Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I do like that the VTOL was courteous enough to float away and crash outside the fence of the main part of the roof. Sure, they were trying to kill you, but that doesn't mean they'll let the fiery debris of their vehicle block your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Detective Thompson posted:

I do like that the VTOL was courteous enough to float away and crash outside the fence of the main part of the roof.
On the other side of the fence Duke Nukem takes out his gun and mumbles something about people messing up his ride.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I like how every male character that you can mindjack sounds like a bad Hank Hill impression to Judge.

Get used to it, everybody.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

I agree with Diaper Chris that the VTOL looks stupid. And here's why!

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Devious Vacuum posted:

I agree with Diaper Chris that the VTOL looks stupid. And here's why!

It looks exactly like something out of an N64-era Rare game now.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
But what's its name? I'm thinking Vito.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

I like how every male character that you can mindjack sounds like a bad Hank Hill impression to Judge. And the entire Sweet Steve section left my cheeks sore from all the laughing.

This is bs judge's hank hill is high quality. This is clearly a bad Mr Howell

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

I like how every male character that you can mindjack sounds like a bad Hank Hill impression to Judge.

Except for Morgan Freeman. He didn't sound much like Morgan Freeman, but he definitely did not sound like a Hank Hill impression.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I'm the man of a thousand voices.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

But what's its name? I'm thinking Vito.

It's Victor VTOL, clearly.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

judge reinhold posted:

I'm the man of a thousand voices.

Master of none

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's Victor VTOL, clearly.

Danny DeVTOL.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Red Minjo posted:

Danny DeVTOL.

Where's the upvote on this site??

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Red Minjo posted:

Danny DeVTOL.

:master:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

You didn't link the thread in your first video rear end in a top hat. I thought it was a one off.

I hate the main character of this game already.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He has enough of a personality to form an opinion on him?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

goatface posted:

He has enough of a personality to form an opinion on him?

Yeah, I thought that after I posted. It's his douche face.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

PrinceRandom posted:

Yeah, I thought that after I posted. It's his douche face.

Hey, frosted tips are gonna come back in style!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Last time on MindJack, we brought down a whirly-bird, or I guess a hovery-bird. Words were said, feelings were hurt, rockets were fired. The point is Jim and Rebecca continued their way through the most perilous airport outside of LaGuardia (I have never been to and also know nothing about LaGuardia) and delve deeper, but a trap awaited: the baggage claim area. There they met an unlikely ally, who unfortunately was dispatched handily and also several subsequent times. Can the pair remember their luggage combination? What could Rebecca possibly know to justify sending millions of dollars of lovely helicopters and priceless-in-a-non-monetary-way Squawkers to silence her? Will Jim's bubbly personality and wry quips be up for the challenge? Watch and find out!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The shot with you two standing over the glitched gun wheels needs its own caption competition.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mehuyael posted:

I think you're really reaching here.

I want to retract this statement. I was wrong, you were right.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

In the horrifying techno-dystopian future, debate over the Freedom of Information Act has never been fiercer.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Loving the LP, you loons. I remember hearing about this when it came out.

On the other hand, what is the point of the whole thing? I mean, seriously, this makes zero sense and looks pretty much like zero game generated fun.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I wish at some point the game told you how to level your arts and crafts store.

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

Brassherald posted:

I wish at some point the game told you how to level your arts and crafts store.

It's probably the Back button. Diaper should throw the points into using a hot glue gun.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It was a sad day when NASA was shoved into the FIA security personnel. Hundreds of potential astronauts now make slightly meager wages killing illicit mind-jackers.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Still love Jijm's volume issues. Can yell, gotta yell.

Also love how MindJack leaves it to the player to create the plot.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
So is this set on Radiant Garden or in Traverse Town?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Please try and figure out how to use your upgrades.

I gotta say, I really dig the robot designs. While some of the other designs are rather lacking, the killer roombas are nice.

Also... those heavies really DO look like astronauts, which is weird but cool I guess?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

your evil twin posted:

Please try and figure out how to use your upgrades.

I gotta say, I really dig the robot designs. While some of the other designs are rather lacking, the killer roombas are nice.

Also... those heavies really DO look like astronauts, which is weird but cool I guess?

What upgrades

Gale
Jul 12, 2012

I'm kind of angry with myself for being so fascinated by this game. The characters and dialogue are ridiculously bad, but the ABSOLUTE REFUSAL to talk about the mind-control plot point keeps putting me in Dark Souls theorycraft mode, and I'm weirdly enthralled by it. I'm starting to feel like it's actually really interesting that the main duo never seem to be aware that they're constantly getting mind controlled, and they never wonder why random janitors and doombas and enemy agents suddenly start helping them in fights for no reason.

I've heard that the mind control plot twist never actually materialises, and that might actually be a really cool way to tell a story like this? We see the anonymous cyberghost force Jim to murder an undercover agent and partner up with activist lady for no apparent reason, there's an unexplained flashback to a corpse on a morgue table, and all gameplay sections are literally the cyberghost using magical mindjackery to help the pair defeat enemies they would otherwise be hopelessly outmatched against. It's all being shown so openly and obviously that I kinda feel like it would just feel flat and condescending if they tried to treat it like a shocking revelation.

If they can put all the pieces out there, and trust us to put it all together without having it explicitly spelled out, then that could actually be an elegant method of storytelling that's kinda unique to videogames. They can avoid the usual contrivances of Goldfinger just telling Bond about his master plan for literally no reason, or Sherlock Holmes explaining every little clue or detail to Watson because the audience isn't given enough information to understand without finding some excuse for unrealistic expository dialogue.

Or it could be a rushed pile of bullshit. I can't tell with this game. Nothing about it seems to deserve the benefit of the doubt, and yet it would be so interesting if they're actually doing a thing here.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

judge reinhold posted:

What upgrades

I think he means the selection of Pluiginart appliances you guys are collecting.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Giant Gorilla Dogs, Doombas, Deathwheels and frosted tips; This is a horrible mindjacking future.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Worldwide Panther posted:

I think he means the selection of Pluiginart appliances you guys are collecting.

:thejoke:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I only have one thing to say about that joke during the cutscene at about 8 minutes: Boo Gehrig

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know, I've got to hand it to Mind Jack, it takes some real courage to make an action game where the entire plot is the main character's fault for being stupid.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You know, I've got to hand it to Mind Jack, it takes some real courage to make an action game where the entire plot is the main character's fault for being stupid.

Why did woman decide to go with him in episode one? I still don't understand, he murders someone right in front of her but whatever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This must be the most generic looking game in recent memory. Even the robots manage to just blend into the environment.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Gale posted:

I'm kind of angry with myself for being so fascinated by this game. The characters and dialogue are ridiculously bad, but the ABSOLUTE REFUSAL to talk about the mind-control plot point keeps putting me in Dark Souls theorycraft mode, and I'm weirdly enthralled by it. I'm starting to feel like it's actually really interesting that the main duo never seem to be aware that they're constantly getting mind controlled, and they never wonder why random janitors and doombas and enemy agents suddenly start helping them in fights for no reason.

I've heard that the mind control plot twist never actually materialises, and that might actually be a really cool way to tell a story like this? We see the anonymous cyberghost force Jim to murder an undercover agent and partner up with activist lady for no apparent reason, there's an unexplained flashback to a corpse on a morgue table, and all gameplay sections are literally the cyberghost using magical mindjackery to help the pair defeat enemies they would otherwise be hopelessly outmatched against. It's all being shown so openly and obviously that I kinda feel like it would just feel flat and condescending if they tried to treat it like a shocking revelation.

If they can put all the pieces out there, and trust us to put it all together without having it explicitly spelled out, then that could actually be an elegant method of storytelling that's kinda unique to videogames. They can avoid the usual contrivances of Goldfinger just telling Bond about his master plan for literally no reason, or Sherlock Holmes explaining every little clue or detail to Watson because the audience isn't given enough information to understand without finding some excuse for unrealistic expository dialogue.

Or it could be a rushed pile of bullshit. I can't tell with this game. Nothing about it seems to deserve the benefit of the doubt, and yet it would be so interesting if they're actually doing a thing here.

See, this guy has the right attitude. MindJack is a blank canvas, but it gives you the colors to paint with. There's a rich universe waiting to be unleashed with Morgan Freeman, Lou Gehrig, and Sbarro's. You guys calling it bland are right, but it's bland in the same way rice is "bland". You gotta dress it up with A1 Steak Sauce. Do people see the wisps? What happens after the wisp leaves them? Why are they called Squawkers because that name is terrible? The last one is more of a comment but still it's all delicious thought experiments and innovative game design.

PrinceRandom posted:

Why did woman decide to go with him in episode one? I still don't understand, he murders someone right in front of her but whatever.

Gotta go somewhere.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The programming for the Squawkers is pretty simplistic.
10: search for enemies
20: shoot wildly at enemies
30: ooh what's that shiny thing over there I'm gonna go look
40: roll around
50: GOTO 10

The programming for when they're Mind Slaved is the exact same thing.

• Locked thread