Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm so into this. I love Batman but his pretense distracts from what could be a great idea in the normal, nonmasked guys who fight crime in that city. I want more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bum the Sad posted:

My name is Nigma and I tell riddles! What subtle foreshadowing!

To be fair that's literally what he is in the comics. I mean the smart solution is to just not put a lovely character like The Riddler in at all, but if you're gonna, yea he's gonna be fuckin stupid.

Still I'm on the fence, on one hand this show seems to be trying REALLY HARD and good for that, there's really clever ideas like that 'we have a bunch of background people planned who maybe could become the joker who knows' and the general concept of it taking place in a broad, vague 'the past' to allow character interactions we wouldn't normally see, but wow the writing is horrible. Like, I'm a comic nerd and even I'm going 'no, people don't talk like this'. I'm looking forward to Lil Catwoman looking at Bruce and smirking before saying 'I guess you can say I'm a little catty' or some poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Barry Convex posted:

It's... okay, if you can get past the groan-worthy villain introductions, clunky dialogue, and terrible bisexual love triangle subplots.

I definitely think the prequel aspect will prove to be this show's undoing. And to think they could have just done a Gotham Central adaptation.

Yea I really, really, hope this show focuses on the cops through the plotline. I can deal with corny 'WE GOTTA SET EVERYTHING UP' prequel syndrome if it means I get an actually well done, good production values, show that's just fuckin cops in a city full of lunatics who think putting a green suit on and putting a bomb in a clock tower makes them crime bosses. The series of comics that was just like, following the GCPD around in Batman's wake and poo poo was the best, I want more of that. Gordon is good, he had the least groany lines of the cast, give me more of him and his cop buddies dealing with this totally retarded city, and the occasional look at Bruce and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mira posted:

Yeah, it's really more a backstory to the backstory, considering the length of time it would take for Pamela's canonical backstory to initiate.

I thought that Falcone in the end pretty much confirmed that it was a random street killing, and all the conspiracy stuff was a red herring.

Yea the end was totally 'yea it was a random crime, gently caress you though', the conspiracy stuff was just the cops being led around on a wild goose chase.

Also agreeing that Alfred having an RP accent, while well done in the animated show, fits way less than him sounding like a working class dude. I liked Caine, I like this guy, I like an 'approachable' Alfred, this guy sounds and acts like a guy who would make a good surrogate father figure for a kid like Bruce because he's kinda just a dude who happens to be the Wayne family servant rather than THE ANCIENT AND NOBLE SCION OF THE WAY OF BUTLER. If we must have a batman prequel that will probably go the smallville route and never have Bruce put the cowl on until the last episode, we better get a good deal of Bruce and Alfred broing out because that dynamic is one of the few on the show that 100% worked, Bruce is a great little future sociopath, Alfred is a great butler who desperately wants to help, I wanna see them interact way more than I wanna see a cop sneer and say 'spare me your riddles, Nigma' before the camera zooms in on the Riddler and the producers basically jump in front of the lens and shout "GET IT?!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's got to be more to the killing though, with the $6 bullet and shiny shoes that the killer wore. There's no way that this is the last we're going to see of that investigation.

I'm sure there could be more, but it'll probably be stuff like how the Nolan movies were all 'THEY WERE HELPING GOTHAM TOO MUCH' or something, a pretty 'simple' conspiracy I guess, someone was pissed off that they were dogooders, hired a guy to blast em, that inspires Bruce by showing him that this town needs more than charity fundraisers to clean it up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Knight2m posted:

This version seems like more of a hard-rear end than other iterations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he says to Bruce as they are leaving the crime scene something to the effect of "Don't let them see you cry."

That and his "oi get your bloody rear end down from there" moment. Gotham Alfred is taking zero of Bruce's poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rocksicles posted:

Catwoman not being 18+ is killing neckbeards everywhere.

Yea like those types care.

Also this was a really big jump from the pilot, and I think it was stronger for it. I love this weird fusion of camp and grit, that's exactly what Batman needs, I think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bbf2 posted:

That's kind of what they did to Jimmy Olson on Smallville, except much worse because instead of father/son it was two brothers who both inexplicably had the same first name.

Pretty much. There can be a kid named for his father who wants to follow his footsteps, it'd be a more reasonable reveal than "oh poo poo Jimmy had a brother also named Jimmy!!!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nate Falls posted:

The lady who convinced me to watch this show has a theory that Alfred is Ra's al Ghul. I like it, it's crazy.

Also, whoever is in charge of Osawld's hair continuity has been stepping up thsir game lately.

I think he means more in the sense that instead of enabling his child ward to go off this path of insanity he should have probably smacked the poo poo out of Bruce and gone through with burning the crazy-board and poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blackchamber posted:

I think it'd be interesting if Nigma gets canned for being a creeper and Gordon puts in a good word for him (being a good guy who feels bad for him) with Alfred as a tutor for Bruce's interest in forensic science. They develop a friendship, Bruce enjoys his riddles, and the paychecks fund his criminal interests.

Yea that'd be cool, he's been breaching some lines lately I could see him getting shitcanned and something like that happening. Bruce needs to learn detective stuff and Nigma needs a shift from harmless sperglord to "I'VE PUT A BOMB IN FIVE SPECIAL PLACES, GUESS WHERE!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone got a count for how many times Harvey had half his face in shadow? I legit think they couldn't make it through one scene without it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chapstickie posted:

I think they called him Penguin before the limp because of how he dressed. Remember how his mom complimented his dress-sense? Everyone else was making fun of him for it.

Yea he was penguin because he wore tuxes and poo poo, it was the least hamfisted 'GET IT' they had, not a good one mind you, but I can see dumb crooks being all 'ha ha lookit this penguin' about a nerdy dude who wears tuxes and probably thinks himself above a lot of them.

I suppose I was too hard on the shadow face thing, considering I'm positive that in the first draft they had the dude Dent snapped at and threatened say 'you really are a two faced guy' or something else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dalael posted:

I disagree.

Its the whole point of Gotham City. Crime is so prevalent, people are so corrupt.. Big time criminals don't even bother hiding it anymore, because that is how untouchable they are by the law. That is why Gotham needs batman. I think those scenes are just perfect.

Except they do. The entire point of Penguin's status as a triple (?) agent and Fish's rando stripper turned Italian mother/girlfriend figure is that the smart criminals are keeping their poo poo on the DL. Falcone hides his meetings, Marone meets in his restaurant when it's empty or at least a bit away from the customers' area, even the loving Russian had his scumbag drug warehouse thing. Fish is literally the only big player who does her poo poo in the open and that's why literally everyone knows her plans. She's lovely at her job. I like her as a character but the entire point is that she thinks she's way smarter than she is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

Gotham Central was actually a really solid comic. Anybody who is interested in the ideas of Gotham would probably enjoy it. I does take place D.B. (during batman), but it focuses on the non-susperhero side of the cop stuff.

I still like Gotham but I'll never forgive it for not just being a TV interpretation of Gotham Central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if Riddler's 'snap moment' is seeing one of his few friends get hosed over too much and wanting to send a message to the powers that be I'd be pretty happy with that.

• Locked thread