Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: :siren: LET'S BITCH ABOUT OUR TERRIBLE DECISIONS LIVE! #fantasyfootball on irc.synirc.net :siren: :siren:

Welcome back Fantasy Sports Fans, it's 2014. It's officially time to be wrong 40% of the time at best get ready for some fake football!

In addition to the links below you can also check out this list from Dynasty League Football. This Reddit post also has a ton of useful information.

Free League Hosting Services
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
  • CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year.
Useful Free Resources
  • NBC Rotoworld: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregrator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.
  • Bleacher Report Fantasy Football Newsletter: Varg recommends this newsletter as a useful source of NFL information and sit/start advice.
  • Pro Football Reference: More statistics than is probably healthy for any particular person. If you're at the point in your fantasy football progression where you're consulting sites like this for information then congratulations, you're one of us.
Useful Premium Resources
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • DraftCalc: Known for bold projections. Also a fair number of fantasy articles and projections.
Useful League Resources
  • LeagueSafe: Online fantasy league escrow service. It has some limitations (no in-season transactions), but the fees are low and I had a great experience with it.
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. I used this last year in my family league to put the board on our flat screen.
  • Draft Night: Online draft web board with multiple apps. I haven't used it yet.
ADP, Rankings and Projections

Special Thanks
Finally since you've already read to this point I would like to extend my thanks to DraftCalc, 4For4, Rotoworld, PFF Fantasy, and FantasyPros for all generously donating subscriptions for my charity league last year. Many of them have already pledged to donate again this year, as did Rotoviz. All of them are quality sites that deserve a close look. I would also like to thank Febreeze of The Draw Play and Toaster Beef of Too Much Mustard (if he ever comes back :() for donating some of their time for art work. Thanks to their help we were able to raise over $1000 that was split between two children's hospitals.

Twitter
Want to know when a previously unheard of player is starting, or that your stud is out for the game because of a DUI? Twitter is your friend! These recommendations come from Dirt Worshipper and Azhais.

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

Misc. Writers
@4for4_Paul - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@ChrisWesseling Former writer for NBC rotoworld, works for Falcons media now I think. Not sure if he's still gonna do fantasy when 2013 rolls around. If he does, he's one of the best, and well worth the follow.
@dpbrugler Dane Brugler, former NFL scout and writer for CBS, good follow.
@SC_DougFarrar Doug Farrar of shutdown corner
@LanceZierlein Runs thesidelineview.com, great follow
@Dumonjic_Alen Bleacher report/sidelineview contributor, player evals. Smart kid.

Pro Football Focus
@MikeClayNFL Accurate, prolific, one of the better writers
@JeffRatcliffe Great for IDP
@PFF_RossMiles Also great for IDP, does a weekly IDP show with Ratcliffe
@dynastytim used to write for Dynasty League Football, just joined PFF. Great dynasty follow.

NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Podcasts
Just listen to Azhais:

Azhais posted:

:words:

I listen/have listened to approximately all the podcasts. A common theme in the ones I don't like: acting like they are funnier than they are/trying to make it like some sort of morning talk show. I like my (fantasy) football news to be as dry and informative as possible. Ordering here is pretty much straight off the podcast app on my phone so don't read into the ordering.

The Most Accurate Podcast (4for4.com): So far it is pretty content lite (it only started up in March and is focused on redraft leagues, so not real surprising) and is mostly an advertisement for itself (:iiam: if I'm listening to the podcast I probably already know about it). 4 for 4 has been one of the most accurate sites for a few years now, so I'll give this one a go til the start of the season anyway.

Shutdown corner (Yahoo): Football news, not fantasy, but Greg Cossell knows his stuff. If you're just interested in general football chat/draft talk, this one is pretty good.

Under the Helmet (DLF): Done by Chad Parsons of dynastyleaguefootball.com (and formerly of PFF I believe). This is about as dry and informative as it gets, even for me. Chad talks like someone on classical NPR, almost whispering into the mic. But he's very informative and very stats/numbers heavy. Primarily focused on dynasty and keeper leagues and he's big on discussing measurables and doing player comparisons.

Fantasytaz: Fantasy Football Power Hour: Not a fan and I don't listen to it anymore. He's got some good information for redraft leagues, but I can't deal with his personality. Lots of people like him, and I follow him on twitter because he actually has some good observations, but he's a little more boisterous than I like out of my radio shows. Shallow complaint to be sure.

Draft Countdown (draftcountdown.com): NFL draft and prospect talk. I like to keep up on the up and comers for dynasty purposes and Scott Wright puts on a good show. Minimal fantasy value outside of dynasty, but if you want to know all about the trials and tribulations of your favourite team's newly drafted backup right guard, this is the place to be.

DLF podcast (dynastyleaguefootball.com): One of my favorites for the offseason anyway. Lots of discussion of the teams and depth charts and waiver advice and sleepers for your dynasty league. Of marginal value for redrafts I expect, but if I can only listen to one or two podcasts some week, this is one of them.

NFL draft tracker (NFL.com): More prospect talk. I rarely end up listening to this one because it ends up being mostly sportscaster style interviews with the recent draftees (aka every running back Who do you feel you pattern your game after? Adrian Peterson), but leading up to the draft they had some pretty decent views on the prospects. Again, very low fantasy value.

Pro Football Focus Fantasy: They have 4 shows.
Quick Snap- Redraft focused. Like all of PFF's podcasts they are heavily numbers based, and being the offseason they are fairly content light at the moment, mostly discussing mock drafts and early projections. I quite like both of the hosts and this is on my short list to listen to each week, tho they need to drop their fake sponsors because the bits aren't that funny (This week's show brought to you by S-Mart!).
The Dynasty Slant- Their dynasty show. Like all dynasty shows the present discussions are on new startups, a lot of trade analysis in the offseason, breakout candidates, waiver stashes, etc. Also on my short list each week.
The Nickel- Their IDP show. Redraft and Dynasty discussions about all things IDP and who is gaining/losing value based on position and scheme changes, who is likely to acquire more or less work, how new rookies are going to displace veterans. Ross Miles breaks it all down with a sexy British accent (if you're in to that sort of thing). An absolute must listen if you do IDP leagues, and Ross has been one of the most accurate IDP analysts for a while now.
The Mike and Taz show- Redraft oriented. Another Fantasy Taz show, which means I don't listen to it because I don't like loud.

Fantasy Football Weekly (KFAN): One of the grand daddy fantasy football radio shows from KFAN in Minnesota. Entirely redraft oriented and offline during the offseason. This airs for two hours every Saturday morning during the regular season which means they aren't at all helpful for Thursday games, but I quite enjoy them overall. They might fall off my list somewhat depending on how I end up liking 4for4's regular season content as one can only listen to so many Sit/Start radio shows, which is the primary focus of this one.

Fantasy Focus Football (ESPN): Matthew Berry's daily fantasy show. Rapidly falling off my list just due to how much random crap they do that isn't all that focused on fantasy football (this goes back to my morning radio complaint up top), but I do make a point to listen to the Thursday (or Friday? its been a while since the regular season) show when they do the injury updates/training camp reports. Other than that they have a lot of gimmick shows, and a lot of sit/start type advice. As entertaining as listening to some pro wrestler grade trades is I spend my time elsewhere most of the time.

The Audible (footballguys.com): Pretty much everything FBG does is decent, and the Audible is no different. Others have already discussed this one, so I'll leave it there. I could do without the rap intros however. FBG also does "On the Couch" which is their live show with various guests, and that one is pretty hit or miss depending on the guests/topics.

FFToolbox: Fantasy Football Toolbox, in contrast to their name, is a pretty general fantasy sports site. I've found its real hit or miss if the show is going to be about football, or baseball, or hockey (or all three). Perhaps during the regular season it is more focused, but I've taken it off my subscription list just because I don't like the Fantasy Sports Roulette that the podcast seems to be. I might give it a shot again once the season starts up, but I've got enough to listen to :effort:

Tuesdays with Aaron: Aaron Rodgers' weekly show :allears:

There are a variety of others that I've taken off my subscription lists just due to volume of things I listen to, low content, or just being too gameshow-y (or just not liking the hosts for one reason or another.) CBS's podcast, NFL fantasy live, dynasty football warehouse, the fantasy football guys (not to be confused with the football guys), probably others.

tl;dr- Send Help

Also Dren:

Dren posted:

You should add Christopher Harris's Fantasy Underground (available on iTunes) podcast to the podcast list.

Introduction
Fantasy Football is the ancient art of nerds pouring over statistics in the hopes of predicting how infinitely more athletic and successful men will perform over the course of a professional football game. In recent history it has become a billion dollar industry while infusing itself into the collective psyche of the NFL. Countless podcasts, articles, websites, and every other source under the sun have sprung up in support of what is essentially glorified socialized gambling. There's even a television show about a league. Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

The leagues themselves vary from friendly to insane, including at least one where the loser gets a tattoo chosen by the winner. Other leagues have pots worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or byzantine rules about relegation, delegation, salary caps, and every other statistic under the sun. We are collectively insane, and we can't get enough. Fantasy Football itself is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What's the general philosophy on sitting studs? Play the matchups, right?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You should add Christopher Harris's Fantasy Underground (available on iTunes) podcast to the podcast list.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

What's the general philosophy on sitting studs? Play the matchups, right?

Precisely. I mean the most consistent stud in 2013 was Jamaal Charles, and he only put up starter worthy points 87% of the time. Total scrub.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ground floor.

Rip in peace Josh Gordon :(

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Over/under on the number of fantasy "experts" who will swear up and down that anyone on the Giants will be worth anything: 2.

Also, how did the 4for4 podcast turn out last year?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thwomp posted:

Over/under on the number of fantasy "experts" who will swear up and down that anyone on the Giants will be worth anything: 2.

Also, how did the 4for4 podcast turn out last year?

If this rookie C they just drafted is as good as advertised, i can see the Giants O become a serviceable fantasy option. I'd still stay the gently caress away from Randle/Jernigan though.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Thwomp posted:

Victor Cruz might have a good year again.. maybe?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

LmaoTheKid posted:

If this rookie C they just drafted is as good as advertised, i can see the Giants O become a serviceable fantasy option. I'd still stay the gently caress away from Randle/Jernigan though.

I'm not sure about that, since Eli is now in the "should only be owned in 2 quarterback leagues" tier.

I waited on QBs in one league and took him as my starter, and it ended up ruining an otherwise great team.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Way too early thoughts on rookies in the first 3 rounds:

QBs
Late round flier
Johnny Manziel, Browns

Watch but don't draft:
Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings

Stay the gently caress away:
Blake Bortles, Jaguars
Derek Carr, Raiders

WRs
Late round flier
Odell Beckham, Giants
Marqise Lee, Jaguars
Jordan Matthews, Eagles
Davante Adams, Packers
Cody Latimer, Broncos
Donte Moncrief, Colts

Watch but don't draft:
Sammy Watkins, Bills
Mike Evans, Bucs
Brandin Cooks, Saints
Kelvin Benjamin, Panthers
Allen Robinson, Jaguars

Paul Richardson, Seahawks
Jarvis Landry, Dolphins
Josh Huff, Eagles
John Brown, Cardinals

TEs
Must draft
Jace Amaro, Jets

Watch but don't draft:
Eric Ebron, Lions - Really don't like Ebron, want to say stay the gently caress away, but the Lions are just too drat pass happy to ignore
Troy Niklas, Cardinals
Richard Rogers, Packers

ASJ, Bucs
Crockett Gillmore, Ravens
C.J. Fiedorowicz, Texans

I'm an RB hoarder by nature, so these below are all inflated by that.

RBs
Must draft
Bishop Sankey, Titans

Late round flier
Jeremy Hill, Bengals
Carlos Hyde, 49ers
Charles Sims, Bucs
Tre Mason, Rams

Watch but don't draft:
Terrance West, Browns
Jerick McKinnon, Vikings
Dri Archer, Steelers

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Manziel could be interesting. His situation is similar to RG3, with nobody to really throw to (except for Cameron) and Kyle Shanahan at the OC position.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

coronaball posted:

I'm not sure about that, since Eli is now in the "should only be owned in 2 quarterback leagues" tier.

I waited on QBs in one league and took him as my starter, and it ended up ruining an otherwise great team.

Eli seems to be an "every other year" kind of guy. He might not be worth rostering or just a late round flyer but I still think his WRs might benefit. If OBJ is hanging around after the 9th, I'll pick him up. Why not.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Manziel could be interesting. His situation is similar to RG3, with nobody to really throw to (except for Cameron) and Kyle Shanahan at the OC position.

Don't forget the Browns added Andrew Hawkins and Nate Burleson. Plus Cameron and Greg Little, I think Manziel (if he doesn't massively flop) will still have targets.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Burleson re fractured his arm in OTAs. No bueno.

Still love baby Hawk tho.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
:psyduck: Poor Burleson/Browns.

Still, he'll be back for the preseason. He should still be able to contribute during the season.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zypher posted:

:psyduck: Poor Burleson/Browns.

Still, he'll be back for the preseason. He should still be able to contribute during the season.

Yep. I still worry about a guy who re fractures his arm. Apparently in the same spot.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Thwomp posted:

I like Rashad Jennings - NFCE defense is always terrible and Jennings scored lots of points behind oakland's UDFA O-line.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel bad that I don't have a trade proposal for the new thread

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Admittedly I'm not as familiar with all the drafted players as most of you guys, but what makes Amaro and Sankey 'Must Drafts' as rookies? Are you talking more for a dynasty league, or are they going to be viable in re-draft leagues as well?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kloaked00 posted:

Admittedly I'm not as familiar with all the drafted players as most of you guys, but what makes Amaro and Sankey 'Must Drafts' as rookies? Are you talking more for a dynasty league, or are they going to be viable in re-draft leagues as well?

In Amaro's case he basically has no competition for targets and will be a good safety valve for whoever is the QB in the Jets shitshow.

Sank ey because lol Shonn Greene.

Both are later round picks in redraft leagues.

Edit: maybe even waiver pickups for free.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I've had Ben Tate stashed on my bench for three years and it's finally about to pay off :dance:

At least until Week 4 or 5, where he goes down due a combination of having to do 60 rush plays a game, and every linebacker trying to put their shoulder through his ribcage.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Professor Moriarty posted:

I've had Ben Tate stashed on my bench for three years and it's finally about to pay off :dance:

At least until Week 4 or 5, where he goes down due a combination of having to do 60 rush plays a game, and every linebacker trying to put their shoulder through his ribcage.

Terrance West is one of my late round targets this year for this exact reason.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I picked up Toby Gerhart off the waiver wire for this very reason. I started off with a very solid team when I joined my dynasty league last year, and I'm pretty proud of the changes I've made:

Original Team (Pre 2013 Draft, 16 Kept):
QB: Jake Locker, Tony Romo
RB: Jamaal Charles, DeMarco Murray, Rashard Mendenhall, LaMichael James
WR: Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Jeremy Maclin, Danny Amendola, Kendall Wright, Reuben Randle, Dexter McCluster, Nick Toon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Fred Davis

Current Team (Pre 2014 Draft, Before Keeper Selection):
QB: Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler
RB: Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin, DeMarco Murray, Christine Michael, Toby Gerhart, Roy Helu, Jordan Todman
WR: Calvin Johsnon, Demaryius Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Rueben Randle, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Danny Amendola, Doug Baldwin, Marlon Brown
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jordan Cameron, Jordan Reed

This year I don't have any first rounders, but I have three picks in the second to make up for it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LmaoTheKid posted:

In Amaro's case he basically has no competition for targets and will be a good safety valve for whoever is the QB in the Jets shitshow.

Decker

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm still skeptical about how they plan on using him. Possibly as a "deep threat".

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Sank ey because lol Shonn Greene.

Both are later round picks in redraft leagues.

Edit: maybe even waiver pickups for free.

Shonn Greene sucks and had knee surgery this week, I'd bump Sankey up higher than a late round pick.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

coronaball posted:

Shonn Greene sucks and had knee surgery this week, I'd bump Sankey up higher than a late round pick.

Thats all dependent on how he looks in the preseason IMO. Though that TEN line is much improved.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Zypher posted:

WRs
Late round flier
Odell Beckham, Giants
Marqise Lee, Jaguars
Jordan Matthews, Eagles
Davante Adams, Packers
Cody Latimer, Broncos
Donte Moncrief, Colts

Watch but don't draft:
Sammy Watkins, Bills
Mike Evans, Bucs
Brandin Cooks, Saints
Kelvin Benjamin, Panthers
Allen Robinson, Jaguars
Honestly, I think I'd basically flip these two categories. ODB and Matthews are probably solid bets to make an impact in year one, but Adams/Latimer/Moncrief all seem like Dynasty targets for the 2015 season. I'd take a flier on Lee but he's way lower on my list.

Your second list though? Most of those guys are guaranteed work this year. Watkins and Benjamin are the clear #1s on their teams now. Mike Evans is inheriting the Mike Williams role opposite V-Jax; ton of value there if the Bucs get more consistent QB play this year. And apparently the Saints envision Cooks taking over a lot of Darren Sproles' role. It's early but I can easily see all of them being worth rostering.

quote:

TEs
Must draft
Jace Amaro, Jets
No rookie TE is a must draft. This article is from last year but it does a decent job of summarizing rookie TE production. Gronk did amazing cause he's a beast in the red zone but after that, no one else made a top ten. TEs need time to adjust to the league. None of them are probably worth thinking about until midseason roster moves.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
TE Zach Ertz gonna own this year, y'all.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

89 posted:

TE Zach Ertz gonna own this year, y'all.

iawtp

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Tiptoes posted:

Honestly, I think I'd basically flip these two categories. ODB and Matthews are probably solid bets to make an impact in year one, but Adams/Latimer/Moncrief all seem like Dynasty targets for the 2015 season. I'd take a flier on Lee but he's way lower on my list.

Your second list though? Most of those guys are guaranteed work this year. Watkins and Benjamin are the clear #1s on their teams now. Mike Evans is inheriting the Mike Williams role opposite V-Jax; ton of value there if the Bucs get more consistent QB play this year. And apparently the Saints envision Cooks taking over a lot of Darren Sproles' role. It's early but I can easily see all of them being worth rostering.

No rookie TE is a must draft. This article is from last year but it does a decent job of summarizing rookie TE production. Gronk did amazing cause he's a beast in the red zone but after that, no one else made a top ten. TEs need time to adjust to the league. None of them are probably worth thinking about until midseason roster moves.
Eh, overall rookie WRs are such a crapshoot. I stand by my initial thoughts other than maybe downgrading some of the late round fliers to watches.

Watkins is a clear #1 in an offense that barely had any wideouts worth rostering last year. It was a wasted season for Stevie Johnson owners, and Woods was more bust than boom. I'm not trusting any Buffalo skill position players this year until proven otherwise.

I don't have any faith in Kelvin. I feel that he's going to be overdrafted simply because of "who else is Cam going to through to?" He may get a lot of red zone looks out of necessity, but I can't imagine him playing at a high level lined up across from every team's #1 CB.

I probably like Mike Evans the most in that group (I didn't put them in any order besides draft order), but there's so much uncertainty with McCown/Glennon.

Cooks is great dynasty prospect, but there's a couple guys ahead of him. Not sure if he's gonna be taking over Sproles' role, but even so he had a pretty disappointing year last year. I'm not gonna get too excited about him until I hear more from training camp.

Normally I agree about rookie TEs (and why I didn't recommend any others) but like we were just talking about, who the hell else is Geno going to throw to?

Matthews/Adams/Latimer/Moncrief are more about the QB throwing to them. Worth taking a gamble because of how prolific the offenses are. I suppose Cooks falls in that category, too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zypher posted:

Normally I agree about rookie TEs (and why I didn't recommend any others) but like we were just talking about, who the hell else is Geno going to throw to?

The other team?

And no rookie WR is really worth rostering in redraft, they rarely do anything year one unless they're a superstud, which Watkins is not.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Other than being a total homer, I like to believe Jordan Matthews is gonna see some of the most production out of the rookie WR's. BUT, I also see the scenario where basically the Eagles offense is just about as it was last year, fantasy wise. Except, Maclin takes over Jackson's role (PS. everybody draft Maclin as your WR2, expect WR1 numbers). Cooper is Cooper. Jordan Matthews fills the Jason Avant role (he's supposed to start in the slot....at least early in the season anyways), and then Ertz sees the majority of the red zone looks.

Sproles is a bit of a wildcard to me, really. He's older, yes. But, he's not your typical running back by any means. He has a significantly less damage done to him than a typical RB at his age.

I'm just gonna have to learn how to constrain this massive boner I'm gonna have seeing "MCCOY" and "SPROLES" in the backfield next to each other. That's my main worry, really.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Azhais posted:

The other team?

And no rookie WR is really worth rostering in redraft, they rarely do anything year one unless they're a superstud, which Watkins is not.

All fair points.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Borrowing from rookie chat, thanks to a miserable year last year I have a top pick in my dynasty league rookie draft. I don't know much about college football, but general consensus has led me to think my top three targets should be Sankey, Evans and Watkins in that order. I get them for 3 years starting at 15 out of 250 budget in a 2 RB, 3 WR .75ppr league. Based on their college careers is that the right order?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hixalot posted:

Borrowing from rookie chat, thanks to a miserable year last year I have a top pick in my dynasty league rookie draft. I don't know much about college football, but general consensus has led me to think my top three targets should be Sankey, Evans and Watkins in that order. I get them for 3 years starting at 15 out of 250 budget in a 2 RB, 3 WR .75ppr league. Based on their college careers is that the right order?

I'd still go Watkins #1. Sankey isn't some great talent, he's just in a decent situation.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So....slow draft anyone?

EDIT: I think we should name teams after slow jams for the slow draft.

EDIT2: got mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRQIdpBAdTw

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
OH poo poo HERE WE GO!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633817&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post429568664

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Zypher posted:

Eh, overall rookie WRs are such a crapshoot. I stand by my initial thoughts other than maybe downgrading some of the late round fliers to watches.

Watkins is a clear #1 in an offense that barely had any wideouts worth rostering last year. It was a wasted season for Stevie Johnson owners, and Woods was more bust than boom. I'm not trusting any Buffalo skill position players this year until proven otherwise.

I don't have any faith in Kelvin. I feel that he's going to be overdrafted simply because of "who else is Cam going to through to?" He may get a lot of red zone looks out of necessity, but I can't imagine him playing at a high level lined up across from every team's #1 CB.

I probably like Mike Evans the most in that group (I didn't put them in any order besides draft order), but there's so much uncertainty with McCown/Glennon.
I don't have the expertise to properly dissect the play styles for all these rookie WRs. Basically none of the draftniks I follow even liked Benjamin. I just think we shouldn't get into the problem of overthinking rookies right now. What matters the most at this point is the projected volume of work they'll get and all three of these guys are walking into established roles in their offenses from day one. I've been burned before by undervaluing guys entering the league in situations that I thought were less than ideal. Missed out on AJ Green his debut year since I didn't have faith in that stupid ginger-haired rookie they had at QB. Now I'm willing to take chances. If Watkins/Benjamin lead their teams in targets and Evan is #2 on his, they'll be fantasy relevant as rookies. So I'm going to keep close tabs on them throughout OTAs and training camp.

Azhais posted:

Tell that to Keenan Allen owners last year. Or Cordarrelle Patterson owners during the stretch run. Rookie WRs do produce in year 1 if they've got the talent and changes to their teams' WR depth work in their favor. It's some "stars need to align" poo poo but this isn't a fantasy blackhole like rookie TEs are. Talent plays and it can play in year one even if they don't truly break out until second or third year. Watkins has talent, and none of the other Buffalo WRs really have seniority over him. He'll be on my mind when I'm drafting guys for my bench to start the year.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
For any of you with an vested interest in the Rams' backfield: Daryl Richardson got waived

• Locked thread