Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

entropy posted:

I think my favorite part of the show is that I can never predict what's going to happen in the next scene. Hell, the next ten seconds. A lot of shows/movies have setups where you pretty much already have an idea what the punchline is going to be. I don't laugh as much as I thought I'd might with a show starring Louis CK, but it's pretty drat entertaining.

Yeah, this show is totally unpredictable. As soon as the garbage men broke into his house it was "yep, this is Louie again".

The first episode had more "gags" - I liked the doctor scene and the old lady helping him up especially, while the second episode had more of a sustained, self-contained story. There doesn't need to be any consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

pricklypie posted:

I love this show a lot, but man it bums me out. I guess that's what makes it so good because half of the time there isn't a happy ending.. Just like real life.. :emo:

This show brings me way more joy than a lot of other shows which are overtly happy on the surface.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

SaltLick posted:

I can't quite remember but was there an episode where his doctor actually died? I liked Ricky Gervais as his doctor.

No but when he said Ricky Gervais died I found it really funny.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Louie said in an interview that Steven Wright is also a producer and is on set a lot of time and they bounce ideas off of each other.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Totally. Also the show should have a slightly browner actor playing the main character, Louis CK being that white is so unrealistic considering he's half Mexican.

This poo poo doesn't matter. Are the daughters adopted? I don't know, maybe, but they don't have to be. This is a surreal, weird TV show. It doesn't have to follow the racial logic you have.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I really hope he gives the sad dad thing a break. I know Seinfeld told him he could make this show forever but it's getting old fast

No I'm loving this poo poo it's the best show on TV and while everyone's calling this season more aimless, I actually think it's a lot tighter and focused in terms of the quality of each scene and how they relate.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Lord Sexatron posted:

It's his only ex-wife. Married once and divorced. Them sharing a cigarette both times in current age and flashback was a pretty obvious hint. Louis just doesn't give a gently caress about continuity and will throw some random people playing himself and his wife, like his mother played by different actresses in previous seasons.

Was it all in his imagination? Wondering what would have happened if he got divorced earlier?

These last two episodes are especially weird.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

No, it's the same wife. The change in actress doesn't matter. Neither does her skin colour.

I thought this might be the case but i dont understand, because they specifically mention not having any other kids - was this a fantasy or not?

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 27, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Why does it have to be a secret statement this time when everyone was on board with his official, real-life statement about not giving a poo poo the first time he cast an actress that doesn't fit the character?

Not caring kind of is the statement, though. The point is that it shouldn't be a big thing.

It's just confusing now where it's unclear if they're even meant to be the same person or not.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

They had been married for all of two years with the second year being very difficult. They had decided to leave each other and have one last go in bed before going their separate ways. That resulted in his technically-still-his-wife conceiving. She, for whatever reason, decided to keep the child and as a result they forced the marriage to continue even though they already both knew it was never going to work and then had a second child sometime after the first.

Thank you for this, it makes things a lot clearer and that makes sense.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I don't understand what happened at the end there with amia.

I don't speak the language so if I'm wrong please correct me, but I think the point was that she regretted the night before as it was a bad idea to get more "serious" (as her aunt would put it) right before she had to leave.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

No. 9 posted:

Young Louie is the guy that does those vines.

Haha holy gently caress, this guy is an auteur in his own right, the only Vine I have ever enjoyed, I pretty much just watched all of them.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The guy's race does matter and you're literally a moron if you can't understand why, but that guy gave a terrible explanation of it and it isn't about "privilege"

this really is the worst thread though

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah man, remember all those hilarious season 1 episodes? Like the one where young Louie learns all about Jesus' wounds and breaks into a church to ease his suffering? Or the one where he has a run-in with a teenage bully and follows him home?

Those scenes are both really funny

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Speaking of music, we finally got to hear the theme song this season, thanks to Jeremy Renner.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Renner is actually a fun character actor, he just gets cast in a lot of leading man parts which I don't actually think are his strong suit and just make him come across really bland.

EDIT: ^I think the first Season takes a few episodes to find its footing because Louie was still working out what the hell he wanted the show to be, but yes, every season is this good, although the stories used to be a lot more self-contained (often with two separate "vignettes" each episode).

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 11, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Was I the only one who was getting weird undertones from Mr. Hoffman early on? From putting Louie in a compromising position for the "fart science", wanting him to be around more by having him help set-up before class and date his daughter, and then completely overcompensating when sticking up for Louie?

Maybe I was reading too much into it and it wasn't intentional at all, but I still cringed, it seemed like he was overstepping his boundaries more than a little.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Scrub Lover posted:

louie episodes have always been more like short indie films with some funny moments than sitcom episodes. watch seinfeld or something if you non stop jokes and goofs

Louie already made a more traditional sitcom (Lucky Louie) and it's pretty cool and worth watching.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah, not great that the overly aggressive rapey scene was completely ignored. But hey, we got to see Louie naked.

Not really, a lot of the same emotional issues that fuelled that scene were pretty directly addressed here.

Emotionally unavailable meets aggressively insecure does not a great love story make.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

Attempted rape can sometimes be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

The point isn't "rapists can be nice people who get into good relationships" the point the rape scene and this storyline is making is that "even guys who seem/are otherwise decent can buy into a hosed up idea of sexual entitlement and masculinity, especially if they are insecure and have a lot of issues". Maybe not to the extreme that Louie went to in that episode, but I think that attitude will ring true for a lot of people's experiences and it's a territory that a lot of other shows would be afraid to cover or would represent in a less complex way.

They didn't directly address the rape scene because neither Louie nor Pamela would. We all know what happened and that what he did was wrong. His expecting sex when he got back (almost not letting Pamela leave) and then overcompensating and sulking was all an extension of the same hosed-up mindset.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

SoupyTwist posted:

But "guy wins over girl by wearing her down" is pretty god-damned clichéd.

Yeah I think the episode is kind of having it both ways which makes it so hard to read. There is AN amount of sweetness and mutual respect in their relationship, but there's also a lot of hosed up issues too. The cheesy music when Louie "wins" compounds this, by being both satirical and sincere at once, somehow.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Jake Armitage posted:

I love how so many defenders of that scene were basically resting on the idea that its unfair to judge since it was just part one and we have no idea where it's going and Louis is making Louie a villain or whatever. Then he resolves the attempted rape in basically the worst way possible (he gets the girl? REALLY?) and a whole new set of justifications arise.

These things don't always get resolved in real life. I mean Pamela could press charges, she could stop seeing Louie, she could keep seeing him but get him to own up to acknowledge what a hosed up thing he did... But she won't. That's not her character. I don't think the episodes being in parts really means that they couldn't be judged on their own terms, though. Even the "Part" episodes tend to stand alone (all the Elevator episodes have their own point and arc).

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Randandal posted:

I don't think Louie cares about what message his show is sending, the show is rated TV-MA and should not be watched by people who are still looking for parental guidance on matters of morality such as if rape is right or wrong.

This is such a lovely post, I don't think Louie is necessarily being didactic but there are definitely values inherent in any TV show, and in a show as auteur-based as this, what's being expressed is worth discussing.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Was she raped?

Not sure, which episode was that

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

There's one thing we can all agree on: the only situation where rape is okay, is if you want to have sex with someone, and they won't let you.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The most uncomfortable thing about this thread is how much of Pamela's agency is ignored.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Do not post rape hypotheticals or experiences from your own life which could be considered as such, please.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I think a large part of why this season is so jarring (though not necessarily worse or better) is that it's the first time that Louie has been very unsympathetic or unlikeable in parts. In all of the earlier seasons he was schlubby, average joe who we were meant to side with and just go "Oh, Louie!" when he fucks up. I may be forgetting something but I can't remember any moments in the earlier seasons where I was outright not on his side.

A lot of this season I think is trying to complicate this mentality and show why uncritically sympathising that average schlubby joe, not just in Louie but in broader pop culture, can be a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Weird that it's only seven. Maybe this will mean less multi part ones? Or maybe more.

• Locked thread