Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Welcome back show, I've missed you a whole lot.

pentyne posted:

I'm convinced half the scenes are completely ab-libbed , mostly the group of comedian scenes, because when Ed(?) was talking about his vibrator masturbation Sarah Silverman couldn't keep it together to talk.

It's possible to have genuine reactions in scenes that aren't improvised. I remember an interview where he said that the first poker scene (the one from episode two where they discuss the word human being) took about 12 hours to shoot and how hard it was to get his friends to deliver their lines in the way he wanted them.

So no, it's not all improvised, he's just good at directing and editing stuff, that's why a lot of it feels so loose.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

dantheman650 posted:

"something good happens to Louie so things are going to get really bad"
At this point I just start cringing automatically whenever he's about to hook up with someone.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Rewatching the eps and lol, he still has the shirt he mentioned in Shameless seven years ago. Also I want that shirt.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

Louie: parent to the young and old alike.
I was sure the old lady would turn out to be future Jane when she threw the tomato at the taxi driver.

C'mon honey, let's get you the nicest dick in town

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Saint Jimmy posted:

Again, those are VERY white kids for that parental combination.
Totally. Also the show should have a slightly browner actor playing the main character, Louis CK being that white is so unrealistic considering he's half Mexican.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This poo poo doesn't matter. Are the daughters adopted? I don't know, maybe, but they don't have to be. This is a surreal, weird TV show. It doesn't have to follow the racial logic you have.
I was kidding. Did you read my post any further than the word "totally"?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

SaltLick posted:

Seriously though a bang bang sounds awesome and I never would have thought of that. My inner glutton is going to go wild soon.
There's no way I could force down a milkshake and a plate of diner pasta after what looked like a delicious and crazy filling Indian meal. Maybe something that's closer together taste-wise, I'd definitely need a weed break between the two though.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 13, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Yes. I am making this comparrison again, and yes, I do believe it is perfectly appropriate and apt.
oh ok

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

No Wave posted:

Bobby gets really upset at the idea of his parents divorcing (I think) and wants to hear from his mom that she loves him, and she refuses saying that she won't be bullied.
That and the idea that his mom is now a LESBONIAN who's dating a girl younger than him completely destroys how he sees the world. Louie just kind of rolls with it and makes awkward small talk.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 14, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

ozza posted:

Here's a good chat with Louis from Opie & Anthony a few years back, in which he talks about the theme song - it's a pretty interesting story. The song discussion starts at about 30 mins in, but if you're interested in the production of the show, the whole segment is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izX44iTNO8k
Yeah, my first thought when I noticed the missing intro this season was that Ian Lloyd or the label finally sued him about it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Re-casting his kids and then sticking with Jane's actress might be the best casting decision in the history of the show. That kid's gonna be huge, I can't wait for the movie she's in with Kristen Schaal next year.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

On rewatching, I think my favorite bit from this week was Jane's reaction to him asking whether she might be mad at herself. The whole concept just makes zero sense to her.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 22, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I've waited a long time for a Todd Barry scene where he does more than lob insults at Louie, this was everything I had hoped for and more.

Jake Armitage posted:

I think he's trying to make a statement about how important the color of an actor's skin is to a role in Hollywood.

Why does it have to be a secret statement this time when everyone was on board with his official, real-life statement about not giving a poo poo the first time he cast an actress that doesn't fit the character?

PostNouveau posted:

A theory I saw elsewhere is that she transforms into a better person after leaving Louie. For example, she finally goes to Africa like she always wanted to and couldn't with Louie. Her transformation over time is visually represented through her race.

oh boy here we goooooo

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 27, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The Dad comedian in the hat? That's Greg Fitzsimmons.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I know that shot in the misty park where he steps to the side and it turns out Amia was standing behind him is a reference to something but I can't remember what and it's driving me insane.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I think it's fairly obvious that the season finale in two weeks will have an argument that radically redefines Louie and Pamela's relationship and it could go either way. She finally gets worn down by Louie constantly telling her "I really, really want to have sex with you" for four seasons or she makes it clear to him that he hosed up and as a result torpedoed their friendship. Or something inbetween.

I just wish people wouldn't treat that scene in the first part of a three-episode arc as if it was meant to stand on its own. His fist pump isn't the moral of the loving story. That comes later.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 5, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Space Hamlet posted:

No one is getting their rear end kicked on a crowded-rear end bus
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bus+fight

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

Wasn't this show funny once? And not a big heaping helping of Serious Issues, preachy characters and cringeworthy awfulness? Jesus. I watched a few bits of my season one dvd the other day and it sounds like night and day.
Yeah man, remember all those hilarious season 1 episodes? Like the one where young Louie learns all about Jesus' wounds and breaks into a church to ease his suffering? Or the one where he has a run-in with a teenage bully and follows him home?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I really liked it. Bummer we'll never get to see it with PSH as the teacher. Does anyone remember which O&A appearance has him telling the story?

Also did anyone else catch that he got the actor who played his stoner neighbor in Dogpound to play the psychologist at the end?

Somebody give this guy money to shoot another movie already.

edit: Oh, I guess this is where I remember the story from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWxsekTrYY

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 10, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Tevryr posted:

I have looked pretty hard for awhile, but does anyone happen to know the song that plays during the day out with Amia during Elevator Part 2? It's the one where they're out and about on the ferry and trying foods. Awfully beautiful song, and it seems to be a lot harder to find than I would have thought.
The show mostly uses original music, if you can't find it and the credits don't mention anyone that's probably the case.

Louie's Reddit AMA posted:

producing the music is maybe my favorite part of the whole thing. I go into a studio with Matt Kelmer and a handful of great musicians that work under the title "Sweet pro" and we just gently caress around. I get to cheat and make music without the training. I ask them for different moods and sounds and they try it. or we'll say let's go with cello and piano for a while and try a few things there. The cello player, wish i loving knew his name, is tremendous. he creates whole pieces by himself and I use them ALL.

They have a bunch of samples from their music on Louie on their site but it's all from the first season. So, unless he ever decides to release soundtracks or something you're out of luck.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Randandal posted:

I know the earlier seasons are said to be much funnier and I love CK's standup - are the earlier seasons as well done as this also?
I don't know about funnier, as I've said I don't think the shift in tone this season is as dramatic as people make it out to be. The first three seasons definitely have more standup parts though.

The first two are also a lot more episodic, he only really started doing multi-ep arcs last year. Check out the Late Show trilogy as soon as possible. It's basically his version of Rocky, only he tries out for the spot of replacing Letterman as a late show host and gets coached by David loving Lynch.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I really want this show to run at least until Jane is a teenager too. Because whatever she gets up to is gonna make "oh god I used to smoke pot at that age, how do I handle this?!" look like a walk in the park.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Leviathan posted:

And yea, Louie has always been more than a sitcom however even the weirder and artsier episodes used to rate like a 7-8 gutbuster scale. I have vague memories of cracking up really, really hard
Maybe you should rewatch those earlier weird & artsy episodes sometime. I'm trying to see where this opinion people in here have about the big dramatic shift in tone this season comes from, I think it's a combo of

- Elevator taking up so much room that there was less space for standalone randomness and
- not having seen the earlier episodes in a while, because everything's funnier in your memory

Would there still be the same sentiment if Amia's arc had only been three episodes and the other three used for random surprising stuff à la Model?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jake Armitage posted:

I love how so many defenders of that scene were basically resting on the idea that its unfair to judge since it was just part one and we have no idea where it's going and Louis is making Louie a villain or whatever. Then he resolves the attempted rape in basically the worst way possible (he gets the girl? REALLY?) and a whole new set of justifications arise.
I didn't say Louie was going to become a villain in parts 2&3, I said that the last two parts were going to redefine Louie and Pamela's relationship. Which they did. It just didn't change in the direction you wanted it to.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

I was really blown away by the 2 episodes prior to these last two, the young Louie story. For me it is probably the best stuff the show has done.
yeah but how many laffs did you get out of them

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

No Wave posted:

Not to mention that Pamela entices Louie with a sexy bathtub with candles and poo poo, which is usually a very typical way of representing a guy trying to do something romantic for a girl. I guess my recognition of that could make you call me a sexist or something.
Wait, did you somehow miss that this was a callback to the last time they were close to hooking up two seasons ago? Even though Pamela looked straight at the camera and said HEY REMEMBER BATHS?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Is he actually producing it through Pig Newton? I can't imagine how great it would feel to make a movie without studio money 15 years after getting booted off Pootie Tang. Super excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

That's Hannibal Buress.

• Locked thread