Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

President Ark posted:

... I just noticed that the Skynet killbots have super-realistic teeth.

Why do killbots need realistic teeth? :gonk:

Half of them at that time were infiltrator units or something like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

President Ark posted:

I imagine it's because when they're covered in fake skin to look like Austrian bodybuilders, metal teeth would give the disguise away.

e:f,b

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

President Ark posted:

All the better to eat you with, my dear. :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're trying so hard it's adorable :shobon:

If Earth is the cradle of the mind, then might organic bodies be merely the cradle of the soul?

quote:

Why then, do they explicitly state that it's sending troops through the Warp Gate to conquer Earth? You are forcing a form of "salvation" on people just own up to it.

Suppose Earth is in a state of total ecological collapse and humanity has been reduced to mutated techno-barbarism. A post-apocalyptic setting where the bad guys have won, making an already bleak world worse still for the remnants of humanity. Then a warpgate opens and the prodigals return. They have changed since they left for a better world, found freedoms you in your squalid misery can barely understand. Freedom from your petty oppressors. Freedom from hunger and thirst. Freedom from the merciless whims of a dying planet. Freedom from the tired demands of flesh and bone.

I don't know about you, but I'd welcome the lost children of Earth as saviors.

quote:

Even if Beyond Earth is more optimistic than SMAC (not a high bar), transhumanism is a non-starter for a lot of people. It will be dystopian no matter what you do so you might as well not wuss out from the harder questions.

Why does it have to be dystopian? What if the future genuinely will be better?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

If Earth is the cradle of the mind, then might organic bodies be merely the cradle of the soul?

Suppose Earth is in a state of total ecological collapse and humanity has been reduced to mutated techno-barbarism. A post-apocalyptic setting where the bad guys have won, making an already bleak world worse still for the remnants of humanity. Then a warpgate opens and the prodigals return. They have changed since they left for a better world, found freedoms you in your squalid misery can barely understand. Freedom from your petty oppressors. Freedom from hunger and thirst. Freedom from the merciless whims of a dying planet. Freedom from the tired demands of flesh and bone.

Why does it have to be dystopian? What if the future genuinely will be better?

Nothing is better for everyone. I literally just covered this in the post you quoted.

"transhumanism is a non-starter for a lot of people"

Ergo, anything that involves transhumanism (2/3rds of the affinities) is dystopian to the viewpoint of some people. People are fundamentally not rational actors and it doesn't matter how much "better" the Borg State is on paper. There will be resistance to transformation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nothing is better for everyone. I literally just covered this in the post you quoted.

Ergo, anything that involves transhumanism (2/3rds of the affinities) is dystopian to the viewpoint of some people.

I don't believe that. I hope that the future will be better, and that transhumanism will mean leaving behind some of the worst parts of mankind.

Yes, two of the three affinities will reject the path of Supremacy, but that's not what I'm arguing. I am arguing that the Liberation victory could be exactly that: the prodigal sons and daughters of Earth returning to liberate and uplift humanity into a better tomorrow.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I don't believe that. I hope that the future will be better, and that transhumanism will mean leaving behind some of the worst parts of mankind.

Yes, two of the three affinities will reject the path of Supremacy, but that's not what I'm arguing. I am arguing that the Liberation victory could be exactly that: the prodigal sons and daughters of Earth returning to liberate and uplift humanity into a better tomorrow.

You are either not reading or not comprehending and I'm not sure which it is. Some will accept liberation. Many won't. We can't even get people to get behind Universal Healthcare in America and that's something that's tested, put into action, and objectively superior to the current system by every measurable metric. You think being upgraded won't have to be done by force in the case of, I'll be extremely generous, lets say 50% of humanity?

Truth has never had anything to do with persuasion. The Borg State can be as objectively superior as it wants and the only plausible outcome of a return to Earth is still conquest :v:

Religious reasons, philosophical reasons, you name it, the average person has cause to violently resist sweeping change to the fundamental human condition.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cythereal all your posts read like terror robot propaganda, fyi.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ergo, anything that involves transhumanism (2/3rds of the affinities) is dystopian to the viewpoint of some people. People are fundamentally not rational actors and it doesn't matter how much "better" the Borg State is on paper. There will be resistance to transformation.

If i recall correctly, the intention for the victory conditions of the game is to mark a 'next stage of humanity' event
Just about anything that isn't the standard 'kill all the motherfuckers' or score victory is probably going to end up looking like some sort of transhumanist playground. Even Purity is supposedly going to involve genetic engineering to become 'purer' humans without stuff like illness or disability or who knows where their going with is
The impression I get from the panel video I watched around the time of the original announcement is that the team wants to focus on the positive aspects of these possibilities and paint things in a positive light rather then play into the usual dystopian concerns.

We'll see if they actually succeed at that, I guess!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

You are either not reading or not comprehending and I'm not sure which it is. Some will accept liberation. Many won't. We can't even get people to get behind Universal Healthcare in America and that's something that's tested, put into action, and objectively superior to the current system by every measurable metric. You think being upgraded won't have to be done by force in the case of, I'll be extremely generous, lets say 50% of humanity?

Truth has never had anything to do with persuasion. The Borg State can be as objectively superior as it wants and the only plausible outcome of a return to Earth is still conquest :v:

Religious reasons, philosophical reasons, you name it, the average person has cause to violently resist sweeping change to the fundamental human condition.

I'm reading your arguments. I'm simply rejecting them. I'm saying that the Liberation might very well be welcomed on Earth as salvation. Yes, some will resist it out of fear or a desire to protect their petty amounts of power, but I believe that the return of the Supremacists will be welcomed by Earth. Liberation, not conquest.

quote:

Cythereal all your posts read like terror robot propaganda, fyi.

As opposed to the fear-mongers peddling Chicken Little's vision of the future? Perhaps.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I'd view them as incomprehensible, inhuman monsters :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd view them as incomprehensible, inhuman monsters :colbert:

Oh no, they never go hungry or thirsty! Woe unto them, natural disasters no longer threaten them! The horror, they no longer suffer the slow collapse of old age! The end is nigh, they are free from disease and injury!

It is time for humanity's childhood to end.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Boys, I think we found one of them robosexuals, let's kick his rear end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Oh no, they never go hungry or thirsty! Woe unto them, natural disasters no longer threaten them! The horror, they no longer suffer the slow collapse of old age! The end is nigh, they are free from disease and injury!

The funny thing is I'm all about the transhumanism angle personally, I am merely mocking your inability to grasp how many people ain't gonna see it that way and are kind of attached to the whole humanity thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I mean I'm all for transhumanism myself, but I doubt I'd ever go further than a few bionics.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hmmm! I am a post-apocalyptic savage, catching rats to feed to my family midst the blasted ruins of a dying earth. I know nothing of machines or civilization save for the rotting wreckage that fills the ghost-haunted cities of the bygone ages, and the silly legends that the elders passed down from their elders. Suddenly, a glowing vortex appears in the sky, and thousands of gleaming bionic figures come pouring out, slaying the tribesmen who, in terror, futilely throw spears and arrows and stones at them.

What do you suppose I would think?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The funny thing is I'm all about the transhumanism angle personally, I am merely mocking your inability to grasp how many people ain't gonna see it that way and are kind of attached to the whole humanity thing.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that assuming people in the future will respond to transhumanism the way we do now is not a good idea. It's hardly as though you'll be landing on the planet and clicking the "become robots yes/no" button. I'd be surprised if a Supremacy faction doesn't accept cybernetic augmentation as widespread and completely normal before the next step is taken.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

See, now, this is why this thread rocks so much more than the last one. The other thread consisted of 100% bitching about how none of the games were perfect. This thread is instead debating and discussing the merits of awesome possible future paths for humanity.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DrSunshine posted:

Hmmm! I am a post-apocalyptic savage, catching rats to feed to my family midst the blasted ruins of a dying earth. I know nothing of machines or civilization save for the rotting wreckage that fills the ghost-haunted cities of the bygone ages, and the silly legends that the elders passed down from their elders. Suddenly, a glowing vortex appears in the sky, and thousands of gleaming bionic figures come pouring out, slaying the tribesmen who, in terror, futilely throw spears and arrows and stones at them.

What do you suppose I would think?

Where we're going you won't need to think.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that the possibility of Purity going for genetical enhancements and other options in order to perfect the human organism makes them sound far more interesting than I gave them credit for from the beginning.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that the possibility of Purity going for genetical enhancements and other options in order to perfect the human organism makes them sound far more interesting than I gave them credit for from the beginning.

Yeah but at that point Purity is basically "Harmony, except a little bitch who's afraid of taking it to 11".

Yeah I said it. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah but at that point Purity is basically "Harmony, except a little bitch who's afraid of taking it to 11".

Yeah I said it. :colbert:

Haw! I like you.

Harmony vs. Purity players are inevitably going to be compared to James Cameron's Avatar and I love it. Hee hee hee.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If the Harmony ending really is another "fuse with Planet consciousness" thing like the article suggested I will be going Harmony out of a steadfast inability to break the habits SMAC taught me :saddowns:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
If the path that allows humanity to mutate itself and other creatures into a chimerical menagerie is wrong, then boy, I don't want to be right.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If the Harmony ending really is another "fuse with Planet consciousness" thing like the article suggested I will be going Harmony out of a steadfast inability to break the habits SMAC taught me :saddowns:

I hope we get dark and gut wrenching quotes like this one.

quote:

You are the children of a dead planet, EarthDeirdre, and this death we do not comprehend. We shall take you in, but may we ask this question--will we too catch the planetdeath disease?

Lady Deirdre Skye, "Conversations With Planet"

You already did Planet, you already did :(

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Whatever it is, I really hope there isn't any fluff about a 'blooming' or whatever it was called that made it seem like any option beside transcendence was doomed

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Harmony vs. Purity players are inevitably going to be compared to James Cameron's Avatar and I love it. Hee hee hee.

From the sounds of it, Supremacy on a good day will be somewhere between the Cybran Nation and The Culture. On a bad day... SHODAN, the Borg, Eclipse Phase, Dr. Robotnik, take your pick.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

It's pretty funny that given how all the different philosophies are set up to be incompatible, one of the victory types is being the first to contact another even more alien civilisation. I'm sure that our first diplomatic relationship with an alien race will go real well, given our track record.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We're genetically disposed to fear The Other and form exclusive tribes

I'm sure first contact will go well

Plus the gyrations many religions will need to go through to account for another sentient species

And that's about as far down that d&d road I want to go as it relates to hex based city builder game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

Whatever it is, I really hope there isn't any fluff about a 'blooming' or whatever it was called that made it seem like any option beside transcendence was doomed

Well to be fair, incredible amounts of ecological damage could have stopped the Blooming too. v:v:v

You'd just be maiming an ancient God-like intelligence in so doing.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Fuligin posted:

let us never forget the sins of the past thread

Mods please please change the thread title to this.

I've always been a fan of transhuman concepts, but I find the idea of transforming into an alien being rather than a cyborg way more interesting and novel and also cool. And yeah, you people who aren't cythereal have a point. Screw those earth guys who'll never understand what we've found, we'll just stay here and chill with our planet bro.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At any rate, in case anyone missed it in the latest blog, we now know more about one of the playable factions. The Pan-Asian Cooperative is an industrial faction, receiving production bonuses. And Brasilia has previously been referred to as a/the militaristic faction.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
With the sub-factions thing going on in addition to Affinities I hope that we get something like the Looters again.

Prav posted:

Of course it's a liberation. You can trust us. We are here to help you.

I hope we can make Terminators.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Strange Matter posted:

The tragic irony of SMAC is that because Miriam can only really win if she rushes everyone she comes across at the start of the game, she will either be dead or will have won the game already before the really horrible stuff like the Dream Twister, Singularity Inductor or the Bulk-Matter Transmitter becomes available which would vindicate her beliefs.

what's wrong with the bulk-matter transmitter?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There was already a thread for this game, but this one is way better.

The ability to basically 'roll you own' civ with the starting bonuses is really interesting and, from a game design perspective, much easier to balance (change the 'credit' cost of whatever bonuses you make). Changing unit upgrades is probably for the best, that's just tedious in the original civ.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Speedball posted:

See, now, this is why this thread rocks so much more than the last one. The other thread consisted of 100% bitching about how none of the games were perfect. This thread is instead debating and discussing the merits of awesome possible future paths for humanity.

The last thread didn't involve cringe-worthy discussions that basically surmise which forms of xenophilia you fetishise most. :smugjones:

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

rudatron posted:

There was already a thread for this game, but this one is way better.

The old thread was earth circa 22XX, it was polluted and damaged by its inhabitants. This one is the new planet we've discovered, vibrant and untainted for now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Verviticus posted:

what's wrong with the bulk-matter transmitter?

Or the singularity inductor, for that matter. It's just teleportation and a really fancy reactor, right?

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Or the singularity inductor, for that matter. It's just teleportation and a really fancy reactor, right?

And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this
machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever,
leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?

—Sister Miriam Godwinson,
“We Must Dissent”

Something something technology is bad and caves are the only suitable habitat for mankind's pure souls or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Chonchon posted:

And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this
machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever,
leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?

—Sister Miriam Godwinson,
“We Must Dissent”

To be fair, the video does seem to back her up on that.

• Locked thread