Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I am the Alpha and the Omega.

Shine posted:

Run Die, human.

:colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
looks a little like a slightly cleaner Hawken to me, which may not be a bad thing. not sure how I feel about super desaturated/realistic visuals in a goofy scifi arena fps, but I can't wait to give it a shot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

notlodar posted:

you mother fuckers I have been waiting 10 years for this. Every other FPS is a twilight shadow compared to Unreal Tournament's total eclipse of the heart.

Here's a video they released yesterday that apparently none of you care about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0OCzVqjOU

:hellyeah: It has been a long time old friend.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've played probably 2 or 3 hours of this pre-alpha tonight. It's real fun. I'm fairly rusty at it because I haven't played a good twitch shooter like this in a long time, but man, it's bringing me back to the days of UT99 in a very good way. The gameplay is loving fast and chaotic as all hell, just as you might remember from the original.

The Enforcer and Impact Hammer pretty much don't do poo poo, though, and you have to find a new weapon after spawning or you're dead. I think I remember the Enforcer being at least a little more powerful in UT99, but I'm not sure. The Link Gun in this loving rules, as does the Flak Cannon.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have signed up for an account and downloaded the launcher. It keeps giving me an error when trying to download the game though? Asks if I'm connected to the net? It has full permissions on my firewall.

Any suggestions?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just got a PC together again after abstaining from PC gaming for about 7 years. I've missed UT. This is sweet.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:hellyeah: It has been a long time old friend.
:hellyeah: Hell yeah, gently caress riding off into the sunset.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've played probably 2 or 3 hours of this pre-alpha tonight. It's real fun. I'm fairly rusty at it because I haven't played a good twitch shooter like this in a long time, but man, it's bringing me back to the days of UT99 in a very good way. The gameplay is loving fast and chaotic as all hell, just as you might remember from the original.

The Enforcer and Impact Hammer pretty much don't do poo poo, though, and you have to find a new weapon after spawning or you're dead. I think I remember the Enforcer being at least a little more powerful in UT99, but I'm not sure. The Link Gun in this loving rules, as does the Flak Cannon.
I suck real bad but managed to get a multi kill with the impact hammer.

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction
Movement still feels a bit restricted compared to 2kx and the weapon switch is painfully slow, but I'm 5ish hours in and it's a lot of fun. I'm honestly impressed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dual enforcers were pretty similar to a minigun but the altfire was super inaccurate. Dual assault rifles in UT2k4 are kinda halfway in between normal and altfire minigun, which can be nice with the grenades backing it up. Using them singly is pretty desperate, though.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

nullpunkt posted:

Movement still feels a bit restricted compared to 2kx and the weapon switch is painfully slow, but I'm 5ish hours in and it's a lot of fun. I'm honestly impressed.

I wish there was a double jump

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I don't think single enforcers were ever viable but dual was fun if you didn't have anything else.

I know the guy in charge of dual enforcers so I'll give him hell if they suck. :v:

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

I wish there was a double jump

Double and dodge jump are not going to happen from what I've read so I'd settle for some altitude gain when wall dodging.

Bio primary is still as useless as ever, link and mini are kinda fulfilling the same purpose, sniper rifle is basically the lightning gun but way less cool and the RL is wrong .. somehow. Still fun. I hope we'll get hitsounds soon, I need that satisfying "ping" when hitting something!

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

nullpunkt posted:

Double and dodge jump are not going to happen from what I've read so I'd settle for some altitude gain when wall dodging.

Bio primary is still as useless as ever, link and mini are kinda fulfilling the same purpose, sniper rifle is basically the lightning gun but way less cool and the RL is wrong .. somehow. Still fun. I hope we'll get hitsounds soon, I need that satisfying "ping" when hitting something!

That's disappointing, I'd like some more air control. Liked what I played otherwise

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
They dropped the lightning gun!?!?

loving ut99 fans are the scum of this earth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is the rocket launcher closer to the UT2k4 one or the UT3 one?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is the rocket launcher closer to the UT2k4 one or the UT3 one?

I never played much UT3 but it has a lockon homing feature and loaded rockets fire in a fairly straight forward burst rather than a fan spray all at once. It and the flak cannon feel a lot slower than in UT2k4.

16 years later and pubby CTF-Face is still half the team camping the loving ground on the side of the base :allears:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 8, 2015

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
This game is amazing.....

I grew up on UTGOTY (nee' 99), it was "my game", UT2k4 was different but ~ok~ but never quite had the simplistic charm that GOTY had.

The pre-alpha oozes that classic feel, it's like drinking original Coke once as a child, only to then be given Coke new for the rest of your life until they decide to go back to the original formula..... then give it to you for free forever. This game is making me want to get back into twitch shooters. :magical:

So what I'm saying is, does anygoon want to play this, can we get some kind of regular pubstomping cru going on like in days of old? I want people to play this game with.

Yeti Fiasco fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 8, 2015

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

That's disappointing, I'd like some more air control. Liked what I played otherwise

Some moves to keep in mind: You can chain wall dodges and stick to a wall after a jump or dodge while conserving momentum by holding left shift.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Either the server browser is busted or I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I haven't messed with it but going off the Giant Bomb video a couple days ago, it looks like Lobbies>Sub Lobbies. They never made it further than that though so I don't actually know.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I go in to have a few quick matches. The launcher wants me to update it. Update. Please Wait... Update. Again. Does nothing. I hate this launcher bullshit so loving much. Is there any way to launch the game directly? Just starting UE4Game-Win64-Test.exe doesn't work because it can't find some descriptor file.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mobby_6kl posted:

So I go in to have a few quick matches. The launcher wants me to update it. Update. Please Wait... Update. Again. Does nothing. I hate this launcher bullshit so loving much. Is there any way to launch the game directly? Just starting UE4Game-Win64-Test.exe doesn't work because it can't find some descriptor file.

It looks like they did release a new version today.
You might check out what they say to do. I haven't tried playing today as I'm not at home.
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?15800-New-playable-pre-alpha-build-posted-3-9-2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Right click on the launcher icon and click properties. At the end of the Target path, add: " -http=wininet" without the quotes, then apply and restart your Launcher.

This worked for me.

If not check here https://forums.unrealtournament.com/forumdisplay.php?61-Windows-Troubleshooting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Either the server browser is busted or I have no idea how it's supposed to work.
It has this 'lobby-sublobby' system, hubs, and works kind-of wonky, if you ask me, but I've never seen server browser with folders (or are those symlinks :confused:) before, not in an unaltered state of mind at least. What you want to do is (top-left) "Play" -> "Find a game..." and then there you should have, on top of the list (hopefully), "[Internet] Individual Servers", which is what you want. I haven't picked up if there is state-based filtering in the 'server-server browser', so further on I just sort by players and look for good ping.

Hub idea, in theory of a decent UT popularity, makes sense in terms of letting groups of various interests and skill levels organize themselves (or to be organized). Now, though, barely any hub reaches any population, which though is understandable.

What wonders me is how far can UT get in terms of acceptance and popularity. Maybe the arena shooter genre will finally make it's return, relatively speaking.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kalstrams posted:

What wonders me is how far can UT get in terms of acceptance and popularity. Maybe the arena shooter genre will finally make it's return, relatively speaking.

Be free to play, advertise well, have an established fanbase, appear on Steam. Having good gameplay helps but isn't necessary. Isn't the UT announcer in DOTA2 or something? Things like that really help out.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Be free to play, advertise well, have an established fanbase, appear on Steam. Having good gameplay helps but isn't necessary. Isn't the UT announcer in DOTA2 or something? Things like that really help out.
The multi-kill and kill streak lines were used in the original dota as, tons of other games at the time did. Apparently Valve asked Epic if they could keep using them for Dota 2 and they said "sure whatever". Who knows how many people realize what the original source was.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

The multi-kill and kill streak lines were used in the original dota as, tons of other games at the time did. Apparently Valve asked Epic if they could keep using them for Dota 2 and they said "sure whatever". Who knows how many people realize what the original source was.
The long-standing name for them, at least where I come from, is "Quake sounds".

My thoughts, maybe slightly more generalised, if we throw on top player-player interaction in terms of itemization.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

kalstrams posted:

The long-standing name for them, at least where I come from, is "Quake sounds".
The weird thing is that Quake 3 had its own announcer and he was like a really poor imitation of the UT announcer.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

BOOOOOSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

This game is fantastic. It's everything I want out of an Unreal Tournament game plus the ease of making maps in the UE4 editor. A+++ would shock combo again.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I really want to see if they end up adding any new weapons to the game like their training teases. Anyone with a pulse on the community dev know if there are some front runners?

Also they really should add the lightning gun back in even if it's just a sniper rifle skin. They did the same drat thing.

e: although I seem to remember the lightning gun having a wider hit area

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Have they said anything about Onslaught? 2k4 had fun vehicle combat. UT3 hosed it up but I want to give them another shot.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

That's the critical part. I almost didn't bother with this because of the Epic Games Launcher poo poo, publishers should just swallow their pride and accept that Steam is already the only launcher anyone wants or needs.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Double Bill posted:

That's the critical part. I almost didn't bother with this because of the Epic Games Launcher poo poo, publishers should just swallow their pride and accept that Steam is already the only launcher anyone wants or needs.

What is this, 2005? Get over yourself.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Double Bill posted:

It's not about pride it's about the 30% cut for all transactions they will have to give to valve.

My guess is they will copy the common strategy of go alone for a certain amount of time and when the player level starts to stagnate then push onto steam.

old man on a horse
Dec 27, 2014

I don't waste my magic on just anything
steam should run for president imho

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's good for Steam to have competition, I just wish that any of the competitors whatsoever (beyond, like, GOG who don't really serve the same purpose) were competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

More competition is good, but in the meanwhile Steam is the largest distribution channel for PC games on the planet, and I'd love to see this game succeed.

• Locked thread