Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So how exactly did Destiny get 500 mil? Did they not have someone set a strict budget or what? I don't understand how they're spending all that money expect to recuperate costs even with DLC.

"No, we need to spend all of the money!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orgia Carnaval posted:

So how exactly did Destiny get 500 mil? Did not have someone a strict budget or what? I don't understand how they're spend all that money expect to recuperate costs even with DLC.

Same way the Hobbit movies cost 500 million (god those were bad movies though). It's being spread out over 10 years. So it's not as bad as it sounds.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's a re-branded pokewalker but this time with a color LCD display.

Nintendo Wiiuya

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love this annual train wreck.

I am hoping Battlefront looks decent though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo's big E3 reveal: a Skylanders knockoff

Engadget posted:

We hope you liked Skylanders, because Nintendo is apparently setting up its own range of toys to accidentally tread under foot. At the company's financial briefing this morning, it outlined a Mario figure that could be used across multiple titles, somehow tying into game saves too. It's not the first for Nintendo's console: Pokemon Scramble connected NFC toys to the Wii U last year. Interestingly, Nintendo had apparently declined exclusivity on Activision's lucrative Skylanders series.

These physical characters and games, grouped together as NFP (jarringly: NFC Featured Platform), will debut at this year's E3, alongside a new IR reader for 3DSes that will make the toys compatible across both the handheld and the Wii. With 3DS sales currently totaling 43 million, and the Wii U struggling to top six million, it's probably a wise business decision.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Quest For Glory II posted:

Goons are going to poo poo on this until they announce the Walugi figure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skylanders and Disney Infinity are making obscene piles of cash (I would not be shocked if Skylanders outgrosses Call of Duty for Activision now). If Nintendo does this with Pokemon then they've got a real chance to... well, not bounce back really but not have embarrassing sales figures any more.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 8, 2014

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

When you buy the GBA version of Mario 3 on Virtual Console years from now scanning a Mario figure on the portal will add all those e-reader levels we never got that it turns out they had this whole time on cards that never got mass produced.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Those things work because you can hook them up to systems that are already in many households. They make money, but nobody is going to buy a console because of them.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Justin Godscock posted:

It is to people who are tired of Modern Warfare, killstreaks and loadouts in every loving FPS.

Unreal Tournament basically invented killstreaks :ssh:

Except back then your reward was the announcer saying ridiculous(ly cool) things.

RAMPAGE!!!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

I would play a SEGA skylanders. SEGA has the better characters.

Too bad they ignore 90% of them in games where they all come together and just slap Sonic and his hundred stupid friends, everyone from monkeyball, and Ulala and call it a day.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

As disappointing as Unreal Tournament 3 was, it's still a much better game than every single fps that's been released since.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Organs posted:

As disappointing as Unreal Tournament 3 was, it's still a much better game than every single fps that's been released since.

High speed, twitchy arena shooters with no loudouts aren't the be-all-and-end-all of multiplayer FPS games.

There seems to be a large contingent of PC gamers that grew up with Quake 3 and UT who steadfastly refuse to acknowledge anything which deviates from that type of FPS as a "proper" shooter, as if the genre peaked in 1999. I enjoyed Quake 3 with a m+kb, but I also enjoyed Halo with a controller at the time, which seemingly makes me a freakazoid.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Das Butterbrot posted:

Unreal Tournament basically invented killstreaks :ssh:

Except back then your reward was the announcer saying ridiculous(ly cool) things.

RAMPAGE!!!

Yeah but it's a game for FAGWADS because it didn't give you round ending nukes :smug:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

psyman posted:

There seems to be a large contingent of PC gamers that grew up with Quake 3 and UT who steadfastly refuse to acknowledge anything which deviates from that type of FPS as a "proper" shooter, as if the genre peaked in 1999.

I acknowledge other shooters. I just think they loving suck and are poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It probably was the Medal of Honor Warfighter trailer that did it at E3 2012, but it was around that point that I decided that shooters did in fact peak at the turn of the millenium.

I still play shooters but between early TF2 and the last shooter I enjoyed playing online is probably a chasm spanning back to the original Half Life mods.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just hope they announce Blood Dragon 2 because April Fools is over and it's about drat time they come clean with that

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
old gamers who remember the good old days ITT

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Almost everyone who watches E3 to hate games is old, that's the big secret

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hace posted:

Not me I'm a young gamer who loves new experiences

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Everyone just needs to accept that they don't make video games for them any more.

I, for instance, know that I will be playing 2D fighters and Final Fantasy Tactics until the day I die.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Hace posted:

Lol if you think it was ever not poo poo. Back in the day you were just young and dumb as gently caress.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cams posted:

Everyone just needs to accept that they don't make video games for them any more.
That's not true, they still make anime lawyer games. Specifically for only me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

Video games have always been stupid, but at least when they came on a loving disc it didn't hound me for spending 99 cents to get waste less time on menial bullshit.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

No, but it claimed Last Guardian was going to be shown at this year's E3. And a new Syphon Filter, and a new Wipeout, and a new God of War, and a new Gran Tourismo. All stacked up it sounded pretty improbable.

Eh, we at least know that something is coming out of those studios, so the question isn't "Do Sony have enough manpower to manage all these games", its "what are the odds SOny would think its a good idea to make a new Syphon Filter and Wipeout". My guess, they've been tracking the data for the sales of their Ps1 classics, and looking to what the people want that they're in a position to give them. Syphon Filter and Wipeout were the only things in the top 50 they still have the rights to.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

Goons are going to poo poo on this until they announce the Walugi figure.

A Waluigi crotch-chopping figure would be the best thing Nintendo has done in years though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

We'll find out that the assist trophies in Smash Bros are all figures you can buy that turn them into playable fighters. That's how they'll squeeze blood out of that stone.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

psyman posted:

There seems to be a large contingent of PC gamers that grew up with Quake 3 and UT who steadfastly refuse to acknowledge anything which deviates from that type of FPS as a "proper" shooter, as if the genre peaked in 1999. I enjoyed Quake 3 with a m+kb, but I also enjoyed Halo with a controller at the time, which seemingly makes me a freakazoid.

I'm not saying that the last 10 years of shooters aren't proper shooters, just that they're all trash for dipshit console gamers. The genre peaked in 1999.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

psyman posted:

Well since 1999 the shooter genre has become boring linear corridors linking boring identical set pieces, gray and brown, designed for terrible controller interfaces instead of keyboard and mouse as god (and Carmack) intended, designed to fragment the user base and bleed extra money from them, and completely failed to actually advance in any interesting or meaningful way. So yeah, I think it's fair to say that FPS genre peaked around then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dunno i'm old and bitter towards the video game industry because it's a piece of poo poo, but I still manage to get really excited for E3. Also, I might finally be able to attend E3 this year. I'm gonna finish filling out the information I need to give in order to get a media press badge and then I'll be able to attend.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The problem with Modern OORAHfare games is every mode breaks down to instagib without the gib.

Point and kill
Point and kill
rinse repeat

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Overbite posted:

I would play a SEGA skylanders.

So, Shenmue 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg1lIfQUM8g

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

Skylanders and Disney Infinity are making obscene piles of cash (I would not be shocked if Skylanders outgrosses Call of Duty for Activision now). If Nintendo does this with Pokemon then they've got a real chance to... well, not bounce back really but not have embarrassing sales figures any more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%E9mon_Rumble_U

I'm always a bit bitter about what CoD has become because Cod:UO was ridiculously fun at the time. You ranked up in the match and in the match only, going from private up to platoon sergeant which required 40 points and at that point you could call in airstrikes ever so often. Ranks would give you maybe 2 extra clips of ammunition and or more grenades as well as binoculars later on. loving tanks in that game too, that poo poo owned.

Growing up on that and UT2K4 made any console fps feel subpar

bef fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 8, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Praying for Metroid!!

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I think the Halo series, probably either Halo 2 or 3, were the peak for FPS multiplayer shooters personally, but then I always liked the slower-paced more team-oriented gameplay over the twitch-death of Quake and UT.

I think where UT 2004 was really amazing was the massive, crazy mod community that made an insane amount of unique modes and levels. It was basically the Trackmania of first person shooters.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

bullet3 posted:

I think the Halo series, probably either Halo 2 or 3, were the peak for FPS multiplayer shooters personally, but then I always liked the slower-paced more team-oriented gameplay over the twitch-death of Quake and UT.

I think where UT 2004 was really amazing was the massive, crazy mod community that made an insane amount of unique modes and levels. It was basically the Trackmania of first person shooters.

Regenerating health, a poo poo controller, terrible online service, and only two weapons because Xbox players couldn't handle more than that, yep sounds like the pinnacle of gaming to me.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Regenerating health, a poo poo controller, terrible online service, and only two weapons because Xbox players couldn't handle more than that, yep sounds like the pinnacle of gaming to me.

They made the most of console limitations and tuned the pacing of the games to emphasize team-work, vehicles, and map exploration. To this day its the most fun I've had with local multiplayer shooters.

Quake/Unreal can be fun, but public matches tend to turn into clusterfucks and too much of them boils down to mindless twitch shooting, the same reason I don't really like COD.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I thought it was pretty innovative with two fire modes for every weapon and the ability to actually cause chain-reactions if you have quick enough reflexes to take advantage of it. All the weapons in UT have several pages long design documents devoted to them describing what situations they are useful in and why they were coded into the game and what the goal should be in respect to maintaining their balance in an arena style shooter.

As far as I know, you can't throw a grenade and shoot it to cause it to detonate prematurely as a strategy in COD.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It really kinda sucks that Activision went on record saying they could add fully destructible environments like Red Faction and Battlefield but said that having walls get destroyed and grounds being turned into craters would ruin the competitive aspect.

Competitive E-Sports gaming always ensures the fun stuff gets removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I would have thought it got removed because it would drive their servers into the ground.

• Locked thread