Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
On that note, which celebrity fans of The Room do you all think will get involved in The Disaster Artist? I'm guessing at least Kristen Bell as either Robyn Paris/Michelle or Juliette Danielle/Lisa.

edit: Prior to Franco announcing that he'd be playing Tommy, I would've killed to see Alec Baldwin in the role.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ensign_Ricky posted:

On that note, which celebrity fans of The Room do you all think will get involved in The Disaster Artist? I'm guessing at least Kristen Bell as either Robyn Paris/Michelle or Juliette Danielle/Lisa.
If James Franco is playing Tommy/Johnny, then I hope Nic Cage plays Chris-R :v:

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

But who will be playing as Doggie? This I need to know!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

battlepigeon posted:

But who will be playing as Doggie? This I need to know!

Alec Baldwin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I got the book recently, too good.

Just stuff like this forever. Most of it is amazing even if you never saw the movie.

I do wish Tommy got them to film that roof scene the way he originally intended though with his car driving off the roof and then flying off. When he was asked about this his explanation was "It just simple side plot. Maybe Johnny is Vampire?"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The thing about Space Mutiny compared to The Room, is that Space Mutiny...I don't want to say it's trying harder to be good, but it seems to have more of an idea about what a movie is supposed to be, if that makes any sense at all. I mean, when you cast Reb Brown, you're kind of asking for a total schlock-fest as the guy has exactly 2 settings: scream and shoot. But aside from the rusting basement of the ship, you could almost, almost buy that it was a large spaceship.

Almost.

There's incompetence to be sure, but there seems to be a different level of it behind the two movies. Or hell, even between Manos and The Room. Tommy is off on his own little mental planet where he is convinced that this is how everyone makes movies, despite it not being even close to how.

I agree with you; I view them as the peak of two different "types" of bad excellence. The Room for being so ridiculously impossible to figure out due to the person who created it; Space Mutiny for being so ridiculously B level that every single person involved in the production was ridiculous in many different ways. Space Mutiny is the peak of schlock, The Room of cinematic insanity.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I've always wondered where Starcrash falls. A movie that's not "good," but is so much fun that you don't give a poo poo about all it's failings.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
How do you play a movie like this? Playing it straight, you'll always fail to capture Tommy Wiseau's alien-ness and just create a superficial parody. But making it parody, like for instance the Stiller/Wilson version of Starsky & Hutch, you'll probably make something far less funny than the real thing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

davidspackage posted:

How do you play a movie like this? Playing it straight, you'll always fail to capture Tommy Wiseau's alien-ness and just create a superficial parody. But making it parody, like for instance the Stiller/Wilson version of Starsky & Hutch, you'll probably make something far less funny than the real thing.

I think that the key is that the movie/book isn't really about Tommy, it's about Greg. Tommy is this bizarre character who flits in and out of his life for a long time before becoming a quasi-permanent fixture when he starts writing The Room. But a key point is how Greg describes the book in the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9lC7IBJvI

This isn't a story about a weird alien man, it's a story about friendship. Despite being so fed up with Tommy at points that Greg was ready to shut him completely out, he stuck by him because he was literally Tommy's only friend in the world. In that sense it's an incredibly touching story.

That being said, I would murder to see the entire commercial with Tommy reading Shakespeare.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I love how even Carolyn Minnott noticed that all of her scenes in The Room were exactly the same. She summarized them as "You should marry Johnny, he's the perfect man. Also, I hate this person and that person. And now I have to go home."

Another thing that took me a little too long to notice is how hilariously sexist the writing in the movie is. All the female characters ever do is sit around, drink wine, gossip and have sex. It's also weird how Mark doesn't get any blame for sleeping with Lisa and acts totally dumbfounded whenever she hits on him. Even when he had just had sex with her the day before.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Celery Face posted:

I love how even Carolyn Minnott noticed that all of her scenes in The Room were exactly the same. She summarized them as "You should marry Johnny, he's the perfect man. Also, I hate this person and that person. And now I have to go home."

Another thing that took me a little too long to notice is how hilariously sexist the writing in the movie is. All the female characters ever do is sit around, drink wine, gossip and have sex. It's also weird how Mark doesn't get any blame for sleeping with Lisa and acts totally dumbfounded whenever she hits on him. Even when he had just had sex with her the day before.

Greg Sestero did a pretty great parody of the whole "What's going on?" thing for Doug Walker over on ThatGuyWiththeGlasses.com (Yeah I know a lot of people don't think he's funny, but the scene is pretty goddamned funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4EeR2Tivu4

edit: It's at 30:12.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

One neat thing about The Room is that it would be a much worse film if it were competently made.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Robotnik Nudes posted:

One neat thing about The Room is that it would be a much worse film if it were competently made.

I don't know about worse, but it would definitely be more boring.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuvuIO23vRg

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Edit: Oh never mind. Though, I'm not the one who uploaded it.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 12, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Celery Face posted:

If anyone wants to see the rifftrax, here it is.

Unless you are Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, or Bill Corbett, I'll thank you to remove that link. :argh: If people want to watch the Rifftrax, they can drat well pay the 3.99 like the rest of us did.

Also, that's pretty clearly :filez: and you risk being banned.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read the book but I've seen the Room in Seattle. Tommy and Greg were there and Tommy and kinda shoved me to play football so I'm kind of a big deal. I got a poster autographed by the both of them too. I remember there being a Q&A but they were mostly stupid poo poo like "Were you on DRRRUUUUUUGS???" The two good things to come from that Q&A were Tommy just not getting what this one girl wanted to do (it was like, some weird Fresh Prince handshake or something) which led to everyone booing her off the stage, and the announcement of the 3D Bluray that would come out "soon". Only it came out like, almost three years later and wasn't 3D. I told them I was a big fan and had ordered the soundtrack. Tommy had no idea what I was talking about and said there was no soundtrack. Which well, maybe he forgot? It was a good time. I'll leave you with this rap song about The Room. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-Fc0iVF2A

edit: Oh yeah, and Tommy has no idea how to dress himself. He wore like, leather pants, five belts (all of them around his thighs) and sunglasses. You don't need to wear sunglasses in Seattle at midnight. Not unless you're Corey Hart.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 12, 2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
To those who recommended the book, thank you. That's one of the funniest things I've read, and strangely moving too. It just occured to me that if a writer came up with someone as bizarre as Wiseau in a book or film, if they invented him, you'd never believe it. He's a living, breathing cartoon character.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The flower shop scene is my favorite part of The Room, and reading about how it was filmed in Disaster Artist was incredible. Tommy just randomly selected a flower shop, walked in, and offered the owners twenty bucks if he could film a scene there. Also he didn't realize the dog was real at first. I think it was also the last scene shot for the movie.

Also, I don't know how real it is since Sestero qualifies it, but the background he gives for Tommy was pretty depressing. That more than anything gave me a window into what makes Tommy tick. Again, assuming there is at least a grain of truth to it.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Squallege posted:

I haven't read the book but I've seen the Room in Seattle. Tommy and Greg were there and Tommy and kinda shoved me to play football so I'm kind of a big deal. I got a poster autographed by the both of them too. I remember there being a Q&A but they were mostly stupid poo poo like "Were you on DRRRUUUUUUGS???" The two good things to come from that Q&A were Tommy just not getting what this one girl wanted to do (it was like, some weird Fresh Prince handshake or something) which led to everyone booing her off the stage, and the announcement of the 3D Bluray that would come out "soon". Only it came out like, almost three years later and wasn't 3D. I told them I was a big fan and had ordered the soundtrack. Tommy had no idea what I was talking about and said there was no soundtrack. Which well, maybe he forgot? It was a good time. I'll leave you with this rap song about The Room. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-Fc0iVF2A

edit: Oh yeah, and Tommy has no idea how to dress himself. He wore like, leather pants, five belts (all of them around his thighs) and sunglasses. You don't need to wear sunglasses in Seattle at midnight. Not unless you're Corey Hart.

I was at that showing and had to leave halfway through the third sex scene because I vomited on the nice people in front of me. Too much scotchka.

Tommy seemed so excited for his fame! It seemed like he was really embracing the whole thing. Like he thinks people legitimately love his art (some absolutwly do, but the majority are just mocking something they see as 'so bad it's good,' which is a silly concept) Greg Sestero on the other hand seemed more obligated to be there. Like he didn't want his life to end up being midnight The Room screenings. Though now that I know he's been friends with Tommy forever, through some ridiculous poo poo, it all makes more sense.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Ed Wood worked.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Celery Face posted:

Edit: Oh never mind. Though, I'm not the one who uploaded it.

That's as maybe, but Mike and Kevin both post here along with writer/voice of Disembaudio Conor Lastowka. Just in poor taste to post something like that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

massive spider posted:

Ed Wood worked.

Good point. Ed Wood is a wonderful movie. On the other hand, Ed Wood, outside of his own time, seems easier to understand. Wiseau seems hellbent on hiding his real personality behind a haphazardly fabricated character only he believes in.

Though I say this not having seen the entire movie, which I will, and not having read the book, which I most definitely will.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That's as maybe, but Mike and Kevin both post here along with writer/voice of Disembaudio Conor Lastowka. Just in poor taste to post something like that.
I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me that. Sorry.

I still can't believe that Tommy forked out hundreds of thousands of dollars for completely unnecessary poo poo but wouldn't pay the guy who played Chris-R 80 bucks for his ruined shoes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
One day I would love some to do a biography about Tommy, but have it be completely fictionalized. Tommy is very very quiet about his private life, with no-one knowing quite where his accent is from, where he grew up, what his childhood was like, how he managed to finance the movie etc. I haven't read the book but I assume that Greg doesn't go too much into Tommy's life, so I would love a movie based on this guy named Tommy Wiseau but have it be completely over the top in every aspect of his life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's 4 or 5 chapters dedicated to a possible Tommy origin.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
A Reddit poster figured out that Tommy is originally from Poland.

quote:

I was just about to post a detailed 2 page analysis speculating as to Tommy's nationality when I discovered what may be the key to Tommy's nationality.

DISCLAIMER First off, Tommy Wiseau is American as he claims. A naturalized American citizen is no less American than someone born in America. So I mean no disrespect to Tommy in exploring his origins. But of course his accent and mannerisms indicate he came from another country originally. The fascinating part about Tommy is the contradiction in someone being so hellbent on becoming famous is also not willing to reveal even the most basic information about himself.
I respect people's privacy but at the same time Tommy is a public figure and furthermore this information was all public so someone else would have put together this information together eventually.

TOMMY'S ORIGINS I believe Tommy is Polish.

PROOF "T—— is calling himself Pierre now and often receives compliments on how quickly he’s learned to speak passable French." (Recent book about The Room, written by Mark(Greg Sestero), The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside the Room, pg 231) "Pierre is greeted in New Orleans by his uncle Stanley and his aunt Katherine, an American—the first real American Pierre’s ever met. He’s overwhelmed with joy and optimism. From New Orleans they travel to the small town of Chalmette" (The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside the Room, Greg Sestero, pg 238)

I did a search on obituaries for these names and the town and found obituaries for Tommy's uncle Stanley and aunt Katherine: http://stbernard.tributes.com/our_obituaries/Stanley-Wieczor-85392505 http://stbernard.tributes.com/our_obituaries/Kathleen-Edna-Wieczor-85392502

The obituary reveals that a Stanley Wieczor was married to Kathleen Rainey Wieczor, the services were held in the Succor Catholic Church, Chalmette, LA. So Tommy's surname is most likely Wieczor, which is very close to to Wiseau, and would be a combination of his nickname birdman (French oiseau + Wieczor = Wiseau).

Furthermore it says that Stanley is son of Zofia Abromovitz Wieczor and Stanislaus Wieczor. There are some other names mentioned such as his brother Nicodem. Some further searches on these names reveals: Wieczor - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wiecz%C3%B3r - Polish Nicodem - http://www.behindthename.com/name/nicodemus - Polish Zofia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zofia - Polish

The final piece of the puzzle is Stanley Wieczor, his uncle's, immigration record (Louisiana, Naturalization Records,1836-2001 record). I don't have an ancestry.com account so can't confirm, I'd appreciate if someone could. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...r&msdpn__ftp=TX

Being Polish would also match with several other points from the book: 1. Tommy is apparently from an Eastern Bloc country (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Bloc) 2. He is Roman Catholic, Poland 96.12% Catholic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_by_country) 3. First left his country to go to Berlin. Warsaw is close to Berlin and accessible by rail, most likely the first stop for a Pole traveling west.

In closing, I hope that if this does reveal Tommy's origins I hope he is alright with it. America is after all a country of immigrants.

Edit: Added some additional points, clarified others, spelling

TLDR: Recent book about the Room says when Tommy came to America he had a aunt and uncle in Chalmette, Louisiana, I found their obituaries and from that determined Tommy's last name was Wieczor which is Polish.

http://www.reddit.com/r/theroom/comments/1vklp3/i_think_i_have_found_tommys_nationality_new/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well thread, you got me, I ordered a copy of The Disaster Artist. This book better be as great a read as you've all made it sound. :allears:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xoidanor posted:

Well thread, you got me, I ordered a copy of The Disaster Artist. This book better be as great a read as you've all made it sound. :allears:

It's amazing. Best book by a celebrity since If Chins Could Kill.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I suspected he was from Poland given the fact that he originally emigrated to France when leaving Eastern Europe, and throughout the twentieth century there were very close patterns of emigration from Poland to France which the Cold War just added an extra dimension to.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I brought this up to my fellow Room loving friend who was born and raised in Poland and this blew his mind because he said he's never, ever heard an accent like that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

weekly font posted:

I brought this up to my fellow Room loving friend who was born and raised in Poland and this blew his mind because he said he's never, ever heard an accent like that.

It's probably a combination of Polish/French/German/attempts to sound like an American all mixing into an accent blender.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I read one possible account of his life wherein he traveled to and from the US very often which would also confuse his accent.

The most shocking thing about him is that he was somehow not a villain in a Highlander sequel.

Somehow this baron of hell or whatever has better, less craggy skin than Tommy Wiseau.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 15, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Neo Rasa posted:

Somehow this baron of hell or whatever has better, less craggy skin than Tommy Wiseau.

I bet his butt muscles clench the exact same way during sex, though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
^^:stonk: shudder

Neo Rasa posted:

I read one possible account of his life wherein he traveled to and from the US very often which would also confuse his accent.

The most shocking thing about him is that he was somehow not a villain in a Highlander sequel.

One of the best parts of the Highlander Rifftrax is when they start comparing Christopher Lambert's accent to Tommy's.

"Oh hai, Lander!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

^^:stonk: shudder

One of the best parts of the Highlander Rifftrax is when they start comparing Christopher Lambert's accent to Tommy's.

"Oh hai, Lander!"

There's a Rifftrax for Highlander? How did I miss that?

If there was ever a Highlander movie that deserves a Rifftrax though, it's The Source.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

raditts posted:

There's a Rifftrax for Highlander? How did I miss that?

If there was ever a Highlander movie that deserves a Rifftrax though, it's The Source.

Dude, that's one of those movies that not even a riffing could save.

On a side note, who's going to pick up the audiobook version of The Disaster Artist? I'm not usually one for those, but Greg's doing his best Tommy-accent in it, so...

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I just watched The Room after reading this thread, and did anyone get the feeling like watching the dayman play from It's Always Sunny, as in its a true story? Or maybe its like a partly true story like at the party he knows something is up with Lisa and Mark in a "haha, I totally know you fuckers. In fact I knew all along" way.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tenzarin posted:

I just watched The Room after reading this thread, and did anyone get the feeling like watching the dayman play from It's Always Sunny, as in its a true story? Or maybe its like a partly true story like at the party he knows something is up with Lisa and Mark in a "haha, I totally know you fuckers. In fact I knew all along" way.

Oh there is no doubt whatsoever that there was a "Lisa" in Tommy's life at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The movie goes way out of its way to show Johnny is such a great guy adopted a drug using college student, out going all the vendors make him out to be a big customer. How much drugs did he get from that drug dealer, we will never know because he was citizen's arrested to jail.

• Locked thread