Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I think, losing the durability/heat gauge and replacing it with simple HP was one of the dumber changes in WotS4. Swapping out "be careful with the sword" for "carry lots of lubricant" really didn't improve the pace, especially in big battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Aaaaaah! Kaz, you didn't use Issen! It's great, you should use it! :supaburn:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 16, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
see Way of the Samurai is not a LONG game, but it's good that way, you can get endings in about an hour, but the fun is being an Immortal Time Looping Samurai searching for the true ending.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

I think, losing the durability/heat gauge and replacing it with simple HP was one of the dumber changes in WotS4. Swapping out "be careful with the sword" for "carry lots of lubricant" really didn't improve the pace, especially in big battles.

Number one bad change right there. You can make swords unbreakable but it's a loving grind unless you luck out and kill an invader and he's got an unbreakable on him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shima Honnou posted:

Number one bad change right there. You can make swords unbreakable but it's a loving grind unless you luck out and kill an invader and he's got an unbreakable on him.

better or worse than WoTS system of "Level the sword up to 50 and it's unbreakable"?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I just realized this game is composed by the same man responsible for the Tenchu series.

wowziez

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Onmi posted:

better or worse than WoTS system of "Level the sword up to 50 and it's unbreakable"?

Worse because gently caress having to break and repair a sword 100 times to make it unbreakable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Worse because gently caress having to break and repair a sword 100 times to make it unbreakable.

Wow yeah... In 3 you really just get one sword to 50, master Dual-Wielding because the moveset is independent of the swords, and forge the biggest poo poo-kicker blades that you can.

And, if you're feeling particularly murderous, go kill 1000 guys with each blade (Easy Read: loving TEDIOUS doing the redemption missions, which you can bounce between easily with Ouka and Fujimori Clan) and give them the Bloodthirsty appraisal.

My Unbreakable 300+ Attack swords will cleave through ALL EVIL.

Of course to get some of the best parts you have to get your murder on, The mysterious green dude and the weasle ninja both have very good parts.

and of course, you must be careful about weight, your swords must weigh 0 to be as fast as possible. And get them as much quality as possible.

After that, it all depends on how loving crazy you are with the Save-Scumming, since you can use Random improvements to get +15 in Attack (and defense, but really attack is important) for each bit of quality. leading to a 180 boost with the parts I use, Plus Bloodthirsty is 280, plus the base sword components...

all I'm saying is that while I did it once, never again.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What it sounds like you're saying is that your blade can cut through armor and still slice a tomato :orks101:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Neruz posted:

What it sounds like you're saying is that your blade can cut through armor and still slice a tomato :orks101:

Well there's vegetable and fish cutting mini-games. In fact one of the best ways to level up swords is to do the Tuna mini-game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

RickVoid posted:

Oh absolutely. There's enough real life examples of Military Commanders making incredibly stupid blunders that I see the need for it. I was just saying that I'd heard all these great things about the Art of War, and how it's a celebrated cultural piece, and then I pick it up and discover such great wisdom as "It's totally a bad idea to fight where the enemy wants you to fight, Bro. You should make the enemy fight where you want to fight." and "While we're on the topic of How To Win, we should probably talk about what you do when you lose. Because you might lose, and you should totally have a plan for that. Seriously, don't fight somewhere you don't have a line of retreat."

I guess that's just par for the course for Humanity though. One of the most celebrated Generals in history is still just some guy saying "Oh my god, how do I explain this poo poo to you clueless fucks? I guess I need to start with the assumption that you have no common sense and no clue what the hell you are doing, and work up from there?"

Huh. After getting that out I actually feel better about it, and I think I understand Sun Tzu a bit more. Thinking about it, and how it's written (as though he's communicating these concepts to a child), I wonder how his contemporaries reacted to it? Was he respected enough that other commanders only grumbled a bit but took the lessons to heart; or was he marginalized for his non-traditional approach to warfare? People like that typically aren't appreciated in their own time.

It's important to remember that you are viewing this from an unprecedented level of education in Human history; Humans have only really been waging what could be described as 'War' for maybe a hundred thousand years and over the last ~4000 or so (and especially during the last 500) of those years War has changed dramatically and extremely quickly. To us with our vast reserves of human knowledge built up over four thousand years and digitized to be available at a moment's notice and our years of early life where we literally need to do nothing more than exist and soak up knowledge instead of worrying about important poo poo it seems like these things are just basic common sense.

But they're only common sense if you're in that position; if you don't have those years of schooling, if you lack the knowledge base of history then those things aren't common sense at all. Remember that for the vast majority of human history 'wars' were fought primarily between roaming tribal groups and primarily compromised standing opposite and screaming at each other for a bit followed by a brief but brutal melee before one side got scared and ran away. We had been fighting like that for tens of thousands of years and that is the kind of fight our instincts tell us we should persue, that's the kind of fight we want to have.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shima Honnou posted:

Why would you loving bother? There're way better titles in 4 (the best one is bugged, unfortunately), and there's an item which makes your sword indestructible for five minutes anyway.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

RickVoid posted:

I think I understand Sun Tzu a bit more. Thinking about it, and how it's written (as though he's communicating these concepts to a child), I wonder how his contemporaries reacted to it? Was he respected enough that other commanders only grumbled a bit but took the lessons to heart; or was he marginalized for his non-traditional approach to warfare? People like that typically aren't appreciated in their own time.
Sun Tzu didn't have contemporaries because he didn't exist; unfortunately, we don't know who actually did write The Art of War or when.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My uncle did. He's a really cool guy, works at Nintendo.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

Sun Tzu didn't have contemporaries because he didn't exist; unfortunately, we don't know who actually did write The Art of War or when.

Just curious, do you have a source for that? Everything I can find says that we have documents written by Sun Tzu, but we're unable to properly date them.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Just curious, do you have a source for that? Everything I can find says that we have documents written by Sun Tzu, but we're unable to properly date them.

Samuel B. Griffith, in the essays that preface his translation (you have to put a lot of filler in an edition of The Art of War since the actual text is like 60 pages long tops.) To be fair he doesn't actually claim that Sun Tzu didn't exist but he does present some pretty compelling evidence both from history and from the text itself that it was actually written several hundred years after the traditional date.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Anime Reference posted:

Samuel B. Griffith, in the essays that preface his translation (you have to put a lot of filler in an edition of The Art of War since the actual text is like 60 pages long tops.) To be fair he doesn't actually claim that Sun Tzu didn't exist but he does present some pretty compelling evidence both from history and from the text itself that it was actually written several hundred years after the traditional date.

Isn't there a similar thing with Lao-tzu?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

RickVoid posted:

Oh absolutely. There's enough real life examples of Military Commanders making incredibly stupid blunders that I see the need for it. I was just saying that I'd heard all these great things about the Art of War, and how it's a celebrated cultural piece, and then I pick it up and discover such great wisdom as "It's totally a bad idea to fight where the enemy wants you to fight, Bro. You should make the enemy fight where you want to fight." and "While we're on the topic of How To Win, we should probably talk about what you do when you lose. Because you might lose, and you should totally have a plan for that. Seriously, don't fight somewhere you don't have a line of retreat."

I don't think that we, today, fully appreciate just how much we do know about military tactics and strategy. I remember in one of the threads discussing WWII the story of how a veteran in the UK was alarmed when he read some of his kids' Warhammer 40k rules because they talked about actual tactics. That sounds silly, right? 40k isn't anything like a realistic simulation. But for prior generations, they didn't even necessarily know the terminology and concepts of things like flanking, cover, morale, or artillery support in any codified way. Hell, many conscripts in earlier European/American wars didn't even know how firearms worked unless they had a background that involved hunting - and I'm not talking the technical elements (I've certainly never fired a gun), I'm talking about the basic concept of what they do when you point them and pull the trigger.

In the internet age, and particularly with gaming, we're constantly bombarded by concepts that - even if inaccurate! - get the general point across. So yeah, an awful lot of historical writing (and not just about warfare) read as incredibly basic today.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It is very, very easy if you are in a position of wealth to forget just how utterly and completely internet access revolutionizes human communications and knowledge. Nothing like it has ever existed before in the history of forever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's also worth noting that these seminal works are not necessarily notable for their timeless wisdom, but because they are historically significant. Journey to the West isn't a timeless story that anyone can relate to. It's a good story, but you can read better ones today. What's notable is that Journey to the West is one of the first epic-scale fiction tales that was written down and distributed.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
And, you know, the history of introducing Buddhism to east Asia.

Edit: and it wasn't written down.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Journey to the West is still a drat good story.

What other story has a primal creature announce himself greater than heaven and then piss on the Buddhas hands?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Anyone who doesn't think the Monkey King was a great character is objectively wrong.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Coolguye posted:

Anyone who doesn't think the Monkey King was a great character is objectively wrong.

Sun Wukong remains one of the best characters ever created in fiction.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Which is why you should always play him in Warriors Orochi.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Calax posted:

sure, whenever you're not playing as Nobunaga.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Calax posted:

Warriors Orochi Sun Wukong was such an rear end in a top hat with his amazing moveset.

but Wukong versus Lu Bu versus Yoshitune was kind of amazing.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
If the Akamdama clan wasn't good enough to defeat the government, maybe the Kurou family will be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hd0sjWHiIA

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
Thanks everybody for the good discussion so far. Time for me to answer some of your questions.

Neruz posted:

Oh my god, Kaz please tell me you are playing the entire series I need to see this.

So way am I doing the whole series. I'll see how I feel about things and maybe do 2. I'm willing to open up the thread to other submissions if anyone else wants to elpee the later titles. It would be my first megathread and I want to try that out.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I wanted to do a LP of this game years ago, but had enough of dealing with interlacing. I'm pretty happy to see someone picking it up though.

Will you be taking any challenges after you're done with what you set out to do?

I have a plan for ten recordings, some of those are flexible. If you have something you want to see done in the game, I'm open to suggestions.

Mr. Maltose posted:

This is kind of a weird question, but is there any particular reason you're using the Victor Harris translation beyond it being easily available on Archive.org?

No reason at all! I do not own a physical copy of that book, so I needed to find another source, and why not use the one I can hyperlink people to?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

My Name Is Kaz posted:

I have a plan for ten recordings, some of those are flexible. If you have something you want to see done in the game, I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, my challenge would be pretty difficult. Hard mode, starting sword (no upgrades or unlocked moves), any ending other than death or leaving the pass. You may upgrade the sword in any way during the game with the exception of using the 'Nothing in Particular' option.

I've beaten the game like this before and I found it to be a pretty good challenge, but its extremely difficult as you can imagine. If you only plan on ten videos then I understand if you don't want to try this out.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
Shiretoko is not quite a battle wizard, he has yet to use any lasers.

(You owe it to yourself to look up what Battle Wizard is and then open palm slam it into your brain every day)

Gnomebitten fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 19, 2014

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk

ProfessorBooty posted:

Oh, my challenge would be pretty difficult. Hard mode, starting sword (no upgrades or unlocked moves), any ending other than death or leaving the pass. You may upgrade the sword in any way during the game with the exception of using the 'Nothing in Particular' option.

I've beaten the game like this before and I found it to be a pretty good challenge, but its extremely difficult as you can imagine. If you only plan on ten videos then I understand if you don't want to try this out.

The last time I attempted this challenge I was after a specific weapon, and almost made it. I should do this just to show how hard it is, methinks. Quest accepted.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

My Name Is Kaz posted:

So way am I doing the whole series. I'll see how I feel about things and maybe do 2. I'm willing to open up the thread to other submissions if anyone else wants to elpee the later titles. It would be my first megathread and I want to try that out.

Would it be a stricly Samurai megathread or would the Shinobido games be fair game as well?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Akujiki posted:

Would it be a stricly Samurai megathread or would the Shinobido games be fair game as well?
The original Shinobido would be massive itself.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SelenicMartian posted:

The original Shinobido would be massive itself.

Would that make this a supermegathread? Or perhaps a gigathread?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gnomebitten posted:

Shiretoko is not quite a battle wizard, he has yet to use any lasers.

(You owe it to yourself to look up what Battle Wizard is and then open palm slam it into your brain every day)

Yeah, Shiretoko's pretty strong but he's neither a demi-god or a semi-devil.

My Name Is Kaz
Dec 17, 2007

Gurk
Won't someone please think of the children?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDHwJ1McRDk

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"You have bested my baby boy in battle. Here is 50 yen."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I just wanted to bring up somehting that Kaz mentioned in the last video that I really liked about this game specifically; enemies (Named enemies, that is, not the generics) all have different fighting inclinations. I'm sorry Kaz hasn't fought Tsubohachi yet, because if you've seen him fight, the difference between him and Shiretoko is night and goddamned day. Shiretoko is pretty composed, often keeping his distance and using longer range moves to whittle you down. When he does move into close range, he's quick to guard and often tries to parry (pull) you.

Conversely, Tsubohachi is aggressive (this is compounded by his sword's lack of any really long range attacks), getting in close to use his more powerful close range moves, guarding far less often and almost never parrying, instead trying to overpower your guard (pushing). The other characters are all similarly unique in their approach to combat, but most people probably recognize it in Tsubohachi first, because the game gives you a lot of opportunities to fight him.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
Not you, the pieces.

• Locked thread