Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You'd need to make the guns kill things as easily as they would IRL if you want to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

I wonder if clots will still be able to grab you at an inappropriate distance that you have to teach yourself to avoid.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Posted this over in the other Killing Floor thread, but Tripwire just announced a Summer Event for KF (which could probably be the last ever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AnA5R6mOZw

DLC skins are Neon Mr. Foster and Neon DJ Scully. And the new character is none other than the Patriarch's own daughter. DLC weapon packs are Neon re-skins of the weapons.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Why is she American? The killingflooriest thing they could have done was giver her a "'ello guvna" over the top accent.

edit:vvvvvv really? I just thought he was growly.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 2, 2014

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

TaurusTorus posted:

Why is she American? The killingflooriest thing they could have done was giver her a "'ello guvna" over the top accent.

The Patriarch's a Yank too.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

EDIT:
Wrong KF thread.

But I might as not totally waste this post. When the KF2 early access kicks off I expect to have a private server + mumble server running.
@turnways. Will KF2 have a dedicated server that can be run on a non-steam machine?

Slybo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 3, 2014

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Slybo posted:

@turnways. Will KF2 have a dedicated server that can be run on a non-steam machine?

Unfortunately I can't talk about anything that hasn't been explicitly revealed, even if it seems like simple no-brainer stuff like home-based dedicated servers or dosh-tossing. I wouldn't take that to mean any features are or are not present (or are even going to be radically different), I'm just sticking within the boundaries I was given.

That said, I will mention I am designing the UI, both the overall flow and the final look of the thing. I wish I could show screens because it's looking really awesome, definitely a step up from the original, so hopefully at some point before EA I can post examples. I'm streamlining a lot of KF1's UI without gutting any of the functionality, with a focus on speed and ease of use; I want people jumping into the game as fast and easy as possible, with a HUD that keeps you informed without getting in your way. While I can't talk about any specific features we may have planned (and can't confirm if anything's already been considered/implemented), I'm definitely open to feedback and suggestions, so if you folks have any comments on the original's UI or anything you'd like to see in the sequel, please let me know because I'm all ears.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I really think that KF's UI is perfect for me. Everything is displayed logically and it's easy to use.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The storefront UI never seemed too great to me, even with all of the weird 'Favorites' menu and the separation of class weapons. Just give me a big old list with a bright star next to the weapons that benefit from my perk. :armchairdesign:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
For the server browser, don't put a silly yellow biohazard symbol in the background that washes out your white text in certain places, thanks.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I played an okay amount of KF1 and haven't really read much about it since, is KF2 going to have new monster men and alternate last round bosses?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I do kind of wish that they would take out the leveling up system, or make it faster this time. I'm all for having gun unlocks tied to levels, but having straight-up stat boosts that are necessary to play on higher difficulties is kinda bad.

It makes for a good carrot, yeah, but I'd rather have my chances of winning tied to just personal activities and not helped/hindered by upgrades.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

UI Talk: Please improve the server browser interface. It was probably the one thing that frustrated me to no end in my 200-300 hour run with the original. The best things would be a difficulty filter and an option to search by both IP and Name, and not just limit IP info to favorites. It would also make for a better experience with pubbies not joining Sui/HoE servers with no experience.

Fix that and I will love you forever.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I do kind of wish that they would take out the leveling up system, or make it faster this time. I'm all for having gun unlocks tied to levels, but having straight-up stat boosts that are necessary to play on higher difficulties is kinda bad.

It makes for a good carrot, yeah, but I'd rather have my chances of winning tied to just personal activities and not helped/hindered by upgrades.

I found them interest ways to play with the diffculty levels without turning the whole thing into a joke. How would you implement an Hell on earth dificulty level without the levels?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Scyantific posted:

UI Talk: Please improve the server browser interface. It was probably the one thing that frustrated me to no end in my 200-300 hour run with the original. The best things would be a difficulty filter and an option to search by both IP and Name, and not just limit IP info to favorites. It would also make for a better experience with pubbies not joining Sui/HoE servers with no experience.

Fix that and I will love you forever.
There's always been a difficulty filter, though I can't remember if it was always right there or if you had to go into some filter menu first. One of the real problems though was the difficulty display for the servers. I bet most people don't even know that the server browser displays the difficulty for the servers? Where is it you ask? Here's a hint:

A bunch of coloured lines next to some other coloured lines in a place on the server browser that most people ignore is probably not the best place to put something as important as difficulty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Fixing the whole problem of clicking on a server, but then new servers show up and shove it out of your selection and/or off the screen or whatever...that would be spectacular.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

John Murdoch posted:

Fixing the whole problem of clicking on a server, but then new servers show up and shove it out of your selection and/or off the screen or whatever...that would be spectacular.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

John Murdoch posted:

Also it'd be nice if I didn't have to pull up the console to IP connect bc the server menu is so annoying. And a more detailed server search function like the source games have.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 6, 2014

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cacodad posted:

I really think that KF's UI is perfect for me. Everything is displayed logically and it's easy to use.
I found myself turning off the red boxes in the HUD though. They're kind-of intrusive during a game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'd like to be able to see what round a match is on in the server browser before I join.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

I'd like to be able to see what round a match is on in the server browser before I join.

Yeah, KF1 already has this, so yes, it would be nice to keep it in KF2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I only have one tiny request for KF2, please don't change the patriarch's theme or try to remix it, the current iteration is fine as is. :)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even more ridiculous Metal would be welcome though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

kode54 posted:

Yeah, KF1 already has this, so yes, it would be nice to keep it in KF2.

It does!? Wow, shows how long it's been since I last played, as it never did when I was regularly playing. You could see how much dosh people had, but it was rarely a good indicator.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the server browser, last time I used it, listed which wave the server was on, usually listing just 1 for empty servers.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome, this is some great feedback; I'm taking notes and passing all this along.

Going into the server browser a bit, and again I want to emphasize I am NOT confirming or denying any KF2 features nor am I speaking for Tripwire and what we have planned, just thinking aloud from my own designer sense, but how would you guys feel about a hybrid between the KF1 server browser and something like the CS:GO matchmaking systems? Maybe something leaning more towards KF1 than CS:GO, but definitely a system designed to be easier to use for people who aren't picky enough to scroll through a long list of servers. To me, the advantages of a classic server browser are to cover a wide range of game types and to quickly find a known dedicated server (say, Bill's 24/7 Biotics Lab Extravaganza Insta-Respawn Fleshpounds Only), but its main disadvantage is overwhelming the player with choice when they don't have a server in mind and just want to pick a near-full no-mutators server running Biotics Lab on Medium difficulty.

The system I have in mind would look something like this:

1. You would still have access to a full server list, and can see in each listing the name (with an option to search by name), game type, difficulty (clearly displayed with a unique icon AND TEXT), map, wave (displayed: Current / Total), player count, ping, locked servers, and whether a match was in the lobby or in progress

2. Separate tabs for All, Favorite, Friends, History, etc. to quickly get to the main lists of servers you want

However...

3. You would only see 8-10 servers at a time inside the browser window (and can scroll down to see more), with larger, more readable type

4. The browser window would be prefaced with a number of large-type easy-to-use filters that serve to quickly whittle down the number of servers you have to scroll through, emphasized to the point where you would want to use them to find the exact match you want

5. These would include filtering for a specific map, game type, difficulty, required password, ping ranges, even down to specific mutators (under an Advanced Filters tab)

6. A toggleable option (via the Options menu, default to On) to highlight servers with a HoE-esque difficulty level in red if the player's currently selected perk is under a certain level, or some other kind of warning to shy new players away from harder matches without locking them out

7. All text properly sized to be readable even on TVs from 10ft. away without looking too much like a console game (my PC is hooked up to my TV and it drives me nuts when games have a ton of dead space and small text, even accounting for localizations), with no distracting backgrounds

8. The server list doesn't scroll when you have something selected as it's refreshing

Not exactly the most revolutionary design, but one that lets you find what you're looking for fast and easy no matter what that may be. Would a system like this start to solve some of the problems of the older server browser? The final system we put in might look completely different to this, but I'd still be interested in getting a baseline.

turnways fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 8, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think if you want matchmaking in addition to server browser your best bet is the Left 4 Dead solution, which literally has two buttons on the main menu "Matchmaking" - getting you the simple "find me a game matching these handful of settings (difficulty, location/max ping, map, etc.) - and server browser - getting you to the server browser that can do everything a server browser is supposed to (varied filter options, good search functionality (including by IP), connect to IP (limiting this to console sucks because the console button for a lot of popular engines are lovely if non-accessible on non-US keyboards, plus it's unintuitive as hell). Don't try to somehow get both functions in one screen/button.

Pile on every upgrade for the server browser you can think of of course. I wouldn't reduce the amount of servers you can see at any one time though - the primary advantage of a server browser is the ability to quickly scan through a huge number of servers and compare them so you can figure out which to join. Decreasing that is counterproductive. If you want a giant font version, I'd try to tie that into Steam Big Picture mode, but not make it the default (and if it's default it needs to be optional).

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I'd really like to see something not unlike Valve's matchmaking for Mann vs Machine in TF2 added to Killing Floor 2 if possible. Just make it really easy for 6 people to get into a server together. If not, at least make the join game button on steam work.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Good comments. Though, I wouldn't be limiting the number of servers shown to simplify choice or put the UI into Playskool mode, it'd be out of necessity from all the filters and other things on the screen. I would shrink the font to fit in as many servers as I can without sacrificing readability; in this example it'd probably be around 12-14pt, so not Big Picture huge or anything but still big enough to easily read and parse at a glance from a good range of viewing distances.

Separate menus would definitely solve it, though I do love the hell out of simple design with easy access to all the tools and options you could want for just under the hood. That said, for me it all boils down to minimizing the number of clicks it takes a player, regardless of what they're looking for, to get into a drat game; the motto here is "less bullshit, more bloodshed."

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

turnways posted:

"less bullshit, more bloodshed."

I think I love you

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

MonkeyforaHead posted:

e: Forgot that I recorded it in action. It only got crazier on the next map.

I know that map and I know that server.

poo poo, I even recognize a lot of the players on there

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'd love it if you could filter out mods/mutators. It's kind of annoying when you find a map and difficulty you like and there are portal turrets and rocket machine guns everywhere but it'd also help people who want that find it easily.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the main problem about killing floor leveling is that it wasn't granular enough. A 100 level system with skills and weapon unlocks like Payday 2 would work way better here in my opinion.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

I only have one tiny request for KF2, please don't change the patriarch's theme or try to remix it, the current iteration is fine as is. :)

You're kidding. Not when you've heard it like literally hundreds of time.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Fat Care-Bear posted:

You're kidding. Not when you've heard it like literally hundreds of time.
I changed mine to the FF7 boss theme.

:goonsay:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

nerdz posted:

I feel like the main problem about killing floor leveling is that it wasn't granular enough. A 100 level system with skills and weapon unlocks like Payday 2 would work way better here in my opinion.

At the very least, watching effectively meaningless progress bars imperceptibly fill while text oh-so-helpfully informs you that you've dealt 3.7 million damage out of 5 million is just awful.

I'm really hoping that they don't go overboard on the grind nor overly focus on the hyper-sperg top tier difficulty level. And while I'm throwing out wishes, fully and properly implement gameplay mechanics (like stunning, burning, backstabbing...basically anything that isn't "headshots deal bonus damage") and actually communicate their existence instead of everything being obtuse yet critical to not die on anything above Normal.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

The unlock system in payday 2 is loving awful and one of the worst things about that game. Its ridiculously grindy and unlocking stuff is a chore with the card system.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While the extra grenades and damage and such were great, my favorite upgrade on the Support was Weight.

Once I was able to use the stock pump action shotgun, and carry the double barreled hunting shotgun at the same time I was in heaven :allears: Or considering they weighed the same, Stock shotgun and the AA-12 if I was doing okay.

The combat shotgun felt like such a letdown to me, especially considering it was the second most expensive shotgun. Oh boy I get version of the Shotgun that holds less shots and reloads slower for the exact same damage, just for semi-auto. Which in my hands meant "Oops I shot that guy two or three times more than needed."

Alteisen posted:

The unlock system in payday 2 is loving awful and one of the worst things about that game. Its ridiculously grindy and unlocking stuff is a chore with the card system.

Yeah, in KF1 it was only grinding stuff for your Class, it was all perks and bonuses and things that made you feel like you were improving. Having to unlock weapons on top is just a step backwards. Whoa there son! Settle down, we don't care if you've collected 10,000 this wave. You need to EARN the right to buy a lever action rifle!

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'd like to see weapon attachments or mods added to the game that you'd buy separately from the weapon. It could add a little extra money sink for those players who already have the weapon of their choice, or allow a weapon to fill different roles depending on how you want to play. For example you could buy a flashlight attachment, a different scope, or extended magazines. Perhaps attachments/mods could be tied to classes and cheaper to those of the correct class. So Sharpshooters would get discounts for long range scopes across a variety of weapons, close-range sights for support, maybe even medic dart attachments for medics, or bayonets for berserkers.

If done right it could make weapons pretty flexible and blur the line a bit on what class a weapon belongs to. Shotguns with underslung grenade launchers! Magnums with bayonets! LAR with incendiary ammo! The choices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

nerdz posted:

No, god no. Payday's grind + random items is the loving worst.

• Locked thread