Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, why would anyone want to play as Waluigi?

Every goon wants to because goons have a bizarre obsession with him.

I wish they had the Paratroopa but I'm okay with the normal Koopa Troopa also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I've been groovin' to the credits theme all day. Someone help, I can't stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkr5IlqO3I

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
MK8 is the sole reason I'm happy I still have my Wii U. I am a huge fan of the Mario Kart -franchise - MKWii and MK7 were my most played games on their respective systems - and this seems to be a step up from the previous instalments. I can see myself playing this for hundreds of hours - all the way until the new Smash is released.

Say whatever you want about Nintendo's decisions regarding their console-architecture and lack of third party support, but they haven't lost an ounce of their magic. Super Mario 3D World was a good showcase of this, and MK8 seems to follow suit.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I don't know how well-known this little tidbit is, but it's possible to escape blue shells using mushrooms again!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

horriblePencilist posted:

I don't know how well-known this little tidbit is, but it's possible to escape blue shells using mushrooms again!

You mean it stopped being possible for some game(s)? For some reason I always thought I just became poo poo at it all of a sudden.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

So are we gonna start trading NNIDs or is there some community feature that will make it pointless?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The review embargo has been lifted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsO8K7jUDRM

Just about everywhere is saying the game is amazing. The next two weeks are gonna be long.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 15, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeANMcBAY posted:

The review embargo has been lifted.

Great news, I'm gonna hold off temptation to watch the Game Explain video though. Knowing those guys it'll just be 9 minutes of discussing a single pixel and comparing it pointlessly to the same pixel for the last 7 iterations of Mario Kart.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Great news, I'm gonna hold off temptation to watch the Game Explain video though. Knowing those guys it'll just be 9 minutes of discussing a single pixel and comparing it pointlessly to the same pixel for the last 7 iterations of Mario Kart.

I watched a couple of video reviews just now and I think the GameXplain one was the best of them all. It did still have a bit of their signature pedantic streak, but for the most part they did a good job explaining what was good and what was holding the game back.

The bottom line seems to be this:

+Best Mario Kart game yet
+The new tracks are all fantastic
+No performance issues
+Online works perfectly
-Battle mode is a bit of a wash
-A non-zero amount of UI drawbacks

May 30th can't come soon enough! :holy:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for taking the bullet, I will give it a watch after all then.

The last MK game I played the hell out of was Double Dash, never really jammed on the Wii or N64 one and didn't care for battle mode in the SNES one, so that main negative shouldn't affect me. Yay!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I don't want to see the whole layout before I play it myself but those clips of Bowser's Castle are fantastic.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Has anyone considered battle mode a success since Mario Kart 64? It seems to get changed with every game. Especially compared to the utterly unchanging Grand Prix and Versus modes.

Feels like they nailed battle in MK64, and if it had been continually refined since then it'd be outstanding by now. But no, it's completely redone each time.

Could just be nostalgia. Though I never had an N64 and I played most of my MK64 well after MK:DD! came out so I'm thinking not.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The one in MK:DS was pretty solid.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I've been able to enjoy pretty much every battle mode outside of the original SNES one (never played MKWii, either). They're all quite different from one another but I do think they each have their charm. Bob-Omb Blast from Double Dash is my personal favourite, but that might just be nostalgia like Pokeyman said.

The battle mode in MK8 does look like it's going to be a bit of a disappointment, though. I'm okay with the idea of making battle mode take place on regular tracks in theory but Nintendo didn't pick a track selection that really backs it up. Yoshi's Valley seems like the only track that really meshes well with this new battle mode.

If they had just put Baby Park in the game the new battle mode would've been perfect. :arghfist::(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Do we have an updated list of goons on Wii U? I've got no one on my friends list and it's in desperate need of being updated.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I would rather have had them put in Mario Kart 64's exact battle mode with the same courses online instead of the terrible sounding battle we are getting.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

You can't use the gamepad screen as a "split" screen even when just racing with 2 players. That's pretty poor. Nintendo isn't doing a great job of proving the gamepad's worth.

Fortunately everything else about the game sounds great. What a dumb omission, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nevett posted:

You can't use the gamepad screen as a "split" screen even when just racing with 2 players. That's pretty poor. Nintendo isn't doing a great job of proving the gamepad's worth.

Fortunately everything else about the game sounds great. What a dumb omission, though.

Oh, what the gently caress. I thought that was part of the point of having the dumb thing in the first place. Man, I was assuming that feature was in there and was really looking forward to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Would you really wanna play this game with the Wii U gamepad as a screen? It'd be cluttered as gently caress.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

Would you really wanna play this game with the Wii U gamepad as a screen? It'd be cluttered as gently caress.

It's always going to be preferable to split-screen, yes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
With all the whining about blue shells in WKWii, it seems there will be even more whining about lack of defensive options in MK8.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endorph posted:

It works really well in Sonic Transformed. Especially if you can position that player so they can't see the TV, finally an element of privacy in multiplayer console games!

Looks like they've dropped the ball with the gamepad support on this one, so many better options than having it just display a horn button throughout as default. I'm definitely a 'pro gamepad' person too, and think anyone who moans about it, even with it being a big part of the cost of the console, is mad.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

With all the whining about blue shells in WKWii, it seems there will be even more whining about lack of defensive options in MK8.
... they've added a whole new defensive option to MK8 in the form of that new horn item, though?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

... they've added a whole new defensive option to MK8 in the form of that new horn item, though?

It rarely drops. You can't base anything on just hoping for a windfall.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

The Taint Reaper posted:

It rarely drops. You can't base anything on just hoping for a windfall.

Isn't that one of the major tenants of the Mario Kart series?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Blue shells are incredibly rare in Mario Kart 8 from what I've heard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Webbeh posted:

No Items. Daisy Only. Moo Moo Meadows.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The amount of detail, care, and love put into this game is AMAZING, I really need a get a WiiU now. This is what an HD Game is supposed to look like.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Webbeh posted:

Real winners cover themselves in banana peels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Yeah, but since you can't get new items while you have an item out behind you as a shield, Triple Red Shells are actually stronger than Blue Shells now, if the person with them can get up to 2nd place.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Kirios posted:

Do we have an updated list of goons on Wii U? I've got no one on my friends list and it's in desperate need of being updated.

I'm CptYesterdaySA.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm SiftRock so add me if you want

You remember how Tomadachi Life recently had it's bad press? Let's try to start something with Mario Kart!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JordanKai posted:

Whoever told you this is probably lying. It's Mario Kart for godssakes!

I'm really not sure how to feel about claims that this is the "best mario kart ever" when it apparently doesn't even have proper Battle Mode tracks :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Eh I don't really disagree with her. And she kind only mentions it real quick at the end and specifically says "otherwise besides these few things the game is awesome". I was just thinking about this the other day too. Mario, Luigi and Peach are all white (although Mario & Luigi are italian so there's that) and it's probably a bit too late to go back and tweak their designs so they aren't all white. But you have like a billion toads and there's no real reason you can't have say a black toad as one of the racers. All the other characters in the mario universe are basically various animals and monsters so throw in some black toads. I don't think anyone (sane, this is the internet) is asking for them to go back and change Mario to be black, but there's new characters added all the time so it wouldn't be a huge thing to add in a black character (or whatever race)

But like I said it's something she quickly mentions and then says the game is still very good.

People sure are mad about what she said though:

quote:

"When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white. "

Are you loving retarded or just new to video games in general?

Why in the holy hell would Nintendo just suddenly turn Mario or any other characters into a gay atheist black rape victim because of your dumb as gently caress SJW views?

Holy poo poo, this whole review is a mess.

Like holy poo poo dude :stare:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's a random game to make the case in, I feel like it would be a good article about the Mario franchise as a whole, but you could put that paragraph in a review of Mario 3D World or Smash Bros as well. MK8 does let you play as a Mii, right? So that's an option at least.

I'm looking forward to racing against people's terribly designed Miis.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

Eh I don't really disagree with her. And she kind only mentions it real quick at the end and specifically says "otherwise besides these few things the game is awesome". I was just thinking about this the other day too. Mario, Luigi and Peach are all white (although Mario & Luigi are italian so there's that) and it's probably a bit too late to go back and tweak their designs so they aren't all white. But you have like a billion toads and there's no real reason you can't have say a black toad as one of the racers. All the other characters in the mario universe are basically various animals and monsters so throw in some black toads. I don't think anyone (sane, this is the internet) is asking for them to go back and change Mario to be black, but there's new characters added all the time so it wouldn't be a huge thing to add in a black character (or whatever race)

But like I said it's something she quickly mentions and then says the game is still very good.

People sure are mad about what she said though:

Like holy poo poo dude :stare:

Yeah the comments are certainly a thing :stare: I didn't even really notice them.

But I just find it real dumb to bring up in Mario of all things, especially Mario Kart when Toad and Toadette aren't even humans... in fact I think they've said in games in the past they would never have a different skintone and the caps on their heads are what tell them apart.

Also half the racers are shy guys/dk/turtle monsters etc so it's not a whitewashed cast either (especially considering you can be a mii), it's a negative on the scale for the sake of controversy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but since you can't get new items while you have an item out behind you as a shield, Triple Red Shells are actually stronger than Blue Shells now, if the person with them can get up to 2nd place.

Where did you read/see this? Not being able to grab new items while dragging items really does change defense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Where did you read/see this? Not being able to grab new items while dragging items really does change defense.
the gamexplain review says that, and has video of it in action. The item doesn't count as 'used' until you actually toss it, so holding it out behind you is the same as if you'd never hit a button at all. You can't grab new items.

And eh, Nintendo introduces new human characters arbitrarily anyway, there could be a random black dude in there if they wanted. It'd feel kinda token, but at the same time it wouldn't really hurt anything.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
One of Bowser's kids is black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like the last thing you want done in the name of social progress is have a Japanese company design a black character.

• Locked thread