Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Goldbergs
Season 1, Episode 20

What I know: jack poo poo. The poster presents an utterly obnoxious sweater-clad family of...five? And, as they are the Goldbergs, I can only assume that they are Jewish.

What I saw: Is this...am I watching the right show?

The film is grainy and clearly shot in the 80's. Daniel Stern some guy is doing a saccharine voiceover about birthday party options.

...creepy.

As you can see, we are clearly watching The Wonder Years, starring Fred Savage.

Or not. Check out that rad VCR! My family's was front-loading, but I always had a strange affection for the kind on display here.

So, the show stars a prepubescent boy. I guess he's supposed to be Adam. I don't know if the episode ever tells us for sure. Anyway, today is his birthday, and everybody is very excited! In lieu of the horrible options pictured above, he is very excited to be getting a laser tag party. As he and his mother discuss the finer details of his birthday in the kitchen, his dad (isn't that that guy from Curb Your Enthusiasm? Neat!) walks in. At this point, his mother presents his dad with A-shaped pancakes to celebrate the special man of the day.

Al Capone!

This series dates itself with current events, it seems, so today is the day that Al Capone's vault is to be opened, and Curb is very excited. He is so excited that Mom plays charades behind Adam's displeased back to con Curb into saying the word 'birthday' out loud.

It takes a while.

Afterwards, Adam's mother hands him a gift, from both of his parents! Adam naturally grills Curb on the gift's contents, as he does not like surprises. Curb embarrasses himself yet again. Don't you worry; the humiliation is not over. Not even when we cut to...

:woop: BOB MOTHERFUCKING ROSS PAINTING A HAPPY LITTLE TREE :woop:

I almost like this show, for that alone. Adam is on the couch with a very pretty girl who is totally out of his league. She likes the happy little trees; Adam suggests that she should see what Bob can do with cottages. As they part ways, she expresses excitement over his laser tag party.

At this point, Fred Savage corners Adam and convinces him that he doesn't want a stupid lame laser tag party. No, what Adam really wants is a make-out party, which is not at all creepy coming from his older brother. No, sir.

Meanwhile, we have our first Jewish stereotype of the evening.

This is Grandpa! He humiliates his son by giving Adam a birthday gift: a watch on which you can play Pac-Man, which Pops pronounces as "Puck-Man." After Adam leaves the scene, Curb suggests that they say that the watch is from them both. This absolutely does not stop Grandpa from berating his adult son.

The plot thickens as Adam attempts to "neutralize" his mother into letting him cancel laser tag and instead have his party in the basement.

Without a cake.

Or singing Happy Birthday.

Or...even her presence.

Mama Bear: not pleased.

With yet another Jewish stereotype, she mourns the $100 deposit she would have had to pay had she not talked the laser tag guy out of it. Those penny pinchers!

However, Mom relents, and Adam gets his make-out party. There's mood lighting, lava lamps, oysters, soft cheese, Fred Savage playing DJ (not creepy), and...

There is no hiding what's going on at this party!

Except it's not going on, at all, as the kids look at each other uncomfortably and Fred Savage unsuccessfully offers up a game of Twister (not creepy).

The only suggestion that lands is Spin the Bottle. Adam is very excited about this. Unfortunately, the only bottle he can find is quite large and full of milk. Fred Savage gleefully undertakes the milk challenge to get some kissing action going on.

Upstairs, Adam's mom has prepared bagel bites to take downstairs to the kids. Adam's sister lays into her, as Mom has promised not to go to the party. As Sister goes downstairs to deliver the bagel bites, she sees Scott Baio and immediately puts two and two together. She lays into Adam, informing him that she will have to tell Mom what's going on. Adam shows remorse, and decides to go upstairs with her to tell Mom himself.

As Adam begins a sorrowful speech to his mother in the kitchen, he turns the tables on Sister by suddenly requesting a Bert and Ernie cake! Mother is very pleased to run out the door and buy cake supplies, but Sister's not happy. Adam threatens significant blackmail, and in one fell swoop, both Mom and Sister are, once again, neutralized.

Next, it appears that Curb has finally remembered Adam's birthday, days after the fact. He comes downstairs, bearing not only the gift of laser tag...

...but also his man legs and tightie whities.

Adam is not impressed, and Curb sadly goes back upstairs.

Upstairs is where Mom is making Adam's fabulous horrifying cake!

Much to sister's chagrin, Mom pitches the cake and starts in on a brand new one, even though she could have just scraped off the icing to try again.

Upstairs is also where Al Capone's vault is being revealed! Live! On television!

GERALDO! :allears:

Curb, Grandpa, and Sister are watching and mulling over Adam's party. Sister is accused of being her mother. The men kind of have a point, because even though Sister is gleeful to create scandalous secrets that she tells Adam about, she is Not Happy to let him embark on similar adventures.

Mom is growing wary and sneaks into the basement through an outside window. She is very dextrous and stealthy, which is surprising to me because I expected this show to hit us with some slapstick right about now.

Jewish stereotype #3: Mom is very, very nosy.

Adam has somehow broken the Spin the Bottle bottle for which Fred Savage drank a gallon of milk and puked his guts out, that ungrateful little brat. As girls threaten to leave, Adam suggests Seven Minutes in Heaven. As the birthday boy, he must go first. He invites Bob Ross girl, and she nervously accepts.

They go into a closet. Adam fumbles with his watch ("The instructions are all in Japanese! It's very complicated.") and sets a timer for 7 minutes. With 6:38 remaining, it looks like he may be getting somewhere when our lovebirds hear a strange noise. They immediately blame each other, but neither of them was responsible. Adam immediately pulls apart a rack of clothing, and...

...it's Mom. She was...just...making sure that the ski boots were all where they should be. And they are!

BR Girl bolts upstairs, about to leave. She asks Adam why they couldn't just go to laser tag. It would have been fun! Adam ponders, and finally agrees with her. Luckily, Curb bought a whole bunch of laser tag gear, so the dream can come alive with zero effort.

And...it does! The party kids gleefully play laser tag outside as an uncharacteristically happy song from The Cure indicates that the crisis has been resolved. Sister, Curb, and Grandpa look on from the porch, all of them very happy. Sister doesn't have to worry about Adam getting any. Grandpa is happy to see kids enjoying themselves. Curb is happy that his belated gift is fully appreciated, and we have a nearly heartwarming moment between him and Adam. As Grandpa goes inside to see what was inside Al Capone's vault, Curb...stays outside!

He's grown as a person :allears:

Mom has completed something less of a cake wreck.

Al Capone's vault reminds us of the end of season 2 of Game of Thrones (Grandpa is not pleased about this).

And Adam and BR girl have some touching, heartfelt moments as they play laser tag.

He takes a bullet for her!

They finally kiss!

It goes on for...a disturbingly long time!

Oh, gross.

They weren't interested because you were letting your parents film the drat thing, you moron.

As the credits roll, Fred Savage is having a school meeting in the basement, for some reason. As there are no chairs, Fred Savage says they'll have to sit on the floor. Apparently, he has also consumed another gallon of milk.

Not creepy.

Analysis: it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible, either. There were some genuinely funny moments, and some genuinely sweet moments as well. But, Lena Dunham-style, I get the distinct impression that this is a gigantic ego trip for one, Adam Goldberg.

"I know!", he pitched, "I'll make a tv show, about myself!"

"And why the hell would we give you the cash to do that?", asked the penny-pinching studio executive.

"Well, my nosy parents filmed my entire childhood, so we can save money on about two minutes' worth of footage every week."

"Sold."

Grade: C-

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good review, but yeah, I would take the images out until you're able to fix them. They make it pretty unbearable to read.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Argh. Will do. I'm not looking forward to resizing 26 images, but anything for you :-*

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Propaganda Machine posted:

Argh. Will do. I'm not looking forward to resizing 26 images, but anything for you :-*

For the time being, you should throw them in timg tags.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King of Solomon posted:

For the time being, you should throw them in timg tags.

Too late. Sorry. I don't usually post image-y stuff, so I came into this woefully unprepared.

edit: There we go!

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 11, 2014

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
Acapulco H.E.A.T.

Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZZwG0Shck
Season 1, Episode 4 – “Strange Bedfellow”

Oh my god, they had laptops back then? Acapulco Hemisphere Emergency Action Team is the most early 90s thing I’ve ever seen, and I’m not out of theme song yet: Ultra-high cut bikinis, chest hair, martial arts on a platform, explosions, and gun fights atop RVs.

Also, Fabio.

Into the actual episode, after two men berate a blonde for reading a book, it cuts to pair of arguing guests, Mike and Ashley, who head down to some kind of secret headquarters.

Their base (I guess?) is half-Mayan ruin and half-weirdly beeping wall of TVs. An important-looking man, tells them (from the TVs) that a radioactive fish is poisoning people in Europe. The source? Obviously a Costa Rican resort island, and obviously they’ll need to infiltrate as newlyweds.

On a side note, Mike first assumed they would infiltrate with a fashion show. What happened in the last 3 episodes to make this his first thought?
Regardless, it’s up to them to save Europe from the radioactive Costa Rican fish (which they do, with plenty of explosions and gunfire).

Amazing technology (maybe?)

Some kind of suitcase phone.

Overall, it wasn’t bad. I’d watch another episode of this over a laugh-track sitcom, but at 40 minutes, it’s a little too long. The back-and-forth between the main characters is boring (especially without background of the earlier episodes), and the pool-side fantasy sequence (completely with insert song) didn’t add much.
I feel like I spent more time watching people walk around in bathing suits than anything else. Plus, the fights would be half-suspensful music and half-theme song. It's kind of a jarring transition.

If you really need to watch a swimsuit action drama from the 90s, I'd stick with Baywatch (which really should be someone's assigned show).

I give it a C, as there was no Fabio at all outside the intro.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A TVIV Random Review
Brought To You By Deadpool Productions
Starring Rarity in...

A PERSON OF DISINTEREST

Featuring

Flashbacks
Booze
That Girl Who's In Everything
A Shitload of CCTV Footage
And One Cute Doggy

It all began three years ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday. The TVIV Couch Chat thread. A hotbed of scum breeding in their own filth and that was on its good days. I was just minding my own business, trying to make it through the day and make it out the thread alive without pissing anyone off. And that's when I ran into him.

"Hey Rarity, how's it going?" he said. "You still a butt?"

"Occupation." I returned his greeting with a grimace. Occ was an ornery kind of guy, the type that lit up faster than Capitol Hill on 4th of July with one hell of a hair trigger. I knew that all it was going to take was one misplaced word to ruin my day.

"I been watching this new show," he continued, shrugging all casual like. "You should give it a try, it's pretty cool."

"Oh yeah?" I said. "What's it called?" I cursed the question as soon as it left my lips. I shoulda known better.

"Person of Interest. It's-"

"Oh I've heard of that." I cut him off as fast as I could. "The premise doesn't really interest me at all."

"BUT IT'S THE BEST TELEVISION SHOW OF ALL TIME, RARITY! AND IT'S TOTALLY NOT ANOTHER CBS PROCEDURAL AND MICHAEL EMERSON IS THE BEST AND YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW CAUSE EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH THIS SHOW IT'S THE BEST SHOW YOU'RE SUCH A BUTT RARITY AND..."

It was safe to say I'd misplaced a word. Hell, I'd misplaced dozens of them. But that wasn't the end of it. Other names started coming up to me talking about this show. Names I respected. Even some names I liked. DivisionPost. Zaggitz. IRQ. It was like a cult, and I was one of the last survivors who hadn't been brainwashed. But time passed and I stopped caring. As long as they stayed in their own space and didn't bother me, I was fine with them doing their own thing. Just same as I treat the Amish.

Last night, that all changed. I was sitting at my desk, working out damage control on another turf war between the Arrowheads and the Shield Agents when Deadpool called me into his office. "What's up, chief?" I asked with a smile. "How's the wife?" My warm disposition did nothing to break his gruff demeanour. Nothing ever did. Deadpool was that kind of chief. Grumpy and sour as a lemon. It wasn't ideal but hey, you shoulda seen the last guy.

"I've got an assignment for you, Rarity," he said, tossing the briefing across the desk. "But I gotta warn you, you're not gonna like it." I flipped it open and took one brief glance before tossing it away.

"Chief, no," I replied, shaking my head. "I can't do this. I can't go there."

"I need you. You're one of our best."

"But chief-"

"No buts, goon. Either you do your job or you turn in your badge and walk out of this precinct right this second."

And that's how I ended up watching Person of Interest. I cursed the chief's name as I hit play, swilling three shots of whiskey with my spare hand. The show opened with a voiceover monologue. A cliché and I was only five seconds in. But my rising anger was quelled by the sight of Lester Framon. Perhaps this wouldn't all be bad. My pleasure is momentary. Benry Gale is talking to Jesus, 38 cops are about to be committing violent crime. I realise that this is literally Minority Report and contemplate a violent crime of my own.

The bad guys are called HR. It's like I always suspected, those scumbags over in Human Resources were always out for themselves. Oh, and Freamon is evil. All the pieces matter. Some black cop lady is investigating them, I take a guess that she is important. This is confirmed when she receives a visit from Jesus. The only man visiting me is good old Jack D, and he's not a fan of company.

The dialogue continues to drive its way into my brain, a neverending barrage of bland noir trivialities that I fear will never leave me. People glare at each other while issuing barely hidden threats. More people glare at each other while issuing barely hidden threats. It's every scene, glaring and threats. Or people talking about glaring and threatening somebody else. I go to my mirror, give myself the sideeye and tell myself to watch out for where I step. It feels like the thing to do.

Halfway through the episode I figure out that Jesus and black cop lady are in love, united by their common interest in glaring and threats. This will clearly not end well. Those are hardly bounds for a healthy relationship. Black cop lady tries to take out Freamon but she's a terrible shot. It wasn't even that far and she had a sniper scope. My shame for her inspires me to pour another whiskey. The head of the Russians has no accent. I'm not sure if this is progressive inclusion of integrated cultures or just bad casting.

Thirty minutes into the episode I remember that this is the start of a culmination to a three-year story arc. As there only seems to be a half-season's worth of backstory this makes me feel particularly underwhelmed. Black cop lady gives a goodbye speech to some fat shlub who I neglected to mention despite appearing throughout the episode. I make it a rule to ignore shlubs whenever possible. The FBI bust up an execution of Russians, a moment which I give fair credit as being an interesting resolution to the proposed problem. Taking count, I realise that's the first such moment and the episode's almost over.

As the final flashback ends, I realise that they had literally nothing to do with the actual story of the episode. I fear a redux of Lost and anticipate great upheaval when the show finishes its run. Perhaps black cop lady's son and baby daddy were characters in earlier episodes? Can't be sure, three fingers of whiskey too deep to find out. And so we reach the supposedly thrilling climax of the episode. The whole episode has been building up to black cop lady being killed. I try to work out whether the show will follow through, back-off or throw a curveball. Then I try to work out which of those answers would impress me. The answer remains unknown.

Black cop lady is tricked into being taken captive by Freamon. In fairness, Freamon is good at being evil. That makes two. Black cop lady is saved by deus ex machina futuristic bugging technology and Jesus. I suppose if anyone can make a miracle happen it would be him. The show draws to a close, black cop lady is alive, forty-three minutes and thirty seconds of my life have blinked out of existence, never to return. I consider all those people who have told me how great this show is. Suspect the answer is crack.

The report hits Deadpool's desk with a crash yet he remains still, eyes slowly raising to judge me as they always do. He idly picks up the report and thumbs through the pages, looking them over thoughtfully before putting it away. "Top work, Rarity," he says. The tension releases from the room like the snapping of an elastic band. "I've got something else for you if you want it."

"Chief, I've had enough Jack Daniels to knock out a rhino, I'm ready for anything."

As I saunter out the door Deadpool almost gives out a chuckle. Almost. "I should warn you, this one's a doozy."

"They always are, chief," I reply with a grin. "They always are."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ahahahaha what the gently caress

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can accept everything in that review except the dismissal of dear, sweet Fusco as some "fat schlub". Now we're enemies.

CuwiKhons posted:

Overall Opinion: Not too bad. I'll probably end up watching the rest of the season and hopefully everything will make much more sense if I do. The episode wasn't phenomenal but it also wasn't comically bad, which is kind of a shame because it would have made this recap less generic.

I suspect you'll enjoy this episode much more the second time around. At the very least, watching it from the beginning will definitely satisfy your curiosity as to where the Horseman picked up his modern weaponry.

Also it amuses me that you chose to call him Zombie Cho throughout, which is exactly what the Sleepy Hollow thread habitually called him for the whole season.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 11, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsuki posted:

Acapulco H.E.A.T.

Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZZwG0Shck
Season 1, Episode 4 – “Strange Bedfellow”

Oh my god, they had laptops back then? Acapulco Hemisphere Emergency Action Team is the most early 90s thing I’ve ever seen, and I’m not out of theme song yet: Ultra-high cut bikinis, chest hair, martial arts on a platform, explosions, and gun fights atop RVs.

Also, Fabio.

Thunder in Paradise is even better. It's basically the same show, but Night Rider, except Nightboat, and it has Hulk Hogan.

And yes, like the Simpsons gag, there's always in inlet, or a fjord...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regy Rusty posted:

Also it amuses me that you chose to call him Zombie Cho throughout, which is exactly what the Sleepy Hollow thread habitually called him for the whole season.

I'm still sad the Chombie never took off

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This sounds fun. I can do anything on Netflix, Amazon, or whatever is freely available.

Current watch list: Just about any Fox or Adult Swim cartoon, Fargo, New Girl, Brooklyn 99, Breaking Bad, Justified, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Silicon Valley.

I tend to enjoy subversive comedies and high quality dramas. I pretty much never watch CBS, CW, kids channels, or any reality tv that does not feature Gordon Ramsay.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

Assignments:

DivisionPost: Quantum Leap Season 2 Episode 17 link
CaptainHollywood: Teen Wolf Season 3 Episode 9
Mr. Aristocrates: Primeval Season 3 Episode 4 link
Josh Lyman: Smallville Season 4 Episode 8 link
PootieTang: The Middle Season 5 Episode 19
Maxwell Lord: Robin Hood (2006) Season 4 Episode 13
Rarity: Person of Interest Season 3 Episode 8 link
xeria: Warehouse 13 Season 4 Episode 13 link
Solid Poopsnake: Sex and the City Season 4 Episode 10 link
hcreight: She-Ra Princess of Power Season 1 Episode 10 link
Bown: House of Lies Season 2 Episode 8 link
MrFlibble: Reign Season 1 Episode 15 link
IRQ: The Following Season 2 Episode 9 link
Max22: Saved By The Bell Season 1 Episode 5 link
User-Friendly: Saved By The Bell The College Years Season 1 Episode 6 link
Annakie: Saved By The Bell The New Class Season 1 Episode 7 link
precision: NCIS LA Season 4 Episode 14 link
Ror: Dads Season 1 Episode 7 link
IRQ: The Killing Season 3 Episode 3 link
Aye Doc: Last Man Standing Season 2 Episode 3 link
Zaggitz: Ghostbusters The Animated Series Season 1 Episode 8 link
Senerio: CSI Season 14 Episode 21 link
Regy Rusty: Scrubs Season 3 Episode 14 link
tsuki: Acapulco H.E.A.T. Season 1 Episode 4 link
DivisionPost: Vikings Season 1 Episode 5
13Pandora13: Flight of the Conchords Season 2 Episode 4 link
Josh Lyman: Primeval Season 5 Episode 6 link
Aye Doc: Metal Hurlant Chronicles Season 1 Episode 7 link
FreezingInferno: Grimm Season 3 Episode 17
SHUPS 4 DETH: Beauty and the Beast Season 2 Episode 15
Ironic Twist: The Carrie Diaries Season 2 Episode 10
Senerio: Falling Skies Season 3 Episode 6 link
CuwiKhons: Sleepy Hollow Season 1 Episode 7 link
Geeves: Camelot Season 1 Episode 5
Propaganda Machine: The Goldbergs Season 1 Episode 20 link
JohnSherman: TekWar Season 2 Episode 6
Zaggitz: Homicide Life on the Street Season 1 Episode 5 link
Josh Lyman: Metal Hurlant Chronicles Season 1 Episode 5 link

Here you go dead

Also, two things:

1) This thread could use a snappier title, I suggest "TVIV Russian Roulette"
2) Everyone should rate this thread 5, it's one of the few absolutely excellent threads in TVIV

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Alright Rarity; if I had my druthers, I'd have thrown you into #2.7, "Critical" -- a standalone that plays within the established formula and unspools like a 42 minute long panic attack. HOWEVER, I can't say that you wouldn't have had the same problems that you did with "Endgame." Caviezel's acting is something you either get used to or don't, and a lot of the over-explanation is just what happens when your show is on the network that made its bones on the NCIS franchise.

I DO want to point out how interesting it is that you think Reese (Jesus) and Carter (the cop) are in love, since a lot of fans see their relationship as something more complex and akin to siblinghood then, say, Castle and Beckett. However, they DO kiss in the next episode, which set off a relatively large uproar within the fan community. Anyway, I'm being annoying, I'm gonna smoke some more crack before I derail this thing entirely.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well, we trade off between that and John Cho, Demonic Intern.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

sbaldrick posted:

Can I get in on this. I demand the worst bit of TV you can think no of.

Give this guy a random episode of LEXX.

I want to participate :toxx:

I watch way too much TV, so it's impossible to list all the shows I've seen.
edit: I fired up Wikipedia and a page called "List of TV shows" and I got very depressed by the time I had 300 shows on my list.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 11, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who here hasn't seen Breaking Bad? because if you haven't, if Deadpool signs off on it I would really like to see someone review Ozymandias, 514, with no prior reference to the show

Warning: This episode will spoil most-to-all of Breaking Bad but it's also imo one of the best hours of television ever made

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Occupation posted:

Who here hasn't seen Breaking Bad? because if you haven't, if Deadpool signs off on it I would really like to see someone review Ozymandias, 514, with no prior reference to the show

Warning: This episode will spoil most-to-all of Breaking Bad but it's also imo one of the best hours of television ever made

I'd also like to see someone review Game of Thrones who's never seen it before.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'd love to see someone do Doctor Who 5x12 - The Pandorica Opens because it was my first exposure to Doctor Who and I still maintain it was the absolute worst episode of Doctor Who to introduce someone to the show with.

Also, I'm ready for a new assignment. :)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Annakie posted:

I still maintain it was the absolute worst episode of Doctor Who to introduce someone to the show with.

No, that will always be The End of Time part 2.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Annakie posted:

I'd love to see someone do Doctor Who 5x12 - The Pandorica Opens because it was my first exposure to Doctor Who and I still maintain it was the absolute worst episode of Doctor Who to introduce someone to the show with.

Also, I'm ready for a new assignment. :)

I'll do it. Ive never really seen Dr. Who.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not to run with this and completely screw up Deadpool's running of the thread, but I'd quite like Irish Joe to recommend me a 2 Broke Girls episode for my second review.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If we're doing that I need Rarity to give me an episode of Glee.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'd also be down for giving out assignments, but first I have to watch and review Vikings because God help me if I'm the first person to punk out on this thread.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Occupation posted:

I've never seen Breaking Bad and would not mind doing this, but I do have a basic reference as to what the show is about so maybe you can find someone better.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrFlibble posted:

I've never seen Breaking Bad and would not mind doing this, but I do have a basic reference as to what the show is about so maybe you can find someone better.

Nope that works perfectly, if by "basic reference" we're talking about something like "a cancer-ridden chemistry teacher makes meth with a former student" and not a bunch of minute plot twists

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Not to run with this and completely screw up Deadpool's running of the thread, but I'd quite like Irish Joe to recommend me a 2 Broke Girls episode for my second review.

S3E14 And the Dumpster Sex

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Occupation posted:

This but also with Lost : S4Ep5 The Constant

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Wow, this sounds awesome and I'd love to get into it. But drat, you blew your Three Men and Adena wad pretty quickly.

Shows I've watched and possibly enjoyed:

-Most '80s and '90s sitcoms. I still get a tiny chill when I hear that Cheers music.
-A ton of '80s and '90s Sci Fi. I was a huge Who fan growing up, but not so much these days.
-A shitton of syndicated '60s and '70s stuff, think Hogan's Heroes, MASH, MeTv stuff.
-Twin loving Peaks.
-A bunch of British Comedies/Dramas.
-I'm gonna get tarred and feathered for this one, but feel that I have sunk cost into NCIS, and still catch the occasional episode.
-HBO/Showtime/Starz stuff. Sopranos, Spartacus (Still the only time I've leapt to my feet and cheered at a television show. By myself. At two in the morning.) True Detective, Six Feet Under.
-AMC/FX stuff. Mad Men, Justified, Breaking Bad, etc.
-Oh yeah, loving Hannibal.

Shows I wanted to get into but either couldn't or didn't like how they were released:

-House of Cards
-Orange is the new Black
-Orphan Black
-Game of Thrones (Got behind early, and haven't caught up.)
-Battlestar Galactica
-Luther

Stuff I have either missed or am totally uninterested in:

-Anything involving Joss Whedon.
-Glee.
-Lost.
-Girls.
-Anything horror based.
-True Blood.

Jesus, this got long quickly. Thanks, DP.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CaptainHollywood posted:

This but also with Lost : S4Ep5 The Constant

I have a very basic frame of reference for Lost, so I'd be willing to do this after my Vikings review.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How much do you know about :bsg: or GoT, recursive

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Someone who has never seen it needs to get assigned one of the "weird" episodes of Northern Exposure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MrAristocrates posted:

If we're doing that I need Rarity to give me an episode of Glee.

Season 4 Episode 18 "Shooting Star"

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Mean.

(Should have given him "Rocky Horror Glee Show".)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xeria posted:

Mean.

(Should have given him "Rocky Horror Glee Show".)

You have no idea how hard it was to choose.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Hello fellow Glee captive! Watching the whole season is definitely worth it and will answer all of your questions. It's a seriously great show that has an actual plan for the entire series and will end once the story is told, and it needs as many eyes on it as possible to make sure that happens. Your review was in no way generic and really entertaining to me as a fully-informed fan.

Regy Rusty posted:

I suspect you'll enjoy this episode much more the second time around. At the very least, watching it from the beginning will definitely satisfy your curiosity as to where the Horseman picked up his modern weaponry.

I will definitely catch up on the rest of the season. Now could either of you tell me what Orlando's characters name is because I swear they never said it the entire loving episode.

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo, Rarity. I was going to suggest "Throwdown" or "Vitamin D". What did Mr. Aristocrates ever do to you?

VVVV - Go with "Throwdown" man. It's one of the Front 13 which means it's the best of the entire series.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 11, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rarity posted:

poo poo! I heard about this episode while it was happening and turned on the TV out of morbid curiosity. I caught the last ten minutes, at least. Might have to pick another one.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

MrAristocrates posted:

poo poo! I heard about this episode while it was happening and turned on the TV out of morbid curiosity. I caught the last ten minutes, at least. Might have to pick another one.

Rarity let me pick it let me picckkkk ittttt.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrAristocrates posted:

S2E3 "Grilled Cheesus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I got this.

MrAristocrates posted:

Season 4 Episode 7 Dynamic Duets

• Locked thread