident that your legs are in perfect position to block the shot.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

The Rev posted:

Glitching is negated should you have someone psychotic enough to play as a human goalie (you know who you are). If you do not have that luxury of a good goalie, you can still prevent glitch goals 99% of the time by playing proper defense. Bumping the carrier off the puck, stick lifting when parallel, poke checking, making them do a horrible deke, making them dump, etc.

Except the goalie controls are so terrible and slow that god forbid they make a cross crease pass and whoops there it goes. When you consider the fact that the game ignores player input, including lateral movement, in favor of a save animation whenever the puck is shot, all it takes is a one timer and suddenly your goalie is sitting on his rear end at the wrong end of the net. And god forbid you hit the desperation save button and the previous goalie animation actually stopped the puck because oh look now you're queued desperation save is playing and you just jumped sideways allowing the rebound to slip in underneath you.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Doctor Butts posted:

You can't stop that goal without pinching in the first place unless you're supremely confident that your legs are in perfect position to block the shot.

Ok now I'm confused, are you talking pinching in the offensive zone or stepping up in the d zone? The only time we really ever have someone score those goals on us is if it's a 2 on 1 where the lone dman back is taking the pass , or a 1-0/2-0 with no dmen back. If we have 2 dmen back, as he said we 99% of the time drop back and get in the lane, or if we think he's going to toe drag near side we'll step up on him. Generally one of our forwards is back checking as well so they push the wingers outside.

I don't know what to tell you, if you're playing smart it is an extremely defensible play. I would say the vast majority of the ps3 crew will tell you we have very little trouble with those goals.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2014

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Here we see a man attempting to defend against me, but instead of knocking the puck away and stopping the shot, his stick goes right through both my stick and the puck. What should he have done differently in this situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olt6l9x2dCU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just play proper defense, you act like it's so tough.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I've had no problems with glitch goals since nhl 10, I think, though I didn't play 14 online. I just have problems with the glitchyness of everything else.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Oglogoth posted:

Here we see a man attempting to defend against me, but instead of knocking the puck away and stopping the shot, his stick goes right through both my stick and the puck. What should he have done differently in this situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olt6l9x2dCU

It looks to me as though he was mashing the poke check button and you went by right between pokes. There is also probably some combination of you having high puck control/ him having Low poke checking. He didn't play it horribly by any means, it's just unfortunate he missed the timing. He could have tried standing close to the goal if he has high d awareness to intercept the weak backhand shot, or he could have tried to take the body. But I don't necessarily think he did anything wrong there. Some time the other team scores.

I know your point here is that his stick passing through the puck/his stick should have interfered with your ability to carry the puck, but I think someone a couple of pages ago mentioned they tried making it impossible for sticks to go through one another but the game was just a mess as a result of it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

The gameplay itself is really good, all things considered, but throughout all this time they've done very little to improve the overall quality of their product and instead focus on bullshit. There are very clear problems with the game and they have persisted for years.

Many of my issues are with things such as Be a Pro, which has been garbage for years. Coach will gladly move the league's leading scorer down a few lines for some arbitrary reason. The tasks assigned during a game are oftentimes literally impossible to complete. The near entirety of player progression is reduced down to an EA micro-transaction moneygrab. It's a game mode that seems to be entirely half-assed and rife with flaws that, to me, indicate very poor communication and development practices from within their team. Unfortunately, every other mode has its own set of issues so there's no salvation elsewhere in the game.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 11, 2014

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I've had no problems with glitch goals since nhl 10, I think, though I didn't play 14 online. I just have problems with the glitchyness of everything else.

14 is the glitchiest in terms of glitch goals since 09, the top shelf wrister literally works like 3/4 times you try it, no matter how you defend it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Huh, I guess I meant stepping up, which is what the other guy was talking about doing anyway.

If you step up it is too easy to get burned. Either by ineffective poke/lift that slows you down, or by a bump that does nothing to the forward speed or possession of the puck carrier. Even then, the guy coming in the zone can pull off the shot even when you're doing all of this.

Holding back just means you have to pray that your body is in the perfect place to block the shot.

I'm talking about situations where its one guy entering the zone against two defenders, at least one of which is human.

These shots occur as wrist shots, from a few feet past the blue line. Teams can pull this off once every four times, easy. When it doesn't score, it is because the shot is too wide.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 11, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Just play proper defense, you act like it's so tough.

welcome to the brotherhood!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Guess what. The game's controls/features literally prevent you from playing "proper defense"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the guy on the last page says all you have to do is proper defense and they won't score glitch goals. Quit your bellyachin and go properly defend.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

http://www.operationsports.com/features/1883/nhl-15-hands-on-impressions/

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Let's not forget the deflection of blame on to the players of the game for having the audacity to allow glitches to be scored in the first place.

"An indefensible shot? What's your problem? Defend it!"

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
As I said, these were my experiences on PS3 in club games over a few years. Either your claim of 1 in 4 shots is a glitch goal is horribly inflated, or the xbox version is terribly under-patched. If it makes you feel any better, I promise not to glitch against your team should we ever meet. Not that we glitch in the first place though, but at least you can enjoy one solid game of non-glitched out hockey.

And no, I was not trying to insinuate you, or anybody else is terrible on defense. But the fact remains when I notice someone going for the good-ole' cut and snipe strategy, I adjust accordingly to take that away from him.

The goal posted of between the legs when hugged against the post is not a glitch, it's just poor coding/puck physics or whatever you want to call it.

Lets not continue to complain about '14 antics in the '15 thread, We've got a '14 thread for that. We can return to glitch grumbling if and when it makes its way into '15.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Doctor Butts posted:

Let's not forget the deflection of blame on to the players of the game for having the audacity to allow glitches to be scored in the first place.

"An indefensible shot? What's your problem? Defend it!"

I guess the whole crux of the argument is whether or not it is indeed indefensible isn't it?

Anyone know of any gameplay vids yet?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Jovial Cow posted:

Anyone know of any gameplay vids yet?

Yeah they showed gameplay at E3 remember? :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Complaining about problems in 14 in the 15 thread is totally acceptable when those problems have existed in every game 5 years running and shows no signs of being fixed in the next. :v:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
There's gonna be glitches. I guarantee it.

The one thing I want (if anyone cares) is a better EASHL. I want my friends to sign in on my ps4 and play together with me on my team in one room, on one TV. Right now we have to play Versus and if you are good enough, 1 player can't beat 2+ people working together. I want revamped Player Attributes and Player types, because there's only 2 viable forward builds for 5s/6s in EASHL (Hint, it's not Enforcer or Sniper), 2-3 forward builds for 2s/3s (2s and 3s is a loving joke anyway - you want glitch goals? Play this), 2 builds for D (could be more, who cares, D is boring). I want options on how to build my player, not the same 8 attributes every single iteration of this game. They should reduce the number of attributes to like, 8 total, have body weight and height matter more (dur physics), and bring back the big hits. Why the gently caress do we have boosts? It's a loving cash grab and it works because people buy them every year. Why do we have attributes that just don't matter? Does anyone bump up fighting and durability? They should cut the attributes to these: Offense: Shot power, shot accuracy, passing, hand-eye; Defense: checking, stick checking; Athleticism: Acceleration, agility, strength, speed. Take away player types altogether. You want someone who dangles like Patrick Kane? Make someone small - their speed and agility will start higher than someone Chara-sized, but their shot power, checking and strength take a hit. Jack up his hand-eye and passing and you have a dangler that has good puck control and can pass but will get knocked the gently caress out if he gets caught.

Playing D is boring as poo poo unless you have a good team or you're playing with friends, but everyone wants 'highlight' goals without working for it so everything that makes D fun (hitting, poke check, etc) gets nerfed every year.

Also, I didn't like that trailer because they called it a 'Gameplay' trailer and showed almost nothing new about the gameplay. Seriously, look at it. 0:33 seconds in, faceoff win - that's a backhand stick lift win to the right D. Right after that Ovie does a crossover - that's backhand, hold L1, flick right stick to the forehand. He slides it in to the open net - skate close to the goalie, hold stick out to forehand, quarter circle up. Boston player does a quick deke to the forehand. Pittsburgh penguin slapshots far side top shelf. Player gets tripped! (Okay, that one has a new animation). Deflection, deflection, big hit by STL player - but that's not new. Subban does a manual one-timer, hence the one knee. Pretty cool, but you can do that already. Fighting. Another hit. 0.5 second shot of player crashing into the goalie (legitimately excited about this and the 12 player physics). Kane does a quick deke (L1 left stick down diagonally forehand side for the mini toe drag), roofs it backhand.

I'm still buying this game, but I've been disappointed for the last couple of years and I don't expect that to change.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm bitching about NHL 12.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I'll not regret buying the game if they just fix the loving menus. I wouldn't mind if they unfucked GMC in general either... Like make the scouting actually work. (I sent my scouts to the WHL for 6 weeks, and they looked at three players in the top 20 once, and one twice)

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Anders posted:

I'll not regret buying the game if they just fix the loving menus.

They're going to the FIFA menu style according to E3 articles:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX9hRqnT5sk

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sba posted:

It can't be worse than it is right now right? Right?

Sake poo poo, flappy jerseys.

I watched without sound; was that Rammer playing?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I know this is awfully bloody nit picky but it would be nice if Lundqvist was wearing his actual pads from this year...

Also I'm hoping it was the phone cam and not the new camera angle but all the tilting in the corner made me feel sick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

sba posted:

Why are FIFA and PGA on the PC but not NHL? :argh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zip! posted:

I know this is awfully bloody nit picky but it would be nice if Lundqvist was wearing his actual pads from this year...

Also I'm hoping it was the phone cam and not the new camera angle but all the tilting in the corner made me feel sick.

This is NHL 15. Those are his pads next year.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Looks like NHL 14 with NBC logo to me. Where do I preorder?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh god, that loving article! Passing feels nerfed?! Really?! Just what every OTP scrub needs! More incentive to hog the puck. "Defense felt mostly as it has, in the past." Fan-loving-tastic. I get to keep bumping the puck carrier only to have him skate by, unscathed. I'm sure figure skating is here to stay. Basically: "a couple of things to note: a good deal of the hits now put the hitter down to one knee"

*Skates circles in the defensive zone, zig-zags through the neutral zone, shrugs off every bump, gets hit head on but your player goes down, spins around in front of the net a few times, top-shelf/glove side goal.*

I'm sure we're in for more figure skating, poke checking, lame-duck defending, blue line pileups, "physics" goals, and not being able to keep the puck in the zone, because my defender doesn't know how to play the boards.

Manual goal-tending is still the same.

:suicide:

cname fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 12, 2014

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

cname posted:

*Skates circles in the defensive zone, zig-zags through the neutral zone, shrugs off every bump, gets hit head on but your player goes down, spins around in front of the net a few times, top-shelf/glove side goal.*

You forgot CELLY CELLY CELLY :toot:

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
The only appropriate celebration is to shove the stick up your rear end and swing your arm around in circles.

That's how EA could redeem themselves, IMO. Even if they left all the annoying bullshit from 14, I'd be happy to shell out another $65 to see an entire team riding their sticks around, swinging their arms in circles.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 12, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL 2K5 had defense done right, and yet a decade later EA is still trying to figure it out. Holding the left trigger and moving the right stick allowed you to wave your stick around however you wanted to cut off passing lanes, etc. Why has EA not just used that idea? Even if Sega has a patent on it, it's probably a useful one to buy because it's such a huge improvement to the defensive side of things.

Also that looked like NHL 14. The vast majority of the animations have been ported straight from it.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

ThinkTank posted:

NHL 2K5 had defense done right, and yet a decade later EA is still trying to figure it out. Holding the left trigger and moving the right stick allowed you to wave your stick around however you wanted to cut off passing lanes, etc. Why has EA not just used that idea? Even if Sega has a patent on it, it's probably a useful one to buy because it's such a huge improvement to the defensive side of things.

Ugh, this would be so awesome. That's sorta how it works in regular IRL hockey. Nobody actually poke-checks by jabbing their stick out (or better yet: POKEPOKEPOKEPOKEPOKE!) You sorta get your stick out there, flail around a little and try to disrupt the puck/other player's stick.

As always, perhaps Ramjagsingh should watch a hockey game.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 12, 2014

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I like you cname, hell you can post in my thread anytime.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ThinkTank posted:

Also that looked like NHL 14. The vast majority of the animations have been ported straight from it.
Pretty sure at one point you could do that in the NHL games as well, I forget the year but it was there. Dunno why it's not anymore.

Furnaceface posted:

Why are FIFA and PGA on the PC but not NHL? :argh:
Different requirements and different amounts of people who would buy said game. FIFA has a bajillion people who'd buy it around the world, NHL simply doesn't and it takes time and money to make sure the game works on a PC.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

real_scud posted:

Pretty sure at one point you could do that in the NHL games as well, I forget the year but it was there. Dunno why it's not anymore.

Yeah, they took it out two years ago if I remember right, when they 'upgraded' the skating to allow you to choose whether to skate forwards or backwards. Prior to that you could glide backwards and wave your stick around.. they probably had to remove it due to button function overload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I believe you can hold poke check down to make right stick a modifier for where you want to wave your stick around, however it's mostly a gimmick and puts you at a disadvantage compared to just not pressing a button. Is it telling that the best way to defend many situations in the game is to do nothing and hope things work out?

• Locked thread