Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Then you really need to pick up Heroes Chronicles: Revolt of the Beastmasters. That game does not sugar-coat the Castle faction at all, and turns all but one associated character (Niven Gryphonheart, who ultimately defects to Tarnum's rebellion) into corrupt, racist and insane overlords to Tatalia. Granted, that whole campaign takes place (chronologically) many decades before Heroes 3 proper starts, so your case of Castle becoming the "designated hero" still fits since the major story campaigns revolve around Erathia. But they are not always the heroes in every campaign, as some of the other campaigns in Heroes 3 and Chronicles shows.
I have never played heroes chronicles and strangely they are never included in packs. :(

So apparently in February Heroes of Might and Magic 3 celebrated it's 15th birthday. :corsair: Because Ubisoft knows that there are still a lot of fans out there they published some interviews.
Link to source

The part I found interesting is this:

David Mullich interview posted:

[snip]
That opportunity came three years later when New World Computing contacted me about becoming director for a new sequel in the Heroes of Might & Magic franchise. It was an exciting proposition but also a somewhat daunting one – Heroes of Might & Magic II, which was released the previous year, had just been named the sixth-best PC game of all time by PC Gamer magazine. What could I possibly do for an encore?

That is precisely the question I was asked by Trip Hawkins, president of The 3DO Company, which had recently purchased New World Computing. Trip made it the habit of personally interviewing every key employee joining the 3DO family (in my case, it was a phone interview, since I lived in the Los Angeles area, where New World was located, whereas The 3DO Company was based in the San Francisco area), and he wanted to know what I brought to the party.

Fortunately, I had an answer ready. I had spent about a week playing Heroes II and found it to be a remarkably addicting and well-designed game. However, my one qualm was with the art style. I thought the artwork looked about five years behind the times, and so my focus would be on bringing the graphics up to current standards. Trip seemed satisfied with my answer, and I could only hope that my bosses at New World agreed with me.

It turns out, they did. On my first day on the job, my manager told me that the company was unhappy with its current art direction and wanted me to “secretly” find a new art director among the art staff. So, on the pretense of introducing myself to everyone, I held one-to-one conversations with each artist. They were all capable artists, but one, Phelan Sykes, used our discussion to talk about how unhappy she was with the status quo. “I have found my art director”, I told myself, and as I later discovered, she was also the most talented artist in the company.

Another person I was happy to meet was Greg Fulton, a new employee New World had hired to be the lead designer the Heroes of Might & Magic III team I was putting together. Greg was hired on the same day I was, and we had never met each other previously, but we quickly became fast friends. I told Greg about my plan for upgrading the franchise’s art style from its past cartoony look to one that I called “extreme fantasy.” Greg showed me some artwork from the Warhammer tabletop miniatures game, proving to me that he knew exactly what I meant.

Together we went through galleries of fantasy artwork created by such great artists as Boris Vallejo, Larry Elmore and Rowina Morill, picking out images of heroes, creatures and environments that captured the look we were going after. We then arranged our collection into eight themed factions, up from the six that were featured in Heroes II.
[/snip]

Extreme fantasy! :byodood: Not that he wasn't right. I recall reading, that the graphics for Heroes2 weren't really cutting edge when it was released. Being a kid I never really noticed. And being older I am of the opinion that the art direction saves the graphics. Cartoony is great way to get away with bad graphics.

Anyway, update comes seconds/minutes after this post. I'm hoping this bumps it to the second page on standard settings.

edit: Which it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
UPDATE 4

Last time, Kilburn got on a boat and Wrathmont was farting around in the snow.

Day 14

Of course the moment I step on my boat the mice come out to play.

He even has units above level 2.

Kilburn gets off the boat and in a striking bout of realism, in this game this costs him his turn. :(
Wrathmont continues doing what he was doing, namely getting gold (+2.000).

He also demonstrates the Warlock perk of having enhanced vision and spots another enemy. What kind of logic is that anyway? Why can warlocks see further?

I have plenty of gold, but I badly need wood. Considering the amount of enemies suddenly showing up I elect to hire another hero. That should shorten our resupply time and the AI is slightly less aggressive if there is a hero on a town. Even if it's a weak one.

I pick Whoopie Goldberg. She comes with sprites, a spellbook and the ability to be possessed by ghosts.

End turn.

Day 15
A lot of movement, the guy Wrathmont spotted ran away and I saw another boat sail by in the dark. :ghost:

Anyway, Kilburn attacks the sorceress first.

We cover the archers.

The pikemen stay where they are as they can’t reach anything.

The archers kill the dwarves and the cavalry do a surprise backstab on the sprites. This doesn't do more damage, but it amuses me. That was easy enough. +1 defense for our knight.

Wrathmont gets the cabin and with it more peasants. He flags the mine and trudges back through the snow.

Whoopie stays where she is to protect the castle.

Day 16

New week, new units.

Kilburn comes up just short, but that’s okay. The enemy needs a day to board their ship, so we can kill them on the boat. The only downside is that the boat disappears when you kill the hero on the boat.

Wrathmont visits the cottage again, I want to take Wrathmont on adventure again. All peasants and no play make Wrathmont a knight.
Whoopie spends my money.

Day 17

Kilburn flags the laboratory and moves to attack the warlock.

The crusaders block the archers somewhat and get good morale. The enemy has two flyers, so blocking the archers was a good idea. However they received a good morale boost and as usual I drop my original plan and instead they attack the griffins.

They are struck down in their prime.

The enemy knows it’s going to lose so it casts elemental storm. This is bad. :(

Everyone on his side dies and look at my losses. Not worth the trouble or the cost. Good thing it’s a new week.
Still, this doesn’t bode well for future fights with them. Elemental storm wreaks havoc on low HP knight units. Also, some kind of lesson on saving the environment I guess.
Consider that Dragons are resistant to all magic and combine with Elemental storm to make a potent strategy. There is an even better spell to use in that strategy, but we haven't seen it yet.

Kilburn heads back. Wrathmont heads to his new home, buys what he can and moves to get more dwarves before venturing deeper into the island.

Natasha (Whoopie) buys the swordsmen we didn’t buy yet, but leaves everything in the castle for Kilburn. She moves to reclaim our lost ore mine.

Day 18

More dwarves!

More ore!

End turn!

Day 19

It appears to be quite busy on the water.

Kilburn comes back home and I finally remember buying him a spellbook.

I immediately decide to put his new found might magic to use. Casting spells outside of battle is done using the flag button. This brings up this menu which contains buttons for the world map, the puzzle, casting spells and digging holes.

This is the view mines spell. You know what, based on the comments of a goon I think that this could be useful. I now know exactly where blue is. I also notice a gold mine on my land. Blue seems to be the strongest most annoying, so I think I’ll chase them down first. I was operating on the idea that if I'm on one corner, the others are located on the other corners, but this is much more precise. I shall rate the usefulness of this spell as a peasant with haste on a scale of peasant to dragon.

Kilburn walks to the center of the island and tries to look menacing to keep intruders away.

Day 20

Kilburn never passes up free stuff and this includes slightly used boats.

Wrathmont is building an army. He wantsI want him to go to the dimension gate.

Just so we’re clear on this I’m not sexist, she’s protecting our main base.

Day 21

Let’s see what’s up.

That’s not too bad. In fact, the resources are great and there is a pouch of endless gold! Unfortunately, the game is trolling me (literally) as the trolls that are blocking it are the strongest shooters in the game. Wrathmont is in no position to tangle with them.

Wrathmont picks up the gold first and is out of movement points second.

Kilburn tries to board the ship again and hopes the island doesn’t come under another attack.

Natasha picks up more peasants off screen.

Day 22

Nothing happens and we move Kilburn to the suspected blue island.

We quickly spot Antoine.

Wrathmont picks up more gold. Tomorrow is a new day/week and I want an army protecting my island.

We also find old Scorpigal.
I have no idea why, but Scorpigal is a big and recurring name in these games. More specifically New Scorpigal which was where Might and Magic 1 starts.

Natasha returns home. I really want to buy another mage guild level, but I also want to level up the second town. We need better magic and I want more money.

Day 23
Wrathmont picks up the rest of the stuff.

Kilburn ignores Antoine who did his French name justice by running away. I expect to find the blue castle on the island below so he disembarks.

Natasha buys an army and a second mage guild level since I depleted my money so I wouldn´t be able to upgrade the other town anyway.
Regarding the spell selection, really? Are you kidding me?
We’ve already "seen" turn undead. Well, at least there are undead here to try it on. Completely useless!
Anti-magic is slightly better I suppose. You cast it on your best unit and like the dragons, it becomes magic proof. Better than nothing at least, I can always cast it on my crusaders if I expect the computer to use spells (always). Of course, all other units are still fair game. :(
Where is my lightning bolt! :argh:

Day 24

Kilburn finds a shrine and learns a brand new spell. This looks familiar. If only peasants were faster, we could use them for kamikaze purposes.
Storm is a spell that does 25 times spellpower in damage on the whole field.

I have located the blue castle.

Wrathmont accidently finds the green castle. Run away!

Back home I buy a thieves guild. I want to know what I’m up against.

A fearsome force.

Day 25

Fortunately I don’t think green saw Wrathmont because he turned away. Actually scratch that, I'm pretty certain the computer can see through the fog of war. They probably just ignored me due to desert and wolves standing between us. Blue meanwhile shows off their strongest hero as it sails by to destination unknown.

Storm the castle! We start great as my catapult lightly damages a tower. And so the stare contest begins. Fortunately, we’re much faster so I park everyone around the archers. I briefly consider using my offensive spell might. But we won’t like our own elemental storm and I’d rather save curse for when I attack the Hydras.

Any bets on how many archers I’ll have left at the end?

Still backstabbing. That griffin looks so sad as it’s stabbed. :smith:

Griffins are annoying as they are the only unit in the game who have unlimited retaliations. Interestingly, in later games they always seem to die quicker than you would expect them to.

There are only 4 archers, so I shoot the centaurs first. I elect not to have my cavalry attack the Griffins as I expect them to live through the barrage from them and the Crusaders.

I have no idea what I’m doing. :freep: Apparently they die quicker than I would expect in this game as well.

Finally a hole. My archers killed their archers. My cavalry head to the top wall in case that one breaks. The crusaders are slightly closer and the size of the hole is only enough for one unit so sending them both there won’t accomplish anything.

Why them? We also have sky high morale. :( I wonder if their beer is just that good.

Meanwhile my archers only do 19 damage to the hydra. They have an impressive 75 hitpoints. Yes, that is more than my crusaders. I also lose a swordsman to a sneak attack from the peasants I was ignoring. Sneaky little bastards.

The swordsmen press on. There is no room for another unit there. But ganging up on hydras is generally a bad idea since they attack all adjacent hexes. :krakentoot:

Archers help?

During their surprise at being shot, the swordsmen run away allowing the others room to play. The catapult finally made another hole.

I decide to use my curse! Time to hit it with all we’ve got!

Attack!

The crusaders show the swordsmen how swording things actually works.

The second demonstration isn’t quite as good. One hydra left. :(

Come on, we even showed you how to do it!

The pikemen finish the job. I really didn’t expect them to be able to hit from there. I just found it while moving my cursor to the skip button. It's such a strange angle.

Did anyone guess five archers left? Level up attack +1.

This looks good and have you heard how it sounds yet?.

They have all the good stuff. :getin:

The new spells:

Blind: Blind troops can't move, but will retaliate. Any damage to a blinded unit will cancel their blindness. It's a great way to put a unit out of commission so you can focus on other things. The AI likes casting it on your strongest units.

Fireball: This does 10 times spellpower in damage on and around the hex you point at. I don't like it very much. Damage always seems low to me unless your spellpower is huge. But by then, you probably have better spells.

Berzerker (This is the spelling in the manual): Berserked troops will attack the nearest unit. This is a pretty good spell, though I haven't used it very often in the past. In later games most of the units you want to use this on are immune to it and your spellpower compared to the HP of the stack determines if you can cast it on them. Not here though, everyone who is not a dragon is fair game.

Wrathmont enters the gate and…wait a minute, this isn’t home.

We did find a village made out of a rare Atlantian resource.

Those druids are doing a bang up job protecting that artifact. I hope they won´t mind if I take it through the back door.

Day 26

I expected Blue to become nervous without a castle, which is why I left it unguarded. I stop by the castle to swap in some gargoyles and attack!

The flyers she has are going to be a pain. I wonder who they´ll gang up on.

FEEL THE POWER OF THE SUN! Right, so that did 10 damage to each unit, fireball is not very good on a knight.

:awesomelon: Male gaze activated!
:sparkles: Nooo!

Lady luck laughs at us as the gargoyles kill one of ours.

Haha! The luck is on the other foot now!

The griffins then return the favor. If you’re wondering why the crusaders aren’t moving. They have been paralyzed by a spell.

So I wanted to help out my crusaders by using dispel! And I miss my click, sending my gargoyles all the way back and the enemy scared by my unorthodox tactics casts storm on us.

That cut into my army quite bad. On the bright side, the crusaders woke up after getting hit with rain. In addition, their gargoyles followed mine. Meaning everyone can reach them now. :black101: I suppose I could still try to claim it was part of my strategy to move my gargoyles there. :shepface:

We kill the dwarf and…

Gang up on the gargoyles! The pikemen deliver the finishing blow…again.

An expensive victory if you ask me. But at least a level up and knowledge +1.

We get a lucky rabbits foot with Wrathmont. I notice a yellow flagged saw mill. I really wanted to grab the obelisk, but bad pathfinding means I can’t reach it.

Day 27

Wrathmont fails to return home again, but my new town would love that sulfur mine I ignored earlier. Sulfur is required to build a Black Tower and to build dragons.

Without resupplying we kill the centaurs in a curbstomb battle. The only thing you’ve missed was me discovering that a berserked enemy doesn’t block other archers.

I really wanted that.

Back home we buy a maze. The reason is simple, look at the building schematics.

The warlock town, or mountain castle has two branches and both need to be built before you can build a black tower. They were only missing the maze.

Day 28

I flag the sulfur mine and want to try to get home again when I finally notice the skeleton above the gate. Let’s visit that first.

Kilburn flags the sawmill.

It occurs to me that I haven’t seen blue come rushing back to their castle when I know that there is another hero out there. So I check the thieves guild. Nope, blue doesn’t have any more castles left, nor do they have any towns.

Day 29

Look, it’s Kastore to visit our main island. Looks like Natasha is going to get some exercise.
Kastore is another big name in the Might and Magic games being a protagonist in Might and Magic 3 and crash landing on Enroth after the events there. He shows up again in Might and Magic 7 and Heroes2. Supposedly he was to have a role in Heroes3 as well, but the Forge town incident ensured that that didn't happen.

I elect not to send Natasha yet. He’s faster than us due to faster units, so let him come to us.

Nothing in the skeleton for Wrathmont.

After two more trips through the gate he ends up on our new island. Guess who gets a new castle?

Kilburn hangs back as Wrathmont makes his way here.

Day 30

Yay a new week means an army for Wrathmont and new supplies for Kilburn…once he gets home.

Wrathmont flags the mine, Natasha runs to meet with Kastore who flagged my sawmill and ore mine. Killburn attacks more centaurs since those need to be cleared for Wrathmont to arrive.

See those stupid puddles? My cavalry can’t cross them meaning we can’t reach the centaurs in a single turn.

Did you know different units produce different death clouds? This is the gargoyle death cloud. Nothing on my side died and no level up. We did get the 1.500 gold chest.

Day 31

What do you think you’re doing Kastore? He even picked up my peasants! He will pay with his life! :argh:

I cast anti magic. I have never used this spell before as far as I can remember. :shepface:

You may have been able to infer this from my comment on the centaurs earlier, but did you know that if the enemy has large units allow the cavalry can attack them in the same turn?

The enemy was not amused and immediately blinded my cavalry.

That’s what you get for taking my peasants.

I have to say I like how anti magic is protecting my crusaders.

What is it with pikemen and getting the last hit?

Day 31

Bye blue, thanks for the spells.

Meanwhile, Natasha reflags my mines and Wrathmont spots another obelisk which prompts Kilburn into action.

Day 32

Where is it?

Wrathmont takes ownership of the new castle and buys to his heart content.

Day 33

Kilburn takes the swordsmen. Wrathmont won’t be needing those veterans anymore. They served him well, but are now part of a greater mass of faceless goons.

If I wait two turns I can buy dragons.

Day 34
Kilburn sails the seven seas.

Day 35

Black tower get.

Kilburn spots another enemy during his voyage.

The cavalry get to work.

The cavalry keep working.

Berserker is a great spell. I want to keep the enemy from casting spells. All those drizzles have put the fear into me. Though I already see that the dwarves are going to get their turn. :shrug:

She just used blind.

I love cavalry. And the archers helped twice as well.

Spellpower +1 for Kilburn, now we’re talking magic. He heads home to get more troops, meanwhile I end the update here. A vanquished opponent, a new town, dragons and ending with a slaughter against our next opponent seem like a good point to end things with.

Next time we go dragons on their rear end! :vd:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Good to see this LP active again. I like how you refer to the heroes by appearance. 'Whoopi Goldberg' made me smile.

Antimagic does improve a little in utility if your hero has Storm/Armageddon but not dragons. Grab a single tough stack for your hero tu cast Antimagic on, and by the second turn of battle you can have a poor man's Dragoneddon going.

Also, yay, it made a difference that I pointed out that Vie Resources is only nearly useless, not entirely so. I'm contributing :downs:.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Glad to see that you're still alive. I didn't play as much Heroes 1 as I did 2 and 3 so it's fun seeing all these heroes and how they fit into the larger Might and Magic scheme of things :)

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
It is thanks to the talent of Phelan Sykes that Heroes III's art direction actually works.

>Death clouds

Those are determined by the types of attacks. Physical attacks = blood, electrical and sparkly attacks = sparks and dusts, red energy = red burn, blue energy = blue burn.

The difference is purely graphical.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I have never played heroes chronicles and strangely they are never included in packs. :(
GOG.com has all 8 of the Heroes Chronicles campaigns available as a single purchase for about $10. It's worth it if you have the money to spare.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yes, I'm still alive. I was aiming for an update a week average but I didn't get my usual playtime last week so I had to skip a week. On the brightside I found some extra playtime yesterday, so next update is very far along already. :shepface: Just need to add some descriptions, the screenshots and some gifs. The actual level is already finished, it was fun.

cuc posted:

It is thanks to the talent of Phelan Sykes that Heroes III's art direction actually works.

>Death clouds

Those are determined by the types of attacks. Physical attacks = blood, electrical and sparkly attacks = sparks and dusts, red energy = red burn, blue energy = blue burn.

The difference is purely graphical.
Definitely. While it's almost a 180 on the art direction it is still executed perfectly. It's not that they went from good graphics to bad, or viceversa. It's that they shifted to a completely different style. Fact that it works is a testament to the skill and effort put into the game.
Still, I think style wise I prefer Heroes2. Heroes1 is very simplistic compared to Heroes2 in animations, with monsters having only 2 frames of attack and movement and no idle pose. This really hurts the game in my opinion.
Heroes3 ups the animation further, but the more limited color palette causes it to fall squarely into the brown is realism movement. (Even though realism is a very silly term to use for a game where nagas fight an evil eyes)
I never owned Heroes4 until the collectors edition came along, so I haven't played Heroes4. As such I don't really have an opinion on that game. However the screenshots don't make it seem very appealing visually. I really should try it some day.
Heroes5 feels like a combo between 2 and 3. Vibrant colors and more detailed models. I don't know why I don't have more to say about this game when I feel like should. Maybe I haven't played it enough?
I haven't played 6, but based on the LP by ApplesandOranges it keeps the style from Heroes5.

I sound like a graphics whore like this, gameplay rules! (which is where later games easily trounce the earlier games) :woop:

Yes, it's purely graphical, but I like the death cloud and the touch of having different clouds for different types of attacks. I'm pretty sure the death cloud is there out of necessity. It would save the weaker computer from having to render corpses, but the fact that they added such a nice little detail to it is something I can appreciate.

AradoBalanga posted:

GOG.com has all 8 of the Heroes Chronicles campaigns available as a single purchase for about $10. It's worth it if you have the money to spare.
:10bux: isn't the problem, time is. But good to know that I can get it legally online. I never was able to find it either legally or illegally. Maybe when I finish this...

sulovilen
May 6, 2013
Yeah, so this thread convinced me to get Chronicles (I really like HOMM3 so it was an easy decision!) It has 64 missions in total and the campaigns are full of :words:. I think that the tombstone tiles look silly, don't remember if they were like this in HOMM3:

Oh, and Tarnum seems to get quite powerful special abilities in the campaigns :woop: (upgrade mages into enchanters and elves into sharpshooters). Not tested all of them yet, though

e: I was wrong about the 64 missions, there are 8 campaigns, I've seen that some have 8 scenarios and some have 5.

sulovilen fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 18, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

sulovilen posted:

Yeah, so this thread convinced me to get Chronicles (I really like HOMM3 so it was an easy decision!) It has 64 missions in total and the campaigns are full of :words:. I think that the tombstone tiles look silly, don't remember if they were like this in HOMM3:

Oh, and Tarnum seems to get quite powerful special abilities in the campaigns :woop: (upgrade mages into enchanters and elves into sharpshooters). Not tested all of them yet, though
Yeah, Tarnum as a hero is sort of a Megaman type in that he uses the abilities of various heroes from nearly all Heroes 3 factions (Necropolis, Inferno and Conflux don't get a Tarnum version). Some are good like his Ranger (Sharpshooters :getin:), Barbarian and Wizard versions. Others are...odd, like his Beastmaster version which uses Bron, the Basilisk focused Beastmaster. And then there's his Knight version which uses Christian...the Castle hero who specializes in the Ballista war machine, which is almost useless.

In your image, you have a special field terrain type that the Shadow of Death expansion pack introduced, Holy Ground. Good-aligned factions (Castle, Rampart and Tower) gain +1 morale while fighting on that terrain while Evil-aligned factions (Necropolis, Dungeon, and Inferno) lose -1 morale while fighting on that terrain. Since Heroes Chronicles ran off the latest edition of Heroes 3, it has all of the things Shadow of Death added like Holy Ground.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure Necropolis is up crying late at night over that -1 morale on holy ground. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

That looks like NOTHING I've seen in Heroes 3 and I bought the damm game twice, complete with Shadows of Death. Heroes three never used giant tombstones like that. Is this another case where they're using mods and calling them patches?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bloodly posted:

That looks like NOTHING I've seen in Heroes 3 and I bought the damm game twice, complete with Shadows of Death. Heroes three never used giant tombstones like that. Is this another case where they're using mods and calling them patches?
Like all terrains in the game, what you can see on the field of battle is random. You probably had a RNG that just never spawned the hilariously large tombstones. Also, I think Holy Ground is used almost exclusively in the campaigns (Gelu and Gem's campaigns, IIRC), but is available in the map editor.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Update 5:

Day 36

Time flies when you’re having fun.

New week new units, you know what that means.

Yes, enough money for 1 dragon. These things are expensive. :(

Keep in mind, I already paid 15.000 coins for the tower. Now if I want to buy dragons I have to wait 2 days unless I find a goldmine or some gold lying around. (But what are the odds of that? :rolleye: (this would be funnier if this was a Barbarian town) )
They are so expensive that you can start to question if it’s even worth the money.

Kilburn accidentally gets off his ship. I wanted to set him near the coast and simply have Natasha toss the units on board from the shoreline. There goes that plan.

Natasha, disappointed in my ability to click accurately on a map, moves out.

Day 37

I’m scouting.

Kilburn likes magic?

Could be worse, I like paralyze.
Paralyze: You paralyze a unit. The difference between blind and paralyze is that a paralyzed unit can't retaliate.
It's about time I received better spells! :argh:

Anyway, more units are bought and end turn.

Day 38

Natasha is still scouting and finds some centaurs to beat up.

It was short. Also, knowledge +1. She picks up a campfire behind it +500 and +5 sulfur.

Let’s check out the shipwreck, what could go wrong?

Female ghosts! :derp: Quick channel Patrick Swayze!

Let’s see what turn undead does. Does it kill the stack or just a unit. :ohdear: Please be a stack.

That spell effect!

That was pretty good, I can already see that this spell will be crucial to winning this fight.
Let’s form up around the archers, our weakest units.

Ghosts have special AI instructions, they will always target the weakest unit first and for good reason.

But we’re not so easily slain. We hit that bed sheet so hard that blood squirts out.

This is not going well.

Only one down, that’s not a lot.

No swordsmen are going to survive this. I'm disappointed in their performance in this battle. I had counted on them, the crusaders and the cavalry to carry me through this. If they fall and the ghosts gang up on the cavalry things could get a little closer than I expected it to be. In fact, the cavalry and the crusaders aren't allowed to move at all. If they ghosts attack the archers, we're doomed. Fortunately, they can't get morale and their luck is neutral.

And this is why, after this round there are now 18 ghosts in this stack.

Let’s talk ghosts. :ghost:

Remember how I said that dragons are the strongest single unit? Well, ghosts are the strongest army. Stats are around level 4, but their specialty is what makes them dangerous. You don't want to come here if you have level 1 units and you'd better have a solid army if you bring level 2 units. Jon van Caneghem is legendary for it's many screw you moments in Might and Magic and ghosts are his way of doing that in the Heroes games. Every unit they kill joins their stack, even peasants become full powered ghosts. Having ghosts in the wrong location can and will screw you over early game.
There is however no way to recruit ghosts in this game. They did add a building in the expansion pack for Heroes2 and they're every bit as gamebreaking as you would expect them to be. Still, going into battle against a throng of peasants with 10 ghosts is hilarious.
I was sad to see them go after Heroes2, they are always exciting to fight.

I was also hoping for more archers support, but they’re not helping much either. Is this the difference between having some attack on your hero (Kilburn) and no attack on your hero (Natasha)?

Turn undead on the other hand just cleaned the 18 ghost stack. :smug:

Cavalry and Crusaders gang up on the ghost next to them.

It then decides to kill my swordsmen with its friends.

Turn undead may be my new favorite spell. The cavalry can’t reach anything, so they hold their position. I don't want the ghosts to reach my archers.

In the second heroes crusaders get a bonus against undead. I wish that were true here.

I’m all out of turn undead. So I just curse the ghost to nerf its damage and we wail on it until it’s dead again. By the way, yes you read that right. You can curse ghosts. The ability to curse them (or undead as a group) is removed in later games as, despite what stunning tales such as Twilight teach us, being undead is a curse in and of itself. Well, I'll gladly take this blessing and curse them.

Keep hitting.

All done and we get a +1 on spell power as reward.

And this as well. :) It’s a bit gaudy to my taste, but it’s the mages ring which gives a +2 to spell power.

Well, that went well.
Losses:
6 swordmen = 1.500
7 pikemen = 1.400
3 cavalry = 900
Total losses = 3.800
So that’s a net profit of -1.800…and a gaudy ring. Totally worth it.

Anyway, we buy some units and Wrathmont goes hiking.

Day 39

During Wrathmonts hike he encounters happy gargoyles that want to join us. Sweet. We now have 38 gargoyles. You see those minotaurs near the goldmine. That’s our target!

We’ve got some beef with them.

Let’s have them fight it out as long as possible.

The dragons pitch in by roasting two at the same time. The one at the front is already dead. The one in the back survived.

I already talked about the dragons and even posted this picture. But they're dragons and you can't talk enough about the most iconic Heroes unit. They're the strongest single unit in the game and are completely resistant to all magic. Full magic resistance is probably one of my favorite abilities balance wise. Yes, you can't target them with offensive spells, but on the other side, you can't buff, heal or protect them either.
Watch as they roll over the rest of the level. They become a lot less purple in later games, but are always expensive and one of the strongest or the strongest creature in the game. Replaying this game I was actually surprised to find out they're only medium in speed.

Anyway, the back one was alive until he did a whole 4 damage to the dragons. :vd:

Look at that goofy face.

I'm no expert on medieval weaponry, but this looks like a great way to hit yourself with that flail.

Dragons!

No kill like overkill! :black101:

And there you have the dragon death cloud as it uses its two space attack. :vd: Yes, it's the same as the gargoyle death cloud. And it's not so much of a cloud as more of a flame.

Meanwhile the minotaurs go at it like gladiators. So this is a great time to talk about minotaurs.

Minotaurs look rather dopey in this game with those big cow eyes, but they are really solid fourth level units. Good HP, good attack and defense. The only downside is the cost, they are quite expensive. Starting from Heroes3 they get a great specialty in that they always have positive morale.

Don’t you just hate it when someone is looking over your shoulder, constantly hovering behind you, checking your work? :(

After the battle, Wrathmont claims our goldmine.

Meanwhile, Natasha picks up some gold (+1.500) and attempts to get some swordsmen protecting a banner to join us.

This went badly for them, maybe crusaders aren’t the best diplomats.

This gives her a +1 to morale.

Back home in Tundara Kilburn buys more crusaders. Considering he doesn’t have anything better to do I send him out to pick up peasants and visit the fairy ring on the island.

Day 40
One fey farthing lighter Kilburn returns home, buys the cavalry and some archers. This is his last turn here. Next turn he’ll buy more archers and move out to attack yellow.

So before we leave never to return, here is a fully built Knight town.

We are currently only missing some mage guild levels. So this seemed like a good time to show it off.

Natasha was hoping for money, but she only found some crystal and a fireball spell. Time to head home and protect our house when Kilburn is away.

Wrathmont is trying to find green, but is distracted by this lovely looking cave. By the way, do you see the wagon camp? You can recruit rogues there, I have no desire to do so.

Day 41
Green just lost a town to yellow. Nice.

Wrathmont enters the cave, to be honest I don’t remember what you normally fight there, probably gargoyles. They're the only demonic looking thing in the game. :shrug:

Someone has already visited this location. Dejected Wrathmont leaves.

Kilburn spends all our money and heads to a boat, completely forgetting to take the artifacts Natasha has. Ah well, that ring probably didn't match his eyes.

Day 41
Wrathmont and Kilburn enter their new boats.
There is a weak enemy on the seas and Natasha hurries home.

Day 42

A week has passed. Everyone sails along, but Kilburn spots the weak yellow hero.

Day 43

Target acquired.

Using the view mines spell I quickly pinpoint the location of the yellow castle…that’s not something I ever imagined writing. Anyway, all towns always have an ore mine and a sawmill nearby. Just find them on the spell map and somewhere between them you're sure to find the castle.

Look who we can hire. Kastore wants to join the winning team. :smug: Right, let’s have him join up and give him a shovel.

Now, before I forget. This town is also almost completely built, it's just missing a single level of the mage guild. So let's have a look at a fully built and animated town.

I think the ultimate artifact is on that peninsula. According to his backstory Kastore is an elf, elves love digging right?

Day 44

Yellow is running like crazy.

Kilburn visits the windmill. Windmills provide you with a small sample of random resource each week if you visit them. I knew yellow had already been there, but it was quicker stopping on that then walking around it.

That is nothing. But I would like to finish it without her casting spells. I think I’ll gamble on good morale. I'll lightning bolt the druids and have the others run to the goblins. Hopefully they’ll get a morale boost.

No such luck, she flees. This is standard behavior if the AI has artifacts. If you beat an opponent holding artifacts you receive them. I saw her pick up artifacts before I reached her. :sigh: Ah well, we just have to cross the desert to get to the town that used to belong to green.

Time for Wrathmont to take a castle.

I blind their druids as those are their only fast units. Everyone else is medium speed. I hope my medium speed dragons, that I remembered to sort to the top, get to go first.

The gargoyles first gaze the elves to death and after getting a morale boost also kill the sprites.

Strangely the computer still counts the blinded druids as a turn as the tower still was allowed to shoot. I had hoped to stop that from happening, now the centaurs are no more. Share in my pain as the Death star fires when ready. No one can reach the unicorns until the druids are dead. Stupid tiny map.

Like now, they got their turn and attacked the dragons.

Unicorns are pretty and are the fifth level unit for the sorceress town. They have pretty solid attack stat, but are weak defensively. I’ll let the dragons handle them.

And handle they do. They even get a second turn thanks to morale, allowing them to finish the job.

Victory. Knowledge +1.

Welcome to Greywind. Enjoy the tune.]

Our new spell for today is cure.
Cure: cures all friendly troops of negative effects. So it's mass dispel for this game.

Druids are great shooter replacements and smell less than half horse people, so we buy some and off we go again. Maybe we can find some heroes to beat up.

Day 45

Victory? This means the barbarian castle is the last castle. Yellow already bought and killed a new hero on the wolves. :shepface:

Kilburn visits a shrine and gets a spell, view towns. Hah! I have view mines. :smuggo: Into the desert we go!

This is the view towns spell. This tells us all we needed to know. Yellow has no more towns left except the barbarian town.

Wrathmont explores more.

Kastore arrives and has to wait for tomorrow to dig in a random location.

Day 46

Crag Hack shows up as the new yellow hero. He's the only one who is as famous as Sandro. He shows up in some form in all (heroes of) might and magic games before the Ubisoft continuity. He is even the protagonist of Heroes3 shadow of death. He is name dropped in the Ubisoft continuity and shows up in a prequel expansion.

Wrathmont flags more stuff for us.

Kastore wastes a turn digging in the wrong location.

Kilburn keeps walking.

Day 47

Crag just entered the boat, I wonder if Kilburn can reach him.

But first we have to clear out a pack of wolves. I berserk the top one and the Cavalry moves before the archers. Not to protect them. I really don't expect the wolves to get a morale boost and reach the archers in a single turn. In addition if I move them they get in wolf range. No I move them, because If I don’t I’m afraid the crusaders won’t be able to move. Not that I need them this fight, but I want to finish this nice and quick and without losses.

Wolves have very weird attack animations.

This did not end well for that wolf.

Everyone pitches in. Fortunately wolves have the stamina of a house of cards.

That was the last one. No losses. Easy.

Now for that Hack. :black101:

That’s a lot of orcs, but for your information. Orcs are almost identical to archers, so for this army they're no threat at all.

Finally, some luck at the right time.

As everyone moves forward I blind the orcs. This should cause Crag to miss his turn completely provided I’m not stupid enough to attack them and undo the blinding. Which in turn means that we kill him without him even having a chance at casting a spell (not that he is any good at it).

All done. Spell power +1! We’ll make a wizard out of him yet. And he is just short of attacking the town.

Kastore moves a step to the side, Natasha is forgotten and Wrathmont explores some more.

Day 48

What they hoped to accomplish by running away I don’t know.

Kastore couldn’t dig due to something on the ground. :( So no ultimate artifacts this round, probably no ultimate artifact at all in this level.

Yeah, this could be difficult.

"I'm Kilburn a might wizard!"

New death cloud! This is the same death cloud the sprites create when they kill something. The magic death cloud.

One shot, one kill.

Victory! Now all I have to do is write some letters to the families of the deceased about how they died honorably during a long siege.

Winterkill? Really? It doesn´t even look like winter has ever been here. It’s also the worst town I’ve taken. I'm not counting the village because that's not a town.

Guess what, I can reach the fleeing enemy in a single go. Hooray for the compass!

We celebrate with a rain dance. The AI is so impressed they decide to participate. The swordsmen however aren't playing along.

The weather gods were not amused at their refusal to dance.

Dwarfs are pretty hardy, but I have an archer. Hah, who needs dragons or anti magic!

So, please share what you have learned about saving the environment? (Attack +1)

Bye yellow!

The war isn’t over yet, but this battle is. Onwards to the next level.
I suddenly realize I never posted my thoughts on the griffin. Looking back, that's because they never moved after I got them. :blush: Meh, we'll save it for next level.

Meanwhile in a separate timeline little over a week later:

Kastore dug so hard that he changes color in later games:

Meanwhile the computer was panicking because they didn't want to attack the almighty Kilburn while he was parked on their doorstep…menacingly. They bought three new heroes who spent all their time running around the desert not really doing anything.

We didn’t need all that extra might and it's not like you get to bring it along for the next level. But I wanted to show it off.

Next time we go Commander Boston Low on this game. (How many will get that reference.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Winterkill? Really? It doesn´t even look like winter has ever been here.

They're so :black101: they've killed all cold weather in the region, hence the name.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
loving. Ghosts. I still remember going against them, and how quickly it goes from "I can take 'em :smuggo:" to "Oh God I can't take them :gonk:" I mostly remember them from Heroes 2, though. They have a major downside if you use them in Heroes 2, right? I know they do in King's Bounty, but I thought they did in Heroes as well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Camel Pimp posted:

They have a major downside if you use them in Heroes 2, right? I know they do in King's Bounty, but I thought they did in Heroes as well.

Not really, besides giving the standard -1 to morale for having the undead in your army, and in King's Bounty their stack could roll over 9999, putting you back to 1.

Oh, and the ghosts in Heroes 2 have much worse stats than their Heroes 1 equivalent.

Scratch that, I had completely underestimated them from my knowledge alone, whoops. :doh:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 18, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Camel Pimp posted:

loving. Ghosts. I still remember going against them, and how quickly it goes from "I can take 'em :smuggo:" to "Oh God I can't take them :gonk:" I mostly remember them from Heroes 2, though. They have a major downside if you use them in Heroes 2, right? I know they do in King's Bounty, but I thought they did in Heroes as well.

Do you know, I don't think they do, actually. I'd heard tell of such a downside that was meant to be in Heroes 2, but... It doesn't appear to be the case. I've got it, so I'll see if I can double check at some point.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ghosts, the easiest way to deal with them is to just roll in with lots of magic or lots of heavy hitting, high HP creatures. Usually by about the midpoint of most matches you should have suitable forces for taking on haunted mines, and 9/10 those mines are gold mines so it is ALWAYS worth your while, once you can take the ghosts of course :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I attacked the ghosts on a whim, I really wanted to know if turn undead turned a stack or a unit. :shepface:

Aces High posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ghosts, the easiestonly way to deal with them is to just roll in with lots of magic or lots of heavy hitting, high HP creatures. Usually by about the midpoint of most matches you should have suitable forces for taking on haunted mines, and 9/10 those mines are gold mines so it is ALWAYS worth your while, once you can take the ghosts of course :v:

I fixed that for you. :v:
The most useless spell is haunt mines. It becomes guarded by ghosts and no one gets any resources from it as long as it's haunted.

JamieTheD posted:

Do you know, I don't think they do, actually. I'd heard tell of such a downside that was meant to be in Heroes 2, but... It doesn't appear to be the case. I've got it, so I'll see if I can double check at some point.
I have never heard of a downside. What downside would that be?
The only problem you have is that ghosts can only be recruited at the Barrow mound dwelling (Heroes2) and that is an extremely rare dwelling, so you have to actually put it on the map yourself if you want to abuse it.
The Morale thing is easily remedied. At some point you really have to ask yourself why you're even bothering bringing along other units when you have a 1.000 ghosts.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

I have never heard of a downside. What downside would that be?
The only problem you have is that ghosts can only be recruited at the Barrow mound dwelling (Heroes2) and that is an extremely rare dwelling, so you have to actually put it on the map yourself if you want to abuse it.
The Morale thing is easily remedied. At some point you really have to ask yourself why you're even bothering bringing along other units when you have a 1.000 ghosts.

Yeah, double checked myself, and it isn't a thing. See, one of the more common rumours about ghosts and Heroes 2 is that abusing ghosts led to them becoming hostile when they went over your leadership threshold. Which, of course, would have been hilarious if it were true, because then you'd have to play some very odd games with the stack sizes and combat. But it isn't, as far as I can tell.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ghosts bring back wonderful memories of the first time I fought them. Everything became ghosts. :ghost:

JamieTheD posted:

Yeah, double checked myself, and it isn't a thing. See, one of the more common rumours about ghosts and Heroes 2 is that abusing ghosts led to them becoming hostile when they went over your leadership threshold. Which, of course, would have been hilarious if it were true, because then you'd have to play some very odd games with the stack sizes and combat. But it isn't, as far as I can tell.
I've never even heard of that before.

edit: vvvvv that would explain why. :downs:

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 19, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JamieTheD posted:

You're thinking of King's Bounty. Leadership thresholds are not a thing in Heroes.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
In addition to the leadership issue, the KB ghosts are also converted into peasants when the week of peasants comes.

Reincarnation sure works strangely in the original KB universe.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

cuc posted:

In addition to the leadership issue, the KB ghosts are also converted into peasants when the week of peasants comes.

Reincarnation sure works strangely in the original KB universe.

Yeah, as I pointed out, I'd only ever heard of it as a rumour, probably a common conflation people have with King's Bounty (and an understandable one at that), and, honestly, never gone to the effort of farming ghosts like that. So it's definitely not a thing, I just wanted to make sure, because I've heard it so often, and played Heroes 2 the least. Also because Camel Pimp was curious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Commander Boston Low? So it's shovel time, is it?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Darth TNT posted:

Next time we go Commander Boston Low on this game. (How many will get that reference.)

I thought Kastore already had that covered this update.

Anyway, the siege tower will attack during a blinded unit's turn, but if you can blind the entire defending army, it won't get to shoot at all.

I think. Then again, I don't remember ever actually having occasion to do that (except in battles against single-unit armies that were a foregone conclusion anyway). I suppose it does help cut down on attrition while you wait for the walls to come down, even in those cases.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 20, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I am gonna go out on a limb and guess that Kastore's gonna be digging a bunch before he finds that Shield :v: the true HoMM experience. Actually the TRUE true HoMM experience is finding out an idea of where the ultimate is buried, then discovering that the cheating AI found it a long time ago.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Darth TNT posted:

The most useless spell is haunt mines. It becomes guarded by ghosts and no one gets any resources from it as long as it's haunted.

It sort of has a purpose in that if you're doing multiplayer you can dick someone over even if you can't take their town by casting it with a scout hero on what is very clearly a crucial mine for their whole strategy. I'm sure the computer will cheat around that on anything but the easy difficulty, but screwing someone out of a sawmill early or a gold mine you know they're just going to recapture the next turn was hilarious in homm2. I assume that carries over to 1.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No, first you prepare a stack of sacrificial peasants, THEN you haunt a mine. :moreevil:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Update 6
No letters today, we get straight to fighting.

The wounded land:
Chaos. A maelstrom of combat plagues the land. The people suffer, but will rally behind the wielder of the Eye of Goros, an artifact that can heal the wounded land. It was buried and lost eons ago. The first lord to uncover the Eye will unite the people and conquer the land ~ but it lies in a vast territory with only pieces of a puzzle to guide the way.

So yes, our goal today is to find the ultimate artifact. Good thing I practiced digging.
Apparently, a guy holding a giant eyeball inspires people to follow him.
The Eye of Goros was also a key quest item in the first Might and Magic, where Alamar of all people gave it to the adventurers after being freed. The item was then used to unmask Sheltem.

Our hero for today is Arturius, who came well prepared with a host of 35 peasants. Fortunately, he is obviously a badass since he has a large scar on his cheek. Let’s see if we can drive up that kill count. Woohoo! That pouch you see there, taunting me from behind the archers is the endless pouch of gold. I want it! It amuses me that I thought I would never see artifacts like this again only to encounter them 3 levels in a row.

We have made our home in beautiful scenic Sansobar, which comes with a prebuilt archery range. Nice.
I consider buying a mage guild, but ultimately the ability to conjure up pink elephants seems much more useful.

We find our first obelisk.

This sucks. It’s another knight and a barbarian. Good thing I didn't buy a mage guild yet. The barbarian comes with orcs, which are for all intents and purposes identical to archers, and goblins. The knight comes with peasants and archers. I ultimately pick angry Simon Pegg. He is a knight and as such synergizes better with the rest of the army.

Simon picks a chest +1.500 and then I hesitate. Next turn I’ll probably try and defeat that horde of peasants with him. This sucks, more archers are guarding that mine.

day 2

That’s a lot of obelisks that I need to find before I can get an idea.

Arturius inspires confidence by getting those peasants to join us. I wonder if those archers will join as well.

Meanwhile, Simon’s friendly smile has the opposite effect on the horde of peasants he’d found.

If this was chess, he was this close to getting his queen back.

There are a lot of villages in this game, I really didn’t remember there being this many.

Back home I build the blacksmith and hire a hero who is not a knight. Troyan the sorceress joins our ranks with the sorely needed not peasants flyer.

Diamonds are a girls best friend, so she’s naturally drawn to the gems and picks up the mercury afterward. I want to join her army with Arturius so we can take on those archers. I want my sack! :argh:

day 3

Ector (angry Simon Pegg) visits a windmill and gets some ore. That’s nice.

+1.000 gold thanks to Arturius who makes his way around the castle again. He meets with Troyan and gets her sprites.

Back home a mage guild is built. I…I can live with this, even if view mines isn’t going to be as useful in this level. I would have liked protection better. Somehow it feels like the AI has it out for me this level.

day 4

Just a quick stop for some spells. While there he also quickly digs a well so we can buy a blacksmith nxt run. :shepface:

Why am I doing this? Those stupid stones are really in the way. :(

We blessed the sprites. They do pretty good damage. In fact, let’s talk sprites.

I like sprites. They are the level 1 unit of the sorceress town. They're let down by their low health, but are otherwise good and capable of taking on even some level 2 units thanks to their useful special ability. If centaurs aren't the best level 1 unit, then sprites most certainly are. Flying units being broken in heroes1/2 helps as well. Sprites attack with such sparklesmight that enemies can't retaliate. Also look at that pose, they ain't taking any of your poo poo. Later incarnations make them less angry mom and more fairy/hippy girls. I wasn't happy when I found out Heroes3 left them out until the expansions. :(

And now they’re dead, it was fun while it lasted. At least we still have these screenshots to remember them by. By the way, those are my swordsmen walking.

My peasants are never reaching the other side with those stupid stones everywhere.

Now we’re talking.

My archers will not survive, but at least they took a stack along with them.

My peasants slowly make their way there. They were just shot, but I cursed the archer beforehand. Wouldn't want to lose to many of them.

Just in time guys, now give those swordsmen a back massage. :colbert:

But was it worth it?

That leprechaun is an idiot. YES! Give me that!

It's all mine!

We find another obelisk.

I have a feeling it’s going to be in the center of the map somewhere. Probably slightly offset from the middle.

Maybe Troyan knows a clever ruse to take over villages. Also, more archers to screw me over. This is the worst.

day 5

Resources and another obelisk.

We buy pikemen, time for a hostile takeover.

day 6

Attack!

This is unexpected. I thought it was a knight town.

Peasants beat flying girls.
Peasant kill count: 9

More blood! We’re getting hammered on the way there.

I probably should’ve attacked the dwarves first.

A well placed bless helps us out.

Peasant kill count: 12 :getin:

And in tradition the last hit belongs to the pikemen.

I underestimated this village, I had wanted to do this without losses. Normally villages slowly build up their forces, beginning weak and if you visit them a few weeks later there's a chance that they will have level 6 units. Since this is the first week (and I thought it was a knight village) I had expected a lot of peasants, a pack of archers and a few pikeman. In retrospect is was probably good that this was a sorceress town. If it had been a knight town we would have had to go into close combat with units that are close combat orientated. My overzealousness is going to be my undoing this level.
Still a victory, defense +1.

Meanwhile down below Troyan finds a hut and is traveling together with Ector. They also found a barbarian village.

Welcome to Hillstone! I’m happy that I now have a source of goodgood (haha, who am I kidding, all flying units are great in these games) flying units.
I buy the sprites. I wanted to buy cavalry back home, but I was lacking in wood.

Day 7

I’m hilariously short on common resources. I can’t upgrade my new home and I can’t build a jousting arena to get cavalry. So I buy another hero. I don’t want to lose too much time. So my old buddy Kilburn can wait for the week to change and then bring the units to Arturius who buys the sprites and attacks the archers guarding our ore mine. Money is the one thing I’m not going to be short in much in this level.

Ector is slowly scrounging up an army of his own. First he recruits the peasants in the cabin and after that he finds a cabin with archers who join for free. Strange, because I was certain you were only able to get level 1 units for free. :shrug:

Troyan meanwhile finds a graveyard, a great place for fighting more ghosts. It’s guarded by nomads a neutral creature. Nomads guarding a graveyard filled with ghosts? Sounds like a movie script.

Day 8

Precious units!

I’m going to leave the archers with Kilburn for the moment. Last time I fought them they all died. I can’t go through that emotional time again, we should be okay without them.

Why is the AI determined to screw me over? That crap in the middle is a natural wall. :ughh:

The sprites go work.

And call in sick the next round.

On the third turn we finally reach the other side.
“Have at you!”

I just lost a swordsman and that one guy is the difference between killing a stack and just leaving it alive.

We break our tradition and the swordsmen get revenge on their fallen friend with the last hit.

Some pikedude also died, but that’s to be expected. Swords rule.

Of course.

Ector finds a campfire +500 + 5 sulfur and Troyan decides not to tangle with those other guys yet and picks up some more goblins.

Day 9

Finally some ore!

Kilburn hands off the archers and moves to the windmill.

Troyan finds nothing.

Ector finds gold (+1.000 +700), a gem mine and an obelisk, the last two he will claim next turn.

I also discover that I’m an idiot. I apparently never flagged the sawmill. :bravodowns: No wonder I’m having trouble getting wood. Yes, I am the best person to demonstrate these games. :downs:

Day 10

10 days after I started I finally flag this stupid thing. It’s been unguarded for like a week.

Bad miller, I need ore!

Ector flags the gem mine and gets the obelisk.

Arturius returns home and buys the archers I didn’t buy last time. The sales person also convinces him to take some peasants along. :shepface:
Troyan heads to the sorceress village and Ector heads to the huts with units. He will be gathering them every week until I find something better to do for him.

Day 11
Ector reaches the cottages. Troyan takes up residence in her new home.

And I don’t want to be stuck anymore. We have scouting to do!

That went well.

The good things keep coming.

Troyan joins in the scouting fun.

Day 12

Troyan spots gold, while Arturius solves my ore problems. He finds a stack of 13.

Day 13

A new week, I was just short one day to get a jousting arena. :( Kilburn was already on his way to get units for Arturius.

Ectors gets archers.

He also gets more peasants.

Troyan finds a crystal mine guarded by rogues. And she finds 700 gold and an obelisk.

Arturius finds an obelisk and a laboratory. That last one will come in handy for my sorceress village…if I ever get the wood to upgrade.

Day 14

Troyan reaches the obelisk.

She also spots some very stylish shoes. She’s not going to pick them up. Spidersense is tingling.

Ector picks up the goblins and heads for the mill.

Kilburn reaches home and buys a spellbook. I wanted him to give reinforcements to Arturius, but I want to start exploring more. He instead moves out with a brand new army.

Day 15

Arturius must be a natural diplomat. I think it's the scar. Yes please, I’ll take some rogues.

The adventures of Ector.

Day 16

Just short! :argh:

More adventures for Ector. The units he gathered up join with Kilburn. Nice army.

Day 17

Called it! An unguarded artifact? As if such a thing exists.

We are so slow. :(

The rogues attack.

“Keep away from my friend!”

They gang up on my swordsmen and they should be very happy for their no retaliation perk.

We obviously take revenge when it’s our turn and in proud tradition the pikemen finish the last one.

Boots! These boots give you a 3 extra movement points on land. The compass I had last level gave me 5 points on land and one water. Not quite as good, but still very welcome.

I’m going to end the update here. Audience participation! I have two questions.

1: Currently Kilburn is staring at those gargoyles and griffins. I wanted to attack the gargoyles and scout out the flanks. However I'm certain the Eye is in the center of the map. I could keep the gargoyles and griffins alive as a natural barrier and instead attack the nomads. I'm sure there will be at least a few obelisks in the middle. What do you think I should do?

2: I have to save up 20 wood for my next purchase. The problem is, I need 20 wood for both the cathedral and to erect a castle on Hillstone. Don’t pull out your calculator, I already did the math. :smug: It’s around 40 wood in total to do both. Both are very useful. I’m thinking of saving up to upgrade the castle since it would get me better shooters fairly easily. Of course the problem there is that I will postpone getting the cathedral for a long time since I need wood for most basic structures. Once again what do you think?

See you next time when we hopefully do some actual digging and maybe find out what the AI has been up to!

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
1: Go through the Gargoyles. Beating up on the Ai will get you more income and troops to explore the rest of the map, while leaving them be lets you fall behind.

2: Cathedral first. If you're going to rush for the Ai, better troops now are preferable. By rushing, you can get your enemies castle(s) sooner, and get further troops from those.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Keep the natural "enemy barriers" until you need to expand, remember that the other factions can break through them as well.

And show off the different units, we've already seen the paladins. And since it's not us playing this... :sufferforlp:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

David Mullich posted:

So, on the pretense of introducing myself to everyone, I held one-to-one conversations with each artist.
I'm... not surprised they turned him into a hero. Guy's first day in the job and already weaving tangled webs of corporate plotting.

It ended up well, but I think I recall some interview mentioning that the dev team ended up hating Mullich's guts. Then again, hard to like your boss.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Keep the natural "enemy barriers" until you need to expand, remember that the other factions can break through them as well.

And show off the different units, we've already seen the paladins. And since it's not us playing this... :sufferforlp:

I'm playing the knight town in Heroes1 and I forget to even flag basic things. You can't make me suffer any worse than I already put myself through. :downssmug:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I say go for cathedral first. A few very powerful units are pretty much always better than a handful of lower tier units.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

build up the new town, may as well make some use out of it before the AI comes along and takes it from you. Actually I can't remember, how aggressive IS the AI in Heroes1? I know they're cheaty little shits in 2 and 3

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Go with big units. Bigger is always better, right?

Aces High posted:

I know they're cheaty little shits in 2 and 3
and 4 and 5 and 6. :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hey, I suppose it just wouldn't be a strategy game without cheating AI

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Darth TNT posted:

1: Currently Kilburn is staring at those gargoyles and griffins. I wanted to attack the gargoyles and scout out the flanks. However I'm certain the Eye is in the center of the map. I could keep the gargoyles and griffins alive as a natural barrier and instead attack the nomads. I'm sure there will be at least a few obelisks in the middle. What do you think I should do?

Keep those gargoyles and griffins alive as a natural barrier. If the AI has to deal with them then they might lose a few troops that you might otherwise lose yourself.

Darth TNT posted:

2: I have to save up 20 wood for my next purchase. The problem is, I need 20 wood for both the cathedral and to erect a castle on Hillstone. Don’t pull out your calculator, I already did the math. It’s around 40 wood in total to do both. Both are very useful. I’m thinking of saving up to upgrade the castle since it would get me better shooters fairly easily. Of course the problem there is that I will postpone getting the cathedral for a long time since I need wood for most basic structures. Once again what do you think?

Upgrade your castle and get those shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So..
3 for a Cathedral.
3 for upgrading the town.

Good job guys.

1 voted to kill the gargoyles
2 voted to keep the barriers alive.

Well, at least that's half a conclusion. Well, I really want to play because I'm behind my usual schedule. So I'll tally up my own vote as a tie breaker for the wood investment.

I'm building a castle and I'm keeping the gargoyles/griffins alive.

Just as a heads up. I probably won't have an update next week and I'm not certain about the week after that. Real life got in the way of my usual playing time this week (renovations, such fun) and I accidently made an appointment for next week.

edit:
Also, just as a heads up:

Good old Games still has their sales going and you can get the Heroes games including Chronicles on the cheap. I haven't actually bought Chronicles, my backlog is large enough as it is and the usual asking price of $5 isn't all that much so I don't care if I miss the sale. :shrug:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 29, 2014

• Locked thread