Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
You probably got the sense that there is much more to the game than I was letting on. The Beast title is what you earn when by the time the end conflict is going down, none of the three factions will take you. To get any of the game's six endings, you need to be able to talk to people as well as cut them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSQ25GUg3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneefoil
May 10, 2014
I've never heard/read about this game before, but it does look pretty interesting. Definitely keeping my eye on this one.

The first video also convinced me that the red 'M' in the 'Samurai' of the title stands for 'bloody murder'.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Hm. This isn't the game I thought it was at first glance. Which one is it where pretty much every sword fight is, if not a one-hit kill, a one-hit horribly maim? For the PS1, I wanna say?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

FredMSloniker posted:

Hm. This isn't the game I thought it was at first glance. Which one is it where pretty much every sword fight is, if not a one-hit kill, a one-hit horribly maim? For the PS1, I wanna say?

That's Bushido Blade, and it was a really nonstandard fighting game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I've heard of a game called Bushido Blade which had more realistic sword fights, maybe that's it?

EDIT: Beaten.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The Bushido Blade games were awesome, even if the first one actually expecting you to follow the Bushido code made things a bit of a pain.

So with this playthrough, if you'd killed Inokashira at the bridge when you saw him would that have thrown a wrench in things? He would always start a fight with me and die when I met him in playthroughs but it never seemed to really affect anything.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

So wait.

This takes place in the Meiji period right?

Then why is Nobunaga running around? Or am I thinking of the wrong Nobunaga...

(For the record, Meiji Japan is 1868 to 1912, and is most noted for the industrial revolution hitting japan. Nobunaga was a warlord from over 200 years prior)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Calax posted:

This takes place in the Meiji period right?

Then why is Nobunaga running around? Or am I thinking of the wrong Nobunaga...

People in the thread who've mentioned Nobunaga are talking about other games in the same series.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ah, ok.

Confused the heck out of me.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In short:

This game takes place during the Satsuma Rebeliion in the Meiji Period.

Way of the Samurai 2 takes place several years earlier. I don't have a specific number, but you can meet younger versions of Dojima, Tsubohachi, and the tutorial lady. And I think one of the endings mentions Commodore Perry arriving in the Bay of Edo.

Way of the Samurai 3 takes place in the Sengoku Period when Nobunaga is just stomping all over everything.

And Way of the Samurai 4 takes place in 1855, allowing you to interact with the British Navy.

e: The swordsmith is always Dojima in every game (To the point of being twin brothers in 3), but I'm fairly sure the one in 2 is explicitly the same as the one in 1.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 12, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dareon posted:

In short:

This game takes place during the Satsuma Rebeliion in the Meiji Period.

Way of the Samurai 2 takes place several years earlier. I don't have a specific number, but you can meet younger versions of Dojima, Tsubohachi, and the tutorial lady. And I think one of the endings mentions Commodore Perry arriving in the Bay of Edo.

Way of the Samurai 3 takes place in the Sengoku Period when Nobunaga is just stomping all over everything.

And Way of the Samurai 4 takes place in 1855, allowing you to interact with the British Navy.

e: The swordsmith is always Dojima in every game (To the point of being twin brothers in 3), but I'm fairly sure the one in 2 is explicitly the same as the one in 1.

Way of the Samurai 4 might as well take place on an alien planet.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I want to visit the planet J.J. is from, then.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dareon posted:

Tesshin is also in WotS2, running the dojo.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is this going to be like a Dynasty Warriors/long running Koei games thread where people who are veterans of the series are going to be talking about things and characters later that will confuse newcomers like myself? I hate when that happens :(

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is this going to be like a Dynasty Warriors/long running Koei games thread where people who are veterans of the series are going to be talking about things and characters later that will confuse newcomers like myself? I hate when that happens :(

Well there's only 4 main entries, and then the spin-off which takes place in the Wild West.

Basically each of them have entirely different settings and plots, but all seem to keep the unison idea that you're a Samurai and can go around doing whatever you please. You'll most likely die a lot figuring out what to do, but that happens.

Stopwatch Crash
Sep 30, 2008
I think the other way (that we haven't seen) of getting tied to the train tracks is funnier, but still, that's one hell of a miscommunication. I wonder if the Japanese version says something other than "Let me join you!" there... I don't remember anything being badly translated, but there's always a chance, right?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If anything, it's the people who played some of the games but not all of them that are going to be confusing each other.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
We continue on the path of the samurai elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkv9V8QC0vw

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I no longer have a PS2, but this LP is really bringing back memories. Is there any other way to play this?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Way of the Samurai works great on PCSX2.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Which needs a BIOS file from a PS2. Which I don't have in order to get a BIOS file.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, i know the problem. Luckily, i have a way around that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Stopwatch Crash posted:

I think the other way (that we haven't seen) of getting tied to the train tracks is funnier, but still, that's one hell of a miscommunication. I wonder if the Japanese version says something other than "Let me join you!" there... I don't remember anything being badly translated, but there's always a chance, right?

I think it's more like "Woah, this guy doesn't even know what's going on, and he is eager for a chance to rough up a random girl? Tie that scum to the tracks and take his lunch money."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That fight with Mr. Spandex Bodysuit is hard even with a good sword, he's probably number 3 or 4 in terms of difficulty. Of course since 80% of that is his sword, once you've earned that and worked with it a bit, you get to be almost as broken as he is, if not moreso.

Although, since WotS 2 and 3 include the unique swords from the previous games (In some form, I recall being able to build the Samehada-tou out of parts in 3) and stack on a dozen more besides, I have to assume that 4 does the same, and then wonder how difficult it is to get some of the ones from earlier games.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dareon posted:

Although, since WotS 2 and 3 include the unique swords from the previous games (In some form, I recall being able to build the Samehada-tou out of parts in 3) and stack on a dozen more besides, I have to assume that 4 does the same, and then wonder how difficult it is to get some of the ones from earlier games.

Yes to that for WotS4. Honestly it sometimes feels like some of the swords are as much recurring characters as the actual human characters are. Although, specific swords matter less in WotS4 since they split the weapon/moveset link (Aside from a few movesets requiring you to use a given weapon to master them).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
This game feels like it could make a pretty awesome choose-your-own-adventure book. It's fairly constrained in both time and space, but there's a lot of branching within those limits.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This is kind of a weird question, but is there any particular reason you're using the Victor Harris translation beyond it being easily available on Archive.org?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This series has always been interesting to me. Glad to see someone playing this knowing what they're doing :neckbeard:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

This is kind of a weird question, but is there any particular reason you're using the Victor Harris translation beyond it being easily available on Archive.org?

Do you mean the english the game uses? Or is Kaz using a translation of something else?

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Do you mean the english the game uses? Or is Kaz using a translation of something else?

I assume he's referring to the Book of Five Rings quotes at the start of each video.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Onmi posted:

Well there's only 4 main entries, and then the spin-off which takes place in the Wild West.
Yeah, WotS 4 was crazy, but the spin off still beats that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I lost it at 'Is your name @samurai_ebooks-san?'

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
We do not have enough soldiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMRwDoUVUCA

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Musashi's Five rings book is just basically 'just do these obvious things dumbass' when it comes to battle tactics.
And it's great because of that.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Musashi's Five rings book is just basically 'just do these obvious things dumbass' when it comes to battle tactics.
And it's great because of that.

Sun Tzu's Art of War is much the same. It's literally Warfare for Dummies.

No I'm not somewhat bitter at that discovery at all.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's still good to have that written down, though. I mean, how many idiots have you seen in shootymans games that don't know about driving the enemy into unsound battle positions?

I had forgotten how goddamn majestic the government army fight music is.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dareon posted:

It's still good to have that written down, though. I mean, how many idiots have you seen in shootymans games that don't know about driving the enemy into unsound battle positions?

Oh absolutely. There's enough real life examples of Military Commanders making incredibly stupid blunders that I see the need for it. I was just saying that I'd heard all these great things about the Art of War, and how it's a celebrated cultural piece, and then I pick it up and discover such great wisdom as "It's totally a bad idea to fight where the enemy wants you to fight, Bro. You should make the enemy fight where you want to fight." and "While we're on the topic of How To Win, we should probably talk about what you do when you lose. Because you might lose, and you should totally have a plan for that. Seriously, don't fight somewhere you don't have a line of retreat."

I guess that's just par for the course for Humanity though. One of the most celebrated Generals in history is still just some guy saying "Oh my god, how do I explain this poo poo to you clueless fucks? I guess I need to start with the assumption that you have no common sense and no clue what the hell you are doing, and work up from there?"

Huh. After getting that out I actually feel better about it, and I think I understand Sun Tzu a bit more. Thinking about it, and how it's written (as though he's communicating these concepts to a child), I wonder how his contemporaries reacted to it? Was he respected enough that other commanders only grumbled a bit but took the lessons to heart; or was he marginalized for his non-traditional approach to warfare? People like that typically aren't appreciated in their own time.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dareon posted:

Also, keep in mind that your officers are probably noblemen who have never been in a campaign before in their life and are convinced they know more about war than any dumb peasant. They really need a basic text about how not to gently caress up war.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

Brutal Heart is definitely the one song that immediately springs to my mind whenever I think of this game, to be sure. Something about the horn section just stuck with me, to the point where I just thought of it as the fight music for the game instead of the actual generic fight music.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My favorite bit of advice from the Art of War basically boils down to 'Be really careful setting poo poo on fire because fire has no sense of loyalty.'

I thought that was a pretty fitting ending, though, with the Meji government running you down despite your furious defiance and last, heroic battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
The game actually does keep track of opponent's durability, there's one opponent in particular who is extremely hard unless you make him break his sword (when you pick up an opponent's broken sword it automatically gives you one durability, so you still get a usable sword). I think the regular mooks attack in a way that their durability gauge stays relatively low.

• Locked thread