Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I haven't played in a while, but I remember one God's passive was mythic units automatically heal, and this included the Titan. My friend and I didn't know any other way to heal Titans so it was kind of a bullshit move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just copy off the wiki http://ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Mythology

Isis.

God Power

Prosperity: Double gold gathering rate for 50 seconds. This affects the player's villagers only.

Bonuses

All technologies cost 10% less food, wood and gold.
Monuments prevent god powers from being targeted nearby.
Town Centers support +3 maximum pop.
Priests summon obelisks 60% faster, obelisks cost 33% less

Technology

Flood of the Nile: Provides 0.75 food per second.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

Sky passages.

Be sure to mention scenarios, they're a huge part of the multiplayer experience. Age of Mythology is second only to Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 in the quality of them and eventually they made up far and away the majority of games on ESO.

I just remembered that it wasn't Monopoly but Sims maps I wasted a ton of time on later in ESOs life. They were really fun for dicking around and making people mad when you showed up at their door with an army.

The Blood maps were also great, straight out of AoC and Warcraft.

Mythodea maps were bizarre.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I sometimes they wish they went all-out with the GPs and gamechanging civ bonuses. Like, Kronos can teleport one building at a time. Why only one? Why limit the gimmick, instead of placing a disadvantage on some other area - e.g., building HP?

They also made Titans less destructive than originally envisioned - they were supposed to cast god powers at some point. I guess maps would have to be a lot bigger for this to work.

e: without an equivalent to JASS and custom units/abilities, the AoM scenario editor is interesting but not really Blizzard-tier. eh. Still fun, but you can't get things like whole game genres springing out of them.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 8, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
How was Rise of Legends? I really liked the ads for it but I never picked it up.

And hey, if we're talking about Microsoft games we want to see get the HD treatment, how about Impossible Creatures?! :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Amusingly near the end of AoM's MP scene someone did attempt to recreate DotA inside AoM. It uh, didn't work great, let's say.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

And hey, if we're talking about Microsoft games we want to see get the HD treatment, how about Impossible Creatures?! :v:

You're my new favorite person.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

How was Rise of Legends? I really liked the ads for it but I never picked it up.

Awesome but terribly busted, slightly janky around the edges, and not nearly supported enough. The MP was badly hosed on launch by Gamespy iirc, which really screwed over the mp community.

Amazing, amazing world though.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I wonder whether it'd be possible to recreate RTSes in the DotA2 engine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ronya posted:

I wonder whether it'd be possible to recreate RTSes in the DotA2 engine.

It's just Source violently twisted to be an RTS engine, so yeah absolutely.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

You mean Rise of Legends :colbert:
Um excuse me I think you mean Paraworld :smugbert:

Man I'm so pissed I bought that game and it never worked; it looked so cool too!! :argh:

Another thing I really liked about AOM was the ingame encyclopedia where they explained everything, from units, to buildings, to god powers, to Gods, to even the Cheat Units which had funny backstories.

AOM really began my love for Mythology because soon afterwards I was reading the Iliad and as you can see it has stuck with me.

Anyone ever play Empires Dawn of the Modern World, I feel like I'm the only one who has experienced the joy of using General Patton as a scout to take out Nazi Pillboxes with nothing but his revolvers in Operation Overlord.

AOM also made me love Ajax who in retrospect is kind of amazing they went with instead of someone well known like Achilles. Though really Diomedes is better than all of them.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 8, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Paraworld wasn't that good, you didnt miss out. Empires was fun enough but it really was a mess and some of the campaign missions were a mix of missed potential and bullshit (the mission where your plane crashes somewhere and you play like 2 guys on a huge rear end map half of which didn't even get used for one).

Also gently caress the Atlantians. OP assholes. We house ruled them out in my LANs.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I don't remember what they're called for real, but the Hades-unique archers were goddamn insane. Mass them and push over a base in seconds. Their range was almost unfair.

Gonna convince my friends to grab this so we can play for hours like the good ol' days.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Gastraphetes, the crossbow dudes. I remember them being really overpowered in castle bloods. :gonk:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Need to spend a weekend binging on AoM and Titan Quest :3:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Age of Mythology, I love you, and your music, so much :3:

I played a lot of AoE2, but never really got good at it or played online, I bought AoM and it was my first real online multiplayer experience I think.

I was pretty decent at it as well, I never got very high but I made 1800 rating (that was top 900-850?)
The custom campaign community was rock solid, and the "pro's" tended to post on AoMheaven and giving advice it was a good community.

AoE3 was a pretty solid game, but I never got that into it. The decks where nice and after AoM's godpowers they really couldn't go back to pure RTS anyway I think.

Can't wait to play this again with my (turtle) friends and Lokirush them. :unsmigghh::getin:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

victrix posted:

Awesome but terribly busted, slightly janky around the edges, and not nearly supported enough. The MP was badly hosed on launch by Gamespy iirc, which really screwed over the mp community.

Amazing, amazing world though.

'Terribly Busted' in what sense, may I ask?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Huh, I never realized AoM had such an active multiplayer scene. I never liked playing RTSes online as a kid because I was so bad at them, but if I had known it was like WC3... Okay, maybe I won't wait until it's on sale to get it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I actually still have the freaking CD lying around. Collectors Edition and everything. Wonder if there's a way to get it working with the Steam version.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

GenericOverusedName posted:

I actually still have the freaking CD lying around. Collectors Edition and everything. Wonder if there's a way to get it working with the Steam version.

Didn't someone say they messaged the AoE2HD Devs with their original disc/box/cdkey and other shenanigans and they got a free copy, or am I totally making that up?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bloodly posted:

'Terribly Busted' in what sense, may I ask?

It's been a long time since I played, but I remember the engine having some severe issues, and there were notable balance problems.

I don't know how many (or any) were fixed by later patches, because the mp bugs killed the competitive online scene, which killed the game for me.

I think I wound up going back to Battle for Middle Earth II around that time, which was another amazing RTS with annoying MP flaws of its own. Bloody good game though, probably my favorite RTS since Kohan.

I wonder what kind of reception AoE and AoW are getting on Steam, if they have healthy multiplayer communities, maybe we'll see some more interest in 'traditional' rts games instead of dota clones (yeah right).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
we might see more traditional RTS, but they won't be big-budget AAA affairs, I think

more "hmm, we can still get interest out of recycling old art assets and engines"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Babyface Mingo posted:

Didn't someone say they messaged the AoE2HD Devs with their original disc/box/cdkey and other shenanigans and they got a free copy, or am I totally making that up?

You're probably making it up, but it couldn't hurt to shoot them a tweet or something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

I still have my disks for AoM and TT in a drawer 50cm from my computer. :v:
Those discs, together with the original 3 Anno games, and Baldur's Gate discs will never leave my possession. :3:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

RTSes are the only genre of game I am hopelessly, objectively terrible at, but oh my God I loved Age of Mythology in college. I am so excited to play this again, especially since I never played through the singleplayer.

Plague of Serpents all day erryday

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

RTSes are the only genre of game I am hopelessly, objectively terrible at, but oh my God I loved Age of Mythology in college.

This is why Kohan was the best RTS ever :colbert: It was meaningful grand strategy and critically important combat tactics, controllable by non korean fingers and minds.

I've never, ever played anything as epic as the 4v4s I had in Kohan.

... ok I'll go ahead and admit that 1-3 hours for a game is probably excessive, but I don't care, it was loving awesome.

AoM is actually one of the few 'regular' RTS games I liked a lot. Just something about the feel and flavor. In general I've always hated blobby individual unit rts games. Companies or bust. But AoM is just plain charming.

Not AoE3 so much though. Blech.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Opponent used Ancestors
You use Ceasefire
Opponent used Eclipse

:allears:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ughh yes

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mine keeps climbing into the X Days

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Wasted years of my life playing AoE2, AoM, and AoE3. About time someone upgraded AoM and got it out.

In a word:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Just found out about this, super excited. I loved these games when I was a kid.

achillesforever6 posted:

Anyone ever play Empires Dawn of the Modern World, I feel like I'm the only one who has experienced the joy of using General Patton as a scout to take out Nazi Pillboxes with nothing but his revolvers in Operation Overlord.

Hell yes, I loved that game. Though I think we might be the only two people who have ever heard of it. :shobon:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Started playing and the opening cinematic didn't show up, what is this bullshit?! :argh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPA2OgylO0

Oh and I realized yet another reason I loved AOM was because I was playing it when the Mummy Returns was coming out so on Editor I would always try to recreate the Anubite army from the movie. :allears:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
This is probably too early to answer but I wonder if it'd be possible to hack the list of random names for Hersir and add some of your own.

Also :siren: :toot: :woop: IT'S OUT GUYS :woop: :toot: :siren:

Edit: Where's the movie?! :mad:

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 8, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
gonna be streaming a bit probably, im bad and poo poo

http://www.twitch.tv/iambraww

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Can you add in a little section on relics and what they do in the OP?

Orv
May 4, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Can you add in a little section on relics and what they do in the OP?

That poo poo is going to get all up in the mechanics and technical strategies, gimmie a few days.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
All I remember about AoM is that it had Laser Crocodiles with Fancy Hats but that's pretty cool.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They have a pretty funny topic on balance in the faq, it's basically 'we're not changing poo poo about balance, we know there are ten years of opinions, give us some time'.

They also link to a fairly sane thread concept on balance in the steam forum, it's basically 'state the perceived imbalance, don't offer opinions on it, we'll look at it'.

You can guess how long that thread stayed readable before devolving into multi-quote pedantry :allears:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Tch, Skybox didn't bother to make a dedicated 16:9 or 16:10 UI arrangement. There's a huge visible margin but the stuff that should go in corners - Titan completion % text, Wonder years, etc. - don't go in the margin

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VALIS666 posted:

Please Rise of Nations next, please please.

You took the words out of my mouth. I played rise of legends and really liked it, I'd like to play rise of nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You took the words out of my mouth. I played rise of legends and really liked it, I'd like to play rise of nations.

RoN was pretty loving excellent. A friend of mine modded the game to change the pacing of the game heavily and give the AI a lot of advantages. It played out like a slow rts/fast civ and was usually a really tough fight against several AI.

Sins of a Solar Empire is basically that concept in spaaaaaaace (with varying degrees of success).

• Locked thread