Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vedius Pollio posted:

and wash all that down with a mixture of vodka and brandy. Mmmm, you're right, it tastes good.
vodka and scotch*

It's Scotchka! :)
You already know I will. Everyone does at these screenings. The theater knows that and yet they've kept showing it for a few years, so they must be okay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Neo Rasa posted:

Just want to mention since there's obviously a lot of fans of great bad movies in this thread, Reb Brown is a name to look out for:

Strike Commando
Yor: The Hunter from the Future
The Sword and the Sorcerer
Captain America
Captain America II
Robo War (I feel this movie and Cyborg Cop series in particular were the main inspirations for Blood Dragon besides the obvious Termintor/etc. soundtrack homage)

All of which are loving amazing films. Particularly Robowar and Strike Commando. Captain America II (Death Too Soon) even has Christopher Lee as a Hispanic terrorist named Colonel Miguel!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Neo Rasa posted:

Just want to mention since there's obviously a lot of fans of great bad movies in this thread, Reb Brown is a name to look out for:

The Sword and the Sorcerer

It's been years since I've seen it but I remember Sword and the Sorcerer being the ultimate "what if a 12 year old boy made a movie" movie.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Yor: The Hunter from the Future

Everyone should feel obligated to at least watch the following scene. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ65-FabVHU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

InfiniteZero posted:

We should really sit down and hash this all out over some food. I'll order us a half canadian bacon with pineapple half artichoke with pesto and light on the cheese pizza.

But then the pizza is plain. I hope they didn't tip but Johnny is such a nice guy they probably did.

Also we did a shot of Scotchka at my friend's wedding and it was just as awful as you think.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Scotchka could only be invented by someone who doesn't drink. Or Tommy Wiseau.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

InfiniteZero posted:

I feel the same way, but if he was isolated from outside influence of people who strictly see him as a punchline and was instead working with people who would encourage him to build on his own brand of crazy ideas ("yeah Tommy, a movie about a flying vampire car is a good idea, why don't you explore that") without trying to basically do any punch-up for it, it could be brilliant. The trick would be to nurture his creativity while making sure he doesn't become self-aware or self-referential.

It's possible that this might not even be a problem though. Reading "The Disaster Artist", I'm not sure. He may already not be self-aware, which I personally think is the best state for him as an artist. It's also entirely possible though that The Room was everything he had. It's not as if he wasn't free to indulge himself in every way when he made it, so he may have ran his well dry.

Do people genuinely want to see what he would come up with the future, though? I was under the impression that the entire appeal of The Room is how it just crashes and burns so spectacularly. I feel like it would be hard to come up with something exactly as awful and baffling as The Room again, but I suppose if anyone could do it, it'd be Tommy Wiseau.

InfiniteZero posted:

We should really sit down and hash this all out over some food. I'll order us a half canadian bacon with pineapple half artichoke with pesto and light on the cheese pizza.

Was there ever an explanation for that? Was that like, actually in the script or was that just one hell of an ad-lib?

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 6, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

raditts posted:

Was there ever an explanation for that? Was that like, actually in the script or was that just one hell of an ad-lib?

Gotta be in the script, seeing as how loving pissed Tommy would get at Greg's ad libs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

They can explain it the same way they explained what happened to Lisa's mom and her fight with breast cancer in the first movie.

Tommy was a vampire all along and what Lisa's Mom thought was breast cancer turns out to be a vampire bite.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

raditts posted:

Do people genuinely want to see what he would come up with the future, though? I was under the impression that the entire appeal of The Room is how it just crashes and burns so spectacularly. I feel like it would be hard to come up with something exactly as awful and baffling as The Room again, but I suppose if anyone could do it, it'd be Tommy Wiseau.

One of the most surprising things I got from The Disaster Artist was that Tommy managed to get actual, experienced crew members who tried their hardest to help him get this thing made, even if they weren't very effective at dealing with that level of crazy. I'd kind of assumed that Tommy was completely on his own. I can't even imagine what would have been released, if anything, without someone like Sandy there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Gotta be in the script, seeing as how loving pissed Tommy would get at Greg's ad libs.

This blew my mind in the book. Tommy hated it when Greg ad-libbed but could barely remember his own lines.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I already ordered a pizza :haw:

You think about everything!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Room is one of my favorite movies ever and it makes me sad that we'll probably never see another one like it.

This one might come close in sheer ineptitude though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFgQ34b96_U

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yaws posted:

The Room is one of my favorite movies ever and it makes me sad that we'll probably never see another one like it.

This one might come close in sheer ineptitude though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFgQ34b96_U

Everyone in that trailer seems like they were heavily sedated before filming started.

:dawkins101: NO MORE BOOKS

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

raditts posted:

I remember back in 2009 when The Room exploded, I read that he wanted to make a musical about Ayn Rand's life. Also that he wanted to make a Dracula movie (which totally makes sense given the vampire revelation in Disaster Artist).

And who can forget Tommy's failed television pilot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGpwxHMUndk

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think I would kill for a Wiseau Dracula. Kill.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Chairman Capone posted:

a musical about Ayn Rand's life

Cast Tommy Wiseau as Ayn Rand and you would officially have the best movie ever.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember back in 2009 when The Room exploded, I read that he wanted to make a musical about Ayn Rand's life. Also that he wanted to make a Dracula movie (which totally makes sense given the vampire revelation in Disaster Artist).

I'm suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. This is what happens when Wiseau tackles another project and intentionally tries to make it funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

I kind of need that show to exist now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

I'm suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. This is what happens when Wiseau tackles another project and intentionally tries to make it funny.

It also follows the "nonsensical title" pattern, I'm trying to figure out why a show called "The Neighbors" apparently takes place in an office.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Because they work next to each other in the office? Not too awful I can dig it. Especially compared to say the tuxedo segment in The Room.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

You already know I will. Everyone does at these screenings. The theater knows that and yet they've kept showing it for a few years, so they must be okay with it.

My theater attempted to put a stop to it, but even if you make it a rule, dumb idiots throw hunks of plastic around. At least pick them up after the movie, dude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

My theater attempted to put a stop to it, but even if you make it a rule, dumb idiots throw hunks of plastic around. At least pick them up after the movie, dude.

I'd imagine it's considerably easier than picking up rice and poo poo after a Rocky Horror screening. So, there's always that.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CelticPredator posted:

I'd imagine it's considerably easier than picking up rice and poo poo after a Rocky Horror screening. So, there's always that.

To be fair, at least rice is easy to vacuum.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

raditts posted:

It was very likely in the script. Tommy just doesn't care about continuity.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Optimist with doubt posted:

It was very likely in the script. Tommy just doesn't care about continuity.

"We do no different than big studios!"

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Neo Rasa posted:

We watched the blu-ray of this recently and you can clearly see his dick and balls briefly while he's walking away. I like, I really wish my brain had chose that split second to blink, but instead I really do learn something new every time I see this film.

Yeah, when I was watching the film I was pretty sure I saw them too. So I stopped the film and replayed that bit just to make sure my friend also saw it, so I wouldn't be alone in my suffering.

raditts posted:

Everyone in that trailer seems like they were heavily sedated before filming started.

:dawkins101: NO MORE BOOKS

Amazing. It's probably better than The Fifth Estate, and I wish I were watching it right now. Got to find out about those GOVERnment SECRETS.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
:siren:Movie News!:siren:

Dave Franco will be playing the role of Greg to James' Tommy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Then my picture was correct. I am pleased.

Also...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:siren:Movie News!:siren:

Dave Franco will be playing the role of Greg to James' Tommy.
Oh yeah, this is gonna be real interesting :allears:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
As always, I am eagerly awaiting James Franco's rendition of "I did naht hit her, it's naht true! It's bullshit! I did naht hit her! I did nahht! Oh hi, Mark."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, we have official confirmation about one of the more confusing aspects of The Room:

quote:

Wiseau spent the rest of the Q&A session clearing up other facts about the film he made 11 years ago. This included clarification about the mental state of one of the film's actors, Denny.

"Oh, before I forgot, Denny is retarded by the way," said Wiseau.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahaha who didn't see that coming?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Hahahahaha who didn't see that coming?

We all suspected, but there was always this weird ambiguity with Denny, starting right around the time he proposed a threesome.

And, you know, that he likes to watch. :stare:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, we have official confirmation about one of the more confusing aspects of The Room:

That's some pretty bad writing. One of the film's CHARACTERS is retarded. Not the actor.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
I am still not sure whether or not to be excited about this. On the one hand, the Francos both have done wonderful work in the past, but James's last adaptation of a novel, As I Lay Dying, was very, VERY spotty.
Also, James Franco cameo as himself during the Retro Puppet Master audition scene. Calling it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You guys actually believe this? Tommy Wiseau isn't exactly a reliable source of information. He's also claimed The Room was meant to be a dark comedy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The idea that Denny is mentally challenged has been around for a while. Tommy Wiseau said as much in a telephone interview a few years ago. Whether that was always the intention, or if he just made it up after the film became popular is another question.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have serious serious doubts if Tommy gave much thought behind his characters when he made the Room. Every character in the movie is just a mouth piece with the dimensions of a piece of paper, and Tommy probably didn't think of Denny as being a giant creep when he first made the movie. I put the whole "he was retarded" statement in the same camp as "it was meant to be a comedy all along".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, whether Tommy intended Denny to be retarded or not (I also doubt he thought about that at all), he rather clearly comes off somewhat mentally disturbed in the finished product.

I'm still reading the book, about halfway through right now, and it's really great. Tommy's a bizarre and fascinating character, and Greg's struggles as a starving artist are interesting too, at least for someone who isn't seriously into actor/celebrity biographies.

• Locked thread