Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

PantsBandit posted:

Shouldn't this game be out by now? I thought Steam at least was getting a midnight release.

Unfortunately no. There is no midnight release. The game will be available at 1pm EST.

YouSpoonyBard fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Are there any reviews for this game? Or is it a situation where the reviewers get to play it when everyone else does?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Are there any reviews for this game? Or is it a situation where the reviewers get to play it when everyone else does?

The embargo lifts in a couple of hours. I believe reviewers have had their copies for a week or two at least.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Hoping this £5 Amazon code I got from them will be valid for MP3 purchases. If so, I'll have gotten the game from Supergiant directly for about £12, and then the album separately from Amazon for £3. And Steam wanted £22 for the same stuff. :smuggo:

As an aside, it's a shame we had to get a bit of a crappy price conversion on the game over here. Still, just meant I got it directly from the devs instead, and so they got more money. Oh well!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Steve2911 posted:

The embargo lifts in a couple of hours. I believe reviewers have had their copies for a week or two at least.

Cool, thank you.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The Spotify version of the OST is pure temptation and evil. I wont give in though. I'll just loop the launch trailer for a few more hours. :shepface:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jumping on the OST wagon. The full veresion of We All Become is so great.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Otherwise, no.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I can't spend anymore money on games. I can't spend anymore money on games. I can't spend anymore money on games!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Okay, the embargo is up. Obviously all the big sites will have their reviews up momentarily, but here are my thoughts.

Combat

You can play the whole thing in real time. You can rely on the turn-based system entirely. You can do turn-based combat, but augment skills so they can be spammed in real time as your pause meter recharges.

At its core, the combat is about your experimentation with skills. They can be used in one of three ways: As active abilities, slotted to lend other abilities specific bonuses, or as passives that directly benefit your character at all times.

You'll have access to stuns, chaining projectiles, stealth, summons, debuffs, backstabs, dashes, area of effect explosions, charms, shields, damage over time, pulls, health drains, traps, and probably a few things I'm forgetting. All of which can be granted additional properties from up to two other skills. For instance, you might want to have a dash that has a reduced cost and causes an explosion at your destination. My personal favorite combination was an extended range chain shot which bounced between every enemy in sight and dealt DoT damage.

You're encouraged to keep trying new combinations. After every major combat encounter there's a station that lets you tinker with your skill setup. By winning an encounter with a skill as either an active ability, an augmentation, or a passive, you unlock one of that skill's three pieces of lore. Additionally, the game keeps track of the skill combinations you've tried and presents this information clearly with little checkmarks. I don't even know what you ultimately get for trying every combination, but I have been switching out all of my skills after every single fight and still haven't tried them all after having completed the game.

I enjoyed Bastion quite a bit. Spending most of my time in turn-based mode here, the combat is obviously very different, and for me it's more rewarding. I don't have to worry about what specific weapons feel like. Instead, I think about the sorts of things I'd like to do in a fight, then tinker with my skill setup until I have abilities with the firing rate, range, and effects that I want.

Art + Music

Lovely. Of course Jen Zee's art is gorgeous, and here it's woven into the game more dynamically than it was in Bastion. There are lots of stylish breakpoints where a scene turns into a splash page or a scrolling collage in the sky as Red travels from one area to another.

Overall the design is super strong and vivid. It fits the narrative (which is once again conveyed creatively, from the narrator to terminals that you come across and interact with in suprising ways) and is packed with character. I love how the aesthetic creates a very specific futuristic setting with its own vibe. It's nothing like Blade Runner or anything I can think of. The society, architecture, fashion, and entertainment have all been thought out and illustrated in a few relatively simple but evocative character portraits and profiles.

My only real complaint? There is a ton of enemy variety in terms of their abilities and attack types (compounded by the higher tiers of certain enemies that mix things up further) but their nature and color scheme are fairly similar. It makes sense within the narrative, and you do come up against some unique bad guys, but there are some fairly long stretches where white robots with black and red accents seem to be the only thing you encounter.

Also, the narrator's (vague spoilers) demeanor and delivery change for reasons that make sense, but the transition drags on too long for my taste.

Since Red is a musician, all the phenomenal music comes across as a natural extension of her character and this really weird world. You can press a button and Red will hum as long as it's held down. Sometimes the narrator joins in. Also, the reward for challenge rooms is mostly music and it's always worth it.

If You Hated Bastion

I have no idea what you'll think about this game. If it was purely the feel of the gameplay that turned you off, maybe the turn-based stuff will be more to your liking. If you don't experiment with the preposterous number of skill combinations I could see the combat getting repetitive.

While the combat and world are very different from Bastion, the basic structure is very similar. You're running through cool environments for a bit, then taking on groups of familiar enemies in new configurations, then soaking up the scenery and repeating the process until you hit one of the goddamn gorgeous moments where writing, art, and music hit you in the face all at once.

Random Thoughts

The game took a little over nine hours to complete, only dabbling in half the challenge rooms. I'm not sure how different that would have been if I had used real time combat more often and spent less time poking around at the skills and lore.

The story isn't so much about twists and revelations as it is a gradual, trippy exploration of the setting and a group of characters. It takes a while for all the pieces to come together but when they do it hits pretty hard.

New Game plus seems to be worthwhile. In terms of pure narrative it's interesting to revisit the beginning now that you have a better understanding of what's going on. Beyond that, the enemies have new tricks, and after beating the game you'll probably still have a number of levels left before you've unlocked all the skills and upgrades.

Here are some tips I picked up along the way, all of which concern turn-based combat:

- If you're relatively close to an enemy, get behind it before unloading your attacks. Backstabs increase damage by a solid amount and the cost of positioning is relatively low.

- Try to have at least two damage dealing active skills at any given time. If you run out of health the game penalizes you by "breaking" one skill and giving you full health again. At one point I only had one damage skill, a stealth, and a pull. Guess which one the game chose to break.

- In general, when you're facing tough enemies it's good to open up with a skill that weakens their defense, followed by a DoT, then a heavy hitting blast, and maybe end with a cloak so you can reposition yourself while real time kicks in and the DoT does its thing.

I'll have a feature about the game plus a brief review in tomorrow's Video Game Article on the front page.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 20, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So it sounds like it mostly lives up to the hype while maybe being a bit on the short side?

Although I guess for the price 9 hours isn't that bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PantsBandit posted:

So it sounds like it mostly lives up to the hype while maybe being a bit on the short side?

9 hours is definitely more than I expected.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-transistor/2300-8899/

A quicklook from Giantbomb.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm pretty sure bastion was shorter and that game was worth several times more than I paid for it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This game is really loving pretty holy poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh poo poo it's out!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Bastion was about that size, if not shorter. Supergiant doesn't go in for epics.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

Oh poo poo it's out!

I didn't believe you but then..

:ninja:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wish I didn't have this stupid 9-5! Well, it's nice having money but still I want to play Transistor :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I thought it wasn't until 40 minutes from now, hot dang, installing. :flashfap:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't have a PS4 so my only concern is the system requirements of this thing. It doesn't look very intensive but glancing at the specs I think my laptop would break into a cold sweat trying to run it maxed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Come on Humble Bundle, send the keys out :f5:

EDIT: They're out.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 20, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
gently caress you all for making the next four and a half hours torture. :gonk:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
http://supergiantgames.bandcamp.com/album/transistor-original-soundtrack

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

You can press a button and Red will hum as long as it's held down. Sometimes the narrator joins in.

ugh yes

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11460-Transistor-Review-Red-Red-Fine

3 1/2 stars from Jim Sterling, who did not like Bastion (and I agreed with him), so that says something. Because of that I'll probably buy it after I finish Wolfenstein.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The narrator is just as terrible as the one in Bastion and like Bastion seems to be the games only flaw.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The narrator is just as terrible as the one in Bastion and like Bastion seems to be the games only flaw.

There are people that actually think this? :psypop:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Too far...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I imagine this opinion sliding out of your mouth like a mass of slimy filth. It has a stench to it.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

I said come in! posted:

What's it like to be so wrong?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

If you're not trolling, I feel sorry for you, man.

Played a little bit just now, is pretty fun so far.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm having a weird problem where it's like no matter what resolution I pick, I'm only getting like the top left corner of the screen. Like it's zoomed in too far or something, has anyone else experienced this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No, sorry, you guys defending the narrator in Bastion and this game are undeniably wrong as gently caress. Narration in a video game is one of the worst possible things you can do to a games presentation.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Is the ps4 version available yet, or is that still at the whim of whenever the hell sony updates the store today?

MrsPooky
Jun 25, 2003

by Smythe

I said come in! posted:

So, to every other person on the planet who is able to hear, the game is flawless?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

I said come in! posted:

No, sorry, you guys defending the narrator in Bastion and this game are undeniably wrong as gently caress. Narration in a video game is one of the worst possible things you can do to a games presentation.

Now you're just trying to hard.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

There are people that actually think this? :psypop:

Cats like being contrary. They are amazing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Rei_ posted:

I'm having a weird problem where it's like no matter what resolution I pick, I'm only getting like the top left corner of the screen. Like it's zoomed in too far or something, has anyone else experienced this?

I experienced this, but it fixed itself when I dialed the resolution down (from the default to 1600x900). I'm on a retina Mac running bootcamp, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

exser posted:

Is the ps4 version available yet, or is that still at the whim of whenever the hell sony updates the store today?

Later as far as I know. Unless Japan suddenly realises internet.

• Locked thread