Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

ITT We post what we feel are the most sinister Alpha Centauri Quotes.

Here's mine:

:gonk:

This quote isn't that sinister by itself... but with the video it's horrifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCaACqy1Ro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Chonchon posted:

The game takes place over 2000 years though. The first colonists may have been from earth, but their children and their children's children and on and on will only have space-fireside stories and primitive 23rd century camera stills to go on regarding earth.

I know if I was in that position, I would be asking why the gently caress we're worrying about a smoggy hellhole that our great^100000 grandparents may or may not have come from, when we've got a perfectly serviceable home that we've been living on for the past 2000 years. :confused:

That was the position Issac Asimov took for the foundation stories. Earth was lost because who cares about the mudball great grandpa came from.

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*

Strange Matter posted:

Ah, okay, so I misattributed the quotes but the events still stand. The Spartans and Gaians had a war and it would appear that the Gaians won. Probably with worms.

There's also a trilogy of SMAC novels that I remember being surprisingly good which tell their own story separate from the blurb canon or even the transcendence storyline. Then again I haven't read them in years.

The bit with the Gaians rolling Quantum Tanks into Sparta City actually happened in the last game I played, as Santiago, except Deidre wasn't arriving as a conqueror, but to liberate it for her pact sister from Yang. The quote still fit.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's the story on drones actually? From a few of the novel excerpts and some of the story blurps in the game it's like they're a subrace of humanity and not just a class thing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

victrix posted:

Beyond Earth will take place in the same universe as Xcom :ssh:

Alien saucer as a cameo unit, à la the Xcom Squad in Civ 5.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TyrsHTML posted:

That was the position Issac Asimov took for the foundation stories. Earth was lost because who cares about the mudball great grandpa came from.

Big ol' Asimov spoiler:
Earth was lost because a robot made it radioactive. He made it take long enough that everyone could evacuate, but made Earth uninhabitable. The idea was that with Earth gone, humans would stop venerating it and going on pilgrimages to it, and would look outward towards colonising the galaxy instead. His mind couldn't take the strain of the thought that there was a chance he had just doomed humanity, and it killed him.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gort posted:

Big ol' Asimov spoiler:
Earth was lost because a robot made it radioactive. He made it take long enough that everyone could evacuate, but made Earth uninhabitable. The idea was that with Earth gone, humans would stop venerating it and going on pilgrimages to it, and would look outward towards colonising the galaxy instead. His mind couldn't take the strain of the thought that there was a chance he had just doomed humanity, and it killed him.
When was this?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the story on drones actually? From a few of the novel excerpts and some of the story blurps in the game it's like they're a subrace of humanity and not just a class thing.

I took them to be like Gammas from Brave New World, where 'lower quality' individuals are developmentally inhibited to create a caste of uneducated workers.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 14, 2014

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

victrix posted:

Makes a hilarious amount of sense actually.

Explains why humanity magically has FTL technology, for a start. And hey, maybe the 'Great Mistake' that rearranged the geo-political situation was XCOM loving up a little bit and letting a couple of countries get hosed by aliens.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I took them to be like Gammas from Brave New World, where 'lower quality' individuals are developmentally inhibited to create a caste of uneducated workers.

I don't know if they're actually genetically manipulated to be inferior so much as they are just all the low-income, low-skill toilet scrubbers we'll still need in the future.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Speedball posted:

I don't know if they're actually genetically manipulated to be inferior so much as they are just all the low-income, low-skill toilet scrubbers we'll still need in the future.

Well there is this pretty horrifying quote, in case anyone forgot about commie space China.

Glorious Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, right, GENEJACKS are genetically-engineered proles, but I don't think that applies to everyone's drones.

Also there are a lot of philosophers spinning in their graves at the "a slave who doesn't know he's a slave isn't really a slave" line.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My favourite is still the virtual world quote, because it basically sets the tone for the entire game: the reach for a utopian dream with these unavoidable sinister undertones. It's the first hint of the inevitable descent into madness later in the game.

victrix posted:

What are you basing this on? Because that's an incredibly dumb decision on their part, and I'm more inclined to think that you actually made this up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When was this?

I think it was a later novel that didn't fit in the various series. R. Daniel is involved, as well as Elijah's grandson and the Solarian woman whose name escapes me. I think.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

sullat posted:

I think it was a later novel that didn't fit in the various series. R. Daniel is involved, as well as Elijah's grandson and the Solarian woman whose name escapes me. I think.

Yea its more of an addendum to the Robots saga than a part of it. It helps bridge the gap between the Robots saga, the Empire saga, and the Foundation saga, as initially Asimov didnt really think about the 3 different universes being times in the same universe.

Looking forward to the re-birth of the human hive in our new world :getin:

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

TyrsHTML posted:

Yea its more of an addendum to the Robots saga than a part of it. It helps bridge the gap between the Robots saga, the Empire saga, and the Foundation saga, as initially Asimov didnt really think about the 3 different universes being times in the same universe.

Looking forward to the re-birth of the human hive in our new world :getin:

I really, really like the custom colony thing. You can probably recreate any faction from SMAC easily.

That said, gently caress hive, I'm taking soldiers, extra weapons and the Brasilia leader. The Spartan Federation will live again!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm probably gonna end up choosing Supremacy, hyper-teching it up like some kind of cyber space wizard, and recreating the glorious University of Planet. Bow to the :science:, bitches!!

Just look at this fella, rocking the Spider Jerusalem shades like it's nobody's business.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
drones are space proletariat

hence free drones from SMAX (the 'good communist' faction)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The reason I ask is that in the novel Domai and his buddy drones live under Yang, and they are especially stupid but strong and it's only like 6 years after planetfall. So I was wondering if there were some gene caste from earth already since it's 100 years in the future.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

I'm probably gonna end up choosing Supremacy, hyper-teching it up like some kind of cyber space wizard, and recreating the glorious University of Planet. Bow to the :science:, bitches!

Science only has worth when it serves humanity- enslaving ourselves to the machine would deny us that which made us great in the first place. Only by safeguarding the Purity of our culture and species will we finally find apotheosis.

That said, if apotheosis comes with a skull gun, I won't complain!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DrSunshine posted:

University of Planet

That's a strange way to spell "Cybernetic Consciousness".

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

This quote isn't that sinister by itself... but with the video it's horrifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCaACqy1Ro

I don't want to eat chicken anymore.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Rookersh posted:

I don't want to eat chicken anymore.

It gets even better when you know exactly what is going on in that video. And what happens after.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The Longevity Vaccine obviously is the best secret project video.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Stroth posted:

That's a strange way to spell "Cybernetic Consciousness".

The CyCon were too OP in SMAX. :saddowns:

But yeah, thinking about it, Supremacy sounds way more like the Cybernetic Consciousness than any of the other factions.

Also-- still hoping for "Economic victory". That and Transcendence were the only ways I ever managed to actually win SMAC on Transcend difficulty.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alien contact might either be an economic or a scientific victory…need more details to know for sure.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Demiurge4 posted:

If I remember right, there was a problem with the Unity's cryopods. Some got flooded with radiation, some malfunctioned, some didn't seal right, or opened too soon or opened too late, meaning that a significant portion of the colonists woke up effectively lobotomised. The condition wasn't always permanant though, which is why they had nerve stapling, which apparently would prevent drones from re-awakening, or turn non-drones into drones or otherwise make them docile.

Foreman Domai, the leader of the free drones, was originally the Unity's chief engineer, but his cryopod malfunctioned and he ended up as a drone. When he recovered, he led a revolt of some drones and drove off into the sunset. I always assumed Nerve Stapling was a reaction to that.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Atmus posted:

It gets even better when you know exactly what is going on in that video. And what happens after.
It's also kind of sinister when you take into account what its effects are. Its primary bonus is putting all of your bases into Population Boom mode at all times, but its secondary bonus negates the penalties of the Values: Power social engineering option. Power's penalty is that you lose Industry, due to your faction neglecting manufacturing in favor of enlistment, as well as weapons being expensive, but the Cloning Vats basically allows you to pump out an unlimited workforce on demand for the sole purpose of supplying your armed forces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Atmus posted:

I'm guessing you pour them into a big blender and get chicken nuggets out the other end?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I'm guessing you pour them into a big blender and get chicken nuggets out the other end?

It's closer related to a wood chipper than a blender, and they don't bother making nuggets. That's where the chicks tossed into that funnel at the end go. The wood chipper method is (or was) still considered humane since it does kill the chicks super fast, but it's really unsettling to see the first time.

Basically they are looking for hens for a hatchery, so they don't want roosters. The males still exist though, so you have to solve that problem. You can substitute males with 'too small, ugly, jerk, Libertarian' or whatever since it all works the same way.

Strange Matter posted:

It's also kind of sinister when you take into account what its effects are. Its primary bonus is putting all of your bases into Population Boom mode at all times, but its secondary bonus negates the penalties of the Values: Power social engineering option. Power's penalty is that you lose Industry, due to your faction neglecting manufacturing in favor of enlistment, as well as weapons being expensive, but the Cloning Vats basically allows you to pump out an unlimited workforce on demand for the sole purpose of supplying your armed forces.

Not only that, but there's an implication by the usage of that video that the cloning process isn't 100% perfect, and you have to do something with the potential humans that didn't pass QC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Atmus posted:

It's closer related to a wood chipper than a blender, and they don't bother making nuggets. That's where the chicks tossed into that funnel at the end go. The wood chipper method is (or was) still considered humane since it does kill the chicks super fast, but it's really unsettling to see the first time.

Basically they are looking for hens for a hatchery, so they don't want roosters. The males still exist though, so you have to solve that problem. You can substitute males with 'too small, ugly, jerk, Libertarian' or whatever since it all works the same way.

Huh, I was actually joking about that but welp, not overly surprising to me having worked for a couple of years in wholesale meat delivery.

Definitely gives the project speech an... interesting spin.

Kinda wish I'd played SMAC now, I don't think I had a PC when it came out so i sort of missed the boat, but it seems like that really good mix of terrifying and awesome that constitutes good sci fi to me. Eclipse Phase the 4x game, sort of.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, I was actually joking about that but welp, not overly surprising to me having worked for a couple of years in wholesale meat delivery.

Kinda wish I'd played SMAC now, I don't think I had a PC when it came out so i sort of missed the boat, but it seems like that really good mix of terrifying and awesome that constitutes good sci fi to me. Eclipse Phase the 4x game, sort of.
SMAC is $6.00 on GOG. Go nuts!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

http://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Yo Strange Matter, I'm really happy for you, imma let you finish, but The Dream Twister was the best wonder video of all time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

SMAC is $6.00 on GOG. Go nuts!

I get the feeling I probably wouldn't enjoy it so much if I played it now. Even older games I really liked when I first played them, I find almost impossible to go back to now.

Edit: Hmm, though actually that looks a lot more modern than I thought it would.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I get the feeling I probably wouldn't enjoy it so much if I played it now. Even older games I really liked when I first played them, I find almost impossible to go back to now.
You should give it a shot. The gameplay and UI are dated, but the story and atmosphere are as great as they ever were. It's definitely worth a playthrough if terrifying and awesome sci-fi is your thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Atmus posted:

Not only that, but there's an implication by the usage of that video that the cloning process isn't 100% perfect, and you have to do something with the potential humans that didn't pass QC.

It all comes down to the control all of these extreme personality faction leaders have. All the factions are personality cults and they all have their own "perfect vision" of humanity's future. There is no room for dissent or for an organic evolution of society on the planet. You'd think that a whole planet would be big enough for a few thousand colonists but no, they all have to start killing each other.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

OwlFancier posted:

Especially with the Recycling Tanks.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, Ethics for Tomorrow posted:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Yang really wasn't much for sentimentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ersatz posted:

You should give it a shot. The gameplay and UI are dated, but the story and atmosphere are as great as they ever were. It's definitely worth a playthrough if terrifying and awesome sci-fi is your thing.

Yeah the number one thing that sucks about going back to SMAC is the controls. Everything else is fine.

• Locked thread