Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
i like how ICP had a gimmick with their albums, each one having 'joker cards' that slowly unveil some profound message that their music represents. I think they did like 6 of these and the message revealed in the last one is 'follow god and get to heaven.' Their loyal fanbase basically got the payoff of 'drink your ovaltine.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Plague
Oct 31, 2009

I WENT TO E3 TO FIND MY DREAM JOB IN THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY.

WOMEN WHO WON'T FUCK ME WHEN I DO NICE THINGS FOR THEM ARE CUNTS.

I AM A PATHETIC WASTE OF OXYGEN.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

i like how ICP had a gimmick with their albums, each one having 'joker cards' that slowly unveil some profound message that their music represents. I think they did like 6 of these and the message revealed in the last one is 'follow god and get to heaven.' Their loyal fanbase basically got the payoff of 'drink your ovaltine.'

In fairness, they played it up pretty hard since like the 3rd album. If you didn't see it coming you weren't really paying attention.

HELICOPTER RIDES

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zombie Plague posted:

HELICOPTER RIDES

There was no mention of those anywhere in this year's infomercial. Does the new venue not have that?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zombie Plague posted:

In fairness, they played it up pretty hard since like the 3rd album. If you didn't see it coming you weren't really paying attention.

HELICOPTER RIDES

These ARE juggalos we're talking about though.

OrangeKid
Feb 12, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttyK2uJ6C6A&t=155s

From pluto to uranus we are underground famous. Poetic gold.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OrangeKid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttyK2uJ6C6A&t=155s

From pluto to uranus we are underground famous. Poetic gold.

The reporter keeps calling them by their stage names which makes this hilarious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole ICP mythos was started because the founders had a tough time making inroads in the music industry as plain old white hip hop artists, especially since the local market was pretty saturated.

Once they created the whole cheesy ICP backstory and whole Dark Carnival thing, they pretty much created a big cash cow created by the misery of the devoted rust belt fanbase.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dswkknq9k08#t=1m1s

Taiight

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I remember in middle school, a lot of popular kids were also into ICP since nü-metal/rap-rock was so prevalent at the time (I never heard the term 'juggalo' until high school, actually). I wonder if they've had that kinda mainstream crossover success with the youth since, or if it was just a late-90s suburban New Hampshire thing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I've been to lots of festivals, but The Gathering was the only one where:
  • A man set himself on fire and danced around then jumped in a lake
  • A helicopter dropped presents filled with prizes from the sky
  • Several trees were knocked over
  • Some guy got hit with a van driven by one of the performers. He was taken to the hospital. Later, I see him wearing his hospital gown and dancing. "THEY COULDNT HOLD ME"
  • Some fat guys in speedos came out of the dark woods and took turns jumping over our fire
  • Several wrestling matches broke out in the middle of no where for no reason at all
  • Violent J almost hit me with a golf cart
  • Bushwick Bill almost hit me with a golf cart
  • While waiting for a Q&A to start they asked if anyone had any talents. One girl got up was a fire breather and another guy crushed a glass bottle with his hand and cut himself up crazy bad
  • A bridge where you could buy any drug ever known to man
  • This all cost me less than a 100 bucks to see

This unironically seems like something fun to attend.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

[*]Bushwick Bill almost hit me with a golf cart

legendary.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tena Twister posted:

I remember in middle school, a lot of popular kids were also into ICP since nü-metal/rap-rock was so prevalent at the time (I never heard the term 'juggalo' until high school, actually). I wonder if they've had that kinda mainstream crossover success with the youth since, or if it was just a late-90s suburban New Hampshire thing.

All the juggalos in highschool with me were morbidly obese. And also drug dealers.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tena Twister posted:

They were popular enough to get a video on MTV (which was big at the time). It was cover song though lol

They were pretty popular in my school too, but only with the spooky kid types and not so much anyone else. I remember the "It's actually about God!" thing came out about then and everyone was so pissed. :v:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
BLAZE YA DEAD HOMIE

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The Droid posted:

i dont see what is the harm in having a laugh at juggalos, they're clowns, clowns are funny

JonStarkTargaryean
May 8, 2014
fa'muh'lee

pre-emptive five.

was it last years gathering that a comedian got hit in the head with a full beer can while riding a golf cart?

it really hosed him up.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
All the titties
All the weed
All the fast food

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Zombie Plague posted:

You just made my life worse. I was content with the notion that the last one came out and juggalos from detroit to pittsburgh listened to the one song that goes like "WE FOLLOW GOD!" and were like, "Wait, what?!"

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 15, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

You just made my life worse. I was content with the notion that the last one came out and juggalos from detroit to pittsburgh were like, "Wait, what?!"

If it makes you feel any better, most Juggalos were still like "Wat, what?" despite how blatant they were about it. Hell, they knew that was going to be the reaction and in the song where they revealed it they repeat the refrain "we're not sorry that we tricked you"

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

axleblaze posted:

If it makes you feel any better, most Juggalos were still like "Wat, what?" despite how blatant they were about it. Hell, they knew that was going to be the reaction and in the song where they revealed it they repeat the refrain "we're not sorry that we tricked you"

that refrain makes me lol so hard when i hear it.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uygw6etW8rQ this is the song in question for anyone who's curious.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 15, 2014

Mattslox
Jan 11, 2004

LIVE IN TREATMENT OK?
Despite all this they're still all about the drug bridges and the hepatitis lakes?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Mattslox posted:

Despite all this they're still all about the drug bridges and the hepatitis lakes?

much in the same way that at this gathering of family love, somebodys gonna get stabbed

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

You just made my life worse. I was content with the notion that the last one came out and juggalos from detroit to pittsburgh listened to the one song that goes like "WE FOLLOW GOD!" and were like, "Wait, what?!"

A lot of the ICP fans I knew of were like that. They were especially pissed because they were all rebellious teens in the bible belt, so this really put a drag on them pissing off their parents.

They were also idiots who carried 2 liters of Faygo around in school as some kind of fashion statement, so I'm not surprised they didn't see it coming.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Grape Faygo is delicious

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Luvcow posted:

Grape Faygo is delicious

I'm not sure they drank it, they just always had it with them because that was part of being down with the clown I guess.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not sure they drank it, they just always had it with them because that was part of being down with the clown I guess.

I just love grape soda. Bought some at a 7eleven and then heard the whole sordid history. Faygo. :(

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i always thought it was kind of weird how much juggalos love hopsin when his tracks mock people like them so much. its true for for the bigger part of his fanbase in general really.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I think it's OK as long as you don't have awful facepaint and wear JNCOs while you drink it.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing ICP figured out was how to monetize the poor, uneducated, white demographic.

It really is an exceptional business strategy. The only other successful business that managed to do it is Walmart.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luvcow posted:

Grape Faygo is delicious

Also Faygo pretty much avoided doing juggalo ad tie-ins for obvious reasons.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I remember Juggalos are the reason Faygo does't give tours anymore

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

axleblaze posted:

lol

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

im pretty sure its cannabis corpse not cannibal corpse playing, stoner death metal band but yeah not cannibal corpse themselves

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sid Delicious posted:

im pretty sure its cannabis corpse not cannibal corpse playing, stoner death metal band but yeah not cannibal corpse themselves

Naw it is in fact cannibal corpse. I think theyve even played the gathering before

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Naw it is in fact cannibal corpse. I think theyve even played the gathering before

Even for them this is the low point of their career.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

axleblaze posted:

FAM-UH-LEE

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Holy poo poo could you imagine working for Faygo and having to give a tour to a bunch of juggalos everyday? I don't blame them. :shepicide:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

ICP has said that in the public Faygo will act like they hate them, but Faygo sends them thank you cards every year along with gifts and ICP are able to get special discounts that they only give to distributors.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
ICP were pretty genius in coming up with a cult to appeal to white trash, so props to them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm disappointed it's not going to be in Missouri. I know people who work at the hospital closest to the proposed site, and I was looking forward to stories.

• Locked thread