Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Is there some way to read reddit where the format isn't entirely a piece of poo poo?

I'm curious to see his responses but I really do not give a poo poo about the comments discussing the correct pluralization of acronyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mauser posted:

Is there some way to read reddit where the format isn't entirely a piece of poo poo?

I'm curious to see his responses but I really do not give a poo poo about the comments discussing the correct pluralization of acronyms.
https://pay.reddit.com/r/tabled/comments/24zqpl/table_iama_i_am_senator_bernie_sanders_ivt_ama/

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Jagchosis posted:

Probably hold John Kerry in contempt, because why the gently caress not. On the plus side their tough talking "prosecutor" heading the committee looks like a cross between Julian Assange and Pepe le Pew, so that's fun.

Tell me again, why didn't the Democrats do this to Bush regarding lies leading into the Iraq clusterfuck?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

sleepingbuddha posted:

Tell me again, why didn't the Democrats do this to Bush regarding lies leading into the Iraq clusterfuck?

Dems were on board with it for the most part and admitting you're wrong is hard. It also would have required acknowledging that the NYT was in the bag for the Bush administration leading up to the war. Most people probably just shudder thinking back on that time. There's a lot of really ugly truths that few of them really want to face.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Sure, they voted for it, but I'd be even more pissed to find out I voted for a war based on lies. The real problem is that the Democrats are way too drat conciliatory. Oh we don't want to set a precedent of impeaching the President, not like you guys did to our last one and will likely do to the current one.

It's time to take some notes from the opposition's playbook.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
The issue of race ocassionaly comes up in this thread, and some people have even suggested that from time to time, Republican politicians and their supporters might be motivated by racial prejudices.

Marco Rubio calls bullshit on that reasoning.

quote:

Sen. Marco Rubio reacted with indignation on Wednesday to comments by former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, who earlier this week explained his decision to switch parties from Republican to Democrat was fueled in part by racism within the GOP.

"I think it's ridiculous and silly," Rubio told Fox News host Neil Cavuto. "First of all, I'm even cautious to even dignify that with a serious response. My prediction is by the end of this election, even Democrats will be embarrassed that Charlie Crist became a Democrat."

The senator then said he has never witnessed any racism among his supporters.

"I've never met a single Republican activist involved in my campaign that has ever in my opinion ever been motivated by race to state their objections. I think it's absurd and quite frankly it's barely worthy of any sort of response.

Never? Never ever? I think it might be time for Mr. Rubio to be fitted for a hearing aid...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

McDowell posted:

As part of their skin-deep social concern; Yuppies are generally averse to any kind of action requiring hardship or sacrifice, which are necessary to prevent disaster in the long term.

I disagree, but then again maybe we have different definitions of what yuppie means here? I'm thinking the Hoboken crowd - whose jobs are certainly more challenging, require more intellectual investment and much longer hours than your typical retail or whatever position.

e Oh, my mistake if I misread. If its social issues only, I suppose, but I don't think anyone has a moral obligation to be concerned with anything, never mind anything that doesn't necessarily effect them. It might make you a bit of a bad person, but then again that's a wildly wide net to cast in the first place.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

richardfun posted:

The issue of race ocassionaly comes up in this thread, and some people have even suggested that from time to time, Republican politicians and their supporters might be motivated by racial prejudices.

Marco Rubio calls bullshit on that reasoning.

quote:

Sen. Marco Rubio reacted with indignation on Wednesday to comments by former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, who earlier this week explained his decision to switch parties from Republican to Democrat was fueled in part by racism within the GOP.

"I think it's ridiculous and silly," Rubio told Fox News host Neil Cavuto. "First of all, I'm even cautious to even dignify that with a serious response. My prediction is by the end of this election, even Democrats will be embarrassed that Charlie Crist became a Democrat."

The senator then said he has never witnessed any racism among his supporters.

"I've never met a single Republican activist involved in my campaign that has ever in my opinion ever been motivated by race to state their objections. I think it's absurd and quite frankly it's barely worthy of any sort of response.

Never? Never ever? I think it might be time for Mr. Rubio to be fitted for a hearing aid...

"Here are your winnings, sir."

Sen. Marco Rubio has seen racism in his party, but his job relies on him not seeing it.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Vis-a-vis the SCOTUS decision on Senatorial sectarian prayer, I was reminded that this happened several years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9To30Hz7A

Here's to hoping the SCOTUS decision leads to a lot more of it happening :getin:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

David Barton is as much of an intellectual as your angry grandfather is.

:thejoke:

That goes for every conservative 'intellectual' I can think of, but I did think his particular bullshit was particularly lovely.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Magres posted:

Some days you have Scotch on hand and don't want something with a bite.
This is also known as "being a pussy."

ErIog posted:

The AG is also not going to prosecute all their frivolous contempt votes.
I wouldn't be so sure about this. This isn't the same thing as Holder's contempt vote in 2012, where it was a civil contempt vote and Obama asserted executive privilege to moot it. This is a criminal contempt vote, and it would set a pretty bad precedent if DOJ simply refused to prosecute, no matter how frivolous the charges are. Imagine if, the next time we have a Republican president, a Democratic committee held an administration member in contempt for something actually serious, and they were able to just cite the instance in which Holder didn't prosecute Lerner.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is also known as "being a pussy."

I wouldn't be so sure about this. This isn't the same thing as Holder's contempt vote in 2012, where it was a civil contempt vote and Obama asserted executive privilege to moot it. This is a criminal contempt vote, and it would set a pretty bad precedent if DOJ simply refused to prosecute, no matter how frivolous the charges are. Imagine if, the next time we have a Republican president, a Democratic committee held an administration member in contempt for something actually serious, and they were able to just cite the instance in which Holder didn't prosecute Lerner.

That presents an interesting conundrum for the GOP. Holder announced he is retiring later this year. So they don't want to confirm the new AG because they don't want to confirm any Obama appointee, but they need an AG to go forward on their circus.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Don't know how this works exactly, but I would assume prosecutorial authority / discretion of that kind would transfer to an acting AG in the absence of a PAS AG, or maybe to the DAG or an AAG?

E: Here we go, 28 USC § 508 (a):

quote:

(a) In case of a vacancy in the office of Attorney General, or of his absence or disability, the Deputy Attorney General may exercise all the duties of that office, and for the purpose of section 3345 of title 5 the Deputy Attorney General is the first assistant to the Attorney General.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 8, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Well, they could just walk out of the chamber like petulant children.

Oh wait: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/15/washington/15contempt.html?hp

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
John Boehner has been watching too much House of Cards.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Bernie Sanders did an AMA on Reddit and the local population of crazies was shockingly well heeled. Maybe its just that Bernie magic:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/24zdnn/i_am_senator_bernie_sanders_ivt_ama/

Also got Lagavulin 16 for my birthday, its a good day.

Haha apparently he's been making the occasional post in their politics forum for the past month before this.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

hobbesmaster posted:

The Obama white house just needs to photocopy the statement from the Bush white house saying that they are protected from contempt of congress by executive privilege and give it to Boehner.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

Ahahaha there is so much in there, including this hidden gem:

quote:

House Republican leaders described the contempt vote as a political ploy that drew time away from what they described as a more important debate over extending a federal law to allow eavesdropping on domestic telephone calls and e-mail in pursuit of terrorists.

“We have space on the calendar today for a politically charged fishing expedition but not space for a bill that would protect the American people from terrorists who want to kill us,” said Representative John A. Boehner of Ohio, the Republican House leader.

So are the Republicans for or against White House authorized NSA wiretaps?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3a1hh1hHQ

Mysterious lights have been seen over Aleppo, Syria. Maybe the Martians can do us a solid.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's like someone stuck Bruce Campbell's face on Julian Assange, and then smashed his face in to a wall repeatedly. :stare:

Captain Kangaroo + older lesbian lady.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ahahaha there is so much in there, including this hidden gem:

So are the Republicans for or against White House authorized NSA wiretaps?

FBI / DHS wiretaps. Probably. (With technology and expertise borrowed from but Totally Not administered by the NSA.) The NSA's come suspiciously close to brazenly breaking their charter, but that'd be another step up that frankly they don't particularly need to take. Just authorize the domestically empowered enforcement agencies to have at it and call it a day.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dystram posted:

John Boehner has been watching too much House of Cards.
I do wonder sometimes if shows like that influence real politics, in the same way that shows like 24 apparently (terrifyingly) influence real law enforcement.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

in the same way that shows like 24 apparently (terrifyingly) influence real law enforcement.
Law enforcement hell, that show's been quoted by Supreme Court justices (three guesses as to which one, and the first two don't count).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

In a 60-36 decision, the public announced today that they think the Roberts Court is chasing a partisan or personal agenda rather than rendering impartial rulings on law

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5279535?utm_hp_ref=tw

I just have to wonder who the 36% are, those who see outliers from the GOP agenda like the ACA being upheld and say "well they don't always rule on partisan grounds, they must be impartial"?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Justus posted:

Vis-a-vis the SCOTUS decision on Senatorial sectarian prayer, I was reminded that this happened several years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9To30Hz7A

Here's to hoping the SCOTUS decision leads to a lot more of it happening :getin:

That poor guy

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I always find it hard to believe that Republicans are still trying to rehabilitate Nixon and cast the shame of Watergate onto Democrats. I don't think alot of people cate about what Nixon abs Reagan did. Hell when u bring up Reagan's treason it gets waved away as the cost of Empire.

Now let me tell you about how millenials are lazy and want something for nothing instead of hard work

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

I just have to wonder who the 36% are, those who see outliers from the GOP agenda like the ACA being upheld and say "well they don't always rule on partisan grounds, they must be impartial"?

The question is worded:

"Now I'm going to read a pair of statements. Please
tell me which of the following is closer to your point
of view, even if neither is exactly right."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

If you thought the Benghazi distraction was going to be enough you were mistaken. Now they are going to gear up after Clinton for being insufficiently aggressive against Boko Haram

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/blogs/politics/house-benghazi-committee-050814?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_57354298

Religious nutjobs against black women being educated are now something the GOP is opposed to, rather than their base

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

If you thought the Benghazi distraction was going to be enough you were mistaken. Now they are going to gear up after Clinton for being insufficiently aggressive against Boko Haram

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/blogs/politics/house-benghazi-committee-050814?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_57354298

Religious nutjobs against black women being educated are now something the GOP is opposed to, rather than their base
How exactly was Hillary supposed to "handle" a militant group in another country, which afaik made no direct or indirect threats to us?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

How exactly was Hillary supposed to "handle" a militant group in another country, which afaik made no direct or indirect threats to us?

Just more evidence that Islamic militants are not considered terrorists but law-abiding white Christian freedom lovers are by this Kenyan Marxist administration.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Samurai Sanders posted:

The same way Obama was supposed to prevent things from going nuts in Ukraine and Syria. Which is to say that there's nothing Hillary could have effectively done as SecState means precisely nothing to those making such accusations, it's just "BAD THING, HER FAULT!!!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Lois Lerner was held in criminal contempt of congress! :allears:

This is fantastic and hilarious, because if she refuses to comply, the procedure for the case gets really weird. She's due all the normal protections of the law as a criminal defendant- and there are doubts that the elements of a contempt charge could even be met.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Discendo Vox posted:

Lois Lerner was held in criminal contempt of congress! :allears:

This is fantastic and hilarious, because if she refuses to comply, the procedure for the case gets really weird. She's due all the normal protections of the law as a criminal defendant- and there are doubts that the elements of a contempt charge could even be met.

I feel like it's safe to say the GOP hosed up here. This isn't a rhetorical motion. This is actual law with real criteria to be met. And they don't have a goddam thing to back it up.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crain posted:

I feel like it's safe to say the GOP hosed up here. This isn't a rhetorical motion. This is actual law with real criteria to be met. And they don't have a goddam thing to back it up.

"Those LIEberals are using legal procedure to block our pursuit of justice!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crain posted:

They actually know what they're doing though. If it is indeed complete bullshit (it is) theres three options:
1. DoJ ignores it and does not impanel a grand jury
2. DoJ puts the joke of a case in front of a grand jury and it refuses to indict
3. DoJ gets a grand jury indictment and it goes to trial and they're found not guilty.

No matter the result they can claim that the justice department threw the case.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

In a 60-36 decision, the public announced today that they think the Roberts Court is chasing a partisan or personal agenda rather than rendering impartial rulings on law

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5279535?utm_hp_ref=tw

People who desperately want to believe that the Supreme Court is above partisan politics and is instead just being the impartial judges they swore to be (they never have been, but partisanship has become far more prevalent in the past 20 years). And yeah, probably some people who thought that the ACA stands out for its "impartiality", though gutting the commerce clause has been on the conservative bench's to-do list since the Rehnquist court, so I don't know that I would the ACA ruling up as a bastion of impartiality.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I do wonder sometimes if shows like that influence real politics, in the same way that shows like 24 apparently (terrifyingly) influence real law enforcement.

The West Wing inspired some members of the House of Commons in 2006.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Republicans actually get an image victory with all the members of the public for whom getting held in contempt of congress is proof of guilt, which is most of their base. I mostly think it's funny because the grand jury and other procedural stuff for contempt of congress is weird.

hobbesmaster posted:

They actually know what they're doing though. If it is indeed complete bullshit (it is) theres three options:
1. DoJ ignores it and does not impanel a grand jury
2. DoJ puts the joke of a case in front of a grand jury and it refuses to indict
3. DoJ gets a grand jury indictment and it goes to trial and they're found not guilty.

No matter the result they can claim that the justice department threw the case.
I agree, but it's very likely that the House Republicans threw the case by screwing up the procedure for it before DoJ even got involved. Stanley Brand, the former attorney for the House of Representatives, is usually the media talking head on contempt of congress proceedings. I know him and his work fairly well, and he's effectively the field expert on the area. The Democrats brought him in on this. This is before we even get into criminal procedure stuff- the standards for contempt of congress are differently framed, and it's great fun because the people making the charge usually have no idea how contempt of congress works! I'm excited about it as a legal nerd. I hope it gets to trial and (like in the past) they forget to Mirandize her or something. There's a lot of fun stuff that can happen when criminal laws are being enforced by legislators that don't actually know how they work.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
I was listening to C-SPAN this morning discussing the Nigerian kidnappings/Boko Haram issue there, and most callers were asking two questions:

1) "These are girls! Why haven't we intervened sooner!"

Well mostly because the Nigerian government has a pretty good idea where Boko Haram is hiding but they've decided not to do anything about it because the government is corrupt.

2) "Why hasn't Western media focused more attention on this?!"

Because nobody cares about Africa, CNN is still looking for flight 370 and it happened around the same time a ferry capsized near Korea. We care more about Korea than Nigeria.

And what burned me the most is the media correspondent (can't remember who) was basically saying "Well I'm disappointed the media didn't pick this up sooner but at least it's picked it up now and helped drum up support along with the Twitter hashtags." Oh, great, a month after the event took place when many of the girls have been scattered to the four winds, we start focusing on it.

I mean yeah better late than never but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The fuckers are flogging Vilerat's corpse for money

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/john-boehner-benghazi-fundraising-106493.html

• Locked thread