Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237930/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTik6sYT_BE

Woo! I just noticed preorders were available, but I couldn't find a thread, so here's one until someone makes a better one. (Feel free!) If you don't know what Transistor is, it's the newest game from Supergiant Games, the creators of Bastion. It's an action game, but you can pause the world and use up an action bar to preplan rapid strikes and movement against your enemies.

That's about all I know, but I'm super excited about playing it, simply on the strength of Bastion alone. :D

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Can't loving wait for this, everything I've seen so far about it looks great. Bastion was already one of my all-time favorite games and it looks like they're keeping that quality going with Transistor.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Not sure what I look forward to more, the game or it's soundtrack.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agean90 posted:

Not sure what I look forward to more, the game or it's soundtrack.

Yes.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

I'm looking forward to everything. Even if it's a repeat of Bastion. I suspect the planned move mechanic will have a lot of depth to it though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The soundtrack for me, for sure. If even one track is even HALF as good as "Setting Sail, Coming Home" I'll be one happy little clam.

The gameplay looked fun, too, from what I saw of a preview a few months ago. Might have been a TotalBiscuit video, I'm at work so I can't check. But the music and the way the story was told in Bastion were the main draws, and I hope they get a repeat performance here.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Looking forward to it but a little skeptical based purely on that we have seen basically nothing about this game since it was announced. Going to wait on reviews before committing.

Goddamn that trailer theme though. It is a crime they haven't released the full version of that yet.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

1stGear posted:

Looking forward to it but a little skeptical based purely on that we have seen basically nothing about this game since it was announced. Going to wait on reviews before committing.

Goddamn that trailer theme though. It is a crime they haven't released the full version of that yet.

That's fair, but I suspect Supergiant Games won't make a huge deal out of their game prior to release, even if it's fantastic. They didn't do it with Bastion either. I don't think they really have much marketing to speak of.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Can't wait to beat on people with a giant flash drive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoolooman posted:

That's fair, but I suspect Supergiant Games won't make a huge deal out of their game prior to release, even if it's fantastic. They didn't do it with Bastion either. I don't think they really have much marketing to speak of.

It's featured on the front page of the PS4 store (next to a popcorn ad).

e:You can also preorder it there (or the webstore) but I don't know if it gives you any benefits. No game has had preloading on the PS4 yet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's up for preorder on Steam as well, with the soundtrack. Listed release date is 5/20. I had forgotten about this after having heard nothing for the what, year since the first look at it? Now all of the excitement is flooding back, amplified even more by how soon it will be coming out.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Well from watching the trailer, the main character is caught in a Dystopian cyberpunk future and has to wail on The Singularity with a giant motherboard?

Sign me up :swoon:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They sung the full song from the trailer at PAX (starts at 5:45): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KudXO0DO04U

Debating if I'll preorder this or not since I still listen to Bastion's music.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Bellmaker posted:

Well from watching the trailer, the main character is caught in a Dystopian cyberpunk future and has to wail on The Singularity with a giant motherboard?

Sign me up :swoon:

Don't forget the motherboard talks to her with the voice of Logan Cunningham!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lakbay posted:

They sung the full song from the trailer at PAX (starts at 5:45): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KudXO0DO04U

Debating if I'll preorder this or not since I still listen to Bastion's music.

Holy crap that's good. Really looking forward to the soundtrack. The game too I guess.

Edit: Here's what's going to be the in game version.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 7, 2014

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I'm kinda surprised this is coming out so soon. Expected to be waiting a lot longer. Hopefully it's good though

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright man, there'll be only one full-price purchase to make before the Summer Sale and this is going to be it.

Bastion's the only game I got all the achievements of, and I would not object if another Supergiant game joins the true GOTY of 2011.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Preordered went it first went up. I only do it when I trust the dev/game enough and Bastion is one of my favorite games and I want to play this Day 1 and support Supergiant. Still wish the soundtrack came free as a preorder bonus though.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

It's been under development for many years, as far as I know. They're just good about waiting until they have a product to talk about it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zoolooman posted:

It's been under development for many years, as far as I know. They're just good about waiting until they have a product to talk about it.

I think that might be your own oversight. They've been promoting the game at most bigger game events since last E3.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I think that might be your own oversight. They've been promoting the game at most bigger game events since last E3.

When I think of hardcore marketing campaigns, I think preorders 6 months in advance, tremendous ads on all the gaming sites I frequent, etc. This game got a release date announced 2 weeks before it was coming out. That's all I mean.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Zoolooman posted:

When I think of hardcore marketing campaigns, I think preorders 6 months in advance, tremendous ads on all the gaming sites I frequent, etc. This game got a release date announced 2 weeks before it was coming out. That's all I mean.
Well, it's a $20 downloadable title, I can't name any in the same category that have that kind of marketing budget. Sony has been pushing it pretty hard though at their game conferences, on the blog, twitter, and on the PSN store.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Rusty posted:

Well, it's a $20 downloadable title, I can't name any in the same category that have that kind of marketing budget. Sony has been pushing it pretty hard though both at their game conferences, on the blog, and twitter.

Bastion actually got such ads AFTER release. WB pushed it hard once it was already a success. I remember the full page splash on RPS, for example.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zoolooman posted:

I think that's par the course for an indie dev the size of Supergiant really.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Zoolooman posted:

Bastion actually got such ads AFTER release. WB pushed it hard once it was already a success. I remember the full page splash on RPS, for example.
I guess I just have seen a lot of push for this game just following PS4 news, so maybe my perception is skewed. I also think the date was announced like 2 weeks ago.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I feel like Supergiant kind of came out of nowhere with Bastion and it was my favorite game of 2011 (and one of my favorites ever.)

The trailer song for Transistor gives me shivers because it's so good.
I am so looking forward to this.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Everything having that giant red eye reminds me a lot about the reaverbots from Megaman Legends and this is not a bad thing.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I normally have a strict no preorder rule these days.

I violated that rule so hard. Having listened to the Bastion Soundtrack for what feels like forever now, i cant skip this for the voice acting / music alone.

The fact that the gameplay looks like the best of bastion meets tactics light and the huge cyberpunk aesthetic, its an absolute no brainer.

Then again supergiant could sell me a potato with a gold star on it, and id buy it for the soundtrack alone.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I enjoyed Bastion and I suspect I will enjoy Transistor as well.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I pre-ordered the poo poo out of this, even with no discounts or free soundtrack bonuses, based on the strength of Bastion. Here's to hoping it doesn't disappoint me!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I was kind of disapointed, when I noticed that my laptop isn't quite good enough to run it.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

I got to play this at both PAX 2013 and 2014. This game is my most anticipated game for this year. What I found striking about this game was the level of freedom and creativity you get to have in the combat. They're more like puzzles than actual hack n' slash button-mashing.

The level of polish that occurred between 2013 and 2014 was staggering. I was initially disappointed because the "level" on the showfloor was the same layout, but the upgrades between the two years was immense. They added upgradable skills, a victory synopsis screen after each little skirmish, and experience. This game takes cues from Bastion, but I get the impression that it will be much more linear in stage selection. The choices seem to be more in how to develop your skills, how to spend your experience and how to defeat enemies on the battlefield.

Believe me, this is a steal at $20 and I can't wait until it drops next Tuesday.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Supergiant just posted the launch trailer for Transistor. I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

http://youtu.be/RT55lch6y_U

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I was going to wait and see, but that trailer makes me sorely tempted.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Woo they changed MC's run animation.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Thyrork posted:

I was going to wait and see, but that trailer makes me sorely tempted.

If it helps, all it really does is show off a little gameplay along with the faces of some characters who I assume are some of the villains. Got a neat background track to it, as well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rascyc posted:

It does seem to be an interesting change. She used to be able to hold the sword up with what looked like relative ease, and moved with a bounding gait. Now she's walking as quickly as she can while dragging it across the ground behind her.

Kinda conveys the idea better that she's a singer, not a fighter, and that thing is huge and heavy.

I wonder if she'll revert to the other animation later in the story? That'd be a pretty neat way of showing her growth.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 16, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I remember seeing that running animation before, so I'm guessing the change isn't very recent. How did it look in the reveal?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I remember seeing that running animation before, so I'm guessing the change isn't very recent. How did it look in the reveal?

She basically skipped across the floor, it was pretty jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
It's a small thing but the music fadeout at 1:25 is perfect.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread