Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
9392 ingame, though. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

victrix posted:

They have a pretty funny topic on balance in the faq, it's basically 'we're not changing poo poo about balance, we know there are ten years of opinions, give us some time'.

They also link to a fairly sane thread concept on balance in the steam forum, it's basically 'state the perceived imbalance, don't offer opinions on it, we'll look at it'.

You can guess how long that thread stayed readable before devolving into multi-quote pedantry :allears:

The armchair design community for AoM that thinks they know how to balance it is fascinating.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
10,000 now!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Observations:

the lighting looks a million times better than in the original; I used to habitually set it to default every game but now I think I might actually tolerate day/night cycles even.

they added attack move!

zooming super far out looks weird as heck but maybe I'll get used to it.

it runs perfectly fine for me (I haven't tried a huge game yet) but there are some things that look fairly unpolished... building previews before you set them down look real ugly, the title screen doesn't scale with new borders, you can hear the stuff in the main menu generating when you launch, and so on. I'm just happy performance is good though so I can tolerate all that.

Pleasantly surprised.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Okay well it turns out I'm terrible at managing an economy and basically everything about this game. I used to know what I was doing, I swear. :negative:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Okay well it turns out I'm terrible at managing an economy and basically everything about this game. I used to know what I was doing, I swear. :negative:

Man, I didn't even remember you had to tech up to build military buildings or that you could build walls pretty much everywhere if you wanted.

12 years is a long time, my friend. :unsmith:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Kanos posted:

Man, I didn't even remember you had to tech up to build military buildings or that you could build walls pretty much everywhere if you wanted.

12 years is a long time, my friend. :unsmith:

I know! I have no money or food or wood for anyone and I basically forgot everything about everything except the unit quotes.

What do you mean about 12 years though? I don't understaoh my god Age of Mythology came out in 2002

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Haha oh wow I'm so terrible at this game now.

Oh well, I still love it. Gaia making errything green smoke weed erry day.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

victrix posted:

Sins of a Solar Empire is basically that concept in spaaaaaaace (with varying degrees of success).

Sins is the game that best captured the feel of earlier RTS's for me. Not perfect, but pretty goddamn fun.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Sins is pretty good! Simplistic but still enjoyable, and now that I think about it, it is kind of similar in concept to Rise of Nations with your city-centric (planets) spheres of influence.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sins is also a really good coop game. Which is what I want to discuss now.

So most of us probably haven't been playing AoM on and off for the last decade and a bit, so it's going to take a while for people to be comfortable with the game again. Once we all do however, how about maybe some designated game nights/afternoons for a few months? Maybe some Vs AI here, some 1v1s there, a 4v4 Goon League over here.

Just something to think about.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I bet you'd have good participation in a low stress non obnoxious player play group.

1v1 rts stress is a thing maaaan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It took me like 10 minutes of watching the AI advance faster than me and go gently caress it spam O CANADA and watch the slaugher :unsmigghh:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Oh God oh goodness oh man, AoM? Is this a dream? Where are we? Hold me. Hold me tight and don't let go.

I cannot wait to get home and buy the poo poo out of this, AoM, Rise of Legends, and Battle for Middle Earth 2 are my favorite RTS's of all time. gently caress Starcraft and it's stupid "balance" REAL RTS games should have ludicrous super units, god powers, and giant monsters everywhere. Oh my goodness if they remade Rise of Legends like this....that game had the BEST factions in any RTS ever. Steampunk Venice vs Magitech Arabia vs Alien Mayans. Incredible. Just glorious. The Mayan God-units in that game were SO BADASS oh goodness come onnnn somebody make it. Make iiit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AttackBacon posted:

Oh God oh goodness oh man, AoM? Is this a dream? Where are we? Hold me. Hold me tight and don't let go.

I cannot wait to get home and buy the poo poo out of this, AoM, Rise of Legends, and Battle for Middle Earth 2 are my favorite RTS's of all time. gently caress Starcraft and it's stupid "balance" REAL RTS games should have ludicrous super units, god powers, and giant monsters everywhere. Oh my goodness if they remade Rise of Legends like this....that game had the BEST factions in any RTS ever. Steampunk Venice vs Magitech Arabia vs Alien Mayans. Incredible. Just glorious. The Mayan God-units in that game were SO BADASS oh goodness come onnnn somebody make it. Make iiit.

High-Five RoL buddy.

BFME2 was also pretty loving glorious. I really wish they made more RTS games in the style of those three.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
loving Atlanteans and their citizens being overpowered.
Seriously this is awesome, and it is by far the best RTS game I've ever played. Brings back so many memories :unsmith:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The fuckers removed the encyclopedia.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

High-Five RoL buddy.

BFME2 was also pretty loving glorious. I really wish they made more RTS games in the style of those three.

You know what else BFME2 had? Besides really amazing sound and voice work and some awesome company size unit combat? And awesome abilities and fun factions and cool maps and and.

Motherfucking right click scroll.

Pretty sure it was a Generals engine feature, but oh my god after you used that for just ten minutes you never, ever wanted to go back to edge scrolling again.

Really any RTS that doesn't let you right click scroll and keyboard scroll should be dragged out and shot. Edge scrolling is the rts equivalent of fps keyboard turning :gonk:

And yes, RoL had the best drat factions in just about any rts ever.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Space Bat posted:

Age of Empires 2 HD was such a good purchase. It's so weird seeing the sprites move at such a smooth frame rate though. The only issue I've found is that the forgotten campaigns are bit unwieldy, like how every time you get an objective, complete one or progress down one three different Objective Complete trumpets blare. Probably gonna grab AoM HD when it goes on sale, spent a long time with that game too, I loved those campaigns.

Shame AoE3 is so bad.

I'm interested in your opinion in why AoE3 is bad. I love that game but they fiddled around with some mechanics that have been mainstays for quite a while. The only that really pisses me off is that they have rendered walls absolutely useless. A single grenadier can bring down your wall on his own. Oh and the repair mechanic where you have to click on each piece of damaged wall or building and activate the repair.

Orv posted:

Last I heard the people who had acquired the Rise Of rights were busy rooting around in old HDDs to try and find the source code. No idea if they ever found it.

I hope they rewrite or choose another engine. I remember the game chugging a LOT even on overpowered rigs.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

How was Rise of Legends? I really liked the ads for it but I never picked it up.

And hey, if we're talking about Microsoft games we want to see get the HD treatment, how about Impossible Creatures?! :v:

Rise of Legends had very colorful factions. A steampunk side with Da Vinci whirlycopters and coal-powered mecha with a Venice theme. The others were some weird robot jaguars with a space-Aztec feel. My favorite were the Arabian mythology guys that crazy awesome units like a giant dragon made of crystals who fired lasers. I think they also had some crazy giant spider and djinnis and such. Very, very crazy units.

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 9, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Asehujiko posted:

wait what? For real, or did they just remove the main menu button to it?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Asehujiko posted:

This ... :negative: I think this was my favorite part of this game. This game taught me so much about mythology. Now there is just an emptiness.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
They didn't remove it at all, right click on a unit portrait. Or the giant button in the goddamn main menu. What are you guys on about.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Koramei posted:

They didn't remove it at all, right click on a unit portrait. Or the giant button in the goddamn main menu. What are you guys on about.
The fact that all those things led to a blank screen for the first 4-5 hours after launch; they seemingly fixed it in the first patch.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

yeah thats what it seems like sorry about the hullabaloo

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zedd posted:

Age of Mythology, I love you, and your music, so much :3:

The music in this game is so loving good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
drat, I missed the sale.

I checked Steam and GMG and both are listed at $30...I take it there's no way to get it cheaper, other than finding three other people to go in on a 4-pack?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Phew, Titan difficulty is far more challenging than I remember, the AI is kicking my rear end on the fifth campaign.

VALIS666
Jan 15, 2007

Fnord!
Poured a giant glass of red wine, sat down with this game, went straight to the menu and saw such wonderful and why-aren't-these-in-more-games options like "bind cursor to window" and "unlock camera" (so you can zoom way the hell out if you choose), start playing and hear that Kraken "gblxgblx" noise, and, mmm, yeah. All is right with the world tonight.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

TerryLennox posted:

I'm interested in your opinion in why AoE3 is bad. I love that game but they fiddled around with some mechanics that have been mainstays for quite a while. The only that really pisses me off is that they have rendered walls absolutely useless. A single grenadier can bring down your wall on his own. Oh and the repair mechanic where you have to click on each piece of damaged wall or building and activate the repair.
Last I played, what made me frustrated was the low options for teams (I think I remember there only being 2 different teams) and the claustrophobia of the camera. Some of the mechanics were great including different buildings for different nations, and having farms that cows would be bought and raised for food.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had no idea AoK Forgotten had new empires in it. Nothing new was showing up in the list, even after completely reinstalling the game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You have to click on the banner at the top of the main menu to switch to the forgotten, otherwise it just stays as the conquerors.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
where is the in game clock hidden, i cannot find this thing

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
F11. F4 for player list. Ctrl+mouse wheel to rotate the camera.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

khwarezm posted:

Phew, Titan difficulty is far more challenging than I remember, the AI is kicking my rear end on the fifth campaign.

the Titans campaigns on Titan difficulty are murderous, as I recall

Golden Gift is pretty tough too, but you can cheese it

the vanilla campaign on Titan is easier though

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ronya posted:

the Titans campaigns on Titan difficulty are murderous, as I recall

Golden Gift is pretty tough too, but you can cheese it

the vanilla campaign on Titan is easier though

I remember the Titans campaign had an utterly bizarre difficulty curve, when I went through them the second mission completely broke me and I had to notch down the difficulty to hard, but then I was able to fly through all of the later missions Scot free on titan. Vanilla feels tougher than it was, maybe things have been tweaked with the re-release, or maybe my experience for AOE2 doesn't carry over as well as I hoped!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 9, 2014

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly, the worst thing for BFME2 was that EA totally hosed the multiplayer after RotWK was released. OP Axe Throwers was one thing, but the loving infinite trample damage on the Lindon Horse Archers was unforgivable. Just delete the drat semi-colon! :argh:

Then somebody borrowed my copy and never gave it back... I do really wish it would get a rerelease, because holy hell have I bought a lot of those. AoE2, AoM, Battlefront 2, Sacrifice...

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I got a few long boring security guard shifts happening this weekend. Prime time to sit and play AoM for like 12 hours a day.
Add me if you're badass enough to take Thoth's flaming balls. http://steamcommunity.com/id/dquad/
Also we should get a goon tourney going.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Honestly, the worst thing for BFME2 was that EA totally hosed the multiplayer after RotWK was released. OP Axe Throwers was one thing, but the loving infinite trample damage on the Lindon Horse Archers was unforgivable. Just delete the drat semi-colon! :argh:

Then somebody borrowed my copy and never gave it back... I do really wish it would get a rerelease, because holy hell have I bought a lot of those. AoE2, AoM, Battlefront 2, Sacrifice...

While BFME2 has many fine qualities, probably my favorite was simply the option to see the massed armies of Sauron, stretching from one end of a valley to another, and to simply say.

"Nope. Tom Bombadil."

And then just don't stop laughing for the next thirty seconds.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
WAs it Ensemble or RElic that made Impossible Creatures?

I remember playing the DS AoE and being dissapointed it sucked. My brother and I couldn't figure out how it worked.

I was hoping for Advanced Wars styled AoE. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

And hey, if we're talking about Microsoft games we want to see get the HD treatment, how about Impossible Creatures?! :v:
Hours behind on responding to this, but I'd legitimately love to see this somehow come into being. I remember loving Impossible Creatures and being really sad that the Insect Invasion DLC refused to work for me for whatever reason, and I've long since lost my original CD. Letting us play havoc with the gene pool again would be pretty great. :allears:

But on the actual topic at hand, I booted up AoM EE and took it for a spin on my laptop while I was trapped in town due to a rainstorm, as well as later in the afternoon. It definitely looks drat good, and plays just as well as it ever did.

It's a bit of a shame that we didn't get at least one new civilization, perhaps someone from the Americas or Asia, but I'm sure the workshop will fix that in quick succession.

• Locked thread