Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Stupid question, but I'm still somewhat new to Steam. Where/How do I find the OST if I ordered it with the game?

Edit: Thanks!

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Stupid question, but I'm still somewhat new to Steam. Where/How do I find the OST if I ordered it with the game?
Should be under Steam -> SteamApps -> common -> Transistor

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Broken Cog posted:

After a while, you kinda have to use both modes interchangeably, especially if you're running with limiters on.

Speaking of limiters, are they meant to function as some sort of optional hardmode thing, or should I be using them? I tried them out but didn't really understand what the tradeoff means.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

THE PWNER posted:

Speaking of limiters, are they meant to function as some sort of optional hardmode thing, or should I be using them? I tried them out but didn't really understand what the tradeoff means.
You're basically taking on extra challenge for extra XP. I found most of them to be too much of a pain in the rear end, though there was one that disabled the auto-pause when you're about to die, which I didn't use all that often anyway.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Uhm, was that a phantom of a person walk by? I'm seeing little digital ghosts in some areas
I'm not sure if this is related, but in this game's version of New Game Plus places where I remember humming in the first playthrough are now marked by little music notes. When I stand on one spot and hum, I see what appears to be my ghost from that playthrough running around for a few moments.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Were all of these lockups a common problem with Bastion as well? That game is unplayable for me as it locks up after 2-3 minutes of gameplay and crashes everything else around it including steam. If it doesn't crash it wakes back up 5 minutes later and the background music disappears.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Hahaha ok I have no idea whatsoever how they managed to miss this obvious screw up with the Survival challenges.

So the challenges are basically be in a tiny room with continually spawning Process and just Not Die for a period of time, right? So you would think you'd have to use careful positioning and use of cover and keep killing Process to keep their numbers down to make it to the end, right?

No. See, enemies have this odd quirk where if you move fast enough (say, during Turn) so that you move them completely off screen, they basically just forget you're there. And stop doing anything. And if you can lure all the existing mobs in a survival challenge to one end and then move far enough in the other direction, you can basically just chill and run out the clock.

I just did this for the second challenge which is supposed to be 1:30 in duration and at 1:10 I had gotten everything into one corner, jaunted into the other corner, and just stood there for a minute to get the win.

It is kind of ironic that you triumph over a bunch of process by... exploiting a quirk of artificial intelligence, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a way to see in-challenge what your abilities do? The second speed challenge took me quite a while until I realized that get() does more damage if you're further away from the target.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Been playing a bit after the first boss so far and I noticed if when you're queuing damage it will say you're going to overkill the monster. If you keep queuing skills despite that the "overkill" message will change, so far it seems to go:

Overkill
Overkill!!
Do you even read
You are mean

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Just beat the game and its pretty good (didnt do challenges). Combat doesn't get boring, still a few style I want to try. "Story" is interesting but kind of falls flat at the end. And about the story If you are expecting any answers or cohesive plot expect to be disappointed. I probably missed something though

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just finished it. Took me about 5 hours but I only did a few of the challenges.

Incredible game. I'm glad I bought the version that came with the soundtrack.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to break its heart.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hot protip if you're playing on PS4: in the options, you can set the sword's voice to come out of the controller speaker instead. Which is awesome.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Two hours in and I have only one thing to say:

Hum()

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Acquire Currency! posted:

I'm going to break its heart.

This was an awesome moment. It took me a bit to figure out exactly what Red was trying to do there but once I figured it out I was all :unsmith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Eh, I'm really not feeling the combat at all. I'm mostly running Jaunt + Crash and Breach + Mask so I can breach their defenses and backstab them to death, but I'm getting my rear end kicked and its just getting boring. I'm going to try and stick with it but I definitely like this less then Bastion which disappoints me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got to say that, now that I've beaten it, I'm pretty disappointed. The game was good, it just wasn't great. I think part of the problem is that Supergiant is really riding out the "From the makers of BASTION" thing; it's listed on the store page three times for starters. The fighting is very complex for the amount of skills you're given but just like in Bastion, you're not given enough actual fights with which to experiment. However, unlike Bastion, I didn't find any infinite survival mode or anything like that.

The whole thing just feels like Bastion but with more skills to use. It looks the same, plays the same, sounds the same, and the plot is even almost the same. I'd be alright with that if it wasn't trying to tell a different story, which fell flat pretty much immediately after it was over because of the method they chose to tell it. I had fun experimenting with what little room I had available to but the story felt generic and bland and that drew me way out of it. There just wasn't enough substance for how hella short it is for me to enjoy it.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Update to help resolve the lagging/hitching/freezing issues.

Right-click the game in Steam
Click properties
Click Set Launch Options
Type:
"/SwapInterval=0"

This has seemed to fix the issue for a number of people, devs say they are aware of problem and working on fix.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Eh, I'm really not feeling the combat at all. I'm mostly running Jaunt + Crash and Breach + Mask so I can breach their defenses and backstab them to death, but I'm getting my rear end kicked and its just getting boring. I'm going to try and stick with it but I definitely like this less then Bastion which disappoints me.

To teach their own I guess but if you're getting your rear end kicked you should probably find something that doesn't make you get your rear end kicked

Experiment a little, you can do some really cool stuff with the skills

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This is an OK game but not great. It's pretty and has great audio, but the actual mechanics are just a fairly boring puzzle game. It's really not a worthy successor to Bastion in any sense, but the aesthetics and Bastion-esque narration are catchy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I've got to say that, now that I've beaten it, I'm pretty disappointed. The game was good, it just wasn't great. I think part of the problem is that Supergiant is really riding out the "From the makers of BASTION" thing; it's listed on the store page three times for starters. The fighting is very complex for the amount of skills you're given but just like in Bastion, you're not given enough actual fights with which to experiment. However, unlike Bastion, I didn't find any infinite survival mode or anything like that.

There was no "infinite survival mode" in Bastion and I've found challenge rooms less than an hour in.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

I've tried buying this from the playstation store on my console, phone, and computer and no matter what, it tells me an error has occurred and to try later. My impulse to buy it has been dampened and now that I know how short it is, I might just wait for a ps+ discount. I tried!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

There was no "infinite survival mode" in Bastion and I've found challenge rooms less than an hour in.

You can use the survival mode items in the Bastion infinitely, which is what I meant. The challenge rooms are non-repeatable from what I've seen, I didn't play very far into NG+ before I got bored.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Anyone else notice the "editor.exe" in the game files directory?

I'm waiting to finish the story, but I wonder if there will be custom map or mod support? That could be pretty amazing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

CJacobs posted:

The whole thing just feels like Bastion but with more skills to use. It looks the same, plays the same, sounds the same, and the plot is even almost the same. I'd be alright with that if it wasn't trying to tell a different story, which fell flat pretty much immediately after it was over because of the method they chose to tell it. I had fun experimenting with what little room I had available to but the story felt generic and bland and that drew me way out of it. There just wasn't enough substance for how hella short it is for me to enjoy it.

I agree with your disappointment in the story. I liked the presentation and narrator but all the characters were one note characters and there wasn't enough depth. I would like to know more about the universe (and have a few things explained) but there wasn't enough time.

I haven't played bastion in a while so I can't comment on how same it is.

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009
Further technical info I've managed to pull from random dev posts on the Steam forums:

The "/SwapInterval=[X]" launch command affects the game's VSync behavior.
1 is on (this is the default), 0 is off, -1 is adaptive.

There is also:

"/nofixedstep"

For this command no dev has confirmed what it does or does not do, however it has helped those with 120hz monitors hit 120fps. I'm assuming the game has an internal frame rate limiter which seems to be at an odd number (66fps) and this disables that. Dev posts say not to use this command with any of the Vsync commands.

If this is not the cause of your freezing/stuttering, you're most likely encountering a problem with the game's online features.

The little ghosts and music notes you see in certain places from time to time are other people playing, apparently this feature is the cause of most people's hitching issues. The current confirmed fix for this is running the game in Steam's Offline mode.

May be a good idea to add these fixes to the OP for the time being, until a patch is released?

Hope this helps, best of luck.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Anyone found a decent working fix for the game never launching on PC? Still can't get mine to work.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Reasonerr posted:

Anyone else notice the "editor.exe" in the game files directory?

I'm waiting to finish the story, but I wonder if there will be custom map or mod support? That could be pretty amazing.

There was a door at the top of the challenge tree that I never saw open.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 21, 2014

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Is it possible to fall in love with a voice? Just wondering. I feel like a little boy again listening to some of the songs.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Holy Cheese posted:

Is it possible to fall in love with a voice? Just wondering. I feel like a little boy again listening to some of the songs.

I'm in love with both the singer's voice and Logan Cunningham's voice. :allears:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

CJacobs posted:

These are all valid complaints, even though I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. The good news is that with Bastion, they actually did patch in new challenges at one point, so there's a chance that we'll see something similar for Transistor. Really more than anything I'm just itching for the game to let me tool around with a bunch of different weapon combos and that's not coming so easily just yet.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Anyone found a decent working fix for the game never launching on PC? Still can't get mine to work.

I rebooted and it worked.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
There's the practice room to try out all the different elements.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
What's the best build to just cheese this game? Because this game is barely doing anything for me but I think I'm like almost halfway though so I just want to try and get it done quick.

Man this game is just such a disappointment, the combat's a slog and the characters and plot are barely there. It's all style with little substance.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 21, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Accordion Man posted:

What's the best build to just cheese this game? Because this game is barely doing anything for me but I think I'm like almost halfway though so I just want to try and get it done quick.

Man this game is just such a disappointment, the combat's a slog and the characters and plot are barely there. It's all style with little substance.

1. You have no soul. :colbert:

2. Ping with Crash, Jaunt with Purge, Cull.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I really liked the game overall! It felt like they were still riding the Bastion train a tiiiiny bit, but I'm not really complaining. Combat was pretty fun and I look forward to going through on NG+. Also looking forward to any potential extra junk added later on like they did with Bastion.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

President Ark posted:

1. You have no soul. :colbert:

2. Ping with Crash, Jaunt with Purge, Cull.
I don't have Purge and Cull yet, but I'll try out the first. Thanks.

Honestly the biggest problem with this game is they got rid of health pickups. The whole losing your powers thing when you get hurt enough is just an awful idea.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Loving this game so far. Found a fun bug using Help() that will propel you off the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-eL6WbLJM

Quality is low, and the visuals were totally bugging out, but it looks like I'm not the only person having those problems.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

God drat, this is good. The whole 'function' upgrade system is a little confusing though. So the first 4 you choose are on your slots, and any others are used as 'upgrades?' to the four on your slots?

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 21, 2014

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

derriere demons posted:

God drat, this is good. The whole 'function' upgrade system is a little confusing though. So the first 4 you choose are on your slots, and any others are used as 'upgrades?' to the four on your slots?

Yeah, pretty much. You choose 4 abilities as your 'base', and then everything else modifies those 4 abilities. It's kind of like Materia on crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

derriere demons posted:

Also, my game seems to freeze for a second or two from time to time. Anyone else getting this?

You don't have to fill all four "active slots". You can distribute your skills any way you like as long as you have at least 1 active (REALLY should do damage) and that your added skills fit within the memory limit. Everything else can go in available upgrade slots, or passive slots once you get to around level 4-5.
I get the hitching as well. The developers are apparently aware of this, and a fix is on the way.

E: Beaten again!

• Locked thread