Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
The movie was entertaining, however some of the issues I had were:

Jodie Foster played the same character as she did in The Inside Man, but with a lovely French accent.

The idea that one could hack into the system, and change poo poo like "I'll just cut/paste the current president's name with my own name, and that makes me president! Right? Brilliant!" Same thing with making everyone a citizen. I will allow that the automated hospital ships attempt to go down to earth to cure everyone, because maybe it's how they are programmed, but by the time they got halfway down to Earth, someone could recall them. The Surgeon General of Elysium would just put a loving stop to it. "I did not authorize this." For all those ships to take off is not routine traffic. It would not go unnoticed.

Turning Matt Damon into Space Jesus. Why? They could have left out the "whoever downloads this program dies" aspect, but this was probably the one factor that the entire film was built around since day one.

Foster's death and refusal of help at the end needed some explanation, as well. What was the motivation? Tired of living forever? Did she atone for her sins at the point of dying? Afraid she would have to go to trial/jail for her actions? Would the government of Elysium strip her of her citizenship and exile her to earth with the rest of the lowlifes, and she just wouldn't be able to cope "If I cant live in paradise, I refuse to live at all" kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Snak posted:

The fact that the system can be hacked is totally believable though.

Any system can be hacked, funds transferred, data stolen etc., but if I hack into the White House and replace "Barak Obama" with my own name, NerdfestX is NOT going to be president, no matter what Our Computer Overlords say.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Snak posted:

Considering the pretty heavy crucifiction imagery with the exoskeleton being installed,

Interesting aspect, I didn't make this connection the 1st time. I saw it more as a "in order to defeat my enemy, I must become my enemy" motif.

Further established when the bad guy gets his own suit of armor. Also: the bad guy gets resurrected.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Another minor point I feel I need to address:

After Jodie Foster blows up the ships in the beginning, and then the president brings her before the committee to account for her actions, she makes this statement/inquiry - "Do you have children? No answer? Then I will assume you do not" She doesn't know? How could she not know?

While this establishes that Foster is willing to do whatever it takes to protect the haves from the have-nots, she asks in a manner that genuinely suggests that she does not know whether or not the president does or does not have children.

How could she not know? Everyone in the entire universe could recognize this person from miles away because he is the leader of EVERYTHING, the most powerful person on earth and Elysium. Everything there is to know is known about this guy is known. We knew Ronald Reagan liked Jelly Bellys. We know Barack Obama used to smoke. We know what all the presidential pets names are. To suggest that anyone anywhere over the age of 12 doesn't know the family status of the King poo poo of Paradise is dumb.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

SALT CURES HAM posted:

She doesn't know because she doesn't care, basically.

No, she doesn't care, and I get that the president is a figurehead, and if he actually had the power, he would either 1) fire Delacourt on the spot, or better still 2) have someone in that cabinet position he could control. Yes, she belittles him, suggests he is weak, and is just a puppet ("don't you have a fundraiser to attend?"). Asking the question to mock him in order to be cute/get her point across/put him in his place I could see, it's just the way the line was written/delivered made it seem like she truly didn't know.

• Locked thread