Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's never been a Martin Luther Chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Comparing being fat to being a minority is insane largely because being fat is actually unhealthy and generally caused by bad habits that you can actually pass on to the next generation whereas being a minority is only bad in so far as it is perceived as being bad. You can't actually give a rational response for disliking a race or ethnicity but there are loads of legitimate reasons to want to stress healthy living and eating habits.

Even if you could change white to black, it would be an irrelevant change done just to appease bigots, but changing fat to healthy is actually improving quality of life and life expectancy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LividLiquid posted:

So you should treat people poorly because of their choices, like picking the wrong religion, but not things they were born with.

Sound reasonable?

It's simple, dude: it's wrong to treat people poorly. You're on the wrong side of this argument. I want to have the energy to make that argument in a way that would actually help you realize how damaging your rhetoric is, but I just don't have it in me right now.

Well, I didn't say it was OK to treat people poorly. Nor did I say people should be treated poorly for things that are only perceived as better or worse, like race or religion. In fact, I explicitly said the opposite.

Fat people can actually improve themselves by becoming fit.

Minorities would only improve themselves in the eyes of assholes by changing their race.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Except none of the health problems associated with being black have ever had anything to do with racial prejudice. Nor are the health problems actually problematic or associated with the appearance of being black. That being black has associated health problems (like anemia) has nothing to do with being black and has everything to do with inheritance. It's not causal. You could remove the health problems without changing the race.

And again, I never said it was OK to judge people. I'm specifically saying you are completely insane for making the comparison for the multitude of reasons already being leveled at you.

It is a personal choice to try and change your life to becoming healthy. But I don't have to listen to someone else's excuses when I myself am making choices to avoid gaining too much weight.

The thing that bothers me is that you are trying to force me into a eugenics argument when I'm specifically talking about the concrete consequences of learned behaviors. And there in lies the difference.

Yes, I'm well aware of the origins of race and ethnic divides and how utterly arbitrary they all are. This is again another reason why comparing arbitrary prejudice to prejudice against obesity is insane, even if both things are bad.

Treating fat people poorly is morally wrong because treating people poorly is morally wrong. You don't need to complicate the matter by trying to draw a comparison that has absolutely no basis.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LividLiquid posted:

If you can't change the subject into something more people want to talk about, your topic is less interesting. It was an episode about how women and fat people (and fat women) are treated differently. Expect some discussion on the matter. I've tried to move on from the topic, and it didn't happen.

What you are completely incapable of understanding is that no one is saying it's OK to make fun of fat people. No one is saying it's OK to treat fat people poorly. People are saying, repeatedly and with good cause, that comparing the struggles of minorities to the struggles of fat people is completely loving ridiculous.

On that note, thanks to this thread, I discovered that white guys are far more likely to get testicular cancer than black guys.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

AlternateAccount posted:

My god, asking the girl to stay, that was something to watch. Geez.

This made me cringe more than anything else the show has every done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I thought this might be the case but i dont understand, because they specifically mention not having any other kids - was this a fantasy or not?

They had been married for all of two years with the second year being very difficult. They had decided to leave each other and have one last go in bed before going their separate ways. That resulted in his technically-still-his-wife conceiving. She, for whatever reason, decided to keep the child and as a result they forced the marriage to continue even though they already both knew it was never going to work and then had a second child sometime after the first.

They are now divorced. And she became black.

But if Steve Martin can be born a poor black boy and grow up into a homeless white man, I don't see why his wife can't go from white to black. It's not like you stay that way.

• Locked thread