Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Have... have we done it? Have we finally achieved Peak ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I usually take vehement exception to the phrase "You couldn't make it up!", particularly as my day job is, genuinely, making mad poo poo up. But on this occasion, I have to admit utter defeat. I most certainly could never have made that up.

Bravo, pigeons of madness. Bravo. :golfclap:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Okay, well, now I've seen everything. Good job folks, let's go home.

This ride isn't over yet, and nor do I want it to be. :colbert:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ViggyNash posted:

This ride isn't over yet, and nor do I want it to be. :colbert:

Honestly you're right. I keep on thinking that this game won't top itself and then I keep on being proved wrong.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This game. :allears:

"Prepare to trigger the fangirls!"

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Yes… That abominable evil has been checked.
Hmmm… They probably won’t be back in business for a little while.
I wasn’t sure we could do it… I’m so glad the school’s okay!
This… was my sin. I should have realized sooner that he meant to harvest my blood for evil… Forgive me.
Don’t worry about it, Anghel! All’s well that ends well!

Try not to get tricked by any more bad grown-ups, okay?
Yes… I shall carve this lesson into my crimson chest, Sage of Nightmares.

Well, with the moral of the episode delivered, there was only one thing we had left to do.

My creation was perfect! It was the materials that failed me.
Those fangirls’ fantasies were dreadful! No one told me their energies would be so unharmonious! It wouldn’t have broken down if it weren’t for those fangirls…!
-pant-… -pant-…
Hmph. Oh well. No doubt he saw the power of my artistry. This was a declaration of war…

A phone rings.

Ah, Mr. Nishikikouji! This was very childish and irresponsible of you, understand? I want you to think about what you’ve done!
Shut up! This isn’t over yet!

When did you get him to give you his number!?

Anyway, it looks like he’ll probably retreat for now. Hopefully we won’t see him again anytime soon!

I guess this means your manga is back to square one, Anghel… But don’t worry! I know you can do it!

You always try your best, so I’m sure you’ll debut some day! And I’ll be there when you do!

Now, then--
My train of thought was cut short as my walkie-talkie went off.

Salutations, mon amie. Good work!
Yuuya! How do things look over there? I hope no one’s killed?
Don’t worry. The building is badly damaged, but we’ve already extracted everyone who was kidnapped from the Big Sight. We’ve got it from here.
Good work! Thanks, Yuuya!

He has all sorts of shady connections, so he’s really nice to have around in situations like this!

Looks like everything’s settled!

The music stops.

Oh, dear. Am I letting myself catch cold? Perhaps I should have brought an extra sweater.

And so, having saved the day from the Golden-Winged Messenger’s diabolical plans, we close the book on the second chapter. Let’s see what we’ve unlocked this time.

First, we’ve unlocked an extra picture in the Gallery.

It’s a character sheet for Nishikikouji Tohri!

Two more radio programs have also appeared.

And what’s the heart that’s appeared in the corner here? Well…

The most nervous day of the year is here again.
But, it looks like there’s someone here who doesn’t like this heart-throbbing, romantic day…?

We have another short story we can read about Legumentine’s Day!
Once again, I’m gonna need you guys to help me figure out what to do now.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, so with more possibilities, I need you all to help me decide how we’re gonna tackle the bonus content for chapter 2!

Which will we do first?
See the bonus material for this chapter, or
see the translated April Fool’s magical girl anime episode?

I would give you guys an option of doing the radio programs or the event first, but there’s (sort of) an order the game expects of you so I’ll just take care of that for you.
As for the second option here, the April Fool’s update has been officially translated, so we can see that all the way through now! And we just finished the magical girl chapter, so what better time to show it? Place your votes for which we’ll see first!

Edit: By the way, I'm glad you are were enjoying that last update. This chapter is so good and has so many cool things happening in it. Everyone's digging that fangirls line, but let's not forget this gem.
I’ve got more than just moe-loving pigs, after all.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Translated April Fool's episode.

Honestly, does this descent into madness never end?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm a moe-loving pig so I vote Translated Magical Girl Anime

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
drat fangirls always ruining everything :argh:

Magical girl anime for me please!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Bonus material. Let's build up suspense for the magical girl anime.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

CHiRAL posted:

drat fangirls always ruining everything :argh:

Magical girl anime for me please!

Those fangirls were so wrong, anyway. Everyone knows Sayaki, the dark and brooding common bronzewing is the seme. Just look at this doujinshi from the creator herself. Canon!

I want the anime too.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Pigeon animes are the best animes

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
drat it, you can't make me choose! Abstain, Let's see all the madness in whatever order wins the vote.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh gosh that Bishikikouji character sheet. So fab.

Show me the magical goils

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose if he'd released the limiters earlier, the fanboys would have gotten into a war over which Pretty Coore was the most moe?

Either way, the power of fans is a double-edged sword.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
My god. He didn't even need to use slash fangirls. He could have just used bishounen fangirls. Gentlemen, we have reached peak prettyboy.

Edit: I mean, jeez, I can't believe how feminine his design is. With the legs and the face and the hair, had I not already known he was a dude I would have sworn he was a flat-chested woman.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 27, 2014

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fates End posted:

My god. He didn't even need to use slash fangirls. He could have just used bishounen fangirls. Gentlemen, we have reached peak prettyboy.

There's quite a bit of overlap; it's probably best to use one demographic to lure the other in.

Also, perhaps that's where the "bishi" in "Bishikikouji" comes from. :v:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, since the great forums purge seems to have ended the voting prematurely, I'm gonna continue forward with the LP.

:siren: THE RESULTS :siren:
Magical bird anime XXXXXX
Chapter 2 bonus material X
ABSTAIN X

Alright, well in a landslide victory, we'll be looking at the April Fool's episode again, in full! I should have that up tomorrow, so I'll see you then!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

So during the last thread, Hato Moa released a special April Fool’s story called “Hatocatch Pretty Coore Dream Drop”, based on the anime referenced in this chapter of Holiday Star. Forum user nielsm was nice enough to do a rough translation of the story in the original thread, but it has since been properly translated, so I thought it’d be a good idea to revisit it now.

Also, a quick note: This translation seems to have running lines, so a word may occasionally be spread across multiple lines in the screenshots.
Also also, another quick note: There a couple tracks that aren’t directly credited and that I can’t find in any of Hato Moa’s usual sources, so if you know one of the tracks with an “Unknown” artist, let me know!

It’s no good… The fire’s already here…
Anghelrun! Anghelrun!

You’re safe! Thank Miyazawa…
The Land of Tranquil Everlasting Spring has been covered in Demon Mist… What is this…!?
The Wallenhawk nation attacked. Everyone is still fighting bravely at the castle, but we don’t have the power…
So, run. Please run, Anghelrun!
I cannot. I shall fight too!

B-but…!
Hoho, so this is where you were hiding?
I was ordered to capture every fairy. Please don’t run around so!

Let us make this quick, shall we? You know what will happen if you don’t come quietly.
Bah…
Hurry! Hurry and run, Anghelrun! Leave this to me!

The music stops.

I hit the alarm on my clock and slowly shifted myself into an upright position.

Nnnggh…

My name is Kawara Ryouta. I’m a pigeon and I go to the bird school, St. Pigeonation’s.
There are all kinds of birds there, but I’m just a normal rock dove, the same kind everyone sees everywhere.
I’m a normal dove with a normal life. Today I’ll eat and go to school, just like every other da--
I was interrupted from my monologue by the sound of my window breaking.
The music stops.

Coo!!
!?

M-mom, help! There’s a weird bird in my room!
Wait, don’t panic! It is too early to bring your parents in to this!
Wait, you’re hurt! There’s blood everywhere! A-are you okay!?
Fear not! This is but a mark of sun, carved on me since birth…

So… That’s just a marking on his plumage…?
That’s right, isn’t there a kind of pigeon in the tropics with a red spot like that?

Well, if you’re not hurt, that’s good…

You smashed open my window and now you’re kidnapping me…!? That’s too much! If you’re trying to take me hostage, do it when I’m on my way to school like a normal person!
This is no abduction. I cannot wake the power of legend if you do not come of your own will…!

Fallen Fairy…? That’s a new one.
Featherland, my adoptive home, has been attacked by the forces of Wallenhawk. At this rate, Fairyland will be plunged into eternal darkness…!
Right.
The fairies know only peace and the sweet scent of flowers, and are ill-suited for battle.
Okay…
The invisible boot of Wallenhawk shall trample down and crush our paradise!
Okay, got it.

The music stops.

I guess it’s finally spring. All the weirdos coming out of the woodwork…
O arbiter of the law, please do not refer to me as weird…!
He’s weird.
Very weird.
Confound it…!

Do not treat me as a child…!
Um, I’d better get to school. Is it okay if I leave him with you?
Of course. Have a nice day.

Before the policebird was able to take the strange bird into custody, a loud explosion echoed through the city, causing a small earthquake.

The music stops.

Wh-what was that noise?
The Demon Mist… So, it has begun…!
What was that noise? Hmm… I see smoke from the school. Is there a fire?
From the school!?

I couldn’t waste any time. I ran quickly towards the school, hoping that nothing too bad had happened.

Aaah! The schoolyard is a mess! It looks like it got hit by a meteor…

A bird came stumbling out of the wrecked school building. Is that…

K-Kawara! Be careful, it’s dangerous here!
Prof. Nanaki! What happened?
The beast! The terrible monster…!

Loud footsteps shook the ground. Something big was coming towards us.

Th-the ground is shaking!

A pink pelican!
Why is there a giant pink pelican!?
I don’t know! And why are you calling it pink? It’s white!
They’re only pink during the mating season, professor! Also, in English they’re just called “white pelicans”.
I see… Hmm, that’s going to cause some problems in the English release.

While Mr. Nanaki and I spoke about the identity of this monster, it took its chance to strike.

!?
Aieeeee! Help!
Professor!
Munsh munsh!
!!
S-sir! Hold on! You can still escape with your life!
It’s no good…!
Gaaaaaaaaaaaah! Spit him out! Spit him out, you stupid pelican which knows not with what it trifles!

But it was too late. I could hear a loud gulp coming from the pelican.

Noooooooo!
Aaah… I’ve heard of pelicans eating other birds alive before, but this is too much…
Wahahaha! Well done, Dark Pelican! Destroy this puerile monument to youthful glee!
You! Are you the one who released this monstrosity!?

You need to learn to control your pets! Look at the misery you’ve wrought!
Misery is my job! I am here to stylishly flatten this town, in the name of the Empire!
Attack, Dark Pelican! Leave nothing standing! Consume all!

Huh?
What?
No! Not me, you imbecile! Put me down!
Nnnnnoooooooo…!

……
Does this pelican have no standards…!?

Now, the only thing standing in the way of the pelican was… me.

Aaah, I’ve got to run! But at this rate it’ll eat the entire school! What do I do…!?

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of glass breaking from the school. Who--

Coo!!
Anghelrun!

This isn’t the time for that! This scene was supposed to be dramatic!
Listen to me! And make a wish! Call forth the power of love to protect peace and tranquility!
Th-the power of love…?
The power of love! Don’t you want to protect this school, and this town…!?
Graaaaawwwww!
I do, but I’m just a pigeon! How am I supposed to fight that pelican!?

I…

That’s right… All my memories, good and bad, are of this town, of this school. And those memories can never be replaced…!

I… I want to protect everyone!

I could feel… something growing inside of me. I felt a wave of energy and--

As foretold in legend, the Pretty Coore know no pain from fatigue, indigestion, minor to severe bruising, lower back pain, or muscle stiffness! Go, and fight with all your heart!
Eyaaaaaah!
Skreeeeee!
It’s working! This is amazing! I punched something and it hurt it more than it hurt me!
Graaaaww!
Now! Strike the beast in its evil vitals!
Leave it to me!

Now I just need to get everybirdie out of its stomach. Hopefully they’ll just be a little vinegary…
Well done, chosen one! But… this fight is not yet won!
Huh? It isn’t?
The soldiers of Wallenhawk still remain…!

The music stops.

What? Isn’t that backwards? Shouldn’t the soldiers come out first, and the boss fight come last?

I mean, I took out the beast already, a bunch of soldiers shouldn’t be a problem… Bring it on!

Hiyaaaa!
!?
H-hey, Anghelrun! These soldiers seem awfully strong! Like, way stronger than the boss!
Yes!
What!?
Battles are won by numbers… such is the way of the Cursed Realm!
So, I’m outnumbered and you’re saying that’s bad?

But being a Pretty Coore makes you strong! And does wonders for your stomach.
That is not an issue for me!

Already!? It’s only chapter two!
Use caution, chosen one! This monster crawled with terrible power from the deepest pits of Hell…!
By the way, I’m your dad!
WHAAAT!?

The music stops.

Oh!

The sound of glass breaking is heard.

Nooooo, not AGAIN!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

:allears: This game.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ChorpSaway posted:

By the way, I’m your dad!
WHAAAT!?

My God, who could have seen such a twist coming????

Also I have decided that birds in hats are the cutest thing after seeing that police officer.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
This was the most delightfully ridiculous thing I have seen in some time. :3:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This game. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is a wonderful little diversion, using the new birds splendidly.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
In related news: A preview of the upcoming Hatoful Boyfriend sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30uLWnyGy4

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Part 2: The Pigeon and The Partridge

Hello, everybirdie! This is Kawara Ryouta, from class 2-3. It’s time for the second round of the question corner!
Independent programs like this don’t have to worry about viewer numbers, so we can take it easy. It’s very relaxing! Aren’t you feeling relaxed?
Anyway, this episode will be mostly spoiler-free, as well. Spoilers for the BBL will probably start showing up in the second half… I think? At any rate, everyone can listen to this without worrying.
Let’s start looking at letters. This time there are three for me!

How do I feel…? I’m not sure. I only ever cross-dress at work, after all.
It would be sort of like if I worked at a convenience store and put some sort of emotional weight into the act of wearing the apron… or something. It would be very strange.
And as for it being an excuse, well… That seems odd, too. It’s just a normal part of life to me.
On to the second letter! This is from one “Areko”.

There is a time limit, but you can ask for me any time you’re at the café. I’ll be waiting!
And now the third, from “coolenesexual”.
…I wonder if that’s the person who comes by every Friday?

Come again soon, master! ~☆
I don’t usually do this outside of the café, but… I had them get me a sailor uniform for this, so I’ll be back in a minute.

This is the first time I’ve worn a sailor uniform, actually. It’s a little drafty for this time of year…

W-what!? That’s too much of a mortality rate! I’m not in enough of a hurry to play Russian Roulette, you know… A-and don’t go changing the background music like that!

This is the question corner, Doctor. There’s a letter for you and me--may I read it to you?
What foolishness is this…
…Very well. We shall discuss the compensation later, of course.
I probably don’t want to know what you’ll ask for… But, thank you.
It’s from someone named Yuuya, and was sent on December 6th.

Thank you, Yuuya!
…This person seems quite well-informed.

Another December child! Happy birthday, Yuuya!
……
…You should say something too, Doctor!
Why? It is merely another year in their life. What reason is there to celebrate?
Aaah… Not that I had expected much from you, anyway.
I’m sorry, Yuuya. I’ll congratulate you for the doctor, as well!
Happy birthday!!

Merry Christmas!!!

If perhaps you have a change of heart and decide you would like to have your limbs and organs replaced, do let me know. Hohoho…
D-don’t even joke about that sort of thing, Doctor!
Umm… Seeing as the doctor is here, I’ll read a few more of these.

Do you, Doctor?
No, I do not make a habit of relying on such establishments. I simply do not leave anything in there which would be troubling to have stolen.

……
U-umm, I think not, Mr. Gull Guard. The doctor doesn’t seem interested. And that’s where I hide…
Pardon me, then. Please do call if you change your mind.

Likewise.
Yeah, really…
Time for the last one. This is from one “Helplessly in Love”.

What do you think, Doctor?
A foolish question. “I was visiting a town for the first time. The first man I met had a round face. Does everyone in that town have a round face?”
…Or something like that.
It’s from someone outside the school, so maybe you could answer less aggressively…?
Aggressive? Whatever do you mean? I believe I answered in a clear and concise fashion. There is no species of bird without individual differences.
Uuuummm… This is hard…

Chukar partridges’ eyes aren’t completely round, so they do look a little bit lethargic, or maybe suspicious. Also, when they hold their heads out, their necks are surprisingly thin.
They can look very vulnerable when they’re taking dustbaths, too!
……Do you take dustbaths, Doctor?

You must do it every once in a while, then. A defenseless, dustbathing Dr. Iwamine… A fascinating idea, if only because of how hard it is to imagine… I think I’d like to see it.
Curiosity killed the cat.
Yes! Yes! I know!
Is that enough? I believe the material from last night’s experiment will be ready soon, and I would very much like to go home.
Yes, we’re done. Sorry for holding you up! Thank you!

Then again, there are so many letters for the doctor… I’ll have to bring him back on at some point. Maybe next time I should get him a present or something to butter him up beforehand.

Broadcast End

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Iwamine installs another layer of barbed wire around the dust bath pavilion. No one can ever know.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Typo! But not yours. Iwamine says "come into come into" in the screenshot where he's explaining why dustbathing is no longer necessary. Whoops!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Glazius posted:

Iwamine installs another layer of barbed wire around the dust bath pavilion. No one can ever know.

It's okay, Doctor, we don't kink shame here. :unsmith:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Legumentine’s Chronicles

Deliveries? I had thought the first run wouldn’t be arriving until next week.
Editor: These aren’t magazines, sir. They’re beans.
And who here sent away for beans?
Editor: Oh, right, this is your first time. It’s a tradition, sir. Readers always send beans addressed to their favorite characters on Legumentine’s.
They send them to their favorite characters!?

Editor: Well, you’re not very popular, sir.
This is a gross injustice! How dare they all have fun without me just because it’s Legumentine’s!?
Editor: I don’t think anyone sends beans to the editor-in-chief anywhere, sir. It’s really not worth worrying about.
No, this is a grave state of affairs. We must cause swift and terrible retribution to fall on the heads of those who dare have fun without me!

This is the place you recommend, Okosan?
Coooooo! (That is correct! There are many beans in the basement of the High Society Seagull Department Store!)

I’m not sure if it’s the employees’ attitudes, or the employees’ attitudes, or… it might even be the employees’ attitudes, but there’s something I just don’t like about this place. Then again, Okosan is the biggest gourmet in town, so if he says it’s the best, it must be the best.
I suppose that I can put aside my unknown problems with the department store if it guarantees quality for my friends.

Let’s head in!

However, Okosan and I were left with our mouths (and beak) agape as we saw the state of the store.
The music stops.

Okosan, everything’s sold out!
Coooooo!? (This is not right! Are there not always great quantities of beans here, even on Legumentine’s!?)
Those, and those, and those, and those. I’ll take all of them. Yes, those too.

!
I suddenly heard a familiar, villainous voice. I can’t believe him!

Mr. Nishikikouji!

Cooo! (This is miserable and unmanly market monopolization! That gaudy bird is trying to corner the market!)
Why are you doing this, Mr. Nishikikouji!? How can you start hoarding the bean supply on Legumentine’s!? Are you buying all these to give them to yourself!? Just how vain and self-absorbed are you!?!?
You lack imagination, my girl! What a terrible pity. Why should I do something so low?

That’s low!!!! That’s so low it’s almost making me laugh!!!!!

Tender, passionate young hens, swept up by the gentle, flowery winds of first love, flock to this establishment, the foremost purveyor of celebratory legumes in the city, only to find every variety, every color, every size, sold out! Their hopes dashed at once, and they are left in despair!
Aaah, how beautiful! Magnificent, artistic tragedy! Hahahahahahahaha!!!

This seems a bit convoluted even for a Tokusatsu villain’s plan…

You’ll never be happy with yourself if you keep thinking like that. Act your age, Mr. Nishikikouji! Here!

I grabbed a small bag from my skirt pockets and threw it to Mr. Nishikikouji, who caught after a bit of fumbling.

The music stops.

Courtesy beans! I’m just giving them to you to be nice, but it should still make you feel a little better about your life!
Do you mock me!?
No! I’m just being polite!
You’re mocking me!
Don’t you want them? At least this way you’ll have gotten some from someone.
Agh…

The gaudy pheasant seems extremely unnerved by my proffered beans.
This… couldn’t possibly be the first time he’s ever gotten beans on Legumentine’s, could it…?

I am busy. I’m going home!

Having reconsidered his attempt to corner the bean market, the golden pheasant left.

Cooooo! (Goon stopped him! Goon is a true warrior!)
Half of these bins have nothing left but little signs saying they’re sold out, but… what’s left should be enough.

And so, Legumentine’s Day was saved! Thanks to… Goon Lourde!

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Tohri's life must be... interesting.

"Who dares interrupt me during a meal with offers of frivolous merchandise? I will destroy the telephone lines!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, Mr. N. You are the best villain.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Part 3: Special Talk Show

Good evening, folks. I am the grand artist, who has offered his life, his very soul, up to the imagination, Nishikikouji Tohri. Welcome to our special time, which you shall spend with me!
I don’t imagine there are many listeners who don’t already know it by heart, but allow me to give a brief introduction of my glorious, exemplary career so far.
Once I was the ace of the Second Optical Ordinance Division of the Hawk Party research organization, and now I am a manager at the Crow Party, and also chief editor of the popular Golden Weekly magazine!
I doubt anyone in the world is as busy as I am. You are all incredibly grateful that I am taking this time out of my schedule to conduct a question and answer session, of course!

The music stops.

Bah, it won’t open no matter how much we push or pull… It must be locked from the inside.
What do we do? At this rate an entire chapter of the radio program is going to be overrun with some unfortunate golden pheasant disaster!
You in there! Open up, this instant! You were bad enough in the Legumentine’s short--are you planning to ruin this, too!?
Do you think an outside like you will go unpunished for this!? We won’t stop at charges of trespassing, you hooligan!

Now, then! Let us begin my artistic question and answer session.
The first one is from a young lad by the name of “Hatomi is Mai Waifu”.

The music stops.

……
Hey! What!? What is this!?

Do you realize how long Mr. Takakishi Pou labored in obscurity, even after he made his debut in high school!?
Living the ignominious life of a non-serialized author… Even when he could get serialized positions, he was never popular in questionnaires, so he’d always be dropped! You cannot possibly comprehend how he suffered.

Do you have any idea how much sweat, and how many tears, and how much of his own lifeblood he has poured into “Golden☆Dove”!? You don’t, do you!? You know nothing of the joy of a long-running series, you disgusting philistine!
So don’t just go talking about discontinuing it! Geez!
Aah… Well, then. Next one.

The music stops.

On the contrary, he seems to be ignoring us entirely. I can’t believe a disgrace like this is allowed on campus! It is most vexing.
You two having trouble?

Yuuya!
No one asked for you to show up!
…Wait, what are you carrying?
I’ve got permission to force my way in. Gotta protect the peace and tranquility of the campus, after all.
I’m going to break this door down whether it’s locked or not. Get back a little.

Then don’t buy it! Why would we want readers as low-minded as you, anyway!?
Don’t you think something is wrong with this trend among publishers of trying to out-compete each other through bonus items!? A magazine should be judged by what’s inside! That is where the competition lies!
Do not be fooled by those frivolities. The real artistry lies sparkling withi--

A gunshot is heard.

Wh… What is a high school student doing with that thing!?
Didn’t you know, Mister? It’s a must-have item for any fashionable teenage boy!
We have you surrounded! Come quietly, and don’t try anything!
Let’s make this as nice as possible, shall we? I don’t want to have to shoot you. Not very much, anyway.
That rifle… Aah, I see. So you’re with JB…

The sound of glass breaking is heard.
The flapping of wings follows.
The music stops.

Darn it, there goes another window…
If you’re going to go leaping out a window at least open it first!
Anyway, we’ve secured the broadcast room. We’re short on time, so you should probably get started.
Right. Thank you, Yuuya!
But… Where does he keep getting those things…?

The How and Why of St. Pigeonation’s! Here’s the question box!

I’ll be joining in today.
This time we’ve got questions from Westerners! My English isn’t very good, so Sakuya will be helping out.
Already in high school and you still can’t use English? Your future is bleak indeed.
I’m not planning to go overseas, so it won’t be that bad… I hope…
All right, first question! From one “ssfsx17”.
…That… sounds more like a password than a handle…

“What is Hiyoko’s favorite weapon – the bow, the sword, or the spear?” Can you answer that, Kawara?
Hiyoko’s favorite weapon…? Well, a few years ago she really liked the Bamboo Pole, but I think lately she’s been using the Copper Sword more.
A copper sword for hunting? Wouldn’t it be a bit dull for that?
It doesn’t cut very well, but she said it doesn’t matter because she just bludgeons everything to death anyway.
All right, let’s keep going. We are a little short on time, thanks to a certain someone! This is for you, Sakuya.

Never!
Hey, translate it into English first! Or Japanese, I guess, since this is the English release. I don’t actually need you here at all, but if we started cutting whole characters out of scenes just because language barrier jokes don’t really work then things would get pretty confusing pretty quickly, right?
“Sakuya, please let me touch your feathers. I want to touch your feathers.” Why should I let myself be touched by common riffraff!?
That’s too bad, rabbitdoubt. Maybe he’ll let you touch them if you become nobility.
This one’s anonymous.

“What are your thoughts on Brian Pigeon? Do you consider his blog to be quality literature?”
On second thought, maybe it would be okay if you didn’t bother repeating everything, after all.
Look here, peasant! I’ve got one job on this lousy show. It’s stupid, but I’m going to do it! Is that clear?
Okay, okay…! Anyway, Brian… Wait, who?
Don’t you even know that, you ignoramus!? He is a great pigeon from the great land of Great Britain, and the very first intelligent columbid! Go Google “Brian Pigeon”, for the good of us all.

Of course it’s in English. He lives in London.
His posts may even count as fine literature--at the very least, they’re culturally quite valuable. They will definitely leave a mark on avian history to come.
Wow, he must be really important. I’ll have to work hard on my English, so I can read his blog!
Here’s the last one… It’s anonymous, too. It’s for San.

Don’t act so proud, neophyte!
Well, I guess that’s about it for today.
Indeed, we shall have to cut this session short. It’s almost time for the school to close. Let us make a smooth exit.

Broadcast End

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

ChorpSaway posted:

Look here, peasant! I’ve got one job on this lousy show. It’s stupid, but I’m going to do it! Is that clear?

Gonna be honest, I was not expecting to see that particular reference in this game.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I'm really curious about what the original Japanese-English translation jokes were, does anyone know?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Gyre posted:

I'm really curious about what the original Japanese-English translation jokes were, does anyone know?

Given this line:

Hey, translate it into English first! Or Japanese, I guess, since this is the English release. I don’t actually need you here at all, but if we started cutting whole characters out of scenes just because language barrier jokes don’t really work then things would get pretty confusing pretty quickly, right?

I'm willing to believe that it's a meta-joke that was added just for the translation. Plus, I believe many of these questions came from an actual question box that Hato Moa set up for both Japanese and English fans, so there was an in-universe reason to bring in a translator in the original release. But now it's played off as a gag since everything's in English.
Though if anyone knows for certain and can validate me/prove me wrong, I'd love to know!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ChorpSaway posted:

It doesn’t cut very well, but she said it doesn’t matter because she just bludgeons everything to death anyway.
Hiyoko you are the best. :allears:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's probably worth mentioning that the Bamboo Pole and Copper Sword are both weapons from Dragon Quest. (Upgrading from the former to the latter is something you end up doing very near the beginning of most games in that series.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Mr. N just can't catch a break, can he?

• Locked thread