Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It was visually excellent, the plot was involving enough, and there was a sweet two dudes exo-suit fighting it out with blossom action semi-climax followed by a Jesus climax. The fight was really good though. Well shot, edited etc.

Bloomfkamf would've been great with a Halo movie is my summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

osietra posted:

It was visually excellent, the plot was involving enough, and there was a sweet two dudes exo-suit fighting it out with blossom action semi-climax followed by a Jesus climax. The fight was really good though. Well shot, edited etc.

Bloomfkamf would've been great with a Halo movie is my summary.

I still can't believe he did that short proof of concept for like no money and they had any reaction other than bending over backwards and letting him do whatever he wanted with whatever studio he wanted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BaVb2TlWb0
(I don't why the uploaded labeled this as 2014)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I though it was cool that every Halo game after that payed tribute to his stuff. There were cut scenes that were pretty much shot and edited like a Blomkamp flick. POV Camera shots, mixed in with gritty action. It made me smile.

Microsoft poo poo the bed with that one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but the trailer for his next film, Chappie, hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXwichuGW28
Die Antwoord teaches a robot how to be a gansta love. But apparently he's too funky, so Hugh Jackman gets scared.
It looks amazing.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Another minor point I feel I need to address:

After Jodie Foster blows up the ships in the beginning, and then the president brings her before the committee to account for her actions, she makes this statement/inquiry - "Do you have children? No answer? Then I will assume you do not" She doesn't know? How could she not know?

While this establishes that Foster is willing to do whatever it takes to protect the haves from the have-nots, she asks in a manner that genuinely suggests that she does not know whether or not the president does or does not have children.

How could she not know? Everyone in the entire universe could recognize this person from miles away because he is the leader of EVERYTHING, the most powerful person on earth and Elysium. Everything there is to know is known about this guy is known. We knew Ronald Reagan liked Jelly Bellys. We know Barack Obama used to smoke. We know what all the presidential pets names are. To suggest that anyone anywhere over the age of 12 doesn't know the family status of the King poo poo of Paradise is dumb.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
She doesn't know because she doesn't care, basically.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, it's a rhetorical question. Honestly, when she said that, I could easily seeing Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin saying that to Obama or some other opponent during a political debate, even though they would know full well he does have children.

I still have this feeling that with the fact of Foster being redubbed and the character name being changed to Delacourt from a more Anglo-Saxon name, I wonder if Foster was original performing the character as a Midwestern hausfrau-turned-politician and Blomkamp thought it was either too close to home or most of the world wouldn't get it, so he changed her to a Francophone to play on the stereotypical Eurotrash villain trope.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's a rhetorical question. Honestly, when she said that, I could easily seeing Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin saying that to Obama or some other opponent during a political debate, even though they would know full well he does have children.

I still have this feeling that with the fact of Foster being redubbed and the character name being changed to Delacourt from a more Anglo-Saxon name, I wonder if Foster was original performing the character as a Midwestern hausfrau-turned-politician and Blomkamp thought it was either too close to home or most of the world wouldn't get it, so he changed her to a Francophone to play on the stereotypical Eurotrash villain trope.

I doubt her name was changed, they did the redub because test audiences didn't like her French accent.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I doubt her name was changed, they did the redub because test audiences didn't like her French accent.

No, it was changed. Her name was originally Rhodes, but was changed at some point in production. Some of the concept art even associates her and the character with the name Rhodes. Even some of the embossed dossier props that were put up for auction had the name Rhodes, so it makes me wonder if the briefing with Patel (where those dossiers were used) was a reshoot.

There's an interview with her at the 2012 SDCC where the interviewer uses that name and is corrected by Foster...

quote:

The fact that Secretary Rhodes is a woman –
Her name is Delacourt now! They changed it. Minister Delacourt. The press kit must be wrong!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

No, it was changed. Her name was originally Rhodes, but was changed at some point in production. Some of the concept art even associates her and the character with the name Rhodes. Even some of the embossed dossier props that were put up for auction had the name Rhodes, so it makes me wonder if the briefing with Patel (where those dossiers were used) was a reshoot.

There's an interview with her at the 2012 SDCC where the interviewer uses that name and is corrected by Foster...

I stand corrected.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Too heavy-handed a reference to Rhodesia.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No, she doesn't care, and I get that the president is a figurehead, and if he actually had the power, he would either 1) fire Delacourt on the spot, or better still 2) have someone in that cabinet position he could control. Yes, she belittles him, suggests he is weak, and is just a puppet ("don't you have a fundraiser to attend?"). Asking the question to mock him in order to be cute/get her point across/put him in his place I could see, it's just the way the line was written/delivered made it seem like she truly didn't know.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nerdfest X posted:

it's just the way the line was written/delivered made it seem like she truly didn't know.

I find the idea that Delacourt, like Carlyle, has spent so much time interacting with robots that she's not very good at interacting with people any more fairly convincing. Her delivery is kinda mechanical, like she has decided on the response and is performing the response, and is consequently much more talking at Patel than talking to him.

Neo Rasa posted:

Too heavy-handed a reference to Rhodesia.
I don't think a reference to Cecil Rhodes is heavy-handed but it does seem out of place when we're looking at the rich much more as people who have removed themselves than people who are imposing themselves. A Minister Rhodes would belong much better in District 9.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I find the idea that Delacourt, like Carlyle, has spent so much time interacting with robots that she's not very good at interacting with people any more fairly convincing. Her delivery is kinda mechanical, like she has decided on the response and is performing the response, and is consequently much more talking at Patel than talking to him.

Part of me wishes they had gone with those Google Glass Emoji masks that showed up in the concept art, just because I'm envisioning something like the T-800's decision list in The Terminator through her HUD.

quote:

• YES/NO, MISTER/MADAME PRESIDENT
  • I WILL MAKE AN ACTION PLAN AND PURSUE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
  • gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat
  • DO YOU HAVE CHILDREN?
  • I POLITELY DISAGREE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think a reference to Cecil Rhodes is heavy-handed but it does seem out of place when we're looking at the rich much more as people who have removed themselves than people who are imposing themselves. A Minister Rhodes would belong much better in District 9.

You don't consider the state the people of earth are in to be related to the rich people in the space station?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Neo Rasa posted:

You don't consider the state the people of earth are in to be related to the rich people in the space station?

That is neither what I stated nor implied.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe he did that short proof of concept for like no money and they had any reaction other than bending over backwards and letting him do whatever he wanted with whatever studio he wanted.

That's exactly what happened, we got District 9.

Microsoft ended up passing because they couldn't do business in Hollywood the way they expected to.

As a concession, Peter Jackson, who'd brought him into the project thinking he'd make an easy mint, not expecting Microsoft to gently caress it up, offered him 30 mil and full contron of Wetta Studios for as long as he needed. Neil ended up making the movie he wanted to make. It's a good story.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Why does anyone even want a Halo movie? The games already happened, they were fun as poo poo.

... what do movies have to do with it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

Why does anyone even want a Halo movie? The games already happened, they were fun as poo poo.

... what do movies have to do with it?

Dude there are Halo books...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'll give Blomkamp a pass for having all the white South African characters in his movies cartoonishly evil because white South Africans are in fact cartoonishly evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU

• Locked thread