Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Preparing the 2nd post made me realize that "the games of E3" are hardly ever the games that everyone ends up loving and it makes me want to look at past E3s to compare the super-hyped games of those years and what their final metacritic score was.

The answer is high eighties or above because those are the games that ride the hype train right into the absurdly inflated review scores.

Looking back to last year, the launch games for PS4 and Xbone were being pushed hard and I don't think any of them found fans even among the die hards. We still haven't seen half of the games hyped because you know that an 18 month marketing blitz is a really efficient use of that budget. Even the games that might have caught some attention if released right after the E3 announcement have had the bloom come off the rose; look at the reactions to Watch_dogs right after E3 and now to see how people seem to have stopped caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Badingading posted:

For some reason as I was remembering the trainwrecks of the past few E3s, this song started to loop in my head. I can't wait for what surprises are in store for this year.
I'm surprised this song didn't enter your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-RtAd4WxfA

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I feel like the game people enjoy the most from Kinect is still Dance Central but I honestly don't keep up to date on Kinect games. Every Kinect demonstration at E3 is the most painful thing. LOOK AT THIS WATER, WE CAN GO ANYWHERE, WOW

The official debut of Kinect in 2009 when it was called Project Natal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gup50W7r33c

I got a good laugh out of the comment "That avatar has bonitis".

I feel bad for the Kinect, because it has the potential for some really useful non-game applications (I'd love to be able to control my TV-connected PC by waving my arms around and yelling, and maybe it'd make some of that Windows 8 bullshit tolerable) or even AR type stuff like I saw on Kinect hacking sites when it first came out, but Microsoft doesn't want to seem to go that direction at all.

Random Stranger posted:

The answer is high eighties or above because those are the games that ride the hype train right into the absurdly inflated review scores.

Looking back to last year, the launch games for PS4 and Xbone were being pushed hard and I don't think any of them found fans even among the die hards. We still haven't seen half of the games hyped because you know that an 18 month marketing blitz is a really efficient use of that budget. Even the games that might have caught some attention if released right after the E3 announcement have had the bloom come off the rose; look at the reactions to Watch_dogs right after E3 and now to see how people seem to have stopped caring.

Well, it's been almost two years since the first E3 showing of Watch Dogs which got everyone all hyped up, and that wasn't really until they got to the part where they hacked the traffic light into causing an accident. The preview they showed last year looked boring as poo poo.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 7, 2014

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

A price cut has to be like the main thing about their conference. But slashing the price means removing the Kinect and then they'd have to admit that forcing Kinect on people was a mistake. I wonder if they can overcome their pride on that.

Preparing the 2nd post made me realize that "the games of E3" are hardly ever the games that everyone ends up loving and it makes me want to look at past E3s to compare the super-hyped games of those years and what their final metacritic score was.

Remember all those 3DS games that came out last year that weren't even at E3 2012 the year prior? Made even better because they had a forty-minute mini-conference that night that talked about everything for the 3DS but the cool games.

Like gently caress, what was that loving thing they spent time on? The thing they commissioned for the 3DS Nintendo Video app.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

I'm surprised this song didn't enter your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-RtAd4WxfA

Some things you just shouldn't remember.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If anyone thinks E3 has changed lately, you can buy this on Amazon for 1 cent plus shipping and see how little things have changed:

(That's a DVD set of E3 2004 coverage.)

Really, they've been this way since they were part of CES, they've just gotten more public with the insanity.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Remember all those 3DS games that came out last year that weren't even at E3 2012 the year prior? Made even better because they had a forty-minute mini-conference that night that talked about everything for the 3DS but the cool games.
That was really weird. Reggie let the Treehouse guy host it and then just sat there admiring him the whole time, while Treehouse guy spent half an hour talking about Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

So if the Xbox and Wii-U both get destroyed by their own internal companies, this means that games are only going to be put out on the PS4 and PC.

We are so close to Videogame Singularity. Soon we shall be bitching from our Oculus Rifts.
Actually, Sony's hurting too - and not through any fault of Sony Computer Entertainment's, since the PS4 is selling like hotcakes. It's more their TV business that's taking the entire company down with it.

Besides, you're forgetting the elephant in the room, the one the media keeps singing the praises of every waking minute: mobile. Apple will fill the void of Nintendo, Microsoft and/or Sony with $1 apps filled to the brim with awful touch controls for genres that simply do not work with touch controls, as well as microtransactions that are mandatory to make any progress at all in the game, and we will be expected to be grateful for this.

The future of video games, everybody! :shepicide:

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 7, 2014

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Taint Reaper posted:

So if the Xbox and Wii-U both get destroyed by their own internal companies, this means that games are only going to be put out on the PS4 and PC.

We are so close to Videogame Singularity. Soon we shall be bitching from our Oculus Rifts.

I know you're joking but I think we really are in the twilight of the consoles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
At least we'll always have PC...right?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 7, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

At least we'll have always PC...right?
Probably not a big showing at E3 outside of the indiecade, Valve's not even going to be there. Even games that will come to PC will be announced specifically for consoles on stage. That's how it always goes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
PC will be dead before long too. With every ring of the bell E3 kills games every year, little by little.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Accordion Man posted:

At least we'll have always PC...right?

The future of console wars will be Steam vs. Mobile.

And after the smoke clears, there will only be one winner left.

Television. Now on the Xbox Two (the fourth Xbox (now owned by Comcast))

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

just remember that the only good game this year was developed in a few months and was about a goat climbing a ladder and was PC only

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

just remember that the only good game this year was developed in a few months and was about a goat climbing a ladder and was PC only

Putt Putt Saves The Zoo HD rerelease was stellar, I agree.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just went to E3 toast-master Geoff Keighley's tweets page to see if they had anything about Peter Molyneaux coming back to SpikeTV and this is seriously his Twitter avatar.

Literally a robot

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I know it had my favorite youtube video people playing it too! Very funny!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Just went to E3 toast-master Geoff Keighley's tweets page to see if they had anything about Peter Molyneaux coming back to SpikeTV and this is seriously his Twitter avatar.

Literally a robot

Looks familiar

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't wait to see PewDiePie finally get his own segment at E3! He's had it coming for a long time. I love him.

"FUCCCCKKKK. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE ZOMBIE KILLED ME!"

poetry

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Hace posted:

I know it had my favorite youtube video people playing it too! Very funny!

I love YouTube

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Destiny's $500M bill just blows my mind. Hollywood doesn't spend that much on movies and has made every attempt to cap budgets after a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel clocked in at 300M. This is literally how creative downfalls start, with someone being given a blank cheque and they take advantage of it. What the hell are they spending it on?

You said it OP: expect a fuckton of DLC and especially micro-transactions because no way is Activision just going to rely on finicky-as-gently caress gamers to pay off that bill.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 7, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I can't wait to see PewDiePie finally get his own segment at E3! He's had it coming for a long time. I love him.

"FUCCCCKKKK. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE ZOMBIE KILLED ME!"

poetry

I thought he already did or am I thinking of something else?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
C'mon guys be nice to Geoff. The horse he backed this year for his "Final Hours of..." e-book app hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet and Game Trailers might be getting sold off from Viacom at some point in the near future maybe we don't know yet.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I love YouTube.

Then do I have the blast from days of E3 past for you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

I thought he already did or am I thinking of something else?

You are thinking of the VGX, good sir, which would have been a great celebration of video games had that dastardly Joel McHale not been there to ruin it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
E3 2014: We Watch a Presentation about games so we'll know what LP's to watch to watch people play games.

There's people who are so loving excited about videogames so they can watch other people play them, yes they can't even be bothered to play a loving videogame but they just love videogames so loving much.

This is why aerosol beer is a thing because you're dealing with such lazy no effort shits like these. This is what brought down Rome.

Doctor Whose
Sep 6, 2013

Justin Godscock posted:

Destiny's $500M bill just blows my mind. Hollywood doesn't spend that much on movies and has made every attempt to cap budgets after a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel clocked in at 300M. This is literally how creative downfalls start, with someone being given a blank cheque and they take advantage of it. What the hell are they spending it on?

You said it OP: expect a fuckton of DLC and especially micro-transactions because no way is Activision just going to rely on finicky-as-gently caress gamers to pay off that bill.

Since it has equip-able gear in it the microtransactions will be plentiful. Hats by the hundreds, branded shirts, and the best looking shoulders each for the low price of $3.99 a piece! Perhaps the inclusion of bosses dropping chests that require a key to open and the keys are only $2.49! Bonus dungeons that have increased drop ratios with pay gates at the start!

The only question is what kind of digital currency will they be using. Gems? Coins? Creds? Bonus points if the fake currency buy rate always leaves you with a few leftover like Xbox Lives old points system would.

Doctor Whose fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 7, 2014

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So just sayin', you guys should expect a lot of E3 magic this year. It should be absolutely amazing.

And yeah Valve doesn't do E3 anymore because they basically hate tradeshows. They talked about it at their Steam Dev thing, which was sort of The Anti-Tradeshow.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

They've made a game that would have to sell 20+ million copies to break even.

A lot of heads are going to roll.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This year Electronic Arts will hand off the idle Mutant League Franchise and Road Rash to Violation studios allowing fresh new take on classic IPs and genres to prosper among the entrenched franchises.

this is under a list of stuff that will never happen.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Doctor Whose posted:

Since it has equip-able gear in it the microtransactions will be plentiful. Hats by the hundreds, branded shirts, and the best looking shoulders each for the low price of $3.99 a piece! Perhaps the inclusion of bosses dropping chests that require a key to op and the keys are only $2.49!Bonus dungeons that have increased drop ratios with pay gates at the start!

The only question is what kind of digital currency will they be using. Gems? Coins? Creds? Bonus points if the fake currency buy rate always leaves you with a few leftover like Xbox Lives old points system would.

The scary thing is the die-hard Bungie fans will honestly see no problem with this while at the same time snarling at EA for their DLC.

I love E3 season, it's where we can all get together and be cynical assholes towards gaming as this kind of catharsis over crap that pisses us off but still get excited when something good gets announced.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

pentyne posted:

The Road to E3 2014: Video Game Crash 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So 200x longer then Ground Zeroes is what, 2 hours? 4?

Looking forward to no new Castlevanias. RIP IGA. :smith:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

pentyne posted:

The best selling Halo game was Halo 3 and that one sold 11M worldwide.

poo poo is going down.

Edit: Granted Halo was on one console but I can't imagine a lot of Bungie fans grew up on PlayStation to make up the difference.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 7, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's the most wonderful time of the year :allears:

SpaceDrake posted:

So just sayin', you guys should expect a lot of E3 magic this year. It should be absolutely amazing.

And yeah Valve doesn't do E3 anymore because they basically hate tradeshows. They talked about it at their Steam Dev thing, which was sort of The Anti-Tradeshow.

So is Trails in the Sky 2 gonna be there? :v:

Doctor Whose
Sep 6, 2013

Justin Godscock posted:

The scary thing is the die-hard Bungie fans will honestly see no problem with this while at the same time snarling at EA for their DLC.

I love E3 season, it's where we can all get together and be cynical assholes towards gaming as this kind of catharsis over crap that pisses us off but still get excited when something good gets announced.

It's true. Even though the drat thing will probably be riddled with P2P hooks, I still think it looks like a good time since I love co-op shooters more than competitive ones these days.

AAA games are becoming more and more of a hate-gently caress situation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Justin Godscock posted:

The best selling Halo game was Halo 3 and that one sold 11M worldwide.

poo poo is going down.

They named the studio Bungie because they felt it could bounce back from anything.

They should have just made Borderlands with better loot rules and larger areas with more vehicles and they could have been golden, but then they hosed it up.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

E3 2014: We Watch a Presentation about games so we'll know what LP's to watch to watch people play games.

There's people who are so loving excited about videogames so they can watch other people play them, yes they can't even be bothered to play a loving videogame but they just love videogames so loving much.

This is why aerosol beer is a thing because you're dealing with such lazy no effort shits like these. This is what brought down Rome.

aerosol... beer?

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Predicting Nintendo winning E3 again this year

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
drat is it e3 time already? Time to poo poo all over videogames again! And let me tell you something...I'm filled with a surprising amount of poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Guys E3 is among us and I think it is the perfect window of opportunity to become part of gaming journalism. Is it too late to contact the usual sites and blogs to pitch articles where I complain about game trailers having guns and the lack of Strong Female Presenters in press conferences?

• Locked thread