Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Raitzeno posted:

My copy of Nosurge is now here too, so into the breach I go. I'll see you in hell, Feinne.

E: I just synthed an item. What is this madness. This poo poo has to be seen to be believed. I eagerly await an LP of this in about 3 months.

I KNOW RIGHT. I goddamn DIED when that happened the first time.

I might post the video version of the Hundred Knight tutorial prologue in here as a preview of the thing, though I'll admit it's probably the most boring part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Feinne posted:

I KNOW RIGHT. I goddamn DIED when that happened the first time.
I just looked it up and no seriously what the gently caress was that what did I just watch.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
When you get to the second party it is somehow even better.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So what you guys are saying is that I should stay unspoiled and get Ar Nosurge, correct?
For reference, I loved AT2, liked 1 and even 3 triggered morbid fascination.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Omobono posted:

So what you guys are saying is that I should stay unspoiled and get Ar Nosurge, correct?
For reference, I loved AT2, liked 1 and even 3 triggered morbid fascination.

If you liked AT2 then you'll at the minimum dig Ar Nosurge's combat system, which borrows many of its ideas (though defending does work slightly differently).

One note, while you should definitely play the game on Hard because Normal is pretty plainly 'yeah I just want to experience the plot here get this game poo poo outta my face' they actually are not entirely underselling things by using that word, because no lie bosses in this game will RUIN YOUR rear end in a top hat if you don't get good at figuring out how to deal with them. I've gotten more Game Overs in Ar Nosurge than I have in all of Ar Tonelico that's not it and I just finished Phase 1 (to be fair I'm pretty sure the only time I've game overed in the rest of the series was a boss doing something deeply bullshit in Qoga).

Oh yeah and Ultimax Suplex Hold came out though I'm not going to start going through story mode in that until I'm done with Ar Nosurge.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 1, 2014

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Einander posted:

When you get to the second party it is somehow even better.

There's no way. Holy poo poo, I need to get that far FAST.

They have a different one for each CATEGORY of synthed items. Holy hell, it gets BETTER than THAT?!

Battle Strudel
Jan 1, 2010
It's been mentioned once before I think but it's really worth reading a summary of Ciel Nosurge before you play Ar Nosurge. As much as they're ignoring it in the translation, Ar is still a direct sequel to Ciel and some stuff will make way more sense if you know what happened before.

Also because if you like the music in these games, there's some really good tracks in Ciel as well.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I will say that while knowing who the gently caress everyone is would be helpful, Ar Nosurge does do a decent enough job of making it pretty obvious how people relate to each other insomuch as you need to know it to get what's going on.

Also Ciel Nosurge comes up in one of Nelico's Genometrics conversations, amusingly. As in, the actual game.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Oh my god, that IS even better in this section. Holy poo poo, this game is amazing just for that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Helpful Ar Nosurge Hint if you've gotten to Ion's side:

So, you'll want to jump in and do her Genometrics right away because more Song Magic is more, right? Well, you can get some crystals right away, but it's absolutely impossible to finish her first level until the start of Phase II. That said, you can and should do Kanon's Genometrics as soon as it's available for her because it's actually one of the requirements for doing Ion's later.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So, we wrapped up my current consulting job and it'll probably be a couple weeks before the next one starts, so I can really give some attention to trying to get Hundred Knight off the ground. I'll probably have time to get things into the state I want Saturday or so.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is the issue with archiving threads still up? I'd hate to see everything deleted by accident.

I figured I might as well mention Gust/TecmoKoei are holding surveys for Ar Nosurge since you guys mentioned it a bunch here(NA and EU versions respectively). It's funny, they've been pretty regular about this ever since the merger. It's not much but I'd like to see more of this kinda feedback collection from other developers.
Also those synthesis dances are absolutely amazing.

Feinne posted:

Pirachu's made if very plain that he's the series' mascot, how could he not be in it?
I suppose he's been in more games than not by now. And he does have his moments outside of his schtick.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'd like Rei to show up again. I actually really liked her and how she grew as a character.
I'd say the same but unfortunately her character arc is kinda over, and that's pretty much a death sentence as far as reappearances go in this sorta series(pretty much reduced to Chirper icons really). I'm sure ReBirth V will add something though, they've been good about extra playable characters with these remakes and it's planning a Disgaea style side-story apparently.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Until the archives issues is resolved nothing's actually leaving the live forums so don't worry about that.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Any plans to do Disgaea 4 at some point ?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tzarnal posted:

Any plans to do Disgaea 4 at some point ?

Yes, with a but that I'd be much more likely to LP the Vita remake once the thing they've got coming out later in the year is out. I haven't done it yet in part because someone else was doing it but seems to have abandoned it and in part because while I like the story okay gameplay wise it's probably my least favorite Disgaea, but the remake does fix a lot of that.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Feinne posted:

Yes, with a but that I'd be much more likely to LP the Vita remake once the thing they've got coming out later in the year is out. I haven't done it yet in part because someone else was doing it but seems to have abandoned it and in part because while I like the story okay gameplay wise it's probably my least favorite Disgaea, but the remake does fix a lot of that.

Yeah, I'm a good ways into the postgame and really starting to appreciate some of the QOL features they stole from Disgaea D2.

Also, having all the DLC characters available is really cool. Stella especially was a massive all-star all the way through the end of the main story, and one of the DLC generic classes ended up with one of the most important Unique skills in the game; it was on a fairly deep-hidden unlockable generic class in Disgaea 3, when the skill was first introduced, so I was very sad when it wasn't really available on the PS3 version of D4.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Raitzeno posted:

Yeah, I'm a good ways into the postgame and really starting to appreciate some of the QOL features they stole from Disgaea D2.

Also, having all the DLC characters available is really cool. Stella especially was a massive all-star all the way through the end of the main story, and one of the DLC generic classes ended up with one of the most important Unique skills in the game; it was on a fairly deep-hidden unlockable generic class in Disgaea 3, when the skill was first introduced, so I was very sad when it wasn't really available on the PS3 version of D4.

Yeah when I heard they took a lot of Disgaea D2's QOL improvements I suddenly became more interested in the D4 remake, because vanilla D4 honestly has the worst QOL choices of the series.

DD2 is still better, though, because the way the item world and item leveling works in that is just so good.

So what I'm currently thinking is I'm going to shoot for a double post of Hundred Knight tomorrow or Sunday, I want to have the start of the actual plot along with the prologue. At that point I'll probably attempt to roughly update on Wednesdays and Saturdays, which gives me plenty of time to sort through whether a dungeon deserves highlight clips or potentially a full video with commentary.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 3, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Raitzeno posted:

If I owned a vita I'd pick it up just for the awesomeness of having necromancers and medics. Those two are extremely useful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So has the Vita version of D2 been announced yet?

EDIT: No it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hundred Knight is live.

• Locked thread