Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Black Bones posted:

I love both, the only real difference is that one focuses on race and the other on class. Which of course are connected issues.

This affects the endings: the ambiguity of the first is because there will always be an racial/cultural Other, although certainly there is hope to overcome those divisions, there will always be different people who freak us out with their differences. The second is a clear victory, since universal healthcare are such unambiguously good thing, which is really easy to achieve, provided people stop doing what selfish myopic rich losers say.

I think the real error is looking at the "medpods as UHC" as the only analogy. The real theme is "control over a post-scarcity world". The original MacGuffin was actually supposed to be Star Trek-like matter replicators, but they dialed that back because it strained credibility further. I mean, why would the Elysians be concerned about money if they could build anything they want? But that's the whole point, they've become so entrenched in a two-century status quo that they can't envision anything except that. I think that even the whole bit about Max building the police robots that oppressed him instead of having them built through automated factories comes from that as well. They need to see people being employed, not just thematic irony or because it's some cheap-rear end "humanitarian" doublethink like what Patel employs, that's the way we've been doing despite that labor being largely superseded.

I haven't seen this film since it was in theaters but I have to admit that it's the perfect thing. I think I've made some indirect reference to it in just because it feels that it's going to be a logical conclusion of our current politics. When I saw Delacourt talking to Patel about whether or not he had children, I pretty much saw Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann. I'm really wondering if Foster had performed Rhodes without a French accent and it was too spot on of a comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Black Bones posted:

In what scene did they lose the technology to build more space stations? Travel further into the stars?

This was a point made in the thread when it was theatrically-released. The Elysians have space vehicles that contain a tremendous amount of delta-V inside a compact package, but they purposely remain within Earth's orbit on a single space station. The same amount of acceleration needed to leave Earth's surface is roughly the same to travel and land on Mars. And the Elysians not only have routine sorties that dump captured immigrants back on Earth and return to the habitat, but have personal space shuttles that can travel at a moment's notice. It's that the Elysians choose to stay and throw afternoon tea-parties and perpetually sunbathe in low Earth orbit instead of build new habitats or colonize and exploit the resources of the solar system. The Elysians have become idle and apathetic and a space exploration/exploitation would upset their carefully-maintained balance. They're just a stone's throw away from becoming the denizens of the Vortex from Zardoz.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Reveilled posted:

I remember when I saw this film realising they were going for a Space Jesus thing, but I felt they got so tied up in making the main character gritty and an Anti-hero that they messed up and made him into Space Judas instead.

Max was always kind of conceived as a more gritty and selfish character. You have to remember that this was originally what he looked like in the concept art. He was supposed to be a straight-up cyber-vato that may or may not have been gainfully employed or still commit street crimes.

:nws:Here's him killing someone with a shotgun and feeling kinda happy about it (probably Kruger, who was to be dispatched with a shotgun blast to the face, then return as a Metal Gear in the third act)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I loved this movie, but I still can't believe they were almost going to roll with that character coming back as a giant cyborg bear and that we missed out on seeing such a thing on the big screen.

Not quite. Ben Mauro's Metal Gear-like mecha and Aaron Beck's cyborg bear were just two of the options. Beck also developed the Ion Wolf concept as well, which would run around the battlefield on all fours but stand upright for more cautious work.

Also, I love that Armadyne's name in the concept art is straight-up Raytheon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I kind of feel like Max was still supposed to be a selfish dickhead, but he's played by Matt Damon, so there's a pretty strict ceiling on how unlikeable he can be. Matt Damon's just too cool a dude.

In the movie that will never be, Max was to played by Ninja of Die Antwoord or Emeniem. That would likely given him that edge that Damon kinda lacked. At the same time, I think his Max worked better an everyman, and average folks can be pretty selfish.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

But you could do that with voting machines.

And Elysium's Central Core is more akin to rewriting the Constitution (along with creating a vote record for an amendment in Congress, etc.). Spider literally could have made himself President For Life Ever if he had wanted to.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

She doesn't know because she doesn't care, basically.

Yeah, it's a rhetorical question. Honestly, when she said that, I could easily seeing Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin saying that to Obama or some other opponent during a political debate, even though they would know full well he does have children.

I still have this feeling that with the fact of Foster being redubbed and the character name being changed to Delacourt from a more Anglo-Saxon name, I wonder if Foster was original performing the character as a Midwestern hausfrau-turned-politician and Blomkamp thought it was either too close to home or most of the world wouldn't get it, so he changed her to a Francophone to play on the stereotypical Eurotrash villain trope.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I doubt her name was changed, they did the redub because test audiences didn't like her French accent.

No, it was changed. Her name was originally Rhodes, but was changed at some point in production. Some of the concept art even associates her and the character with the name Rhodes. Even some of the embossed dossier props that were put up for auction had the name Rhodes, so it makes me wonder if the briefing with Patel (where those dossiers were used) was a reshoot.

There's an interview with her at the 2012 SDCC where the interviewer uses that name and is corrected by Foster...

quote:

The fact that Secretary Rhodes is a woman –
Her name is Delacourt now! They changed it. Minister Delacourt. The press kit must be wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I find the idea that Delacourt, like Carlyle, has spent so much time interacting with robots that she's not very good at interacting with people any more fairly convincing. Her delivery is kinda mechanical, like she has decided on the response and is performing the response, and is consequently much more talking at Patel than talking to him.

Part of me wishes they had gone with those Google Glass Emoji masks that showed up in the concept art, just because I'm envisioning something like the T-800's decision list in The Terminator through her HUD.

quote:

• YES/NO, MISTER/MADAME PRESIDENT
  • I WILL MAKE AN ACTION PLAN AND PURSUE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
  • gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat
  • DO YOU HAVE CHILDREN?
  • I POLITELY DISAGREE

• Locked thread