Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

GOTHAM is a television show about Gotham City, but not about Batman. At least, not about a grown man in a bat costume.

It chronicles the experiences of a young Jim Gordon (Ben McKenzie) in crime-ridden Gotham City. Along the way, he'll work with (or against) Harvey Bullock (Donal Logue), Oswald Cobblepot (Robin Lord Taylor), Selina Kyle (Camren Bicondova), and some kid whose parents get killed in Crime Alley (David Mazouz). (More on the Wayne Murders can be found at the city's Most Trusted News Source.)

The Television Critics Association has named Gotham "Most Promising New Show of the Fall," as well as "Most Promising New Drama." They also note Robin Lord Taylor as a potential new breakout star.

Gotham will premiere Monday, September 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI

(for my part, I'd be happy just to watch Donal Logue as Bullock riding around in a GCPD blimp for 44 minutes a week, every week.)

James "No Mustache" Gordon:

Bruce "Batman" "the Orphan" Wayne:

Selina "Catwoman" Kyle:

Harvey "Oh God Don't Let the Neckbeards Take Him As a Fashion Role Model" Bullock:

Oswald "the Penguin" Cobblepot:

Fish "Brand New Character Not in the Comics" Mooney

Alfred "the Butler" Pennyworth:

Edward "Riddley McCheekbones" Nygma:

Pamela Isley "Poison" Ivy Pepper:

10/06: :ccb:

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That trailer actually surprised me. I'll definitely watch a couple of episodes and see how it turns out. I'd rather a show about Gotham than loving Agents of loving Shield anyway.

And if it turns out terrible, it'll be worth it for Young Penguin, who looks amazing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I was unconvinced by the premise but that trailer seemed pretty good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm curious to see what they're actually going to be able to do with all these not-yet-supervillains (and Bruce). Particularly the ones who are still kids. It doesn't seem like there's much to work with there.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The casting of Selina Kyle seems spot on, almost like they got a time machine to bring back teenage Michelle Pfeiffer.

http://comicsalliance.com/gotham-set-photos-young-bruce-wayne-selina-kyle/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gotham Knights was a pretty good book; if the show captures any of that at all, it has potential. A police force in a corrupt city with a super-threat just lying in the background/undercurrent works fine.

They also have a lot to play with, with characters like Penguin rising to crime lord, etc. Although I have no idea what they'd be doing with Poison Ivy.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Finally, a chance for me to see what all my favourite batman characters were like before they were interesting.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm still not 100% sold on this premise, but god drat, that trailer. :suspense:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The trailer looks kind of awful....but fun in a pulpy way, so I'll check it out. Everyone should really read io9's analysis of the pilot script before getting their hopes up. I can't get over what a hilariously ill-advised idea this is though.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Bown posted:

The trailer looks kind of awful....but fun in a pulpy way, so I'll check it out. Everyone should really read io9's analysis of the pilot script before getting their hopes up. I can't get over what a hilariously ill-advised idea this is though.

Oh dear Lord, that's (if accurate) not a good sign. Still, every decade needs its "Birds of Prey", right?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Alfred posted:

Oi! Master Bruce! Stop playing silly buggers! Get your bloody arse down off there!

I think I will watch it just to see this line spoken.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 6, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
But does Gordon have a beer and "cheet" on his wife?

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I thought Arrow was going to be shite but that turned out all right so I'll definitely give it go. I had no idea this was a thing until I saw the thread.. Is taking inspiration from Batman: Year One?

Zerok
Feb 23, 2014
The trailer looks nice, hopefully it will be good. Nice to see some backstory on Gotham as a setting before Batman came to life.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I thought Arrow was going to be shite but that turned out all right so I'll definitely give it go. I had no idea this was a thing until I saw the thread.. Is taking inspiration from Batman: Year One?

Batman Year One was covered in Batman Begins and Batman Mask of the Phantasm mostly, although this does have Gotham police corruption in it (as did Begins).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Looking forward to seeing kid Clayface playing with mud at the park's playground.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Krad posted:

Looking forward to seeing kid Clayface playing with mud at the park's playground.

Every episode a young Harvey Dent narrowly avoids facial burns. Someone spills a cup of coffee on him, it turns out to be cold. He falls over into a pool of liquid, turns out it's rainwater.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why they aren't just doing a Gotham Central show. It's such a perfect premise for an original crime procedural.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Steve2911 posted:

Every episode a young Harvey Dent narrowly avoids facial burns. Someone spills a cup of coffee on him, it turns out to be cold. He falls over into a pool of liquid, turns out it's rainwater.

So it's going to be like Hot Tub Time Machine where the characters are constantly trying to figure out when Crispen Glover loses his arm?

Man if they actually ran with the Hot Tub Time Machine plot, only with Booster Gold, Skeets, Blue Bettle, Fire, Ice and Guy Gardner instead that would be the GREATEST thing ever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SimonChris posted:

I don't understand why they aren't just doing a Gotham Central show. It's such a perfect premise for an original crime procedural.

Oh please, people won't be able to take Mr. Freeze and the serial murder of fake Robins seriously. Now let's have (script spoilers)the coroner be Riddler so that we can make autopsy scenes funny.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Steve2911 posted:

EXT. NIGHT -- ALLEYWAY
Bruce Wayne (aka BATMAN) stands over his dead parents.

BRUCE (AKA BATMAN)
I'm going to get the JOKER who did this to my parents.

He narrows his eyes and then turns and winks directly into the camera before backflipping out of frame.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I loved the trailer, but I still think this will turn out to be mediocre. That said, it's a Batman show and stars Donal Logue so I am all in.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

SimonChris posted:

A Law & Order: Gotham City Major Crimes Unit series would be the best thing ever. But...we get what we get.

The Question IRL posted:

Man if they actually ran with the Hot Tub Time Machine plot, only with Booster Gold, Skeets, Blue Bettle, Fire, Ice and Guy Gardner instead that would be the GREATEST thing ever.

Okay, this would be the best thing.

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 6, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

SimonChris posted:

Because they can't do a show with any expectation that the actual Batman would show up. That was Birds of Prey's whole deal: Bruce Wayne was still out there in the show's universe somewhere, but he had abandoned Gotham, so instead you get his daughter as Huntress, Oracle, and awkward fight scenes with t.A.T.u. blasting over them.

I'll probably give this a shot to see how Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock turns out. But this show has a lot going against it, even more so than Arrow did.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hcreight posted:

Because they can't do a show with any expectation that the actual Batman would show up. That was Birds of Prey's whole deal: Bruce Wayne was still out there in the show's universe somewhere, but he had abandoned Gotham, so instead you get his daughter as Huntress, Oracle, and awkward fight scenes with t.A.T.u. blasting over them.

I'll probably give this a shot to see how Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock turns out. But this show has a lot going against it, even more so than Arrow did.

Haha, in six seasons you get to see bruce put on a grey tshirt with a yellow oval on the front of it.

Also, I really liked Donal in Terriers, so I'm happy at least that he's in this. The trailer didn't do much for me, though.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm hopeful that this will be a good show but if Donal Logue's track record is any indication it won't last too long. He already killed Copper and Terriers but thankfully he didn't torpedo Vikings.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Well the show has some more stuff going for it than Arrow or Birds of Prey.

1. Casting is really spot on: Like as people said Selina Kyle is perfect so is the guy playing Penguin.

2. No Joker at the start. It's always a good sign when the Joker isn't pulled out at the very beginning. He's awesome, but he's getting a bit overused, it speaks to some level of confidence in the premise that they've tucked him away somewhere.

3. It could be legit interesting to see how Penguin and Riddler become the crazy nutters we come to love. Batman has always been a bit more about the villains than Batman and both Penguin and Riddler have never gotten good origin stories.

4. Bruce is young enough that he can't be flying around as Batman without a time jump. So at least they are somewhat committed to not having Batman.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
holy poo poo

this is awesome

can we just get the rest of southland's cast please

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm in for the first few episodes on Logue as Bullock and Sean Pertwee as Alfred alone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So wait, how much older than Batman is Catwoman supposed to be?

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride

raditts posted:

So wait, how much older than Batman is Catwoman supposed to be?

+2 years

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

She looks like she's in her 20's.

Edit: IMDB says she's between 13-15. Maybe she just wears too much makeup.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'd love to hear the line of reasoning behind changing Poison Ivy's name and also how she's suddenly not a regular girl up until her accident.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SpazmasterX posted:

I'd love to hear the line of reasoning behind changing Poison Ivy's name and also how she's suddenly not a regular girl up until her accident.

Maybe it's a nickname? And Pamela Isley was a botanist, so it's not like she couldn't have a connection to plants before she turns into Poison Ivy.

Not that I really know though. The leaked script might not even be real.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Calling it now: the first season finale will have an outright reference to the Joker, setting him up as someone to come in for season two. That's why he's under wraps right now, he's the season finale bomb they want to drop.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

can we just get the rest of southland's cast please

Right? I'm glad to see most of the Southland people getting work in one way or another.

I'm not convinced that McKenzie has much dramatic range, but just about anything related to cops he has covered.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Antti posted:

Calling it now: the first season finale will have an outright reference to the Joker, setting him up as someone to come in for season two. That's why he's under wraps right now, he's the season finale bomb they want to drop.

Or at least until the ratings start dropping.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Burning_Monk posted:

Or at least until the ratings start dropping.

I have an image of my mind of several "Joker" scripts encased in glass with a sign that reads "Break In Case Ratings Drop Bellow Two Million Viewers"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The trailer looked surprisingly not-awful but I can't imagine this being a good show, not unless they just get all the winking references out of the way in the first episode and then just completely focus on Gordon's struggle to survive the utter corruption of the police force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd be alright with Red Hood, but they should stay away from Joker. With Smallville, Clark meets and fights all his villains before he's officially even Superman. It'll be even more ridiculous for that to happen before Batman hits puberty.

• Locked thread