Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do you ever, you ever get to a point in an OP where you're typing and you just get tired and you're like, can I just hit "Post"? Like, if it were socially allowed, I would not even bother using my shift key. That's how lazy I am at my age. I can't believe I'm still hitting the space bar twice after every period, I can only assume it's some kind of terrible writer's OCD. I think if I didn't do it, I'd get up in the middle of the night and log in just to edit all my posts. And then the next thing I know it'd be 7 and I'd have to take my daughter to school and she'd be making fun of me for looking like a, basically like a homeless person because I haven't shaved in days and my eyes are bloodshot because I've been drinking coffee and taking back pain medication for the past six hours while I spellcheck my posts about television shows on a forum. And that's... sometimes I think that's depressing, you know? Like, it is. It's depressing. I think it is, anyway. You know, the thing is, I don't generally do the whole... OP thing. You know some people are good at it, but I'm... not. It's not my... it's not how I "roll".

Louie airs Monday nights at 10pm on FX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Louie clocked Miranda pretty good :stare:

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
It's odd they're doing two episodes in a row for two weeks, but I'm not going to complain!

EDIT: they're taking this joke to its logical extreme and it's crazy.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 6, 2014

pujo
Sep 9, 2002

I wish I could just loving smoke a cigarette in the bathroom

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Ahaha! That was great. Good glob, he just loving ruined that chick.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Man that garbage man bit is loving great. I was crying laughing at the absurdity the first time around.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I find it amazing how one of the biggest names in comedy with a hit show still manages to successfully portray himself as a schlubby everyman.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This should be on the OP

Louis CK' email posted:

Hello friend.

This is Louis C.K. I'm a comedian. You know about me from something or other. Anyway, sorry to bother you. I just wanted to let you know that my series on FX, LOUIE, returns for it's fourth season tonight at 10pm. Tonight being Monday, May 5th. There will be 2 episodes tonight, 10 and 10:30 and there will be 2 episodes every Monday for the next 7 weeks.
I took a year off between last season and this one, mostly so I could have more time to do the show, to make it better. This season is very different from past seasons. The first three episodes are pretty typical of what we've done in the past, Self-contained stories. But the next 6 episodes after that are all connected in one story. Then we have a three part story and a two part story. So lots of… parts stories. Yeah.
Anyway, I just wanted to make you aware that the show is coming back tonight.
If you live in a part of the world that doesn't get the show at the same time then I'm sorry to bother you.
I hope you all have a great Spring and summer. Enjoy the show tonight.

Regards,

Louis CK

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show is the best comedy on television. I'm convinced half the scenes are completely ab-libbed , mostly the group of comedian scenes, because when Ed(?) was talking about his vibrator masturbation Sarah Silverman couldn't keep it together to talk.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

God, I've missed this show.

The whole garbageman bit was beautiful; if you live in a city, that's _EXACTLY_ what it feels like when you're trying to sleep in the morning and garbagemen or construction workers fire up. He nailed it.

The chick-punching thing was brutal :S

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Odd that there's so many "part" stories, I remember one of the things he use to pride the show on being was the lack of continuity.

Eh whatever, Louie's gonna louie.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

pentyne posted:

This show is the best comedy on television. I'm convinced half the scenes are completely ab-libbed , mostly the group of comedian scenes, because when Ed(?) was talking about his vibrator masturbation Sarah Silverman couldn't keep it together to talk.

That was Jim Norton.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Mutation posted:

Odd that there's so many "part" stories, I remember one of the things he use to pride the show on being was the lack of continuity.

Eh whatever, Louie's gonna louie.

I think he prides himself more on just doing precisely what he feels like doing when the creativity strikes him. The two-parters last season must have struck a chord for him.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That tickling thing is so true to life for me. In fact I did that exact number on my girlfriend a few years back. Don't tickle me god damnit.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dear AIDS...cut it out

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's never been a Martin Luther Chicken.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Two Episodes a night is really great. I love the poker table scenes their always hilarious.

entropy
Jul 19, 2003

I'm afraid I just blue and gold myself.
I think my favorite part of the show is that I can never predict what's going to happen in the next scene. Hell, the next ten seconds. A lot of shows/movies have setups where you pretty much already have an idea what the punchline is going to be. I don't laugh as much as I thought I'd might with a show starring Louis CK, but it's pretty drat entertaining.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

entropy posted:

I think my favorite part of the show is that I can never predict what's going to happen in the next scene. Hell, the next ten seconds. A lot of shows/movies have setups where you pretty much already have an idea what the punchline is going to be. I don't laugh as much as I thought I'd might with a show starring Louis CK, but it's pretty drat entertaining.

Yeah, this show is totally unpredictable. As soon as the garbage men broke into his house it was "yep, this is Louie again".

The first episode had more "gags" - I liked the doctor scene and the old lady helping him up especially, while the second episode had more of a sustained, self-contained story. There doesn't need to be any consistency.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I'm watching the repeat and on the second episode he just got past the whole doing stand up and is in the car and god I have this unbearable sense of dread now that they are at the beach and she's running into the water.

God this is unbearable.

FINALLY, now I am relieved. Of course he accidentally hits her.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 6, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That first scene with the garbage truck guys was already better than anything I've witnessed on tv in the past four months. I love this show.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

OP of the year.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Max22 posted:

OP of the year.

Considering this show barely has continuity, it's kind of fitting to not have a big wordsy OP.

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
I love this show a lot, but man it bums me out. I guess that's what makes it so good because half of the time there isn't a happy ending.. Just like real life.. :emo:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Welcome back show, I've missed you a whole lot.

pentyne posted:

I'm convinced half the scenes are completely ab-libbed , mostly the group of comedian scenes, because when Ed(?) was talking about his vibrator masturbation Sarah Silverman couldn't keep it together to talk.

It's possible to have genuine reactions in scenes that aren't improvised. I remember an interview where he said that the first poker scene (the one from episode two where they discuss the word human being) took about 12 hours to shoot and how hard it was to get his friends to deliver their lines in the way he wanted them.

So no, it's not all improvised, he's just good at directing and editing stuff, that's why a lot of it feels so loose.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 6, 2014

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

pricklypie posted:

I love this show a lot, but man it bums me out. I guess that's what makes it so good because half of the time there isn't a happy ending.. Just like real life.. :emo:

That's the beauty of this show, it's a rollercoaster of emotions. The first episode literally made my gut hurt from laughing so hard. It was vintage Louie absurdity. But the second episode, while at times funny, made me cringe for a half hour.

God I love this show. I think it's the best thing on television right now. Totally worth the yearlong hiatus.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

pricklypie posted:

This show brings me way more joy than a lot of other shows which are overtly happy on the surface.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm so happy it's back. The garbage man bit captured my morning emotions perfectly and the second episode perfectly nailed the "something good happens to Louie so things are going to get really bad" theme from past seasons while still being totally surprising. Wonderful stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No theme song anymore? That's too bad. Unless they axed it to get more show in.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

dantheman650 posted:

"something good happens to Louie so things are going to get really bad"
At this point I just start cringing automatically whenever he's about to hook up with someone.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Those were great. Glad he took the time off if this is the sort of show we're getting - I think I prefer those two to anything in S3 already.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
I miss the theme song, but I don't miss the desire for gross depression pizza it inspires in me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
omfg I loved those episodes so much. The conversation with the Doctor felt straight out of a Coen brothers movie.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
So happy this is back. There's nothing like this show.

I had a huge smile on my face after watching these two back to back. There's something about TV Louie's total resignation and acceptance of all the poo poo that piles up on him that's weirdly uplifting.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Especially in the round table part I am still so sad we will never get that Patrice cameo. Sarah Silverman was funny though. When Jim Norton was on screen I just heard Patrice's voice in my head calling him a stupid little fat amoeba and laughing at him. Haha.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bown posted:

omfg I loved those episodes so much. The conversation with the Doctor felt straight out of a Coen brothers movie.

I can't quite remember but was there an episode where his doctor actually died? I liked Ricky Gervais as his doctor.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Holy poo poo Charles Grodin got old.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im old and fat and i have diahrrea and my daughters are hard to raise and i don't have time to date so i masturbate a lot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

im old and fat and i have diahrrea and my daughters are hard to raise and i don't have time to date so i masturbate a lot

Go to bed, Jerry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

pentyne posted:

It sounded like she said something through laughter along the lines of 'God why am I wet'?!

• Locked thread