Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bobtheconqueror posted:

I was under the impression they were going to go for an MMO expansion model with Destiny. Those early dev diaries when they were talking about 10 years of Destiny sounded a lot like a WoW or Everquest model where you buy the game, then buy expansions over time to keep you playing. Considering it's basically a Halo MMO anyways, I just kinda figured that's what they'd do, content-wise.

Destiny is going to crash and burn so hard. The audience they are targeting is going to forget about it as soon as the next Call of Duty comes out and the poopsock crowd that will actually devote years to playing the same game are mostly on PC.

Even most Hollywood CG-fest movies these days don't cost anywhere near $500 million and those have a much larger potential audience. The question is will it be a normal flop that results in a lot of layoffs or a truly epic Daikatana-esque flop that takes half of the game industry down the toilet with it.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Destiny is going to crash and burn so hard. The audience they are targeting is going to forget about it as soon as the next Call of Duty comes out and the poopsock crowd that will actually devote years to playing the same game are mostly on PC.

Even most Hollywood CG-fest movies these days don't cost anywhere near $500 million and those have a much larger potential audience. The question is will it be a normal flop that results in a lot of layoffs or a truly epic Daikatana-esque flop that takes half of the game industry down the toilet with it.
I'm sure some of the budget is being allocated for the next several years but it's still an almost infathomable amount of money to overcome. Apparently the Destiny staff is over 500 people. I don't even understand what roles you hand out to the 498th, 499th, or 500th person. It just sounds crazy.

What would actually be worse is if Destiny were to actually SUCCEED, because then every company would think "well I guess we need to spend half a billion dollars to make a video game now" and holy poo poo would things dive in a hurry if it came to that.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

The_Franz posted:

That $500 million number is pretty bonkers. I actually think the game will do fine, but Activision throwing that much into marketing is still crazy. For me, a decent shooter that gets good content expansions would be pretty cool, but that was essentially Borderlands, or, for a less successful and probably more similar example, Defiance. They have to hit a perfect point to get a decent crowd that'll stick around, cause you're entirely right that a bunch of Halo fans are gonna pick this up, play it for a while and do some PvP, then drop it for CoD of Battlefield or whatever.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

What would actually be worse is if Destiny were to actually SUCCEED, because then every company would think "well I guess we need to spend half a billion dollars to make a video game now" and holy poo poo would things dive in a hurry if it came to that.

They're already heading towards the cliff since studios are making games with Call of Duty budgets and not getting Call of Duty sales numbers. Upping the ante would just hasten the inevitable plunge onto the jagged rocks.

EDIT:

Oh, and how can there be an E3 without a bunch of terrible products that fat neckbearded slobs will rush to buy because some company put the word "game" in front of it?

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 7, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Isn't destiny pretty much borderlands without the 2d look?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

keyframe posted:

Yes, but with areas that are more like an mmo with a bunch of players that aren't in your party running around. Dungeons are party only, so pretty much Borderlands.

VVVV: Yeah, probably worth saying Borderlands with Halo gameplay, so probably a bit better than Borderlands.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 7, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

keyframe posted:

It looks like it might actually be a fun game though, instead of just a lazy and shallow "Diablo with guns" with omg so wacky internet humor!!

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

The_Franz posted:

They're already heading towards the cliff since studios are making games with Call of Duty budgets and not getting Call of Duty sales numbers. Upping the ante would just hasten the inevitable plunge onto the jagged rocks.

EDIT:

Oh, and how can there be an E3 without a bunch of terrible products that fat neckbearded slobs will rush to buy because some company put the word "game" in front of it?

We'd be blessed to have another Dew Bunker.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

At least there's the chance that basketball and hockey fans will be around to humiliate gamers during the event, seeing how the Clippers and Kings are doing.

You know, that being the part that came true out of all the "crazy future" tales our media told us really says something about us and the world we live in.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I am struggling to think what possible market they think they are trying to hit with a console only shooter mmo. FPS mmos are a horrible idea in the first place because the only thing that makes mmos work in the first place is GCDs and autoaim spells to make up for the fact players will be trying to play with pings up to the 500ms mark where shooter gameplay is functionally impossible. Are they going to make data centers for Australia and other geographically unlucky places or have they decided to write them off as potential customers?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

Sure, the gameplay isn't very good but my precious video game waifu makes it art.

Dragging Women Places: The Videogame.

I bought it for 12 dollars when it was on the PS2 and beat it within a few hours, and I even got the super special mace. It had a lot of good puzzles and areas, but it was a short game.

Byolante posted:

I am struggling to think what possible market they think they are trying to hit with a console only shooter mmo. FPS mmos are a horrible idea in the first place because the only thing that makes mmos work in the first place is GCDs and autoaim spells to make up for the fact players will be trying to play with pings up to the 500ms mark where shooter gameplay is functionally impossible. Are they going to make data centers for Australia and other geographically unlucky places or have they decided to write them off as potential customers?
I don't think Cooldowns are going to be a big part in the game. We're getting to the point where a ton of games just are not putting them in because nobody likes downtime.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I'm looking forward to at least one of the conferences dedicating 20 minutes to a service which won't be available or relevant in my area, I re-watched some snippits of the Microsoft E3 2010 and wow is that big section to ESPN cringeworthy. "COLLEGE FOOTBALL GUYZ"

On a more positive note, more games to be announced that I won't be playing for a few years yet, by the time I make the jump to PS4 there will be a crapton of things to play for a much cheaper price. Bring on Project Beast. :)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For the companies it is free advertisement and for us it is a trainwreck.

Let's get this party started :toot:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Here's hoping I can finagle a pass to the shitwagon

with any luck Ouya will have a water bottle booth outside

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I just.... I just love E3. As much as I like games, games are so stupid, and I love that the premier event for showcasing games is the dumbest thing about them. It's a beautiful play that filters out the unneeded bullshit and keeps the concentrated dumb that is the core of the industry.

It's fast become my favourite time of year, as it ushers in a endless collection of vids, gifs, and soundbites of nerds and clueless business types being giant loving idiots saying the dumbest things possible, in the worst way possible.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This will also be the first year without Adam Sessler reporting on the show floor isn't it?

What a long, strange trip it's been for him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bpc908 posted:

Predicting Nintendo winning E3 again this year

Introducing: THE WII USS

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Doom Goon posted:

Like Christmas come early :neckbeard:

Ha, beat me to it. I knew exactly what you were referring to. Ah yes, the reason everybody bought a 3DS, 5-minute minisodes of trash!

I joke, but apparently the studio is self-releasing DVD sets later this year :laffo:

Oh lord now you've given me a homework assignment. CURSE YOU DOOM GOON

this is why I follow the E3 threads

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder what famous celebrity they are going to pay to pretend they give a poo poo about videogames.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DrManiac posted:

I wonder what famous celebrity they are going to pay to pretend they give a poo poo about videogames.

Major Nelson

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If we can get another mid-conference Usher concert again like we did two or three years ago, I will be a happy happy man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I remember how everyone talked about how Sony totally won the E3 and console war poo poo with the ps4. I haven't really heard any news about any of the new generation consoles since they release. What big games came out for the PS4 that makes it better than the other two consoles?

I think they "won" by "loving up the least." It was basically a default win against the Xbone.

Doom Goon posted:

Like Christmas come early :neckbeard:

Ha, beat me to it. I knew exactly what you were referring to. Ah yes, the reason everybody bought a 3DS, 5-minute minisodes of trash!

I joke, but apparently the studio is self-releasing DVD sets later this year :laffo:

I thought I'd made that poo poo up in a fever dream, because apparently they'd given up on it long before I got a 3DS last year. I kept getting download links for that Dinosaur Office poo poo that I didn't ask for though, at least until they finally killed the whole video thing off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
All I want for E3 is Dishonored 2 and Tomb Raider 2. Can you pull off two announcement trailers for two well-received games without loving up, games industry?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

I wasn't looking forward to anything at E3 since the likelihood of new SSX and Katamari games being announced is minuscule, but a sequel to Dishonored would be fantastic. I remember there being a lot of rumors about it not long ago, so hopefully it makes an appearance and isn't terrible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This will also be the first year without Adam Sessler reporting on the show floor isn't it?

Wow, everything there just looked so... '90s. I felt like I was back in college for a minute there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just watched the in a nutshell vid for 2012's E3 and holy poo poo it is staggeringly similar to last year's. I mean it's not as bad, but just the massive parroting of video services, apps, and things that are very much not video games and the last minute involves games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHCOc-g5DAM

The prophecy foretold us of this.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hey, I was at that e3!

My friends sent me there to pick up cheap sound cards from Creative's booth. $200 Sound Blaster Live! cards for $100.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Why is the standard game journalist defense "I never got any money" as if people were saying that they were getting envelopes full of cash? Is it deflection or do they just not understand the concept of payola?

Also, you should be managing the sites. That's apparently where the real money is like the explicit $750,000 Microsoft gave to Polygon.com.

The advertising and editorial departments are completely divorced from one another. They don't speak to each other or correspond in any way. Most of the people you ask in either department will say they've never met anyone in the other one. Stuff like the GameSpot Kane and Lynch Gerstmann thing was an outlier and the first and only incident I've ever seen where advertising affected editorial.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

raditts posted:

Wow, everything there just looked so... '90s. I felt like I was back in college for a minute there.
Sess was looking dangerously Fieri back then.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

DARPA Dad posted:

The advertising and editorial departments are completely divorced from one another. They don't speak to each other or correspond in any way. Most of the people you ask in either department will say they've never met anyone in the other one. Stuff like the GameSpot Kane and Lynch Gerstmann thing was an outlier and the first and only incident I've ever seen where advertising affected editorial.

So games journalists aren't paid off, they're just actually incredibly bad at their job and it's a coincidence that they end up giving absurdly high scores to mediocre games with huge advertising budgets?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

1stGear posted:

All I want for E3 is Dishonored 2 and Tomb Raider 2. Can you pull off two announcement trailers for two well-received games without loving up, games industry?

Fallout 4, man. That's probably the only game I'd really just lose my poo poo over being announced. Although getting more info on the new SW Battlefront would be pretty awesome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apparently Mass Effect 4 might be announced at E3. Do people even like that series anymore? Didn't that franchise go south really quickly? Or is this a case of EA just not having much of a plan other than Sequels Sequels Sequels!!!!

Rumors about Sony's conference leaking today, could be a hoax, who knows:

- Media Molecule is working on a VR game for Project Morpheus
- Sony Japan debuting multiple titles, one of which is Project Beast
- Uncharted 4 to get "in-engine" 3 minute trailer

The rest sounded like complete and utter fanfiction so that's all I'll transcribe. I wonder if Media Molecule will ever develop a game that's actually as fun to play as it looks.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 7, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I wonder if Media Molecule will ever develop a game that's actually as fun to play as it looks.

Tearaway :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Apparently Mass Effect 4 might be announced at E3. Do people even like that series anymore? Didn't that franchise go south really quickly? Or is this a case of EA just not having much of a plan other than Sequels Sequels Sequels!!!!

They always said there were going to more Mass Effect games than just the trilogy, but then the original ending to ME3 shat on everything that came before in the most extraordinary way and the developers had no idea how to fix it. They just got a plan that said "Make a fourth Mass Effect" and didn't even know if it should be a sequel (how?) or a prequel (no one cares).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lotish posted:

They always said there were going to more Mass Effect games than just the trilogy, but then the original ending to ME3 shat on everything that came before in the most extraordinary way and the developers had no idea how to fix it. They just got a plan that said "Make a fourth Mass Effect" and didn't even know if it should be a sequel (how?) or a prequel (no one cares).

Last I heard of ME 4 was the team that did the mp in 3 was going to be in charge of it.

I think the only thing I really want to hear game-wise is anything on persona 5. Most of the games I'm super excited for this year are either well known or kickstarter games.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Whenever I ask people about what they want for a new Mass Effect game, they usually say they want some procedural crime game about being a CSec officer on the Citadel, and that's it. If ME4 isn't that in some form, I'm not sure there will be any interest at all.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I was thinking it would be kind of cool if they did some more focused stuff with the ME setting. Get some world building going by doing more specific, smaller games, then I thought it would be cool if they did a starfighter kind of game, then I remembered that the first game explicitly said that fighter craft were impractical (in this setting) as much more than glorified sensors due to ftl travel and light lag, but for some reason the ending of 3 had a whole shitload of fighter craft and then I get upset.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Rumors about Sony's conference leaking today, could be a hoax, who knows:

- Media Molecule is working on a VR game for Project Morpheus
- Sony Japan debuting multiple titles, one of which is Project Beast
- Uncharted 4 to get "in-engine" 3 minute trailer

The rest sounded like complete and utter fanfiction so that's all I'll transcribe. I wonder if Media Molecule will ever develop a game that's actually as fun to play as it looks.

Why is "in-engine" in quotes?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Because it's E3, so it's "in-engine" in the same sense that Watch Dogs was "in-engine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

Why is "in-engine" in quotes?

Because you should never believe that video footage from a game is actually representative of the final product until the game is released and it's captured by someone not actively trying to sell you it.

• Locked thread