Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Need starters? I have starters. Call me. 1-800-sta-rter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Ill take matt cambridge

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
:siren: Breaking News :siren:

Tucson the latest to take a ride on the Dick Wang Rollercoaster

for 2 years and six million per :laffo:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

AlleyViper posted:

Need starters? I have starters. Call me. 1-800-sta-rter

god dammit now that dumb jingle is stuck in my head

fffffff Rich Xavier still doesn't want to talk extension, so I guess I'll have to like win the World Series or something to convince him to return

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gently caress Tucson and the lovely Low A bench coach I got saddled with at AAA.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

gardenald posted:

:siren: Breaking News :siren:

Tucson the latest to take a ride on the Dick Wang Rollercoaster

for 2 years and six million per :laffo:

career 4.78 ERA lol

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

tatankatonk posted:

career 4.78 ERA lol

I've never quite understood why he isn't better than he is. I mean, his vsr isn't great but he has decent control, vsl, velocity, groundball/flyball, and pitch 1 and pitch 2. I mean, I always thought he should be closer to a 4 era guy than a 5, certainly not a world beater but a serviceable 4 or 5 on a decent team. Any of you HBD scholars care to weigh in?

vvv I completely forgot that he's a lefty, yeah

gardenald fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 24, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
His #1 problem is that he's a left hander with a vR in the 50s. There's so many right handed mashers with decent vL in this world (and most worlds) that he's going to get absolutely teed off on once every few games. If you make him right handed and flip his splits he's a completely different pitcher.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Geez how long does it take for dudes to clear waivers, ive had a guy on it since like monday

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Monicro posted:

Geez how long does it take for dudes to clear waivers, ive had a guy on it since like monday

Two midnights no matter when you waive him. So if you waive a guy at 11:55 basically, he will only be on waivers for 24 hours.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Scrotos posted:

Two midnights no matter when you waive him. So if you waive a guy at 11:55 basically, he will only be on waivers for 24 hours.

oh well in this case i dont think i was paying attention oops

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Something good to know for the newbies: make sure you set your Rule V draft settings before ranking any players. If you rank players, then change the settings, it will adjust the rankings back to the default (because WIS is dumb like that).

This applies to the amateur draft as well.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I like the look of Nitkowski in the 3 or 4 spot on this lineup

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Also Moraga is now available. I need some good bench guys and relievers.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Ugh, politicalrancor, I don't like your Nitowski return at all

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I don't see anything wrong with it considering Nitkowski is making a lot of money and is walking in free agency

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I agree with the basic concept and don't think the return is super terrible or anything, but I wouldn't have eaten over half that outgoing salary. Make them pay for the goods!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Also good job on protecting your players in the rule 5, everyone. I'm not seeing crap worth a drat crap.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Hmm, I did forget that Nitowski is walking... I saw that one right after I saw the York Maxwell deal and was struck by how much money he has to eat this season

e: I've seen like maybe five Rule 5 guys I wouldn't send back immediately, which is a good sign for the world as a whole. No nasboats this season!

uublog fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 25, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Do we have a list of things to change (and later change back) in preparation for spring training? Off the top of my head...

Spring training rosters
- I add everyone in AAA and select prospects in the lower levels

Rotation
- My rotation happens to be already decided this season, so I'm just using the 6th spot as prospect tryouts. In past rebuilding seasons, though, I've gone with as many as 4 or 5 prospects to see what they can do. I use a 6-man rotation to give them all 3 starts, or about 10 innings, which is generally the number to shoot for

Bullpen
- Give your ML relievers 3 appearances, and the same for your minor leaguers if you can

Lineups
- 30 AB is the target here
- REMEMBER TO SET YOUR DH AND NON-DH LINEUPS

Manager settings
- Set player rest to +/- one run, 5 innings into the game, to give your backups plenty or playing time and to not overuse your starters in games that don't mean poo poo

Player Rest
- this determines who actually replaces your starters when you're up/down by 1+ 5 innings in. Odds are the recommendations it sets for you automatically are dumb and bad, so figure out who you want to get the most playing time at each position in the 18 spring training games

Defensive Replacements
- just copy from player rest

Pinch-hitting
- for this I do just use the Recs just because it takes forever and doesn't really matter so I don't care to do it myself

Player settings
- This is super important during spring training. It's where you set your pitch counts for all your pitchers. I'm at 50 Target Pitch Count (which they'll always hit unless they're pitching like poo poo) and 60 Max Pitch Count (which they'll rarely hit unless they're pitching really great) for my SP to start, but I'll gradually increase it for their second and third starts. For Long Relievers, I have it at 25 TPC/30 MPC; 15 TPC/20 MPC for Setups; and 10 TPC/15 MPC if you have any closers. Use a pitcher's stamina and durability to determine what role to put him in, and thus how many pitches he should be good for. Stamina determines how many pitches he can throw in a single appearance before wearing out, while durability determines how fast he gets back to 100%, and thus optimal pitching state.
- For Rest Automatically, I keep basically everyone at 95%, unless someone has really bad stamina/durability, in which case I'll up him to 99%.
- There's rarely a good reason to not let it use a certain pitcher until a specified inning, so make sure all of those are set to 'Any.'
- Finally, the last column is how long a leash you want to give each pitcher. 1 means you let him work through jams by himself, 5 means you go to the bullpen at the slightest hint of trouble. Set your best pitchers lower and your worst pitchers higher.

Anyone have any different ideas, or know of anything I'm forgetting?

e: oh in player settings don't forget to check 'relief' for anyone you want used in relief, i.e. all of your relievers

uublog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 25, 2014

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Hall of Fame gonna be interesting this year

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I have just one AL lineup game for the entirety of spring training.

Cool scheduling, WIS. Appreciate it.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I picked up a neat DH in R5 but have no way to get him playing time, someone trade for him or something!!!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Hall of Fame gonna be interesting this year

Davey Krause
Francisco Ramirez
Alan High
Matt Hunter
Glen Little

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ugh I hate the Rule V roster freeze. I have random dudes I want to sign but can't until the Jerry Scott trade from Friday night clears.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

If I accept a rule 5 player back, will he have to stay on my major league team? Or can I assign him to the minors again?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Insertnamehere31 posted:

If I accept a rule 5 player back, will he have to stay on my major league team? Or can I assign him to the minors again?

You can assign him back to the minors but you're stuck with his higher salary for the season.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Hmm my next spring training has my guy with a 9.00 ERA going up against Montgomery's guy, who has an 81.00 ERA

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

spring training sucks and is so boring, get rid of spring training

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

nasboat posted:

spring training sucks and is so boring, get rid of spring training

But it's so exciting swapping out ML guys for AAA lifers who hit .500 but are still never ever getting a shot at the big leagues

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
or the always fun "play guys who aren't really adequate for their defensive position and watch your starters' stats EXPLODE"

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

stimpy posted:

or the always fun "play guys who aren't really adequate for their defensive position and watch your starters' stats EXPLODE"

feliz navidad
feliz navidad
feliz navidad
prospero aco y felicidad

I wanna apologize for your inflated ERA
i wanna apologize for your inflated ERA
from the bottom of my heart

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

It is boring but I need a week between the off-season and regular season to pretend like I'm being productive at work. Plus, how else would I have discovered Philadelphia's F Phan F Phavorite Pete Iorg?

tatankatonk posted:

feliz navidad
feliz navidad
feliz navidad
prospero aco y felicidad

i wanna apologize for your inflated ERA
from the bottom of my heart

uhm why is he already in the majors?? :confused:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

He's good enough for it and his fielding should rebound a few points even at the ML level

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

ST also doubles as "hold your breath and pray none of your starters suffers death" time

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ThatsMyBoye posted:

He's good enough for it and his fielding should rebound a few points even at the ML level

I just thought everybody waited til 20 games in :shrug:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

uublog posted:

uhm why is he already in the majors?? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvpGGc9Jv8

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

But it's so exciting swapping out ML guys for AAA lifers who hit .500 but are still never ever getting a shot at the big leagues

stimpy posted:

I actually do get some amusement from these things!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

ST also doubles as "hold your breath and pray none of your starters suffers death" time

gently caress this part though, yeah.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I'm not falling for Hub Phillip's perfect spring training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I, however, am falling for this

• Locked thread