Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do people still watch this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I do. It's entertaining enough, and I like seeing comedians performing their characters from the podcast even though it's usually just a "Greatest Hits" version - J.W. Stillwater's appearance last week pretty much ran through every joke PFT made with the character's debut episode of the CBB podcast in the span of 4 minutes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Crankit posted:

Do people still watch this show?
Every week. It's exactly my favorite type of humor. So over-the-top corny, so many cheesy puns, it's incredible. I love the podcast, too, although that's more for the unedited improv craziness that goes on.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

JethroMcB posted:

I do. It's entertaining enough

This is pretty much how I feel. A few times I almost fell off completely.

I honestly feel like the show is producing twice as many eps as the small staff and budget can handle. The result is less of the often hilarious produced segments, and more studio work that can drag on at times. There are still high notes that, for now, keep me watching like "before you step on that plane" from a few weeks ago.

After canceling birthday boys, I have no faith in IFC doing what is right. gently caress them

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

JethroMcB posted:

I do. It's entertaining enough

Exactly, hell, I'm even fine with them just getting characters to do classic bits. It's just unfunny bits like the stunt actors and overused bits like Return The Cell/Go To Hell that lose me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

If you have fallen off the show, go and watch tonight's with Lil John, both guests were absolutely hilarious.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Claudia O'Doherty was so goddamn funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loved Vince Gilligan as the commissioner.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

tnimark posted:

Claudia O'Doherty was so goddamn funny.

She's been a revelation on the podcast as well. Shame she didn't get to show off her spot-on Kim Cattrall impression though.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I love her Kim Cattrall impression. Mmmm

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

that was a rly good ep

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
This Colin hanks episode is probably my favorite out of this season.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I love the maker upper segment this ep

"no, he died from auto-erotic asphyxiation"

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

For those of you who don't listen to the podcast or haven't listened to the latest episode, this Thursday's show is Reggie Watts' farewell episode. I may cry during it.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Conduit for Sale! posted:

For those of you who don't listen to the podcast or haven't listened to the latest episode, this Thursday's show is Reggie Watts' farewell episode. I may cry during it.

Does anyone know the plan for the show after Reggie leaves? I can't imagine it without both Scott and Reggie.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

cjg posted:

Does anyone know the plan for the show after Reggie leaves? I can't imagine it without both Scott and Reggie.

The plan is to probably make 70 episodes next season to further dilute the product but still be cheap. And then cancel good shows. Not that I am bitter towards IFC or anything.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

cjg posted:

Kid Cudi is taking over Reggie's role.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

cjg posted:

Kid Cudi is taking over. He's in the next 20 episodes in season 4, and the show has already been renewed for a 20 episode 5th season.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Im just catching up on the last few episodes. I think like the last 3 reggie episodes were so perfect. John Gemberling's human trafficker was hilarious as was Karan Gillan. I also really liked Lauren Lapkis as the shaman.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really liked Cudi's first ep. It helped that Michael Cera was killing it the entire episode though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bown posted:

I really liked Cudi's first ep. It helped that Michael Cera was killing it the entire episode though.

"It's just some loving web series."

Cudi seems like a good fit, he's got a completely different energy from Reggie but one that seems complementary to Scott's style and the show's overall tone. I'm not feeling that new theme song just yet, though.

What is with IFC really pushing the "stoned 2 tha bone comedy :420: blaze it :350: " angle for CBB? As Scott would say, it's really not that kind of a show. Also, I would love to see the internal emails discussing why the ad copy says it is "Approved by" High Times rather than "Brought to you/Sponsored by."

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Cudi seems like a good fit, he's got a completely different energy from Reggie but one that seems complementary to Scott's style and the show's overall tone. I'm not feeling that new theme song just yet, though.

Agree with all of this.

I was expecting Cudi to be on the podcast sometime in the lead up to the show. Hopefully Scott gets him on soon.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Great ep

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I hope whoever came up with "The Shaking Head" was fired. and then immediately rehired.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
So, Cudi is way better than Reggie so far, right? I liked Reggie ok but Cudi's energy is a significantly better fit for the show imo.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Cudi is pretty great. I miss Reggie's almost surrealist approach to conversations, though.

edit: also his theme song

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Oh yeah Reggie's theme song was a million times better.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I love kudi, last ep wasnt great but all his others have been ace

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Kid Cudi is perfectly competent in the role, but the show lost the evergreen quality I think. They worked pretty hard to make any episode in season 4 look and 'feel' exactly like any episode in season 1, I've read that the commitment to timelessness was something they always worked on. Like, guests never plug projects, and they never discuss current events. The set is hard to date, maybe the 60s. The recent video quality is a bit better than it was 4 years ago but you need to see it side by side, and this may be from something IFC changed. The show is sort of soothing/comforting in that way. I re-watch it when I can't sleep or when I'm stressed actually, and I've always been a fan of the people behind the show.

I'm surprised they did a set redesign actually, and they didn't just phase Cudi in seamlessly (joke that Reggie shaved and Scott had been mispronouncing the his name again)- But I guess now is the time to do i if there ever was one. Would it have not been possible for Reggie to stay on the show? They must film each series in a month, and the late late show isn't exactly creatively draining musically from what I have seen. Is the LL show in NYC?

I'm not going to stop watching or not give Cudi the credit he deserves, he's a great choice and an undeniably talented guy. But Reggi is the best improv comedy music guy of our generation, he was one of the best things about cbbtv. I saw him a few times on Cordon now, I hope they use him more, he's so talented and I never pictured him doing something like late night. Reggie is a hard guy to replace.

What do you guys think? In 5 years would it have been better to look back at the 4 seasons intact with Reggie, or have it be 4 seasons and then one or two more season that looks very different?

As far as the theme song goes, it's just a theme song. Keeping the old one wouldn't be exactly fair to Cudi.

Edit; Here's how the old one was made if you haven't heard it. (4m30s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOf-IV8Pec

Umph fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 23, 2015

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Umph posted:

I'm surprised they did a set redesign actually. Would it have not been possible for Reggie to stay on the show? They must film each series in a month, and the late late show isn't exactly creatively draining musically from what I have seen. Is the LL show in NYC?

Since CBB is a sketch show more than a talk show, the shooting schedule is longer and more involved than your typical late night band leader gig (See Scott's asides on the CBB podcast about being on set early/working late, not to mention that they filmed forty episodes in a row at one point.) As you can probably tell from Reggie's typical energy, that schedule didn't really vibe with him. He was feeling burnt out and wanted to work on his own projects, and both he and Scott have said he was already leaving CBB before he was approached for the Late Late Show gig. Late Late Show films in LA as well, but I believe Reggie himself has said that he only has to be there for two or three hours a day, tops.

Cudi's theme song has grown on me, but I wish they could've switched up the opening animation as well. It's still jarring to hear this new tune with visuals I've already associated with a different sound.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

As you can probably tell from Reggie's typical energy, that schedule didn't really vibe with him. He was feeling burnt out and wanted to work on his own projects, and both he and Scott have said he was already leaving CBB before he was approached for the Late Late Show gig. Late Late Show films in LA as well, but I believe Reggie himself has said that he only has to be there for two or three hours a day, tops.

Yeah fair enough, he definitely deserves to work on new stuff. Sounds like he's have time for it now, I'm sure he'll come back as a guest in some creative ways. I would love to see more stuff like 'Bombs'.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

There's been a new episode as of last night, it wasn't advertised. I think they are stealth releasing another 5 episodes that were not originally planned for this season? CBB is one of my favorite shows on TV and it doesn't get much love.

Maybe being the kind of person that likes this show and being the kind of person that still has a cable subscription are mutually exclusive. They should go to netflix or work out some way to stream it with ads, or get a place people can pay to watch it when it airs. Having to wait a few weeks for it to get on amazon has got to be hurting sales and IFC requires a cable sub.

Umph fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 9, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There's nine more this season and I think they will be shown each week now. The forty episode season has had three breaks, one after each ten episodes, although I think this was the shortest one. It's already been recommissioned for a 20 ep season 5.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Seems like IFC would get a lot more viewers if they weren't so stingy with their content. Episodes on Amazon are a couple bucks each, there's nothing on Hulu, and I don't want to pay an extra $20 a month for whatever package Comcast requires to get IFC. Why don't you want me to watch your show IFC??

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Seems like IFC would get a lot more viewers if they weren't so stingy with their content. Episodes on Amazon are a couple bucks each, there's nothing on Hulu, and I don't want to pay an extra $20 a month for whatever package Comcast requires to get IFC. Why don't you want me to watch your show IFC??

Well, they did put it up at least today. $4.00 for a single 20 minute HD episode on a basic cable channel is a bit dear, though I have been buying them lately as not even release groups appear to be aware of the show. I have prime/plus/netflix subs so I am trying to meet content half way. Oh well. I think this is why IFC shows rarely take off. Portlandia is maybe the exception, but some of these shows are nothing short of genius (cbb, birthday boys, documentary now) and people are not seeing them for whatever reason.

I don't know. Even "Review" is probably cancelled and it was the best comedy on TV this year. There just isn't a way to have niche content on cable anymore if the niche you are aiming for is cutting edge comedy. I would pay for a la carte programming if it was streaming, and I would even tolerate advertising if it was reasonable.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are in an era where 80% of the intended audience for this stuff no longer has cable. CBB really deserves recognition because they have created and curated something really novel.

Umph fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 9, 2015

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What all goes into a channel being on basic cable? I imagine it's all about the contract they negotiate with whichever cable company, but I wonder why IFC isn't included in our basic cable. It's not like an HBO or Showtime where people will actually pay more specifically for it.

I'm in the same boat as you with my various subscriptions to streaming services, but IFC stuff is just not available until 6-12 months later when it shows up on Netflix. I've tried to resort to :files: but since nobody can actually watch the shows live, nobody puts up the torrent. I've heard Documentary Now is awesome, but have no way to see it, so there's no way I can see if it's worth buying a subscription for IFC... First world problems I guess.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Birthday Boys :smith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm catching up with CBB, and the last two episodes have featured Judy Greer and Ben Schwartz, and then Stephen Merchant and Rob Huebel.

I've always liked Judy Greer from Arrested Development, Archer, and countless nagging wife/best friend roles, but she was ADORABLE in her Bang Bang appearance. Hilarious, cute, and game for anything.

I'm also getting more into the CBB podcast, slowly making my way through episodes featuring guests I like. Sometimes they are really hit or miss, but sometimes they are comedy gold. I've really become a huge Hot Saucerman fan. I teach classes, and I find myself trying to mirror his delivery and some of his tossed-off one-liners.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 24, 2015

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Seems like whenever somebody is saying something completely ridiculous I find my self just following along and giving a few "mmhmm, mmhmm" Also "it's been a while!"

I'm sure it annoys the hell out of everybody I know, but it's like a reflex action at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Alright, next season they need to do an episode where Rodney Waber is the main guest. This year's appearance was way too short.

• Locked thread