Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Wow I forgot how cool the UT99 soundtrack is. I love that synth, it just fits the arena shooter so well!

I think that Xan design is cool and all but I always pictured that particular character as a beefy robo-knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Organs posted:

Unless you plan on making the 3D model yourself, you're wasting your time drawing character designs because they could be completely different to the art style that Epic ends up using for the game. That's the big problem with the community focus right now, is that nobody knows what art style the game will have and currently everybody is just throwing around all kinds of ideas that clash.

I decided to try now since the guys at Epic are actually commenting on the things people create. I'm kinda hoping they'll do the same on this when it's further along.

BloodWulfe posted:

I had to look up a reference to refresh my memory. The '99 version doesn't exactly have a lot of polygonal detail, but it looks solid to me. It looks a lot more sleek relative to the 2003/2004 versions I saw. Less bulky armor parts on the ankles, elbows, and wrists. Overall the armor seems slimmed down.

I don't know if you're going for pure authenticity or not, and I have no idea what input the community actually has in established character model creation, but I like it.

Yeah, authenticity be damned. I had a huge sheet of all his models to go by, but... they're really quite messy. the only truly defining features you could get was large shoulders and the swept-back head. the 2k4 version also has tons of cylinders, which looks pretty cool and is good for filling space without overloading on details. The idea is to play after these 3 things, as well as a bit of Mortar Headds (Five Star Stories) inspiration for the proportions and general shape of the figure. Hopefully this makes him look fast and agile.
Also had a few people comment that his head looks like a stretched out Sega Genesis, which is really funny, haha.

It works well so far, but we'll see how it goes with the back shot and finally orthographic views.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
The original was a very "let's add bulky armor and pointy cylindrical sections" 90s aesthetic. I like the slimmed down design.

By the by I found an old ut2k4 video a few months ago. I have no clue why I rendered it as 360p, 4:3, and 30fps, but it's 10~ years old and there probably aren't a lot of video relics from r1ch's old ut2k4 server.

It even has the built-in text-to-speech enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtKatKePzSY

It's also not the only old ut2k4 toilet race video I found which is even weirder. I must have raced a lot of toilets back in the day.

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

The UT forums are about as useful for critique as a brick wall. anybody got thoughts on this? I'm taking a wild stab at Xan Kriegor's design and I wanted some opinions.

it looks like you took xan's head and basically pasted it onto a liandri robot body from 2k4

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

closeted republican posted:

Here's my thoughts on hitscan in UT games: If you're going to make it hitscan heavy, hire the Ballistic Weapons guys and allow them to make the hitscan weapons. Seriously, they did a perfect job with making hitscan weapons fun and not just "point your crosshair at someone, hit the fire button, and you win!".

There is no gun in that mod that isn't awesome to use, everything from the rifles to the shotguns had perfect range and damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Regarding the Xan redesign, while I like it on its own, the original Xan design was bulky and heavy and lent something of a brutish personality to the character. He was this menacing future-gladiator, and the old body-type fit that quite well. Like somebody else already said, the sketch is reminiscent of a Liandri robot: a lot more lithe and elegant, but Xan strikes me as a guy who crushes skulls with his huge mitts and clomps through the arena like a metal juggernaut.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Xan owns because his helmet has a spoiler.

Or a handle.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Pom posted:

I like it. We need to get away from the meathead character design that GoW and UT3 emphasised.

The robot player models were fine in UT3 though I think. But then they also weren't proportioned with flesh and blood.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Playable builds are out.

https://ut.rushbase.net/raxxy/Builds - Windows, torrent download only. Tracker seems to not be working for now.

https://ut.rushbase.net/rush - Linux, direct download

Have at it!

E: These trackers work:

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80

udp://tracker.istole.it:6969

udp://tracker.ccc.de:80

udp://open.demonii.com:1337

Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 13, 2014

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Baggins posted:

Playable builds are out.

I'm in the IRC, and apparently roxxy releasing that has sparked a bit of a poo poo-storm. They've pulled all download build access, even from their IRC channel (which was putting out the latest one up before every gaming site in the world started saying UT4 is playable and linked his directory as an official source).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
...why? What, are you allowed access to the Unreal Tournament source code but not actually allowed to compile it for people? What's the harm? The game is going to be free anyway and the only people downloading it are people either really into game dev or really into UT.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
They've been fighting in the IRC channel this morning about it. The basic idea is that all these blogs basically said "WOW GO PLAY IT NOW" and those with the project don't think it's ready for viral exposure yet, especially since the screenshot floating around is from a level that's not in the build, and none of the maps in the build have textures (apart from Deck, which has some texturing).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Gotcha. Yeah if people are posting as if it's in any sort of done state then that's just lovely.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've played that build, it's pretty good for being so early. The movement feels a lot like 2k4, which is a good thing. I jumped into a server and the lag was terrible, but there are probably good reasons for that. Still totally playable.

Menu options are very lacking right now. I had to type 'invertmouse' into the console to get that working. Motion blur is on by default, and I couldn't find any way to switch it off.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I pressed Enter but I couldn't get the crazy running guy to spawn. :saddowns:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Are they going to have UT's famous bots in this new game? In the 15'ish years I've been playing UT games, I've done like 99% compstomps.

Did anybody ever try those UT2004 bots that passed the Turing test?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shine posted:

Are they going to have UT's famous bots in this new game? In the 15'ish years I've been playing UT games, I've done like 99% compstomps.

Did anybody ever try those UT2004 bots that passed the Turing test?

I read of someone that loaded those bots. They're a giant pain in the rear end to install and use, while the payoff is a bunch of Jakobs that are slightly smarter than the stock UT2k4 bots.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I tried the pre-alpha last night but it was so laggy I could only get some kills with the flak cannon. It's definitely UT though, and I hope it turns out well.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I've been playing the latest build of this. It's really quite fun. There is now an unofficial launcher/server browser that lets you tweak graphics, player name, colour and things. Its quite good. The game has been a blast to play, and took me right back to UT99 (mostly because the levels are outright conversions of the UT99 levels, but that's hardly a bad thing.

Sure its prealpha as gently caress, but if they keep it feeling this way, I'm sold. I'll buy whatever DLC/Levels/F2P gimmick they put in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5n-HPyujbg

My first two matches.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 28, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Just saw this thread and foudn out abotu this. I am ridiculously excited, I used to play UT99 for hours every day against bots as a kid.

There was some talk of music earlier in the thread, and I'm pretty stoked to hear that the original composers are returning (or want to return?).

UT99 had loving awesome music man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wisFRiiE29Y

I also haven't enjoyed a ton of the UT2004 music that I've listened to, but this owns bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aup9SAnt6lQ

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gonna laugh when the end result has the exact same art aesthetic as UT3.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The weapons certainly seem to be heading that way sadly.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
The shock rifle looks kind of horrifying and distorted. Really we should just return to the original in all its boxy glory:
:allears:

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

the weapon models they're using are the ones from ut3. i'm pretty sure they've just brought them over as placeholder models since using ones from older ut games would look stupid

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yes, "placeholders".... they could probably just tweak UT3 a little bit, change the art style around, and pretend it's a new game. I don't think many people would notice.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Just saw this thread and foudn out abotu this. I am ridiculously excited, I used to play UT99 for hours every day against bots as a kid.

There was some talk of music earlier in the thread, and I'm pretty stoked to hear that the original composers are returning (or want to return?).

UT99 had loving awesome music man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wisFRiiE29Y

I also haven't enjoyed a ton of the UT2004 music that I've listened to, but this owns bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aup9SAnt6lQ

ONS-ArcticStronghold was my favorite UT2004 map in part because of this track.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

yeah, besides ut3 with a better art style and better maps would be a great game. the actual mechanics aren't very different from ut99 in the first place, and it looks like this new ut is sticking to that formula as well. i think the only really new thing is impact hammer jumping?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Organs posted:

yeah, besides ut3 with a better art style and better maps would be a great game. the actual mechanics aren't very different from ut99 in the first place, and it looks like this new ut is sticking to that formula as well. i think the only really new thing is impact hammer jumping?

That's been around since UT99.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey listen! Imp Crew is going to play some UT2k4 later on our hosted server.

Come join up around 5pm est or so for some sweet fraggin'.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yes, "placeholders".... they could probably just tweak UT3 a little bit, change the art style around, and pretend it's a new game. I don't think many people would notice.

there has been a ton of work by just about everyone to make more interesting weapons, they have no intention of keeping those.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Gonna laugh when the end result has the exact same art aesthetic as UT3.

FWIW they've outright said that it won't be in their youtube videos they've been putting up every week. Seems like it'll be a blend of 2k3 and 99, with some added "hey guys clean design is really IN these days".

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
So we have the concept art of the (first official?) weapon to be in the game. The Enforcer.

I like it. Looks like a new version of the UT99 version. Quite like it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That piece of metal in the front makes it look like a hammer, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :stwoon:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'd better be able to fire that poo poo sideways.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Spent last night firing back up UT2004 and started playing through the campaign.

I've mostly learned that even against bots, UT is still as fun as I remember, but I've also learned that double domination is the worst game mode ever conceived (also UT2004 bots must be bumped down a skill level or something when on my team)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kazvall posted:

Hey listen! Imp Crew is going to play some UT2k4 later on our hosted server.

Come join up around 5pm est or so for some sweet fraggin'.

:( Darn I missed it. Maybe you'll do a UT2k4 night again soon?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

ninjewtsu posted:

Spent last night firing back up UT2004 and started playing through the campaign.

I've mostly learned that even against bots, UT is still as fun as I remember, but I've also learned that double domination is the worst game mode ever conceived (also UT2004 bots must be bumped down a skill level or something when on my team)

It's you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

No I mean 4 of them together couldn't hold one of the score spots against like 2 of the other team's bots. It was pretty infuriating ordering my whole team to defend one point and have them unable to competently do so.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The exact thing happened to me with UT2k4's AI. It got to the point where I only play DM and TDM because they are loving awful at actually playing anything more complex. UT99's AI is leagues above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That's rich.

• Locked thread