Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Quite frankly, you won't. Every day is going to be a constant battle with anxiety and depression. You will gain weight. You will get sick. You will become more dependent on alcohol than you ever thought possible. Really, the only thing halfway decent about call center work is the joy when you quit. Call center work is a special kind of hell where you are ground into servile paste.

As someone who used to work in one of these hellholes. GET THE gently caress OUT. Do whatever it takes, take classes, schmooze, apply every day, offer to work for family if you can. Whatever you do..GET THE gently caress OUT! Call centers are where dreams go to die, don't be caught in that trap.

OH and you will never forget your stupid phone greeting...ever.

"Thank you for calling {redacted}. Welcome to Technical support! My name is Madmarker, how can I help you?"

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I thought this too but that won't last.

How ridiculously loving true, the honeymoon period lasts about a month, mostly because you are excelling and still care.

Do you know how you can tell who is the new person in a call center? They still smile.

Oh I guess I should give my credentials here, I worked for a year and a half as a outsourced Technical Support/Customer Service agent for a VOIP company.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mechacop posted:

Is there some in-joke of scaring people away from this sort of thing? It really isn't bad at all compared to the horror stories you guys tell.

Its not an in-joke. The vast majority of call centers are hellholes where you are expected to meet ever-increasing arbitrary metrics while being yelled at by customers. Hell, the place I worked at gave you a total of 2 10 minute breaks and 1 30 min lunch, and any time over was docked from your pay, on a ten hour shift. They overwork people in desperate situations and make it harder and harder on them. Hell, turnover was ridiculous, not just from burnout, but the people who had the 25%lowest IR (issue resolution) were fired at the end of each quarter. The problem was, you got docked on your IR for stuff you couldn't fix, such as the customer being 2 states away from their network, and needing it fixed, or them having their internet shut off due to lack of payment and therefore being unable to use our VOIP service. If we couldnt get the customer to say we resolved their issue, and get them to mark it in a survey, our IR was docked.

There were a lot of people I really liked at that call center, but no one, save the owner, was EVER happy there. It was depression in the form of a workplace.

It doesn't feel that way at first. At first, your happy to have a job where you can use your people skills. All you have to do is talk. But the constant wear on you is what kills you. One day isnt bad, a month isnt bad, 4 months is hell.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 27, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

PT6A posted:

Can/should I ask to speak to their manager in that event, so I can chew out the person who actually made that stupid policy instead of the low-level person who has to follow it? Does that work?

Not really, they may even deny its a policy. The manager is generally some schmuck who managed not to get fired and snatched an open position, for a minimal raise, but the benefit of being off the phone. There is no one you will be able to talk to to affect change over the phone. If you find out what company they represent you may be able to write a nastygram to the corporate office.

Believe me, no one hates these policies/companies more than the phone workers, they are just stuck in the unenviable position of making these calls so they can afford their Top Ramen and beer for the week. Seriously, no one hates a company more than there outbound and inbound phone reps. Just ask to go on the do not call list, find out what company they work for, and if they call again, report it.

Adnar posted:

I guess you could say I've had a career in Call Centres (28 now) from being an outbound dinner time Telemarketing harasser to inbound complaints for a blue chip, TL, Manager and now I actually manage an offshoring transition to the Philippines (based there).

Honestly my advice (and it's general because I don't know how lovely your conditions or opportunities are) but if you drink the kool aid a little and try to put a genuine interest and passion into what you're doing (either product or helping the customer) it won't take long to be elevated out of the lovely front line jobs because 90% of the people in these positions have no ambition or sense to just knuckle down and try and give a crap. It's a bit rewarding when you're not anticipating despising everyone that may be calling and you may get more development out of it too.

Tl;Dr apply yourself and give a gently caress enough to get off the front line ASAP

Please don't throw a bootstraps argument in here. Great, you managed to succeed in the industry, but how many off-call positions are there? Not everyone is going to be able to get off the phones, even if they put in the requisite work.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 10, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mechacop posted:

Also, I strongly disagree with the majority of this thread. I've been at this call centre now that the OP is about for around 5 months. I really enjoy it, I've been bumped up to trainer, I'm a top performer, and I can show up and work high (most of us do.)

I get a lot of lovely people and sometimes doing the job gets repetitive and depressing. But all in all, I never really think about work after work, and I come out of work every day feeling refreshed and productive and ready to go home and have a good day.

It's been 5 months and I'm planning to stay here for a year just so I can get my coffee mug and make sure I'm guaranteed a job anytime I wanna come back. I'm just glad I'm not soliciting any products or taking anyone's credit card number. Just providing free information on college programs to get my commission.

Then good for you. If you prosper in this environment, go to town, that is infinitely more important than the opinion of a bunch of dicks on the internet. I would hazard a guess though that your experience is very much in the minority.

• Locked thread