Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LAST SEASON

Hunter Hearst Hatesprospects won the AL again, and as is his custom, AV couldn't win the big one and Santa Fe are champs. I literally did not have to change this sentence from the previous OP. Good job, everyone. God damnit.

Elsewhere...

Trenton won 111 games with an offense that kinda poo poo all over itself all year, then was unceremoniously swept out in the best-of-5 divisional round (*eats gun*). Richmond finally putting the pedal to the metal and nabbing a wild card spot (thanks to the additions of Damaso Perez and Moose Sellers) was one of the few shake-ups in the AL, while the biggest surprise in the NL saw Salem sputter to just 88 wins only two seasons after finishing with the best record in the NL. Being in a division of death with Colorado and Anaheim probably doesn't help! Some other things probably happened but I can't remember them, feel free to reminisce to your heart's content in this here thread.

Also, things got back to normal and Art did not make the playoffs.

DIVISION WINNERS

AL North: Trenton
AL East: Tampa Bay
AL South: Santa Fe
AL West: Portland

NL North: Kansas City
NL East: Cleveland
NL South: New Orleans
NL West: Colorado

WILD CARDS

AL: Montgomery, Richmond
NL: Hartford, Anaheim

Notably, all of the division winners were unchanged from a year ago, although three of the four wild card spots changed.

AWARDS

AL MVP: MY CLIENT VIN MENDOZA CONQUERED LEO EGAN'S MVP STREAK
NL MVP: Lance Colbert (Hartford)
AL Cy Young: jennie orbien (Washington D.C.)
NL Cy Young: Deivi Elcano (Anaheim)
AL ROTY: Graham Abernathy (Durham)
NL ROTY: Buck Brown (KC)
AL Bo Chamberlain Award: Bo Chamberlain (Bo Chamberlain)

OUR PITCH TO YOU, THE PROSPECTIVE NEW GOON OWNER

Hardball Dynasty is a game on the sports simulation site WhatIfSports.com. HBD puts you in control of a fake baseball franchise with fake players. You make the decisions. Draft young talent, trade with competing franchises, sign free agents to help you make the postseason, and inevitably lose to jeff in the playoffs. We're looking for dedicated owners to make sure every franchise is run competently, effectively, and, perhaps most importantly, actively. And that's where you come in.

Currently, Dimaggio is a majority-goon world. Most of the remaining pubbies are pretty reasonable, but if you're new to HBD it's always a good idea to run any potential trades by veteran goons. Ask any questions you like in the thread here, we're always happy to give advice to a new owner.

We often don't have any openings, but you should still post here if you'd be interested, because we almost always have teams become available mid-season, or at worst, during the playoffs when someone can claim a spot for the next season.

WAITING LIST

1. Popete
2. SilvergunSuperman

hadn't had those two check in recently so not sure if they still want to be on the waiting list. Otherwise we've got CJL ready to come back at some point, so that's cool.

NEW OWNERS GUIDE

1. Consider running trade offers by the veteran owners in thread. We'll tell you if you're getting ripped off too badly.

2. Figure out a plan and stick to it. If you decide your team needs a rebuilding period, don't abort it halfway through and try to win. That's how you get a consistently mediocre team that doesn't go anywhere.

3. Overall rating is pretty much meaningless, other than to inflate a guy's asking price or determine draft comp.

4. During the preseason, you need to pay more attention to your team than at any other time. After the season starts, you can get away with checking your team once a day or so. During the preseason, you need to be much more active. Don't commit to a team if you can't do that. The main cycles run at (roughly) 3:45am, 11:45am and 7:45pm Eastern, with half cycles in between each. I'd advise that you check every half-cycle, as this is when you get feedback on coach hiring, free agent offers, re-signings, etc.

5. Go through your team roster when you get your team. Figure out what assets you have. Figure out what players you need to protect from the Rule V draft. Failing to do so can seriously set your team back. I'm bolding this part because I'M AN IDIOT WHO LOST THREE GOOD PROSPECTS AT ONE POINT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THIS EXACT THING, SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, TOO! SERIOUSLY!

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions! HBD can be overwhelming at first. There's a lot to figure out, and we've all been through it. Use your goon resources.

7. Don't listen to Art's advice. EVER.

8. Coach Hiring Sucks.

9. Most of all, have fun with it. Don't get too worked up about fake baseball. Unless you're me.

As I said before, our commissioner is the esteemed ThatsMyBoye. You will need to be in contact with him to get the password to the world to be able to join.

:siren: AWESOME THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY :siren:

-ADVANCED ROSTER EDIT. This is essential. If you've got (I think) 3 seasons of HBD under your belt, you can take the stupid, WIS-mandated 'training wheels' off your "Edit Roster" page. That's right, no longer will you have to make promotions one player at a time -- which was always a terrible process when trying to bump up all your minor leaguers. To get to advanced roster mode, simply access the "Management Console" from the "Manager's Office" menu, then scroll down and select "Advanced Mode" under "GM Edit Rosters Options"

SPRING TRAINING INFO YOU WILL NEED

quote:

Set your spring training rest hierarchy and pitch counts

PAs in spring training count towards fatigue in the regular season but the games don't, so you don't want to use your starters as much as you would in the regular season.

HOWEVER spring training is also a good opportunity for your young players to get a couple extra points and if you don't let your veterans play, they might lose a few points. So it's a careful balancing act. I'd recommend inviting some guys to ST from your minor leagues--either prospects you want to develop or mediocre AAAA dudes who can soak up some innings/PAs. Your 25 man roster won't cut it.

Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Spring training squads to invite some of your minor leaguers to camp. Go to Manager's office -> Managers Settings to set your lineup to rest after the fifth inning even if they're losing or leading by only 1. Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Edit Player settings to set your starters to low pitch counts. If for some reason you want them to go deep in games, you can manually force your team to use a 10 man rotation or something. Rotate out your relievers, setting the guys who just pitched to "rest" and forcing the AI to use other guys after games.

The goal is to get your starters at least 10 innings, your relievers at least 3 appearances and your batters at least 30 PAs. After that you're safe from regression. The rest of the playing time should go to backups, bench guys, and minor leaguers.

CURRENT GOON TEAMS -- NOW WITH TWITTER HANDLES!
code:
Forums name / WIS name / Franchise
gardenald / gardenald / Chicago Barons / @gardenald
Scrotos / Fervus / Charlotte Goyim / @scrotos
Operaterp / operaterp / Philadelphia Phatties
Evilbeard / evilbeard / Durham Wolves / @evilbeard
nasboat / nasboat / Trenton Tarantinos / @nasboat
jeffersonlives / tjefferson / Santa Fe Leo Egans / @ihateprospects
dryb / dryb / Tacoma Mount Rainiers
Nerokerubina / koyunlu / Iowa City Subsidies / @A_Fat_Bird
Devo / devomac / Tampa Bay Snowbirds / @Devo1999
Ivan Drago / rmdriskill / Montgomery Burns / @rmdriskill
gyroball / gyroball / Colorado Burrellballers / @RedbirdMenace
ThatsMyBoye / mrincubus / Anaheim Los Angeleses / @paul_boye
Crion / crionjb / Washington D.C. Federals / @jonbernhardt
stimpy / stimpy_5 / Helena Thirty Helens / @sas_stimpy
AlleyViper / alleyviper / Cleveland Attack on Memory / @deanleyland
CaptMurphy / captmurphy / Portland Beavers / @haassauce
Power of Pecota / pecotaredux / Salem Saberhagens / @GeorgeMatanzas
Quasimango / quasimango / Baltimore Chefs
uublog / uublog / Richmond Flying Squirrels / @uublog
Art Vandelay / thaneoffife / New York Vandelay / @ThaneOfFife
AtheistDeals.com / atheistdeals / New Orleans Spirits / @DoubleScorpion
Goetta / goetta / Kansas City Bucks / @SteveMcBarks
chutwig / chutwig / Buffalo Garden Paths / @erhudy
tatankatonk / tatankatonk / New York Metropolitans / @tatankatonk
Insertnamehere31 / insertname / Jacksonville Lynx
Monicro / monicro / Dover Phantoms / @SAMonicro
Politicalrancor / drbluejeans / Arizona Weird Fishes/Arpeggi / @drbluejeanns
ernestborg9 / ernestborg9 / Syracuse Fine Young Men / @ernest_borg9
TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE (IF YOU'VE GOT ARCHIVES)

Season 9
Season 10
Season 11
Season 12
Season 13
Season 14
Season 15
Season 16
Season 17
Season 18
Season 19
Season 20
Season 21
Season 22
Season 23
Season 24
Season 25
Season 26
Season 27

nasboat fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
The reign of terror ends this year.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I'm making a bold declaration: 50 wins for the Metropolitans this season

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

EvilBeard posted:

The reign of terror ends this year.

Yep I find Jeff and murder him in his sleep.

I mean the reign of the Goyim, shall start!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I just want to break .500 again this season. I already know i've messed up my team with all the terrible trades last season, but i'm not blowing up just yet.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAj4DHLO1ow

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Someone give me some players that play well during the playoffs. I need more clutchitude.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Good OP

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERd61bDY7k

Agreedo. Is this what we get with pre-roll threads Egans fans gaining a complex about themselves?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So I was poking around the site and saw in a highlights tab that in the Buckner world a World Series game seven was decided when a guy named Hulk Singleton hit a walk off single in extra innings. I'm sure the sports media of that fake baseball league had a field day.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=62997557

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So I was poking around the site and saw in a highlights tab that in the Buckner world a World Series game seven was decided when a guy named Hulk Singleton hit a walk off single in extra innings. I'm sure the sports media of that fake baseball league had a field day.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=62997557

Three things:

I'm disappointed in Hulk's middling power

That team is fertile in plus-name tools. Starting Hulk, Jiggs Pritchett, and Hick McEnerney in a WS Game 7 is really something

lmao forever if it had been a walkoff error through the first baseman's legs

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

uublog posted:

I'm disappointed in Hulk's middling power

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3447022

Hulk on the base paths

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Hey everybody I know some people were considering taking a season off or whatever, if you're planning on leaving please let me know. Either here or the twit is fine.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I re-upped

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

if you're planning on leaving please let me know. Either here or the twit is fine.

yep, you all just let me know and I'll make sure to pass the word along

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Aww I didn't know the Hulk retired :(

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Hulk

I <3 Butte and I cannot lie

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I'll re-up today or tomorrow.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Hey everybody I know some people were considering taking a season off or whatever, if you're planning on leaving please let me know. Either here or the twit is fine.

I'm coming back for sure, I just have like 0 money atm. I'll try to get stuff together later today.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'm out. Be good to my Rising Stars, unnamed new guy!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So I don't remember if it got brought up in the previous thread, but Vin Mendoza won the AL MVP over Leo Egan by three votes. This is the first season in Leo Egan's entire career in which he has not been named American League MVP.

That's right, Egan has won every MVP from season 13 (my first season of HBD in any form or fashion, beginning in August 2010) until now. :stare:

MY CLIENT VIN MENDOZA CONQUERED LEO EGAN'S MVP STREAK

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Just reserved my spot for next season, although I think i'm starting to get burned out a little bit.

Also i'm pretty sure i've made better OP's than this :)

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

What is that, 14-time MVP?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Also i'm pretty sure i've made better OP's than this :)

oh shut up I will put a real one in there once we actually roll.

tatankatonk posted:

What is that, 14-time MVP?

yup.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Two others of you voted for Cody Belinda, and, why

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

nasboat posted:

So I don't remember if it got brought up in the previous thread, but Vin Mendoza won the AL MVP over Leo Egan by three votes. This is the first season in Leo Egan's entire career in which he has not been named American League MVP.

That's right, Egan has won every MVP from season 13 (my first season of HBD in any form or fashion, beginning in August 2010) until now. :stare:

Yay, down with Egan!!!

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

nasboat posted:

But you ruined his consecutive game start streak!!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Speaking of player awards LMAO Mark Cobb NL Fireman of the Year

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Mark "gently caress Mark 'Mark loving Cobb' Cobb" Cobb

e: Art #ShouldOfKept him lol

e2: I was the only one to vote for Damaso :-(

uublog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 15, 2014

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
jennie finally got his third Cy :unsmith:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dryb posted:

But you ruined his consecutive game start streak!!

I can't remember if I mentioned here in thread how that managed to happen, but basically he was my DH and I forgot to adjust my NL lineups and he sat the first inter league game of that season. I caught it and fixed it after that but I still feel bad. :(

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

We're the only world eligible to roll today or tomorrow so of course this is taking all day

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

We rolled! :finally:

btw: I was bored waiting for roll so I got to looking at the High A playoffs (which I won as a 6-seed :woot:) and noticed that I was really good on the road (10-2) and not good at home (4-6). As it turns out, a lot of High A playoff teams won more on the road than at home; home teams as a whole were 19-36. So I looked at the other levels, too...

code:
Level	Record	PCT
Rk	26-21	.552
LoA	21-31	.404
HiA	19-36	.345
AA	20-27	.426
AAA	21-32	.396
ML	21-26	.447
-----
Total	128-173	.425
What even is home field advantage anymore

uublog fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 15, 2014

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Rolled!

Oh boy is Louie's power rapidly deteriorating. Those last 2 seasons are not going to pretty.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Invites sent for two of the four openings

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
I forgot to re-up, what is the password?

edit: i have successfully reclaimed my franchise which fortuitously allowed me to make an important name change

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 15, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Nerokerubina posted:

I forgot to re-up, what is the password?

I can't seem to find the post now but stimpy's said he's returning, right? It's just the former Vancouver and Hartford franchises that are getting new owners?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Oh then even better. Password is Roosevelt Greene.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Whoever gets that NL East team better take good care of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Devo posted:

Whoever gets that NL East team better take good care of it

Yeah this.