Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm so happy it's back. The garbage man bit captured my morning emotions perfectly and the second episode perfectly nailed the "something good happens to Louie so things are going to get really bad" theme from past seasons while still being totally surprising. Wonderful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This arc is really hitting home for me. I'm currently living in a foreign country and dating a girl there. We know I'll leave eventually and we had to ask the same questions Louie is asking.

The violin scene was really well done and heartbreaking.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It does amuse me that people bitch about Adam Sandler giving his terrible unfunny friends roles when Louis CK does the exact same thing with all his unfunny C-list stand-up buddies.

That's because Louis CK is making a quality product that we all enjoy. He's also not grossly inflating the budget just so his buddies can cash out with a massive payday. I usually don't think his stand up friends are that funny in the show, but if you read the thread you can see that many (most?) people do. Your complaint is hardly a fair comparison.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What a weird two back-to-back viewing experience. I had misty eyes after episode nine and the opening to 10 with Louie wandering the empty apartment and seeing the red couch really hit me hard.

The rape scene seemed decidedly uncharacteristic for the show and totally took away my "d'awwww" feeling. I know Louie portrays himself as a helpless, clueless loser, but this crossed a line for me. I've always rooted for his character even when he was doing completely cringe-worthy things but I can't root for him crawling back to Pamela after how horrible she was to him and I really can't root for his pushy and scary behavior followed by a fist pump. I suppose we are supposed to be disgusted, but do I really want to watch a show where I'm disgusted by the behavior of the main character? What a let down.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I wouldn't go that far. I still think this season has had a lot of stellar moments and mostly high-quality episodes. Just this last one was in very bad taste to me.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Don't you think that was the point? Do you think Louis CK intended that scene to be something the audience was rooting for?

I mean, saying it was in bad taste is the most facile of observations, akin to saying "I found the rape scene in Irreversible somewhat disturbing". Yeah, I should hope so! That's kind of the point of it, and making that observation is the equivalent of saying "I am in fact not too retarded to grasp the basic point of that scene, yay me!"

But stopping there -- mentioning that you understood the blatantly obvious thrust of a scene -- means you're just barely at the lowest level of comprehension of the show. A more astute observation would be, why did Louis CK (as the writer / director) want to disturb us in this way? What does that say about his character (on the show)?

But saying "I dunno about anyone else, but I thought the eye slicing scene in Un Chien Andalou was disturbing!" is not an interesting or original observation at all. Step your game up.

Just because I felt it was in bad taste and didn't post a full critique doesn't mean I didn't comprehend the message. Please, it could hardly have been more heavy-handed. We last see Louie being a heroic male, carrying his small children across a raging, flooded street, and also rescuing his helpless wife. Also, we see him as a half of a loving relationship so beautiful it makes a completel stranger cry. After that, we hear a long piece about the state of women's rights in America and the prevalence of domestic violence, and also hear the point that when you're young you still have plenty of life left in which you might sin and not be "on lock" for heaven. Louie sets himself up as brave, loving, and likable, and the obvious commentary to make on the rape scene is that not all rapists are terrible men, but can be normal, usually well-meaning guys.

I still found it in bad taste. I sit down to Louie each week for some laughs, some great surreal conversations and images, and a Curb Your Enthusiasm-esque desire to root for the bumbling loser because deep down I love him. I am not interested in Louie delivering this heavy social commentary, especially when it comes at a noticeable (for me) absence of laughs. The rape scene didn't bother me because it depicted rape. The recent rape scene in Game of Thrones, to compare, didn't bother me. You could argue about the necessity of showing it, but it fit the characters involved, and the general mood of the show.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

whatshesaid posted:

and she was being purposefully ambiguous (read: bitch). He took a chance. Her joking around made it like yellow caution lights, instead of red stop lights.

There was nothing ambiguous about Pamela's signs to Louie inside his apartment. If those are "yellow lights" to you, I don't even know what to say. You are part of the problem. Those were loud, clear, red light, stop immediately signs.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That two-parter was perfection. Any weird taste I had left over from last week is gone. The casting was pitch-perfect. I lived Jeremy Renner's weird little ticks and mannerisms and young Louis was pehnomenal. Seriously, where do they find these child actors? I teared up at Louis' speech to his daughter at the end. "I love you and I'm here. That's all I got." That was such a heartfelt, moving scene.

TheYellowFog posted:

I'm a Freaks and Geeks fan and there was a similar vibe to this (right down to a Kevin Corrigan / Jeremy Renner comparison, although much darker).

I definitely got a strong Freaks & Geeks vibe, especially in the lunchroom scenes. Not a bad thing at all, considering Freaks & Geeks handled coming of age better than any other show I've seen.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

He's a 12-year-old boy. Of course he's obsessed with farts.

On another note, these episodes show the love Louis C.K. has for passionate educators. I enjoyed Mr. Hoffman being a caring, hard-working teacher who took the time to get to know his students personally. I feel like too often in media teachers are portrayed as lazy, burned out, and uncaring. I wonder if Mr. Hoffman is modeled on a teacher Louis has while growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

libertao posted:

Why did my comedy starring Louie C.K. turn into an after-school special with child actors? This is mostly just ho-hum drama. No wonder Louis had to insist on complete control.

I believe that would be Episode 11 of Season One, "God." Don't even try to pretend this has been nothing but a funny show starring Louis C.K. It never has been.

• Locked thread