Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Sirotan posted:

It's Michigan. That would potentially exclude 10 months of the year to ship hazardous materials. Yes we've had documented snowstorms as early as September and as late as June.

lake effect is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ever wonder what dangerous material the truck in front of you is carrying?
There are dozens of apps for that.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

It's Michigan.

It's Michigan.

So on the interstate the semis are restricted to 55 mph while 4 wheelers are not.

So there's wolf-packs of 15 trucks full of hazmat and loose rolls of barbed wire trying to pass each other in extreme slow motion in white outs on flat land while ten-mile columns of itchy stupid drivers in under-powered cars try to individually run the gauntlet and pass said wolf packs.

"Go 4 wheeler brethren, GO!"

So that's the way it used to be anyway.

So I'm sure it's not a contributing factor in the current incident.

Maybe.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 10, 2015

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Also:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay. The sheave is the wheel that the wire rope ( the metal cable cranes use to lift things) runs in to keep it centered as it reels in and out. The jib is a foldout extension to the crane boom, that you can unfold when you need some extra length on the arm (the blue lattice in the picture). When you unfold the jib and lock it in place at the end of the boom, you need to take the wire rope out of its sheave on the end of the boom and toss it onto the top of the jib so it runs down the whole length, then put it in the sheave at the end of the jib. This is done just by pulling out two large pins (basically just metal rods about an inch thick and seven or eight inches long), putting the rope in the wheel, and putting the pins back in to hold it in place. When you want to fold the jib back up against the side of the boom, you pull the wire rope out of the sheave and let it flop onto the ground so you can swing the jib back around (the tag line is just a rope you tie to the load you're lifting or part of the crane you're moving to let you pull it around by hand as it swings).

Dunderhead who works with nothing smaller than a 60-ton crane and usually works 150+ feet up on wind turbines forgot to put the jib's sheave pins back on after we took the wire rope off and folded the jib back up. Nothing would fall off the crane and kill anyone if he did (though there's plenty of other stuff he touched that could have if he forgot about it), but he had just tossed them on the ground and left them. If he hadn't noticed them, since the crane is a rental, it would have gone back to its owners 45 minutes away and nobody would likely realize that the jib was unusable until someone rented the crane for another job and had to pull the jib out. Or worse, he could have tossed the pins onto the crane and they probably would have tumbled off onto the interstate where they could strike a car or something and nobody would ever recover them.

One old contractor who's no longer allowed to run practical exams was worse, though. All of the giant pins and rods and whatever that hold stuff together on cranes have little pins that keep them in place. He had a tendency to put them in his pockets for safekeeping and not realize it until he got home and tossed his pants in the laundry. Would be a fun time explaining exactly why a 3 pound rod fell off the end of the boom and struck someone on the head while he was standing by the barrel it was lifting, or why this was followed by the rope pulling out of its sheave and getting caught somewhere that it would snip in half and drop whatever it was holding.

Edit: To clarify exactly what we were doing, the as-of-now remaining unnamed place I work at provides training for crane, forklift, aerial lift, service/mechanic truck, etc. operators and inspectors to get their OSHA certification. Along with newbies, we also train people who are already working or have jobs lined up but need their certification or qualification first. Part of the reason is that OSHA redefined its training requirements, but delayed the deadline for certification until November 2017. So companies that aren't in compliance are trying to get their guys trained and certified. OSHA also doesn't cover self-employed or government-employed workers, but sometimes they want to get their training and proof of it to do better work or for future job opportunities. And of course, there's a disturbing number of companies that simply hire people without OSHA training and send them out after the fact before anyone catches on.

Working at this company means that I get to see a lot of very, very bad operators who already have jobs. Some of them seem to just panic when put in a testing environment, but others seriously lack skills when pressed. Our tests are relatively difficult compared to what many jobs require in their routine work, and a lot of crane operators basically can't do anything but routine. Some of them can't even read a load chart, because they've done everything by rules of thumb or instinct. There are guys who are naturally great operators, but can barely read and/or can't do math. Or they're undisciplined and show up drunk or tired and promptly make a mess of everything they touch. One guy I had was someone who bought a crane to start up his own business, but had only occasionally been behind controls a few times in his life and didn't actually have any formal training. He didn't do too well.

tldr

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

I think race bikes are supposed to have wrist band dead man's switches but I'm not 100% on that

Most bikes don't. But flat trackers and speedway bikes like that definitely do,because most riders run without a throttle return spring to make control easier. And the tiny track pretty much guarantees that a runaway will gently caress poo poo up like you see in that gif.

Speedway teams can be ejected from an entire event for a killswitch failure like that, but some riders still bypass it because occasionally the pin falls out or is accidentally pulled out.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30737064

I don't understand how you can not inform authorities of deaths... what did they do, get a work buddy to drive the corpse home to the widow?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

simplefish posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30737064

I don't understand how you can not inform authorities of deaths... what did they do, get a work buddy to drive the corpse home to the widow?

I believe it's deaths/injuries of people who were driving their cars, not working in their plants.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Well that wasn't made very clear in the article

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One of the related videos was also literally about workplace safety: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30703082

quote:

A farmer in Devon has been forced to slaughter half his herd of Heck cows after they repeatedly tried to attack his farm workers.
Farmer Derek Gow said that the Heck cow descended from cattle specifically bred by Nazi scientists between the world wars. The Heck cow was renowned for its fearsome horns and extremely aggressive nature.
Fearing for his life, Mr Gow said that he had no choice but to destroy 20 of his most aggressive cattle

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

nazi cows

didn't see that one coming

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VectorSigma posted:

nazi cows

didn't see that one coming

They started out as an experiment in the 1920s by some German zoo directors to recreate Aurochs but one of them later got chummy with Goering and talked them up as a metaphor for the Aryan race (Strong! Proud! Aggressive!) and arranged to have them re-introduced to the wild as a sort of non-human lebensraum. Apparently they were used in some Nazi propaganda.

So yeah, Nazi cows.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
The Nazi ubermensch fantasies are kind of fascinating for how.... fantastical they are. Is like a bunch of LARPers deciding they want to genetically engineer a dragon just to be able to put on the map "HERE BE DRAGONS" and hunt it down and slay it. Except with cows.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

D1Sergo posted:

The Nazi ubermensch fantasies are kind of fascinating for how.... fantastical they are. Is like a bunch of LARPers deciding they want to genetically engineer a dragon just to be able to put on the map "HERE BE DRAGONS" and hunt it down and slay it. Except with cows.
"HERE BE COWS" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Just another day at the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Yawgmoth posted:

"HERE BE COWS" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

"HERE BE AUROCHS" on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1h4cbPEfWs

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They started out as an experiment in the 1920s by some German zoo directors to recreate Aurochs but one of them later got chummy with Goering and talked them up as a metaphor for the Aryan race (Strong! Proud! Aggressive!) and arranged to have them re-introduced to the wild as a sort of non-human lebensraum. Apparently they were used in some Nazi propaganda.

So yeah, Nazi cows.

Nazi cows are what supplies the milk for the Dairy of Anne Frank.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Powered Descent posted:

Oh goddamn.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Powered Descent posted:

:vince:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

:stonklol:

OSHA thread derail to the camps.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Powered Descent posted:

Combine a Nazi cryogenics lab and a forced labor carrot farm: Frozen Orange Jews

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

DiHK posted:

Combine a Nazi cryogenics lab and a forced labor carrot farm: Frozen Orange Jews

:golfclap:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGC8FuHMbBY

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I see nothing wrong here except that it's maybe too brilliant an idea. :colbert:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWN7PVXncQM

I can see the firefighters at around 1:25 saying "Nope. Screw this. Not our problem."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Star Wars hosed up not making that force lightening

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gun safety. Don't go off half-cocked.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

D1Sergo posted:

Do some research into the SS. They had all sorts of weird rituals and ceremonies that were intended to link them with their ubermensch Germanic forebears but were actually just made up poo poo.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Do some research into the SS. They had all sorts of weird rituals and ceremonies that were intended to link them with their ubermensch Germanic forebears but were actually just made up poo poo.

'Complete History Of World Traditions - The Abridged Version'

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CampingCarl posted:

Was it in this thread someone was describing how part of the outside of a rocket being on fire is a safety feature?
I've posted it a few places. Here's one for this thread

GWBBQ posted:

The Delta IV rocket is one of the two rockets that came from the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program (aka "If Boeing and Lockheed Martin won't stop suing each other, we'll make them work together!")

For those not familiar with rocket science, the simple way to increase payload mass is to use more rocket to lift it. The first stage of the Delta IV is called the Common Booster Core.

The Delta IV has variants that use anywhere from 1 to 5 strap-on solid rocket boosters to boost larger mass payloads to orbit. Here's one with two solid rockets

In its largest form, the Delta IV heavy leaves those boosters behind and simply uses 3 Common Booster Cores. The outside ones run at full throttle and the center one is throttled down to conserve fuel for when the weight of the extra two boosters has been thrown off.

In its Heavy configuration, the Delta IV prepares for launch by, at T-7, purging and cooling the engines with a burst of hydrogen fuel (going from cryogenic to gaseous takes a huge amount of energy and cools everything around it.)

This leaves the problem of a massive cloud of hydrogen gas around the rocket; the gas is ...

Promptly

Burned

Off

The orange paint on the fuel tanks is formulated to attract free hydrogen in the atmosphere and to hold it there burning in a controlled manner rather than risk forming bubbles or pockets of hydrogen in the atmosphere that could explode.

The rocket is supposed to be on fire. It's a safety feature.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

GWBBQ posted:

I've posted it a few places. Here's one for this thread

that is a cool fact, thanks! Was that the case for the space shuttle fuel tank too?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

OSHA - It is supposed to be on fire. It's a safety feature.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powered Descent posted:

DiHK posted:

I am proud of both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

gender illusionist posted:

that is a cool fact, thanks! Was that the case for the space shuttle fuel tank too?
For safety reasons the Space Shuttle didn't fart out so much Hydrogen gas prior to ignition, so that feature wasn't necessary. A Delta IV Heavy has something like twice the Hydrogen flow rate of the Space Shuttle (comparable to the upcoming SLS), and combined with the early flow start that is a TREMENDOUS amount of flammable gas to safely mitigate. The Space Shuttle also had a pad water sprayer system for sound and fire suppression* that was sized to withstand the huge Solid Rocket Boosters (each of which was more powerful than a Delta IV Heavy), so it wasn't a big deal.

*It's not like the water sprayers are literally putting out the hydrogen fire (or that that would even be desired), but the huge amounts of water spraying through the flame trench does form some suction that helps dissipate gasses and fires around the vehicle before engine ignition, which also does the same thing.

• Locked thread