Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nerdfest X posted:

The movie was entertaining, however some of the issues I had were:

Jodie Foster played the same character as she did in The Inside Man, but with a lovely French accent.
Her character's lack of depth was the most disappointing aspect of this movie for me.

quote:

The idea that one could hack into the system, and change poo poo like "I'll just cut/paste the current president's name with my own name, and that makes me president! Right? Brilliant!" Same thing with making everyone a citizen. I will allow that the automated hospital ships attempt to go down to earth to cure everyone, because maybe it's how they are programmed, but by the time they got halfway down to Earth, someone could recall them. The Surgeon General of Elysium would just put a loving stop to it. "I did not authorize this." For all those ships to take off is not routine traffic. It would not go unnoticed.
Well, for better or worse, the system portrayed in the film is that almost everything is completely automated and the computer controlling it is imbued with legal status. In order to really pick this apart, we would need to have more information about the actual establishment and legal system of Elysium.

The fact that the system can be hacked is totally believable though.

quote:

Turning Matt Damon into Space Jesus. Why? They could have left out the "whoever downloads this program dies" aspect, but this was probably the one factor that the entire film was built around since day one.
Considering the pretty heavy crucifiction imagery with the exoskeleton being installed, and the fact that he's raised by nuns in the flashbacks, I think it's pretty safe to say that Space Jesus was a central concept in this film. The roles of Jesus and Mary Magdalene are flipped though.

quote:

Foster's death and refusal of help at the end needed some explanation, as well. What was the motivation? Tired of living forever? Did she atone for her sins at the point of dying? Afraid she would have to go to trial/jail for her actions? Would the government of Elysium strip her of her citizenship and exile her to earth with the rest of the lowlifes, and she just wouldn't be able to cope "If I cant live in paradise, I refuse to live at all" kind of thing?

The first time I saw the film, I read the scene wrong, and didn't like the way it actually was when I saw it the second time. Originally I thought that Foster was refusing help because she literally didn't believe this dirty immigrent could help her, and didn't want to be touched until a robot doctor showed up. Like she had literally forgotten that humans could actually get help directly from each other, rather than help being something that is purchased. I thought it was really thematically appropriate and fit with a lot of the other things going on. When I rewatched it, it turns out it really wasn't like that at all, and it is kind of strange. I can make two guess as to her motive for dying: the first is as you said, that she is tired of living this hosed up immortality. The second is that she doesn't want to live now that her dream has crumbled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Black Bones posted:

As for the system hacking, obviously the download is permanent. The robot guards prevent the human soldiers from threatening to arrest Che, because they are all equal now, immediately and forever. I imagine that the system would reject any attempt to tamper with who is or is not a citizen. Like even if the new president is also an engineer with executive passwords and poo poo and is like "no, medical robots, stop helping others that's an order" they would just gently push him out of the way and ignore him, since medical aid is the right of all citizens.

It's also kind of implied that William Fitchner's character was basically the only one in a unique position to be able to hack the system, because he had both the security clearance to access it and he was one of the people that designed it (I think). So with him dead, anyone who wanted to change it would have to pull a super-wizard class hacker out of their rear end AND be able to get them into the place guarded by robot soldiers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nerdfest X posted:

Any system can be hacked, funds transferred, data stolen etc., but if I hack into the White House and replace "Barak Obama" with my own name, NerdfestX is NOT going to be president, no matter what Our Computer Overlords say.

But you could do that with voting machines.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nerdfest X posted:

Interesting aspect, I didn't make this connection the 1st time. I saw it more as a "in order to defeat my enemy, I must become my enemy" motif.

Further established when the bad guy gets his own suit of armor. Also: the bad guy gets resurrected.

Yeah, there's not much a crucifixion metaphor, but the imagery is definitely there. Note that the exoskeleton is literally bolted into his body.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's a rhetorical question. Honestly, when she said that, I could easily seeing Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin saying that to Obama or some other opponent during a political debate, even though they would know full well he does have children.

I still have this feeling that with the fact of Foster being redubbed and the character name being changed to Delacourt from a more Anglo-Saxon name, I wonder if Foster was original performing the character as a Midwestern hausfrau-turned-politician and Blomkamp thought it was either too close to home or most of the world wouldn't get it, so he changed her to a Francophone to play on the stereotypical Eurotrash villain trope.

I doubt her name was changed, they did the redub because test audiences didn't like her French accent.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

No, it was changed. Her name was originally Rhodes, but was changed at some point in production. Some of the concept art even associates her and the character with the name Rhodes. Even some of the embossed dossier props that were put up for auction had the name Rhodes, so it makes me wonder if the briefing with Patel (where those dossiers were used) was a reshoot.

There's an interview with her at the 2012 SDCC where the interviewer uses that name and is corrected by Foster...

I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

Why does anyone even want a Halo movie? The games already happened, they were fun as poo poo.

... what do movies have to do with it?

Dude there are Halo books...

• Locked thread