Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Takoluka posted:

What exactly am I looking at here? That is a lot of 1 stars.

GTranslate says things like "and is no longer entertainment products."

A quick skim suggests the expected "this shouldn't be full price, release the complete game in one go", there are unhappy hammer users who are complaining about there being too many weapons which can stun now, and quite a bit of complaining about increased difficulty. Apparently the monsters "go extreme" and can kill certain classes in one hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

What exactly am I looking at here? That is a lot of 1 stars.

GTranslate says things like "and is no longer entertainment products."

I guess that's probably this one:

もう娯楽商品ではない。 2014/12/17
[snip]

Not even a game anymore.

This over-the-top Monster Hunter is just stressful! Swordsmen die in two hits and gunners get wasted in a single hit.

This is supposed to be a game -- a diversion you can use to relax -- but it's not even a game anymore. If you want to play games for fun, play something else. I've been playing since the first game, but this is it. I can't play these anymore.

For hardcore fans only. Everyone else should give this one a pass.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
That review is weird. He's been playing since the first MH? Did he not play 2nd G? Does he not realize how time consuming Frontier is? Doesn't he realize that they've actually made the games easier with things like group sorting and lock-on targeting?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Megalixir posted:

That review is weird. He's been playing since the first MH? Did he not play 2nd G? Does he not realize how time consuming Frontier is? Doesn't he realize that they've actually made the games easier with things like group sorting and lock-on targeting?

Hey man, don't shoot the messenger. I've never played any of them.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Megalixir posted:

You are way too invested in customer reviews.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-post from the PS store thread:

PS4 demo of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Eyes Of Heaven is now available, file size around 600 MB.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd like to know impressions, since things aren't looking great, apparently.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Butt Ghost posted:

I'd like to know impressions, since things aren't looking great, apparently.

I'm playing it right now on PS4 if you'd like to watch. It's... something, alright.

http://www.twitch.tv/sapolicenaut

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Policenaut posted:

I'm playing it right now on PS4 if you'd like to watch. It's... something, alright.

http://www.twitch.tv/sapolicenaut
So far my impression is lots of yelling. That is what JoJos are about, right?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yes, a lot of yelling. I still don't understand these systems though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, that's certainly a game alright. It's just a non-stop mass of shouting and anime and animations that I apparently can't break out of and I'm not 100% sure on what I'm actually doing but it looks flashy enough. No idea how to beat Diego when he's in Scary Monster mode but by god I came close. Thanks for watching.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just did Jotaro's stuff and Eyes of Heaven is like... spastic as poo poo and stupid and it's not fun. I will play the other three characters, but this is dumb.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I ran through it with all four characters. This game is like a lovely hybrid of JoJo All Star Battle and J-Stars Victory VS but, god help me, I think I would actually prefer to play ASB over this. They should have just made another ASB but fixed the dumb poo poo people hated about that game instead of making a shittier version of J-Stars.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm thinking I'll wait for this to get really cheap (because it looks way too hard to understand in Japanese compared to asb) or if they announce it for the West, wait for it to come out in English and cheap.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
COpy pasting my impressions from the JoJo thread.

quote:

Okay, so like, Eyes of Heaven is dumb and bad. The game lacks like any real focus, has a million mechanics, is hectic as hell despite having huge rear end areas to fight in and is all around very obviously a low-effort rush job done by CC2. I would not be surprised if this game is coming out in like 4 months because it's so loving dumb and low effort. Beyond the fact that like none of the characters are that fun or interesting to do anything with, the entire tag mechanic rewards just ganging up on an opponent. So one of the games many mechanics is a slow-down if both you and your teammate hit the same opponent at the same (Or least within a short frame of) time. This allows you to basically just gang-bang the opponent with no repercussions and it last a million years. There's another mechanic where you have to kind of finish off your opponent by doing a QTE move, but it's not very hard to do at all, you just press circle within a certain frame of time and if you hit it closer to ending than your opponent you win and kill the opponent or the opponent revives if the inverse happens. There is a timer for startup to this QTE where the opponent can punch you in the face and they can revive their partner as well. So basically, staying next to your partner forever is the way to go with this game because it punishes you more for splitting up than staying together.

Multiplayer seems like it'd be really weird, because with how dual supers work, the other character who isn't you has to trigger a dash where that activates the super, so unless the teammate has a button combination that opens up at that point, I don't see 4P happening. Speaking of dumb bullshit power ups, there's a fallen teammate power up that happens and gives you boosted damage and infinite super armor, so you can effectively just poo poo all over the other team, except they enter hitstun in team combo slowdown so I dunno. It seems like Jotaro's style move can also stun anyone with super armor too, so yeah. Diego is loving silly to fight and I don't understand why he can do so much bullshit except he is a boss character for the demo. The game moves like poo poo, I fought Diego with Joseph and locked on to him and we spent a solid 10 seconds dancing around each other doing our basic attack combos and neither of us hit the other for a good while. Also the hud is ugly and huge.

It's bad and dumb, but I'd rather play this than All-Star Battle because I have more tolerance for bad arena brawlers than fighting games that move like molasses.

Oh yeah and the Part 7 arena with the dinosaurs is bullshit.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Agreeing with that JoJo mess.

There was game manual talk on reddit, I mentioned how things are different in Japan and felt like showing them GameFan magazine quality paper and print:for emphasis:

But how are the big games from the big three publishers (including the ones that Square-Enix publish) over there? Do they get manuals?

I bet Japanese gamers are all "wouldn't it be weird if games no longer came with manuals?"

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The mystery "Z" game Square Enix was teasing in Japan was Spelunker Z, a free-to-play version of Spelunker for PS4.

Yeah.
F2P + Spelunker.

I'm sure a video will pop up within the next day.

More pictures here. The game will come out in Japan on March 19.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 31, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yechezkel posted:

The mystery "Z" game Square Enix was teasing in Japan was Spelunker Z, a free-to-play version of Spelunker for PS4.

Yeah.
F2P + Spelunker.

I'm sure a video will pop up within the next day.

More pictures here. The game will come out in Japan on March 19.
That sounds like fun. Going to assume something like the standard "blow through your lives in seconds, then wait hours or pay" though, which really just discourages me from playing a game at all.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Trademark for Eyes of Heaven registered by Bandai Namco in Europe. I hope it doesn't lose them money or set them off localizing something not a gigantic-rear end-title in the future.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-post from the PS Store thread:

PS4 and Vita demos for God Eater 2 Rage Burst are now up:
PS4 version 6.3 GB
Vita version 2 GB

Also, a ton of free PS3 avatars of characters from Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold aka Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Akiba's Trip 2 (PS4) is free on Japanese PS+ right now, since it's only two gigabytes I figured what the hell. It is100x more amusing and less creepy than I expected (my expectations were very bad in both respects though). I mean, I doubt I'll play it forever but it's the only game other than Saints Row 2 I have played where you can give your character new walking/running animations.

edit: also it tells me that I can not YET put on women's clothes.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 5, 2015

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Akiba's Trip 2 (PS4) is free on Japanese PS+ right now, since it's only two gigabytes I figured what the hell. It is100x more amusing and less creepy than I expected (my expectations were very bad in both respects though). I mean, I doubt I'll play it forever but it's the only game other than Saints Row 2 I have played where you can give your character new walking/running animations.

edit: also it tells me that I can not YET put on women's clothes.

This is true. You will be able to after a certain event.

Enjoy! (Yes, I have completed this game. I have no shame about this.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, AT2 is a great game. I would assume the PS4 version doesn't run like garbage?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, AT2 is a great game. I would assume the PS4 version doesn't run like garbage?

Yeah, it doesn't do the frame hitching thing.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
There is a Sengoku Basara Sale going on right now https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...t_type~games%7C
Does anyone know if the Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes thing is the expansion pack or if it is Sengoku Basara 2 + the expansion pack? Iīd like to grab the PS2 games but I donīt want to waste my precious PSN points.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first two Disaster Report games will be released as downloadable PS2 Archives in the Japanese PS Store next week.

Here is a small trailer of what they look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYh2_-1as3o

If you don't know, Granzella got the rights for the Disaster Report IP last year. They are also planning to release the PSP Disaster Report game as a download version soon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Those games had all kinds of technical problems but I still liked them. I was sad when the big tsunami canceled the fourth one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wasn't there a ps3 disaster report game that was all but done and they didn't release it because Japan had an actual disaster?

Hope we might still see that come out. I'll import it if I have to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't there a ps3 disaster report game that was all but done and they didn't release it because Japan had an actual disaster?

Hope we might still see that come out. I'll import it if I have to.
Yes, hence my post right above yours. And no, haven't heard anything about it actually being released.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The founder of Granzella, Kazuma Kujo, has claimed that they're bringing back Disaster Report in a big way and plan to have a new game out this year. I assume that by getting the rights to the series back, they also got the materials for Disaster Report 4 and plan to finish the game.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kazuma Kujo is the most badass name one could possibly have, btw.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-post from the PS Store thread:

Both PS2 Disaster Report games are now up:
絶体絶命都市 / Disaster Report ¥1,000
絶体絶命都市2 -凍てついた記憶たち- / Disaster Report 2: Frozen Memories ¥1,000 *link fixed*

Other PS2 Archive Classics out today in Japan. I don't know if any of these are good.
KOF Maximum Impact Maniax ¥1,000
ネオジオ バトルコロシアム / NeoGeo Battle Coliseum ¥1,000
ティンクルスタースプライツ -La Petite Princesse- / Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse ¥1,000
レガイア デュエルサーガ / Legaia: Dual Saga ¥1,234

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 18, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

KOF: Maximum Impact Maniax is pretty mediocre honestly, I'm surprised they're even putting it up. If they put up Maximum Impact 2 though get that ASAP as it's goofy and fun as hell and has an absurd amount of extra characters, costumes, game modes, etc. that unlocked basically any time you do anything in the game. It's awesome. Maniax isn't worth it though you'd be better off getting your favorite KoF game off the Neo Geo Station selection. KoFMI2 came out in the US on the PS2 (under the name The King of Fighters 2006) though so no real point importing if you have that or a backwards compatible PS3.

Neo Geo Battle Colosseum is really good, it actually has quite a few original sprites in it. This game is sort of like an SVC Chaos 2, but with only SNK characters. The cool thing is they have a lot of the cool but long unused ones like Shiki from later Samurai Shodown installments, Lee Pai Long from Art of Fighting 1, and most importantly KING LION from Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter. There's even a few World Heroes characters. Returning sprites have been recolored subtly or in some cases completely redrawn from scratch so nothing clashes. It has weirdly long load times though, and if you have a PS2 the US version of the game is pretty cheap and the loading is slightly improved. All in all a pretty cool game since it has some characters you'll never see anywhere else and is a fun homage to SNK's fighting game history.

Twinkle Star Sprites: Lat Petite Princess is NOT a port of the Neo Geo classic, but a sort of sequel with 3D graphics. The new graphics and art are fully bright pastels and cheery looking, but not as impressive or crisp as the Neo Geo game and its Saturn/Dreamcast port. Unfortunately the original was not released on the Neo Geo Station so this is the only option for gamers without a Neo Geo/Dreamcast/Saturn. This PS2 game is a bit slower than the original. The original is amazing, the presentation is like Bangai-O, Cotton or in that it's barely coherent and unbearably saccharine. It's sort of a puzzle game one on one shmup dueling game. You and your play through the same shmup levels via split screen. Play more efficiently and shoot enemies with the right combos to send more of them to your opponents side and eventually have bosses show up to fight them. It's very addictive and awesome. The PS2 game isn't bad, but it's just not as nice looking. Think about it.

Legaia: Duel Saga, I know some people like it but I thought it was crap myself. Even for an old PS2 game it's pretty bland looking, and the combat doesn't really get interesting. It's sort of like Shadow Hearts in the way that your attacks can add up to some massive combos, but there's very little variety in everyone's abilities. The story and characters are pretty goofy which is a plus. This one, like Neo Geo Battle Colosseum came out in the US and is pretty cheap. So if you have a PS2 or backwards compatible PS3 just get that. Just be warned I only played it when it was new and wasn't too impressed compared to other PS2 RPGs.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yakuza Zero demo is now out. From now until Wednesday, it is a PS+ exclusive offer. After Wednesday, it will be available to everyone:

Link to PS4 demo 5.2 GB
Link to PS3 demo 4.4 GB

If you haven't redeemed it yet and you never had PS+ on a Japanese account, you can claim a PS+ 14-day trial through the PS4 store through PlayStation Plus -> PlayStation Plus -> first banner with the number 14 on it.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It looks like the version of the Capcom D&D games on Japanese PSN this month is the same as the Japanese retail release - it has a whole bunch of interview and guide videos and stuff (though they're all in Japanese!)

I believe the ability for multiple players to select the same character is also only in that release.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The new Kunio-kun game on PS3 caught my eye. Does anyone here know how it is?

Forgot to mention, I think the PS+ PS1 games are finally gone. I can't find them in the Japan store.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 10, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos is coming overseas this Summer. Watched some of this on Life from PlayStation and I'm not really that excited but hey maybe you are.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Is there a Japanese yen card solution yet? What do people use?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I use http://solarisjapan.com/collections/pointcards/products/playstation-network-card
They aren't that fast (so be prepared to wait a day after your order), but the price is okay (10% markup on the 10000 Yen cards, 13% on the 5000 Yen ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playasia's markup on 10k yen cards is around 20% but is completely instantaneous now, so I guess it's a matter of deciding whether that's worth ten bucks to you.

I keep waiting for Amazon.jp to announce they are selling PSN bucks (or digital game codes directly), alongside the PS+ subscriptions they sell now.

• Locked thread