Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Just make Waluigi black and give no explanation for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like the last thing you want done in the name of social progress is have a Japanese company design a black character.
Iunno, Basilio from FE13 is pretty awesome.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

My NNID is SFGray if people are looking for future Kart racing fun.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Just make Waluigi black and give no explanation for it.

And have the Saints Row team make a game starring him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And have the Saints Row team make a game starring him.

Still waiting for the kid friendly version of Saints Row/GTA starring Waluigi and Wario set in the Mushroom Kingdom

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I didn't realize how much I wanted that game until now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Macaluso posted:

Still waiting for the kid friendly version of Saints Row/GTA starring Waluigi and Wario set in the Mushroom Kingdom

Mario power ups in a kid friendly GTA would be hilarious. Imagine Toads barreling down the road after you firing shells or fireballs. Right before it hits, a fleeing raccoon tailed Waluigi flies away.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd pay good money to play GTA: Mushroom Kingdom.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Need I remind you all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27ZsrQ_wFE

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

pokeyman posted:

Has anyone considered battle mode a success since Mario Kart 64?

Dude, Double Dash's Bob-Omb Blast was super tight.

Kirios posted:

Do we have an updated list of goons on Wii U? I've got no one on my friends list and it's in desperate need of being updated.

It may be worth it to create either a new NNID thread or just a brand new Wii U discussion thread, since neither of those threads get their OPs updated (I'd imagine the former has gone to archives at this point, anyway). For the time being, though, my NNID's Ultigonio.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Uh, theres at least twice the koopakin in mariokart 8 as other games. I don't see any other games supporting such diversity.

Also birdo is transgendered.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also birdo is transgendered.

Also not in Mario Kart 8, along with Bowser Jr. and Diddy. R.I.P.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011
Well if Nintendo's good about DLC as they mostly are with stuff like Mario Golf, maybe other battle modes or characters would be part of some DLC later. Anyway my NNID is Symptom, can't wait to see how bad I'll be in 8.

symptom fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 15, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but since you can't get new items while you have an item out behind you as a shield, Triple Red Shells are actually stronger than Blue Shells now, if the person with them can get up to 2nd place.
On the other hand apparently you can dodge red shells now (and/or they're nerfed a bit) according to the Ars review:

quote:

Red shells are also easier to escape this time around; a quick power slide dash or zig zag pattern is often enough to lose their slow-moving homing signal when it appears on your tail.
So I guess in lieu of holding extra defensive items they've made evasive maneuvers a thing. Which reminded me of something else, was the banana recovery thing in the last few games? I think it was introduced in the GBA one but completely forgot if the later ones kept it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Endorph posted:

Iunno, Basilio from FE13 is pretty awesome.

"FATE CAN KISS MY SWEET BROWN ARSE"

-Basilio, first Black Fire Emblem Guy

(Devdan doesn't count)

Also I'm a bit disappointed Mount Wario doesn't have more...Wario on it. Like, pictures of him, statues of him, other Wario style things.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

:hfive:
That's my favourite battle mode easily, making bob-ombs the only item and letting you carry a poo poo ton made it more about skill, plus it ran at 60fps in four player mode which Nintendo still hasn't managed to pull off again

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

japtor posted:

Which reminded me of something else, was the banana recovery thing in the last few games? I think it was introduced in the GBA one but completely forgot if the later ones kept it.

That was also in MK64, it was pretty handy, always wondered why it got axed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ultigonio posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about that. MK64 plus Bob-omb Blast then.

(Would quote the earlier mention of Bob-omb blast but I can't be bothered. You're also right.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Most GameStops are getting an in-store demo this weekend if anyone wants to try it early.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Mount Wario has some really incredible tunes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

.TakaM posted:

:hfive:
That's my favourite battle mode easily, making bob-ombs the only item and letting you carry a poo poo ton made it more about skill, plus it ran at 60fps in four player mode which Nintendo still hasn't managed to pull off again
8 player bob-omb blast on the GameCube level was hilarious, matches could end in seconds.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
GiantBomb's got a review up, fairly positive.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/mario-kart-8-review/1900-639/

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
The Giant Bomb review confirms my worst fears for Battle Mode. I remember reading in previews that the battle arenas were repurposed "regular" courses, but I held out hope that they would be substantially worked as MK battle-appropriate arenas, and it was just the visual theming that was re-used. What they ended up doing here just sounds like they were running out of time and budget to install a real battle mode.

I'll still super psyched for this game and will enjoy the hell out of it for untold hours, but this is unfortunate. I guess we can hold out hope for a battle dlc update, though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I'll still super psyched for this game and will enjoy the hell out of it for untold hours, but this is unfortunate. I guess we can hold out hope for a battle dlc update, though.

I really hope this game can do DLC and they add real/classic battle maps at some point. Block Fort or Double Decker in HD would be great.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I was pretty sure I was getting this sometime, but hearing that it's good and the free game offer has pretty much guaranteed a day one purchase.

I'm AgentHaste if anyone wanted another Nintendo Friend, I'll be adding everyone who's posted their ID so far.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Oh true, my Nintendo Network ID is:
TakaM-NZ
I'll add every NNID posted to this thread, you can expect to see me playing MK8 a lot and the new Smash when it comes out

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is anyone buying a Wii U for this game?
Done and done. Bought the Mario/Luigi digital deluxe bundle, MK8 pre-ordered, got Child of Light from the e-shop, and picked up a NIB copy of Ninja Gaiden 3 for 14 bucks on ebay cause the first NG for Xbox was one of my favorite console games of all time.

Still haven't actually played the Wii U due to League of Legends and Project 1999 eating all of my gaming time though!

NNID: DatGr0ut

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
In a cast of Italians and fungus, they ask for diversity? What's the world comin' to, I ask ya. They even got babies, c'mon, BABIES.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

In a cast of Italians and fungus, they ask for diversity? What's the world comin' to, I ask ya. They even got babies, c'mon, BABIES.

Don't forget turtles and a gorilla!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'll add all of you when I get off of work today....but for now, my NNID is Kirios86

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gray Matter posted:

Done and done. Bought the Mario/Luigi digital deluxe bundle, MK8 pre-ordered, got Child of Light from the e-shop, and picked up a NIB copy of Ninja Gaiden 3 for 14 bucks on ebay cause the first NG for Xbox was one of my favorite console games of all time.

Still haven't actually played the Wii U due to League of Legends and Project 1999 eating all of my gaming time though!

NNID: DatGr0ut

Make sure you get 3D World and Tropical Freeze too. Those games are sweet like candy (play NSMBU before 3D World cause you won't be able to go back)

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I am looking forward to playing online multiplayer Nintendo Wii U games with goons!

I will add everyone because I have no friends.

NNID: TheManticore

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:siren:GOON LIST:siren:

So, seeing as we're all going to want to play with each other on launch we're all going to need one another's Nintendo Network IDs. In order to keep the thread from getting cluttered, I decided to make a Google form for it. Here it is! If you guys think I should add anything else to the form feel free to say so!

Here's the spreadsheet with all the sign-ups. Let's see if we can get a 64-man goonvitional tournament going on Day 1! :rice:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 17, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dumb question: where do I find my friend code?

E: nevermind. I figured it out. Duh.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 17, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Waltzing Along posted:

Dumb question: where do I find my friend code?

I think by friend code he means your Nintendo ID, your account's name

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kurtofan posted:

I think by friend code he means your Nintendo ID, your account's name

Yes I did. Woops! :downs:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Played the game today. There's so much detail in the courses. Electrodome is my favorite of what I played because it's basically an F-Zero track.

I also noticed that inside drifting is back for the sportier looking bikes. No wheelies though.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

My Nintendo Network ID (NNID) is: knomess

let's do some racing on the 30th, shall we?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Way to read the thread, especially posts just a few above yours. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JordanKai posted:

:siren:GOON LIST:siren:

So, seeing as we're all going to want to play with each other on launch we're all going to need one another's Nintendo Network IDs. In order to keep the thread from getting cluttered, I decided to make a Google form for it. Here it is! If you guys think I should add anything else to the form feel free to say so!

Here's the spreadsheet with all the sign-ups. Let's see if we can get a 64-man goonvitional tournament going on Day 1! :rice:
Related to this, video showing the tourney settings/options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWn0FD_M5_o

I'm thinking it might be able to be set up like the MK7 communities (...but hopefully actually working better) where we can play goons with just the single tournament code.

• Locked thread