Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cimber posted:

One last thing before we go back to modern civil war. When I lived in Florida a few years back I was driving home late one night and was listening to AM radio. They had a few 'scholars' on talking about the war, and more than one person called in and referred to it as "the War of Northern Aggression." Very very weird.

That's the standard old timer phrase in the south. Or the War Between the States if you're feeling diplomatic.

What's weird is the same people who not a decade ago shouted every chance they got about how Lincoln was a treasonous rapist bastard now parrot the Party of Lincoln™ line without a second thought. Same people who also called MLK a womanizing commie plagiarist back then and now refer to him as the Ur-Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

comes along bort posted:

That's the standard old timer phrase in the south. Or the War Between the States if you're feeling diplomatic.

What's weird is the same people who not a decade ago shouted every chance they got about how Lincoln was a treasonous rapist bastard now parrot the Party of Lincoln™ line without a second thought. Same people who also called MLK a womanizing commie plagiarist back then and now refer to him as the Ur-Republican.

There's no "back then." They say any and all of those lines depending on context. Consistency has nothing to do with it. c.f. the freeper thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

comes along bort posted:

We have always been at war with Eurasia and all that.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
It hasn't been that long, honestly. Hell I'll turn 30 this year and I had a great-grandfather that fought in the Civil war. 2014 and only three generations later.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

There's no "back then." They say any and all of those lines depending on context. Consistency has nothing to do with it. c.f. the freeper thread.

Nah, nobody said good things about either guy in polite company until very recently.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Nah, nobody said good things about either guy in polite company until very recently.
This reminds me of the story from Molly Ivins about the first UT black football player, and how when he was tackled a fan shouted, "Ref get that n-word off our colored boy!" Progress, of a sort.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

Kinda checked out from US politics for awhile, sad to see that the state of the union is completely depressing. Especially depressing to catch up on Scotus blog, as it seems most of the decisions coming out these days translate into more money = better than. Even with Sibellius, where the Business owners are getting up in arms because they cannot (hopefully - fingers crossed Kennedy) force their employees to live under the same tenants of faith as they do, like some feudal lord getting up in arms because the field hands dare believe that transubstantiation is rather silly.

I was going to try and dial back on the booze this May, but I'm feeling kinda grim now. Suggesting Laphroaig of pretty much any vintage, as the smokey burn going down compliments any foul mood rather well.

In happier news, gonna check out the Shelby Foote trilogy. I read Grant's Memoirs awhile back and really enjoyed them, and it would be interesting to read a history of the war from a slightly shifted perspective. As far as the "war of northern aggression" goes, its not an uncommon thought at all. I know a bunch of folks out in Western VA who take that line, which is doubly funny because Western VA split off from VA following VA's initial vote to secede from the Union.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Radish posted:

Ding ding ding. No one (on either side of the debate) is fooled by the transparent attempts to made abortion illegal again but I guess the pro-life side has to maintain the charade for the eventual SCOTUS case so Roberts can claim that "no one would think that making abortion impossible to get would make it de facto illegal so it's totally ok!"
I really, really hope one of the conservatives on the bench dies before abortion goes up to the Supreme Court again.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I really, really hope one of the conservatives on the bench dies before abortion goes up to the Supreme Court again.

"Didn't you guys hear? Misogyny is dead thanks to Hillary Clinton becoming president. Therefore, we no longer need to protect women's rights."

Damned Roberts.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's funny how conservatism went from being a semi-intellectual movement into being just a loving hot gooey mess of contradictions and insanity. I mean, gently caress, when their thinkers are making William Buckley look good ... well, that says it all. There are literally no actual intellectual conservatives anymore, not a single one, who actually has any kind of influence on the GOP or Conservatism writ large.

Not that the "left" in America has a lot of great thinkers who are in the public sphere influencing policy, but it's better than having raving lunatics actively running the agenda.

[edit]People aren't things.

BUSH 2112 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 7, 2014

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Pretty idiotic to think a state can't rescind an application for a constitutional convention.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

There's nothing wrong with the current U.S. Constitution that can't be corrected by the loss of two conservative Justices and the appointment of three new progressive Justices: I'm looking at you Ginsburg; because of her age, not her politics.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Fried Chicken posted:

Net Neutrality: It’s dead.

This doesn't reflect the discussion in the net neutrality thread. Not trying to have the argument here beyond pointing out that it exists. In so far as news goes, the next big item will be the FCC vote on May 15 regarding a notice of proposed rulemaking.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Welp, a federal judge just closed down the John Doe investigation into Scott Walker

quote:

In his ruling, Randa sided with Wisconsin Club for Growth and its director, Eric O'Keefe, who argued that the "John Doe" investigation had "devastated" the group's ability to fundraise and engage in issue advocacy, and had limited it and other conservative group's participation in the 2014 election cycle. In his ruling for the conservative group, Randa cited several Supreme Court cases, including the recent McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, to say that issue advocacy speech can only be viewed one way -- as "protected First Amendment speech" -- and to cast doubts on the government's right to regulate it.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/judge-shuts-down-wisconsin-john-doe

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
When ever you guys are pissed/upset/sad about the current state of America just remember one thing. There are people out there orders of magnitudes more upset on right just because Obama is president. Just remember to mix their misery with your favorite alcohol for maximum effect.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

When ever you guys are pissed/upset/sad about the current state of America just remember one thing. There are people out there orders of magnitudes more upset on right just because Obama is president. Just remember to mix their misery with your favorite alcohol for maximum effect.

To that end the latest outrage over internet stupidity is a failed attempt at rallying college republicans through the clever use of twitter hashtags

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/07/after-fox-interviews-offended-student-twitter-conservatives-rage-at-myliberalcampus/

quote:

Conservatives on Twitter are outraged by an interview in which the co-chair of the University of California, Santa Barbara’s chapter of the College Republicans claimed that a professor mocked Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) last semester.

Alice Gilbert told Fox News that her professor, Otis Madison, “warned Ted Cruz-supporting ‘teabaggers’ to get the hell out of his classroom before he sent them home to their mother in a body bag.”

“When Professor Madison made his comments in the very first lecture,” she said, “I was taken aback and offended.” She did not, however, report Madison’s comment to the university at the time. “He did not target me by name, so I did not feel that there was a lot the school could do based on a student just being offended by something said in class.”

Gilbert told her story to Fox News as part of a Twitter-based “hashtag campaign” called #MyLiberalCampus, which encourages conservative students to post anecdotal evidence that their conservative beliefs have been slyly belittled — if not outright mocked — by faculty on their liberal campuses.

So some dumb white girl has her jimmies all in a rustle by an exchange which obviously happened and was in no way made up, and takes to the only outlet through which she can adequately express her angst. The internet being the internet, the inevitable followed:

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
How do there still exist people who pay even a cursory level of attention to current events and can't tell Republicans are the problem? I'm not talking about the twisted hate-golems that make up the actual right wing base, I mean just regular-rear end well-meaning folks who fret about how dysfunctional everything is and believe the truth is in the middle somewhere. I just really can't believe anyone who isn't fully invested in the right-wing worldview can still at this point fail to recognize the reality they're living in.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

eviltastic posted:

This doesn't reflect the discussion in the net neutrality thread. Not trying to have the argument here beyond pointing out that it exists. In so far as news goes, the next big item will be the FCC vote on May 15 regarding a notice of proposed rulemaking.
I'll skim that thread, my comment was more a reflection of the fact it has been de facto dead for a while and the FCC was just de jure, and the issues Lease3 is having and what that means for equal access.

BUSH 2112 posted:

It's funny how conservatism went from being a semi-intellectual movement into being just a loving hot gooey mess of contradictions and insanity. I mean, gently caress, when their thinkers are making William Buckley look good ... well, that says it all. There are literally no actual intellectual conservatives anymore, not a single one, who actually has any kind of influence on the GOP or Conservatism writ large.

Not that the "left" in America has a lot of great thinkers who are in the public sphere influencing policy, but it's better than having raving lunatics actively running the agenda.
Yeah, the left has gotten very intellectually sloppy over the past few years. Some of it is that they don't have the funding to focus on policy as heavily, but a lot of it is the batshittery on the right means that liberals don't have to put much thought into rebutting things. It leads to very sloppy and factually vacant arguments like on drones or using the buffet rule to fund things or switching to a methane energy economy.

DynamicSloth posted:

Pretty idiotic to think a state can't rescind an application for a constitutional convention.

Particularly since that is how these same people would argue the ERA is dead.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bunleigh posted:

How do there still exist people who pay even a cursory level of attention to current events and can't tell Republicans are the problem? I'm not talking about the twisted hate-golems that make up the actual right wing base, I mean just regular-rear end well-meaning folks who fret about how dysfunctional everything is and believe the truth is in the middle somewhere. I just really can't believe anyone who isn't fully invested in the right-wing worldview can still at this point fail to recognize the reality they're living in.

Because they believe their sports team can do nothing wrong and therefore the other team bad.

That twitter owns hahahahahahaha.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Bunleigh posted:

Because most people are too busy living their lives to pay a cursory level of attention to things far away that don't directly impact them, and marketing works

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Bunleigh posted:

In my own experience it's that when already emotionally drained people hear about the poo poo going on behind the soundbites, they get really uncomfortable. My wife for instance, gets actively angry at me for talking about politics when I point out things that shatter the Just World view. Believing in a Just World is comforting and simple. Seeing that it's all a horrible lie hurts far too badly, so they just wave it off and listen to the talking heads. "If I don't hear it, it doesn't exist and I can get up and keep going the next day".

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is the trend towards pessimism/nihilism a new development in politics? The top three politics threads in D&D as I type this are all some variation of "abandon all hope". What's the historical precedent for wide-ranging dissatisfaction with politics, and what happened to change it?

Please don't tell me that it's always been this way and I'm only now old enough to notice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grundulum posted:

Is the trend towards pessimism/nihilism a new development in politics? The top three politics threads in D&D as I type this are all some variation of "abandon all hope". What's the historical precedent for wide-ranging dissatisfaction with politics, and what happened to change it?

Please don't tell me that it's always been this way and I'm only now old enough to notice.
Bad economic times and a weaker sense of community nowadays than back during the Great Depression. Keep in mind too that SA is itself kind of a self-selected herd.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bunleigh posted:

Check into this very forum on any debate about drone strikes, the death penalty, austerity, welfare etc. You don't have to be a Republican to be stupid and vindictive.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Talmonis posted:

In my own experience it's that when already emotionally drained people hear about the poo poo going on behind the soundbites, they get really uncomfortable. My wife for instance, gets actively angry at me for talking about politics when I point out things that shatter the Just World view. Believing in a Just World is comforting and simple. Seeing that it's all a horrible lie hurts far too badly, so they just wave it off and listen to the talking heads. "If I don't hear it, it doesn't exist and I can get up and keep going the next day".

I don't understand why people find the idea of Just World being a fallacy so soul-crushing. The world sucks and is a lovely place and god damnit it is up to us to fight to make it a better one. JWF is not a happy thought, but it's a damned compelling reason to go out and fight the good fight, not to hide in a hole and pray to Republican Jesus to make all the dirty poors go away instead of loving helping each other out and trying to help humanity be a little better off.

Grundulum posted:

Thread mood seems to bounce between 'DING DONG THE REPUBLICANS ARE DYING REJOICE' and 'we are completely, inexorably hosed.' With any luck, someone will find and crush the phylacteries of Justices Scalia and Roberts and we'll get a Supreme Court that doesn't feel largely controlled by lackies of the Koch Brothers. Congress is going to keep being dysfunctional until 2020 at the minimum, but the Dems will probably keep the POTUS on lockdown for the next decade so we're not going to have completely bugfuck crazy legislature going through. Meanwhile, hopefully popular support for things like a minimum wage that doesn't require you to have 4 jobs will keep building to the point that in a decade or so we get some poo poo done.

I'm not super hopeful, we'll probably keep limping along, but I'm also not completely despairing :shrug:

More drinkchat - scotch and coke works really well if you want something less harsh but still scotch-y. My roommate loves them and they're pretty good

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 7, 2014

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ever since the beginning of the recession I've noticed a souring in relation to politics amongst the people I know. For the republicans that didn't change much just meant they got angrier, for the democrats they got all nihilistic about nothing ever changing and even the people who pay little to no attention now get depressed by politics. That's anecdotal of course but it's just how I've noticed people reacting.

Also on drink chat, Talisker is a really nice scotch. It's like drinking a camp fire.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Grundulum posted:

What's the historical precedent for wide-ranging dissatisfaction with politics, and what happened to change it?

Barack Hussein Obama

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Because most people are too busy living their lives to pay a cursory level of attention to things far away that don't directly impact them, and marketing works
See I think that idea might have passed muster in the 90s or even when things were still relatively okay in the Bush years before the crash but now it seems inescapable.

SedanChair posted:

Check into this very forum on any debate about drone strikes, the death penalty, austerity, welfare etc. You don't have to be a Republican to be stupid and vindictive.
I'm not talking about vindictive people. I've known people who will know about the crazy poo poo Michelle Bachmann says, for example, and talk about how awful and crazy she is, and bitch about the government shutdown and even correctly identify that Republicans did it, but then say they think Democrats do it too. I know a guy who basically has liberal views on every issue I've ever heard him bring up and doesn't seem wedded to any of the usual rightwing cargo cult beliefs about taxes/military/whatever but resists actually just deciding he's a liberal because Democrats must be just as bad as all the Republicans he complains about, even though he never actually has any examples. You can lead a horse to water, I guess.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bunleigh posted:

I think it's about checks and balances. You know, that phrase taught to children across the nation when learning about American government. That ideal balance between branches of power that keeps us from going over the edge. That's how it's taught, and we're raised to have unquestioning faith and belief in that concept.

Now, what most people don't remember from 8th grade American History is how elections have changed over the centuries, with the two-party system becoming ironclad and differences in ideologies no longer being a matter of nuanced and varied difference of opinion amongst individuals, but rather stark divisions between these two parties. The checks and balances system that we worship so much doesn't account for that.
So when the average, well-meaning folk hears "Republicans are the problem" they see that as a rejection of checks and balances, because with the average person's understanding of how our government works, an administration where one party controls all three branches has no checks and balances, because everyone's going to be working as one entity rather than three branches that keep each other in check. And this all applies just as well to "Democrats are the problem." It's not "both parties are equally bad." It's "neither party should be in charge of everything."

That, I believe, is the mindset of average well-meaning folks.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Magres posted:

More drinkchat - scotch and coke works really well if you want something less harsh but still scotch-y. My roommate loves them and they're pretty good

That'd require me to keep soda in the house, so instead I drink rusty nails.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 7, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Ted Cruz has released his report on 76 lawless actions by Obama, and yeah, they're as bullshit as you'd imagine

http://www.scribd.com/doc/222704929/Ted-Cruz-Legal-Limit-Report-4

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bunleigh posted:

See I think that idea might have passed muster in the 90s or even when things were still relatively okay in the Bush years before the crash but now it seems inescapable.

I'm not talking about vindictive people. I've known people who will know about the crazy poo poo Michelle Bachmann says, for example, and talk about how awful and crazy she is, and bitch about the government shutdown and even correctly identify that Republicans did it, but then say they think Democrats do it too. I know a guy who basically has liberal views on every issue I've ever heard him bring up and doesn't seem wedded to any of the usual rightwing cargo cult beliefs about taxes/military/whatever but resists actually just deciding he's a liberal because Democrats must be just as bad as all the Republicans he complains about, even though he never actually has any examples. You can lead a horse to water, I guess.

'The truth is in the middle' is a really, really lazy way to feel intellectually smug and superior whenever you talk politics. That's literally all that guy is doing, it's basically the hipsterism of politics - parties are too mainstream for me man.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Bunleigh posted:

Well I'll throw in my two cents growing up as the son of a registered tea party fox news watching ex-military/small business/gun owner and a bleeding heart liberal who hates the republicans and thinks we should remove the second amendment and censor media that "damages our society". I've watched the whole thing get more and more vicious and personal and partisan all my life.

I'm not saying that republicans aren't usually in the wrong or ignorant of the issues, as I have always voted democrat, but at the end of the day you can't ignore them and you can't disenfranchise roughly half the country. Like it or not there are a lot of them and in a democracy that's all that counts.

I wish I had a solution or saw some hope on the horizon but sometimes it feels like Ukraine with both sides calling each other fascists and rallying everyone to get angrier and never give in to those democrats/republicans/nazis. The greatest advantage America has is that even while we feel cheated or angry we haven't resorted to violence in the streets. Yet.

quote:

Also, yeah there are a lot of issues that should be more nuanced than breaking straight down party lines but we'll never address them when we can't even get on the same page with simple provable things like global warming.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 7, 2014

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Good Citizen posted:

Ted Cruz has released his report on 76 lawless actions by Obama, and yeah, they're as bullshit as you'd imagine

Citing Breitbart, the Daily Mail, and The Right Scoop :lol:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How about my chocolate-flavored whey/banana/peanut butter smoothy? It's pretty drat delicious. I don't think anyone has mentioned beer much, either. I like Deschutes Black Butte Porter. Nice, dark, and flavorful.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Good Citizen posted:

quote:

Allowed immigrants in the U.S. illegally, who are relatives of military troops and veterans, to stay in the country and get legal status.

This really seems like the kind of thing the Republican's should not be fighting Obama on, seems like a good way to piss of both minorities and the military

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

socialsecurity posted:

This really seems like the kind of thing the Republican's should not be fighting Obama on, seems like a good way to piss of both minorities and the military

It's not going to piss off anyone in the military that they care about, and GOP minority "outreach" has for quite a while been firmly set at tokenism and trying not to openly call for re-segregation too often. This is, predictably enough, just about riling up the base.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Magres posted:

:negative:

It's whiskey or even bourbon with coke. Scotch should be enjoyed with a splash of water at the most unless it's garbage scotch... which then begs the question why the gently caress aren't you drinking decent scotch.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Most of those things are just executive orders. Whatever happened to the party of "if the president does it, that means its not illegal"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

socialsecurity posted:

A lot of the things on that list are things that Republicans would definitely support if it was their idea. A lot of them are just straight up fabrications too, like the very first one about work waivers for TANF

• Locked thread