Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Considering how they've said they don't want any of the factions to be 'good' or 'evil', it's weird that the supremacy victory has you go back to earth to borg it by force, and the purity victory has you terraforming an apparently sentient planet into Earth 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Red Bones posted:

Considering how they've said they don't want any of the factions to be 'good' or 'evil', it's weird that the supremacy victory has you go back to earth to borg it by force, and the purity victory has you terraforming an apparently sentient planet into Earth 2.0.

To be fair, the supremacists have no reason not to think that they're doing earth a favor by borging it. After all, cyborgs don't give a poo poo about polluted oceans or smog. And the purity guys have no way of knowing that the plane is sentient; it's just another rock to them.

Harmony is objectively the best. Everyone knows this.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is the planet sentient? I thought that was SMAC, not BE?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Darkrenown posted:

Is the planet sentient? I thought that was SMAC, not BE?

Yeah I've read nothing that indicates this is going to be like Planet from SMAC

Edit: Oh yeah it's on the last page of that PC gamer bit, veeery end. Huh. So I guess we are having a more direct nod to SMAC for Harmony players at least :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 12, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like the idea of the three branches going a bit too far, that was also a theme in SMAC, in the little text blurps when Miriam was vehemently against nanites and sentient machines. The self-aware colony project especially was a dystopian future where AI's control and monitor every aspect of human life which goes very well with supremacy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Speaking of going too far, how about that Xeno Titan huh? Harmony gets to build Godzilla :haw:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Speaking of going too far, how about that Xeno Titan huh? Harmony gets to build Godzilla :haw:

If Supremacy or Purity don't get equivalent giant death robots so they can duke it out over the suburbs of Neo-Tokyo there will be hell to pay. :colbert:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Bloodly posted:

gently caress that. The whole reason we're doing this is because we killed our homeworld. We are responsible for that. It's time we stopped being human if that's what being human leads to.

Look at this loving nerd :jerkbag:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Chonchon posted:

Harmony is objectively the best. Everyone knows this.

Harmony had the prettiest boat concept art, ergo it is the superior faction in all aspects. if alien wildlife behaves like barbarians I'm guessing friendly alien wildlife won't try to attack my trade routes either, which is a big plus.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know about you but I'm either turning everyone into cyborgs or taming sandworms.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope this game is broken on release and they make us wait two years and charge us $40 for the final completion of the game through DLC.:allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Speedball posted:

I don't know about you but I'm either turning everyone into cyborgs or taming sandworms.

Pretty much. Purity is a boring path for boring people who make boring life choices :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty much. Purity is a boring path for boring people who make boring life choices :colbert:

Emphasis on people, cybermutant.

I really hope the late game goes at least as off the rails as SMAC, which managed to have you going "man, maybe Miriam had a point" at times.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If a man is tired of bigass guns, flying megafortresses, and spreading the glory of Terra across the cosmos, then he is tired of life.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Speedball posted:

Why not both?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Think of the rear end in a top hat things our dear leaders have pulled over the years to other humans and the planet. Can Purity assure that that level of crazy, that raw abuse of power to screw over EVERYTHING for their own short-term benefit cannot happen? It's a question for all the factions, really but Purity all the more since it hopes to preserve Humanity 'as is' rather than adapting.

I really hope that there is 'hope' in Beyond Earth. Dystopia is not something I'm particularly looking for in my gaming. I hope the three factions will be light, not dark.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Prav posted:

Emphasis on people, cybermutant.

I really hope the late game goes at least as off the rails as SMAC, which managed to have you going "man, maybe Miriam had a point" at times.
The tragic irony of SMAC is that because Miriam can only really win if she rushes everyone she comes across at the start of the game, she will either be dead or will have won the game already before the really horrible stuff like the Dream Twister, Singularity Inductor or the Bulk-Matter Transmitter becomes available which would vindicate her beliefs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Think of the rear end in a top hat things our dear leaders have pulled over the years to other humans and the planet. Can Purity assure that that level of crazy, that raw abuse of power to screw over EVERYTHING for their own short-term benefit cannot happen? It's a question for all the factions, really but Purity all the more since it hopes to preserve Humanity 'as is' rather than adapting.

I really hope that there is 'hope' in Beyond Earth. Dystopia is not something I'm particularly looking for in my gaming. I hope the three factions will be light, not dark.

You really can't have futurism without being SOMEBODY'S dystopia. The cyborg collective consciousness is one transhumanist's dream, another man's nightmare.

They've already talked about how the Supremacy ending involves you assimilating the poo poo out of the ruins of Earth so...yeah. There's gonna be dark.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To hell with traditionalist worriers, we build our own gods :science:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I want something better than the Self-Aware Colony. Sapient Internet. Yes, quite a lot of it is nonsensical so the thing talks like Freakazoid, but it's also the smartest being in the universe!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

quote:

Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are trampling the garden of an angry God and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

I really liked how as the game progressed, things got more and more disturbing, and the player begins to think "My God, Miriam was right!! :gonk:" I do hope that some of the dark atmosphere of SMAC is reimagined in BE, but I recall that in an interview they wanted a more positive outlook.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"You've turned the planet into Cybertron! Worse, it's Michael Bay Cybertron!!! AHHH!"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I really liked how as the game progressed, things got more and more disturbing, and the player begins to think "My God, Miriam was right!! :gonk:" I do hope that some of the dark atmosphere of SMAC is reimagined in BE, but I recall that in an interview they wanted a more positive outlook.

"Some civilians got in among the research subjects, and became so hysterical I felt compelled to have them all nerve-stapled..."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Speedball posted:

See, I'm hoping there will be just enough flexibility between the affinities for cyborg sandworms.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cyborg sandworms with huge guns, surely?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

You really can't have futurism without being SOMEBODY'S dystopia. The cyborg collective consciousness is one transhumanist's dream, another man's nightmare.

They've already talked about how the Supremacy ending involves you assimilating the poo poo out of the ruins of Earth so...yeah. There's gonna be dark.

Except for the small fact that they've repeatedly stated in interviews that Beyond Earth is going to be an optimistic look at the future, not a dystopian critique of transhumanism. One interview explicitly said that Supremacy is not evil robots taking over, it's humanity evolving past the need for organic bodies and becoming something better, something more.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Prav posted:

Cyborg sandworms with huge guns, surely?
I assumed that was a given.

Cythereal posted:

One interview explicitly said that Supremacy is not evil robots taking over, it's humanity evolving past the need for organic bodies and becoming something better, something more.

Another explicitly calls them Borg.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Except for the small fact that they've repeatedly stated in interviews that Beyond Earth is going to be an optimistic look at the future, not a dystopian critique of transhumanism. One interview explicitly said that Supremacy is not evil robots taking over, it's humanity evolving past the need for organic bodies and becoming something better, something more.

Will Miller posted:

The Purity and Supremacy victories are sort of two ends of the same coin. In the game, about halfway through... you re-establish contact from Earth. You kind of left it in a nebulous space; you're not really sure what happened. About that time, you've also researched the technology to build a warp gate. So for the Purity player, you build a warp gate and bring settlers from Earth to the new world, and you have to protect them, settle a certain number of them, find space for them. There's a territorial problem you have to work out, which obviously causes conflict. That's one of your real-life conflicts today—that's the Israeli/Palestinian conflict right there. The flipside of that is what we call the Emancipation victory. That's the Supremacy victory where you build the warp gate to send troops through it to conquer Earth. So you have to sacrifice a huge chunk of your army to feed the warp gate while you're protecting yourself and protecting it.

Source, although it's just a wiki-type website that's compiled a bunch of info on the game. It cites a bunch of interviews at the bottom of the page but doesn't say which quotes come from which ones.

I guess the friendly cyborg player would go for the first contact victory instead :shrug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Red Bones posted:

Source, although it's just a wiki-type website that's compiled a bunch of info on the game. It cites a bunch of interviews at the bottom of the page but doesn't say which quotes come from which ones.

I guess the friendly cyborg player would go for the first contact victory instead :shrug:

For an optimistic outlook that sounds pretty loving grim.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

For an optimistic outlook that sounds pretty loving grim.

It's not oppression, it is liberation. Liberation of mankind from weak flesh and into the shiny steel bosom of the machine.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Chonchon posted:

It's not oppression, it is liberation. Liberation of mankind from weak flesh and into the shiny steel bosom of the machine.
The Great Common Task requires that some must be sacrificed before the altar of Federov, with the knowledge that all who have died will live again.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Chonchon posted:

I for one welcome our robotic overlords.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Depending on what condition Earth is in when the Supremacists return, upgrading everyone's bodies into clouds of nanoparticles - something one interview said is the end state of that line of research - might genuinely be welcomed by the people as salvation. This victory condition has, note, been consistently referred to by the developers as the Liberation victory.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Depending on what condition Earth is in when the Supremacists return, upgrading everyone's bodies into clouds of nanoparticles - something one interview said is the end state of that line of research - might genuinely be welcomed by the people as salvation. This victory condition has, note, been consistently referred to by the developers as the Liberation victory.

Why can't I just go back to Earth with a Marshall Plan? :(

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Of course it's a liberation. You can trust us. We are here to help you.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Prav posted:

Of course it's a liberation. You can trust us. We are here to help you.

... I just noticed that the Skynet killbots have super-realistic teeth.

Why do killbots need realistic teeth? :gonk:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 12, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If earth's a polluted hellhole then yeah, becoming robots might actually be very preferable than swimming in moats of toxic goo and fighting off radscorpions and kicking zombies in the head.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

So you have to sacrifice a huge chunk of your army to feed the warp gate while you're protecting yourself and protecting it.

I don't understand why you'd have to sacrifice a part of your army. Does the warp gate run on soylent green?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

You're trying so hard it's adorable :shobon:

Why then, do they explicitly state that it's sending troops through the Warp Gate to conquer Earth? You are forcing a form of "salvation" on people just own up to it.

Even if Beyond Earth is more optimistic than SMAC (not a high bar), transhumanism is a non-starter for a lot of people. It will be dystopian no matter what you do so you might as well not wuss out from the harder questions.

Kurtofan posted:

I don't understand why you'd have to sacrifice a part of your army. Does the warp gate run on soylent green?

Feed the gate as in send troops through to pacify Earth, by force, during which they will be unavailable to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh :shobon:

• Locked thread